Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Personally I rather enjoyed the input. I've always regretted I couldn't find the time to learn how to make 3D images. 

This also brings up a question I have had on my mine ever since I first saw 3D imaging productions. Why can't you make circles and round gun barrels. Also, with 3D human figures; why can't knees be more faithfully represented? They alway look rather odd to me. I've never had a satisfactory answer to these questions.

BTW I've got an update coming soon.... I totally revamped the rear of the superstructure.

Edited by Blackadder

Another update! Huzzah! We wait with baited breath!

To be honest with you Blackadder, I'd think that you wouldn't have that hard of a time with 3D; as it is a lot of taking basic shapes and modifying them into a shape that you want. I think that it the language used that messes with people.

Circles and gun barrels?  If I'm thinking along the lines that you are, it comes down to how you are defining the object to the program; Polygons or NURBs. Polys, your telling the program "draw an straight line from point A to B to C etc. all round in a circle until you come back to A; Where as with NURBs it's A to B to C to D to A and I as the user/builder am defining the curve (called weight) between two of the points.  Maybe a better way the describe it would be this; Take a board with nails pounded half way into it, say 8, in the shape of a circle. Then starting with the top nail tie a string around it, and go, pulling the string taut, to the next and next wrapping the string around each one in turn until you come back to the first one. That would be a polygon circle, a series of 8 nice, equally long, straight lines. Now for the NURBs you start at the nail at the 12 o'clock position, and giving yourself whatever slack that you wish/want/need tie off to the 9, 6 and 3 o'clock finishing back at 12. Now you can go back and define the curve just about any way you wish. A series of a lot of differently length straight lines. 

The take a way being this; Polygons are good for mechanical and man made things, and being that the 'grandfather' of 3D animation programs is AutoCad, polys are the first way to describe a object. NURBs on the other hand are better at describing the organic,and came later, also take more processing power to describe.

As for the knees, I think that it may work down to the modeler/ animator 'forgetting' about the knee cap, and setting up the way that the skin moves as a basic hinge joint without the stretch and drag of the cap on that area.

Edited by Mud Duck

Would that there were an actual model.

Anyway after a great deal of studing of that which I do have, I've made an extensive revamping of the rear elevation. 

After a week of work there appears to be very little difference visually but that belies the actual fact I assure you.

I tackled the quarter galleries once again this time from the top down which while difficult gives the structure more subsatnce.

F8HWBGhl.jpg

The lower deck which I deemed "Engineering" now seems to have purpose.

xj1uSt4l.jpg

I've only done one side of the quarter gallery but it appears to be the correct way to go since all the holes line up surprisingly.

2IOJdsHl.jpg

I finally feel confident enough to apply surface skin to the central Keep and the roof as well.  

U4cJ0JJl.jpg

The Skin Is In

Beginning to be installed that is. A major step forward for the long suffering Blackadder. I have finally reached a point where I am confident to commence applying a surface to the framework.

XDkhfwPl.jpg

Henceforth the bewildering maze of framing material will start looking like a Titan body instead of a hodgepodge of waffle grids.

GPx1OKil.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@Blackadder

I think you've already answered this previously but i can't find it: what's the scale size of this?  28/32mm scale is roughly 1:56 or so.

My own work suggests Titans have a scale problem (no duh), but having got an Imperator myself drawn "life size" in a computer model (approx. 70m total), an 8 foot Space Marine doesn't look that small by comparison...

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I posted this before???? and thanks for the replies BTW

@Blackadder

I think you've already answered this previously but i can't find it: what's the scale size of this?  28/32mm scale is roughly 1:56 or so.

My own work suggests Titans have a scale problem (no duh), but having got an Imperator myself drawn "life size" in a computer model (approx. 70m total), an 8 foot Space Marine doesn't look that small by comparison...

Scale-wise I've seen estimates of Emperor Titans from smaller than my current effort to thousands of feet tall dwarfing the Empire State building. (Ludicrous). 

My representation is about 46.5 inches tall currently (1.1811 meters) I'll leave the math to you ;P Already it is dwarfing my Warlord which is a source of irritation but my Warlord in turn dwarfs the FW effort by over 7 inches and is 26.5 inches tall depending on the pose...... 

Hells Reach an ' omage:

Having watched Helsreach for the dozenth time to get a feel for the next area of construction it was a good time to assemble the model again.

As stated previously; I need a perspective on the courtyard in front of the 'Keep'.

I want to have a staircase leading up to the entry flanked by the enormous statues but also bearing in mind the 2+ meter bore cannon that also will occupy that area as well.

P6N64rJl.jpg

It's also worthy of note that the pelvis, knees and ankles can be posed without toppling the entire structure so my concerns that the legs would not bear the mass of the structure were allayed.

wEpFA8hl.jpg

You can see in the above image there is not a lot of room for my grandiose plans, especially a portico under the huge Volcano Cannon.

qn1gUSSl.jpg

Another feature of which the casual reader may not be aware is that 'Invigilatus' (yes he now has a name) is fully articulated; almost as much as 'Leutus Vexant', my Warlord Titan. 

He can be posed in almost any reasonable configuration; here seen stepping forward with his right leg.

Z2sN7mel.jpg.

My Obsessive attention to detail  dictates all my projects have fully movable joints which gave me concerns about the strength of the joints.

But even with eight extra pounds of sand bags applied this morning, the joints remained viable. 

I do still have to stabilize the ankle joints which is why he is propped against the bookcase. 

This was the cause of the recent toppling's and I am working on a solution.

L3kDYwGl.jpg

Rear elevations coming soon.....

@Blackadder

Scale-wise I've seen estimates of Emperor Titans from smaller than my current effort to thousands of feet tall dwarfing the Empire State building. (Ludicrous).

My representation is about 46.5 inches tall currently (1.1811 meters) I'll leave the math to you ;P Already it is dwarfing my Warlord which is a source of irritation but my Warlord in turn dwarfs the FW effort by over 7 inches and is 26.5 inches tall depending on the pose......

That's still pretty accurate, as Forge World's Warlord Titan is about 22.5" tall with guns and per the Adeptus Titanicus books, stands 32.76 meters in a resting position 'real life'. So your Imperator titan is pretty accurate size-wise per the fluff as it's about double the height of the FW Warlord Titan :yes:

Edited by Gederas

• 2 weeks later...
Whoops again!

It looks like I promised but didn't deliver.... Why doesn't someone tell me these things......

When last I posted I promised some rear views of the superstructure but forgot to post them. Not only that but I didn't even copy them to the Imgur site as well.

So here are the prodigal promised images starting with the current side view:

0fjgJdwl.jpg

The only thing wrong is that one of the corner balustrades is a bit tilted which is fine because nothing is glued yet and I may have to make some changes when I make the crenulations.

The Rear view shown here also presents a problem because it appears the legs are too short (to my eye at least and I might have to lengthen the thigh sections a couple of inches or about 5 Centimeters.

d50lgVDl.jpg

I had this problem with my Warlord as well and it took me a few tries to get the legs to the proper proportions.

Again the quarter view shows the legs look too short but until the top-hamper is relatively complete I'll just have to back burner the fix.... It's no big deal structure wise to remedy the defect if is in fact an actual problem.

ZqYoaYfl.jpg

It may be that the massive white edifice presents an optical illusion and the legs are sufficiently long.

Hey! Who wouldn't like to be a couple of inches taller?

The bigger the better!

I agree that, provided there is no optical illusion, the legs look a bit stubby. Your solution of lengthening the thighs is the way to go! However, if I look at the proportions, I don't think 2"is going to cut it. Broadly speaking, in human anatomy, the thigh bone from joint to joint (pelvis to knee) is about as long as the shin from joint to joint (knee to ankle) but the thigh looks to be only about half as long as the shin, now. 

SNn3LL4.jpg

I am always blown away seeing this. 

I agree that the thighs need a bit more length though not by a lot. If you add too much, unless you add more bulk to the thighs afterwards or add armour plating, there is the danger it will make them look a lot more weedy (I'd add I am surprised they dont have armour).

Googling the old epic model/titan size comparison pictures, the thighs extend further down compared to the groin area where as the knees on your version seem to be just below this. An inch or two could be about right though I hate to be so vague about something you have been so meticulous with

• 2 weeks later...

Lost sight if this blog again. I can supply the missing posts of needed....

Meanwhile:

A Rainy Day:

I'm beginning to think I could effect a cure for a rainy day. This roof has exceeded my expectations and now I am wishing I took more pains with the preliminaries.

EA58kHVl.jpg

Aside from some excess amounts of glue that partially dissolved the surface (which I can rationalize as; "battle damage") the curved roof panels will be sufficient for my purposes.

UzTljqYl.jpg

Here is seen how the panels are held in place whilst the glue is drying.

jRKdUwfl.jpg

This building will be the first that receives the finishing details. 

Thanks for all the replies.

That looks good, but aren't the angles a wee bit - or a bit - off. Your recreation is far more rounded than the gothic-like angles of the roof in the still.

That's called "Artistic License." Actually the angular roof would have been far more simple to reproduce. 

Never let it be said the Blackadder opts for the easier way to do something. :biggrin.:

Edited by Blackadder