2.5k Vlka Fenryka no RoW

Runefyre

So I've been tinkering around with RoW-less SW's. Having no restrictions on unit selection is pretty nice.

I was going for a siege-breaking theme.

Guess there's also a rules question here as well. Can Red-blade grant rapier batteries Scout? If he can that opens up a uniquely SW way to use them advantageously. The extra 6" redeployment could really help in Hammer&Anvil deployment scenarios.

Anyway, here's the list:

2,500 points no RoW. Onslaught Force Organisation Chart

HQ (all the hq + command squad pile in the spartan)

Red-blade

Tartaros command squad (power axes)

Centurion (siege-breaker consul, cataphractii terminator armour)

Centurion (AA, Refractor field, great frost blade, 2x fenrisian wolves)

Troops

(1x) Grey Slayer squad (2x power weapons, Huscarl: AA, GFB, rhino DT)

Elites

Legion Rapier Battery (2x rapiers, quad gun upgrade, shatter shells, phosphex shells)

Legion Rapier Battery (2x rapiers, quad gun upgrade, shatter shells, phosphex shells)

Legion Terminator squad (3x chainfists, spartan DT)

Heavy Support

Legion Spartan Assault Tank

Lord of War

Legion Typhon Heavy Siege Tank

Thoughts?

It saddens me that our RoW's are so useless that no one even attempts to use them anymore. Its alot to ask for a complete re-write, but somehow in the FAQ I hope FW at least makes some changes to make one RoW even remotely useful.

As far as the list goes, thats alot of phosphex, it might not make you many friends? Maybe drop one unit (of course your meta might be different and be prepared to handle all of it).

Where does the Onslaught list come from?

It seems like you arent playing to the strength of the list, you only use 1 heavy slot total. If you want an armored theme, why dont you drop 2 of the squads of phosphex and instead add 2 Whirlwind Scorpius and a Vindicator with laser destroyer. I think you would have to drop a few more points elsewhere but Ill bet you could just drop the 2 fenrisian wolves and a chainfist and would have the points. Now you have 4 Heavy Slots filled (which would be the point) and the Vindicator would also take some heat off your Spartan and Fellblade. Just a thought.

Im basically using onslaught so I only have to bring one troops choice. Plus always going second can help someone deal with quad mortars a bit better. Tho against most of my buddies I'll drop all the phosphex. I've only got one power gamer in my meta.

It saddens me that our RoW's are so useless that no one even attempts to use them anymore. Its alot to ask for a complete re-write, but somehow in the FAQ I hope FW at least makes some changes to make one RoW even remotely useful.

Regarding our unique RoWs, I don't think they're that bad honestly. What makes them subpar is the execution of the Warrior's Mettle special rule.

If We could add support characters to Grey Slayers without canceling their unique ability, I could make Bloodied Claw lists that rival World Eater Beserker Assaults.

Pale Hunters is quite good as is, again if Warrior's Mettle were better executed we could better distribute out mandatory HQs so we can bring more toys with our boys.

When Frost Weapons get a boost I'll feel alot happier about Varagyr.

Pale Hunters has too many restrictions on what units you can take all for a +1 to reserve which you can get with a Damocles which you could use as a cheap mandatory HQ anyways- only a few units would actually benefit from hit and run and in the right meta- but I don't want to go further off topic. 

Gotcha, I thought you were looking to run a more armor heavy force.

If Pale Hunter gave turn 1 reserve rolls I would seriously consider it.

If you aren't taking a RoW I think you are better off just fielding what a regular legion list than trying to make use of some pretty mediocre rules. Maybe do a quasi primarch chosen with Leman Russ.

Red-blade is neat but a 85 point vigilator gives scout to the unit your really want to re-deploy, and vets can outflank anyway.

So I've been tinkering around with RoW-less SW's. Having no restrictions on unit selection is pretty nice.

I was going for a siege-breaking theme.

Guess there's also a rules question here as well. Can Red-blade grant rapier batteries Scout? If he can that opens up a uniquely SW way to use them advantageously. The extra 6" redeployment could really help in Hammer&Anvil deployment scenarios.

Anyway, here's the list:

2,500 points no RoW. Onslaught Force Organisation Chart

HQ (all the hq + command squad pile in the spartan)

Red-blade

Tartaros command squad (power axes)

Centurion (siege-breaker consul, cataphractii terminator armour)

Centurion (AA, Refractor field, great frost blade, 2x fenrisian wolves)

Troops

(1x) Grey Slayer squad (2x power weapons, Huscarl: AA, GFB, rhino DT)

Elites

Legion Terminator squad (3x chainfists, spartan DT)

Heavy Support

Legion Spartan Assault Tank

Lord of War

Legion Typhon Heavy Siege Tank

Thoughts?

Well, that is a lot of phosphex and repetition, with all the quads it likely won't be popular in pick-up games, certainly it wouldn't fly where I play. Not a totally unbeatable looking list though, and if that's the way your group or local area like it you're golden. What's your answer to enemy air power? A leviathan would be a thematic addition to a siege breaking list and give you some additional cc brutality too, or alternatively a second/third zone of nope.

With so few scoring units in 2500, you're basically going to lose every game with this. As one gentleman above said, you're not using onslaught in a way that brings out its bonuses. The list is also repetitive, even taking the phosphex spam out of account, 2x Spartans is boring to play with/against. I'd re-evaluate the list somewhat

I agree with all of your points, and I should probably have mentioned in this in the op: I'm not actually intending to buy and build this list. I'm just brainstorming for the sake of conversation to try and make something useful out of our (poorly written) rules.

Archived