Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

So those serfs do belong to the Mentors, respectively to a Primaris Mentors?

That means, we're seeing the Emperor's Spears through the eyes of a completely different chapter and their servants?

Or did I miss something?

I dunno man that woman is holding him pretty tight. But it needs less clothing, more sweat, and a skull so you know it's grimdark.

And a boltgun in the guys hand obviously.

"Teresa, did you fluff my plume?"

"Oh Vincent I never seen a plume that big!

You must be so heroic!

No Ultramarine that I have seen as a plume so imposing"

(Still PG 13)

Back on topic, I'm curious to see the spin ADB will give it.

Minotaurs are obviously inspired on Minoan mythology, and Iron Snakes on the planet Ithaka, it's a clear call back to Ulisses.

This is all ancient legends from when the Gods meddled with the Human affairs, I wonder which influences will shape the Spears.

Edited by Sete

I dunno man that woman is holding him pretty tight. But it needs less clothing, more sweat, and a skull so you know it's grimdark.

And a boltgun in the guys hand obviously.

"Teresa, did you fluff my plume?"

"Oh Vincent I never seen a plume that big!

You must be so heroic!

No Ultramarine that I have seen as a plume so imposing"

(Still PG 13)

Back on topic, I'm curious to see the spin ADB will give it.

Minotaurs are obviously inspired on Minoan mythology, and Iron Snakes on the planet Ithaka, it's a clear call back to Ulisses.

This is all ancient legends from when the Gods meddled with the Human affairs, I wonder which influences will shape the Spears.

She is a Sororita, she simply don't know it yet :teehee:

(Still PG 13) - Heresy R+ - SHE SHOULD FIGHT WITH BLOOD AN FIRE!

As for the Greek culture - not everything should be used from where. For Example - Iron Snakes is not the best example how 'correctly' merge ancient greek theme into the W40K. The only good stuff for them was Sanders short in Sabbat Crusade. And upcoming Farrer 'Urdesh' of course.

Oh this sounds good.

So a Primaris is even more distant to normal humans than normal Astartes.

He seems mote rational, bare of empathy, seemingly trying to understand human feelings.

"She finagled her way into his life. When the humpback whales returned toHaven Bay, Tiffany James realized they brought opportunity. Opportunity torevitalize the coastal community and provide security for the inhabitants,including her adopted sister and disabled nephew. Joel Faber had left HavenBay a disillusioned boy. Now he was an immensely successful man and asuccessful developer, and Tiffany desperately needed his help and was sureif she got Joel's backing for her project, the town's future and itsinhabitants would be secured. But Tiffany soon discovered her own futurerested on solving the problems of Joel's past--the tragedy of Haven Bay."

Oh you mean Emperor Spears, not ride the storm. My bad.

Edited by Sete

I didn't get that sense from that excerpt, Kelborn. Has the thrall in question served a non-Primaris, for instance? Personally, the reaction doesn't seem different from those human characters have shown toward the Adeptus Astartes in other stories by A D-B.

I’m sure (well, as sure as I can be) we will; I’m just not sure thrall has (at that point of the story), or that, if she had, her reaction would’ve been that much different.

To address that point, Kelborn, I mentioned a little about it way back in the mists of time, on page 10:

The one thing I would love to see addressed is the relationship between the old guard of Astartes and the newer Primaris marines. I know for the most part Chapters are generally just accepting these guys with open arms  but the differences in level of experience fascinate me.

I always loved the way Iacton Qruze was depicted in the first Heresy novels and there is part of me that wonders how the Primaris see their older brothers and vice versa, how they adapt to their newly assigned chapters or how the original members feel about the sudden swelling of the Chapter's ranks. I think there are some interesting conversations to be had about that and that it is explored in some way.

The approach I am taking with my Summoners is that the Chapter was as set for a beautiful death and then suddenly they are in a position where they find themselves almost handing their culture and history over to the new guys knowing the original guys will probably all be dead within a century. But on the other hand it'd be interesting to see how Chapters that are more accepting of the Primaris go about integrating them into their ranks and culture, if future recruits are made into Primaris, etc.

I'm hoping that it is covered in even just a paragraph so we don't get a throw away scenario of and then there were suddenly Primaris now lets move on. Even if an entire Chapter were replaced overnight it would be nice to see some acknowledgement for the deeds of those that came before them. A sense of history and legacy has always been an important part of Astartes culture to me.

On a personal note, I'm caught there. I don't know how much other people are already writing about it, and it stands to reason pretty much every Space Marine novel in the next 2-3 years will be full of that stuff. Do I approach it thinking I have something unique enough and interesting enough to make it worth saying, or do I risk everyone else already writing it and then just adding to the noise that people would actually get bored of if it became ubiquitous and repetitive? 

Every novel comes with these kinds of struggles, obviously. One of the struggles on this one is the plain issue that famous/named Chapters are already much, much more popular and well-received, and - crucially - entrenched in the context of the lore. It puts newer Chapters at a disadvantage, because many more people would rather hear about the A-listers we all know, or the famous (often savage/violent) B-listers like the Mantis Warriors, the Carcharodons, the Flesh Tearers, the Minotaurs, and so on. Those are guaranteed sales, guaranteed interest, and you can conversely be a lot freer in what kinds of things you put into the novel, because it'll automatically be well-received at the very least in terms of the context people have. To use your exact example: How the Mantis Warriors or Crimson Fists react to Primaris reinforcements is going to be much more interesting (and relevant) for most people than how New No-Name Chapter reacts to Primaris reinforcements. You know? 

So I'm hesitant and careful what I should include in any detail, given the likely fact so many more famous Chapter books will probably have that stuff in already. I tend to avoid "new" concepts, because most people write books in 4-5 months, and it takes me 8-19 months. The new lore is devoured, digested, and published long before my stuff hits the shelves. 

And to add a little more, 8th Edition is set like... a century or something after the Great Rift showed up. To the fandom, yep, Primaris are the new hotness and how they integrate with their Chapters is very relevant and important. But in the setting, after a hundred years, they're just Space Marines now. The Sentinels of the Veil (well, the 2 out of 3 Chapters that are still kicking to some degree) have been able to make Primaris Marines for a hundred years, give or take. Or at least several decades. The differences between the two strains of Marine is, by that point, basically minimal. 

Most people in the Imperium - even huge swathes of many Chapters' memberships - won't have been alive in a time before Primaris Marines. They just see Primaris as Space Marines now.

(That said, for the sake of completion and realism, several characters in Spear of the Emperor do indeed differentiate. They have their own terms for Primaris and Ye Olde Originals, too. But it's not going to be an in-depth analysis of integrating, since that happened decades ago - and as much as it'd be a crowd pleaser and easy money, so to speak... it feels false to shoehorn it in.)

I'm more interested that, administratively, the Mentor Legion are a "replacement" for the Star Scorpions.  But do the Emperor's Spears see them as a replacement("So...you're here to help us, right?"),  or maybe usurpers of the Star Scorpion's legacy ("You're not half the Astartes they were!")?  And are the Mentor Legion just going to be all, "Chill, bros.  We're just checking up on you.  You're still on your own out here."  Have the Emperor's Spears even met the Mentor Legion before?

Chapter interactions, organizational interactions.  That's the stuff I really love.

Obviously they will only make Primaris.

"To the fandom, yep, Primaris are the new hotness and how they integrate with their Chapters is very relevant and important. But in the setting, after a hundred years, they're just Space Marines now."

Edited by Sete

Not necessarily sete.

They may not yet have enough Primaris gene seed to make Primaris exclusively.

They may also still want to make regular space Marines to utilise wargear and war machines that Primaris are too large to fit in.

There is no definitive answer on this in the new space codex, although some things in it suggest normal space Marines are still being produced.

Let's see if A D-B is able to tell us more :)