Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Outer Dark? Seems to be a recurring theme, was big with the Carcharodons...what's it supposed to mean? Just everything beyond the Astronomican?

Pretty much. Alan and I envisioned it being a major deal with the Carcharodons for some ideas we had going forward (and that we've seeded here and there in the past), but we also mused on the idea of other Chapters needing to take the burden, too. The Outer Dark is the void between worlds, as well as beyond the Emperor's Light, and even beyond the Galactic Rim. 

So there's more than enough space to play with.

"Void between worlds" would be a good playground for some new chapters. Deep within the Imperium, there is nothing as it seems. :)

Sounding very interesting indeed. Awesome way to grant exposure, of one sort or another, to a lot of minor Chapters at once, too. The "barbarian" description also has my curiosity peaked, too - I hadn't previously realised you were going that far in that direction, A D-B :)

This is literally impossible, but if I died without trying I would be doing myself a disservice... A D-B, please: I will pay you very real cash money to make my Chapter a canon reality. What do we need to do to make this happen??

Going by past history Draakur, the going rate is to marry him. Good luck with meeting that price lol

Sounding very interesting indeed. Awesome way to grant exposure, of one sort or another, to a lot of minor Chapters at once, too. The "barbarian" description also has my curiosity peaked, too - I hadn't previously realised you were going that far in that direction, A D-B :)

This is literally impossible, but if I died without trying I would be doing myself a disservice... A D-B, please: I will pay you very real cash money to make my Chapter a canon reality. What do we need to do to make this happen??

Going by past history Draakur, the going rate is to marry him. Good luck with meeting that price lol
I... I understand what must be done...

I guess I'll go and have the talk with the Mrs...

+edit+

I like how I seem to have just decided here that A D-B, nor his wife, has any say in this... :p

Edited by Draakur

Sounding very interesting indeed. Awesome way to grant exposure, of one sort or another, to a lot of minor Chapters at once, too. The "barbarian" description also has my curiosity peaked, too - I hadn't previously realised you were going that far in that direction, A D-B :smile.:

I... I understand what must be done...

I guess I'll go and have the talk with the Mrs...

+edit+

I like how I seem to have just decided here that A D-B, nor his wife, has any say in this... :tongue.:

So - if I understood you correctly the decisionmaking is done by all the A D-B family? :)

When you got your own family, every decision is made by either your wife or your children + wife until everyone has gone to bed. In the night, we're in charge again. ^^

LOL. But I think you are partly right here. Anyway we need Bowden opinion :yes:

20257944_1540629279332291_54279599286472

So, I think ADB mentioned somewhere, that this blurb is quite revealing. What have you all extrapolated from it about the chapter? Barbaric? Chaotic plight? What does it mean?! I'm certainly no detective... Smurf or Raven Chapter tactics? Or wolves...

Edited by Rathamanti

I think it says a lot about how my mind works that when I see that mentor guys name, the Falco song starts going in my head. This being the Imperium, Der Kommissar might just show up too. Seems that no matter how old 40k gets, it always finds its way back to the 80s.

If any of you are wondering who Falco is just search for him on the YouTube.

I think it says a lot about how my mind works that when I see that mentor guys name, the Falco song starts going in my head. This being the Imperium, Der Kommissar might just show up too. Seems that no matter how old 40k gets, it always finds its way back to the 80s.

Some of us are too old, so we know who Falco is, lol :yes:

Some of us are too old, so we know who Falco is, lol :yes:

Rock me Amadeus... Lol

ADB on Facebook: "I spent ages writing these yesterday: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geas

"Every warrior in the Chapter gets one. I sure won't regret that later."

Sounds interesting! What does it mean, though? I must admit, I've never heard about this thing before. Is there some bizarre curse on every brother in the Spears, or are they all Bretonnian questing knights with some personalised rule or mission?

Edited by Rathamanti

ADB on Facebook: "I spent ages writing these yesterday: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geas

Sounds interesting! What does it mean, though? I must admit, I've never heard about this thing before. Is there some bizarre curse on every brother in the Spears, or are they all Bretonnian questing knights with some personalised rule or mission?

You now have my attention.

A geas is a bit like a curse/taboo/oath/prophecy, all wrapped up under one word and considered the same kinda thing by medieval Irish writers.

Tricky thing about them though is that they're like Chekov's gun; if you hear it mentioned at the start of an epic or a mythological story that a certain warrior has a geas upon him, say that he must never straighten his speartip with his teeth, you absolutely know that it's going to be a plot point later on (and the warrior is obviously going to go mad and blind when he straightens his speartip).

But because they were an important part of medieval Irish beliefs, all the characters don't take it for granted that it's going to 'come true', because it's just part of their worldview. Inevitably if you're reading a heroic story with a geas, you're reading the stories where the geas is a big factor. Bit like prophecy in George R.R. Martin's books, where everyone talks about how you shouldn't trust it and it's frequently nonsense buuuut prophecies unfailingly do come true 'cos it's part of the plot.

The only geas I can think of that isn't tied specifically to the life and death of a particular hero is one about how you must not get in a chariot shortly after eating horse meat - so it's just a very general taboo - but otherwise a geas frequently signals a particular event or plot point later in the narrative. I'd imagine it makes it hard to write about in the naturalistic way (i.e. not an epic poem or very formal mythological style) that 40k books are typically written in. Cool as hell but keeping track of individual space marines' geasa is probably the least of the problems to deal with.

Correct me if I've understood it the wrong way, but it reminds me a bit of the Jade Dragons oaths but in a reversed way.

Instead of an actual / regular vow like: "I swear to hunt this guy down." it's broadly speaking more like "I'm obliged to hunt this guy down without using a boltgun."?

Geasa in Irish myth were specific mystical restrictions placed on heroes: the more you had, the more heroic you were. Well, more or less. A lot tales revolve around the consequences of breaking ones geasa.

So the more geas covered you are, the more higher you are in the hierarchy of the Chapter?

It would require a very througout  editing job. For missing/new Geas not to appear/reapper where they are not. If every warrior has one - it's a can of worms to make a mistake. :wink:

But due to him being a truly proffesional and talented author I think the issues would be small :yes:

Pretty much, it's not something you choose for yourself but something which you're told, like a fortune, or is thrust upon you. Like 'you must never spend more than nine nights away from home' or 'you must never hunt a particular boar' or 'you must never listen to birdsong at a particular lake'. So 'you must not slay orks with your boltgun' or 'you must not fight this particular warboss on a world named for a saint'.

The heroic thing comes from having multiple geasa. Shows you're able to walk this tight rope of multiple prohibitions/obligations, getting status or honour or even a kind of sanctity.

It'll be interesting to see how it's implemented in the book. It's unique but feels like the kind of thing that could fit into a chapter's cult pretty well.

Edited by Sandlemad