DA 8th Edition Info

Ezzeran

Remember that the 3+ ws on power fists become 4+. Maces get similar stats but keep the 3+, making them better overall.

Most things now wound marines on a 3+ instead of 2+ as well.

The only major loss is chapter identity. Greenwing is dead again.

After going over the leaked stuff and sleeping on it. I must say I'm more than a little disappointed. Both DW and RW lost everything that made them good and gained almost nothing. We lost all our relics and half our psychic powers with what we have left sucks balls. This edition is starting to look like 3rd ed with all the book keeping of 2nd.

I think the studio had to do this in attempt to try to balance the game.

Surely we will see more special stuff come back when they release the actual Codex. 

After going over the leaked stuff and sleeping on it. I must say I'm more than a little disappointed. Both DW and RW lost everything that made them good and gained almost nothing. We lost all our relics and half our psychic powers with what we have left sucks balls. This edition is starting to look like 3rd ed with all the book keeping of 2nd.

I completely disagree we got what looks like a balanced rework

We have what looks like some excellent buffs from characters my 1st example is Ravenwing Land speeders who have the Keyword Ravenwing and can re-roll all failed to hit rolls if within 6" of Sammael and that's UNITS not models

We then have the Deathwing Synergy all the characters are now split giving you total control on how you want to build your force with Belail giving re-rolls to Deathwing in the same way as Sammael or go the cheap option and take a Chaplain

We have the shroud dovetailing with interomancy for -2 to hit

Relics and I'd imagine an expanded Librarian table will surely follow and if you think we have it bad try some of the other forums loosing Skyhammer is just too much for some and loosing Ripwing too much for others.

I think the studio had to do this in attempt to try to balance the game.

Surely we will see more special stuff come back when they release the actual Codex.

Pretty much this.

It DOES feel like we lost some of our special identity, but all armies got a similar treatment. Its about balancing out and cleaning up n edition that in its own way hd gotten bloated with special rules, cpunter rules and exceptions.

Things got streamlined, and rules that no longer have a practical effect no longer apply.

Sure, there are downsides, but all in all, it feels like something the game needed. A clean slate ruleswise, to blance things out.

And, surely the Codexes will come along soon to add stuff we feel is missing. And then THAT will become too much, and 9 edition will come along, and on and on it will go.

I for one welcome our alien overlor---aaa, our new edition, I mean. :D

On a different note, how many points you guys think the game will now be played at the most? I managed to set up a full demi company at about 150 points more than in 7th ed

There talking 2000 for a 90 minute game 1500 for just over an hour

To be honest a load of rolling and special rules arguing has bit the dust so these figures should be achievable

Think our Friday night game might go up to 2500 just so we have a bit more to and fro while we sink our Beers and we will still focus on Maelstrom as going back to boring boring EW will only fetch out the camper that lurks within some in our group, could even go up to 3000 and do doubles.

Yeah, by the looks of it, a full company of greenwing (without even a single auxiliary choice from DW or RW) would go for over 3000 points.

Specially since transports got so much more expensive this time around -_-

But, at the same time, footslogging a unit is less problematic, now that heavy weapons can fire on the move.

Question: Do Rhinos no longer allow for models to fire from the hatch?? I see no rule about this on the rhino dataslate. Am I reading this right??

Edited by Berzul

Yeah, by the looks of it, a full company of greenwing (without even a single auxiliary choice from DW or RW) would go for over 3000 points.

Specially since transports got so much more expensive this time around :sleep:

But, at the same time, footslogging a unit is less problematic, now that heavy weapons can fire on the move.

Question: Do Rhinos no longer allow for models to fire from the hatch?? I see no rule about this on the rhino dataslate. Am I reading this right??

seems right. I dont see the rules for shooting out of the hatch. Seems that its gone.

From whats been given out on Warhammer Community on the Dark Eldar focus only those transports that were open topped have gotten any form of shoot out ability and that was restricted in DA's case to x number of Splinter rifles only.

All the shenanigans with flamers from the hull are completely gone

Ok so I played a full game last night. I'm not going to condone piracy (I still have my preorders) but someone had every page of every book online at some point. Played 75 power against ynarri. Obviously there was quite a bit of fumbling about but we played 2 and a half turns in about an hour and a half. The game was pretty much decided well in my favor at that point.

My list

2 Deathwing Squads

1 Deathwing Knights

Belial

Ezekiel

Land Raider Crusader

Deathwing Champion

The ynarri had their triumvirate. Several groups of wyches, harlequins, Illic, rangers, and 2 venoms with kabalites.

Single greatest thing that won the game: Belial gives reroll to all hits for Deathwing UNITS within 6", and you get to deepstrike whatever you want around him without scatter.

Being able to throw in a random THSS in our squads is awesome again, due to the wound shenanigans from 5th coming back. Not to mention THs flat 3 damage was pretty fantastic. I greatly approve of the storm bolter buffs. Drop down and get 4 shots per. LRC is absolutely punishing to infantry. With a bit of luck on the morale it took out 3 different units in a turn. My opponent had numerous small groups (wyches and harlies), taking 3-4 wounds off each and some poor morale took a lot of guys off the table fast.

Ynarri are still strong with their strength from death, and I was under constant threat from the Yncarnes Gaze power (1,D3,or D6 mortal wounds). Ezekiel saved my butt there. Venoms are actually surprisingly durable and can put out a TON of fire.

Over all I think once people get a handle on their rules, 8th will be fast, fun, and just a ton of carnage.

Hi.

Imperial, Chaos and Xenos Indexes are not codexes at all.

The main idea of them just give you posiibility to test new 8th edition.

Main rulebook cleary say that in future we will get full codexes with unique warlord traits, stratagems, relics and soon.

seems right. I dont see the rules for shooting out of the hatch. Seems that its gone.

Just when I was about to get my gracv cannon in a rhino dev squd ready... pitty...

I've been reading back, and in other parts of the forum, but I can't find a definitive or clear answer to this. I'm sure there is, but I can't find it, so I ask this here. I hope it's not redundant.

In matched play, is the basic equipment indicated in the dataslate, considered as part of the cost for the unit?

I see boltguns and chainswords listed at 0 cost, which leads me to believe that the models are bought naked and unarmed, and you have to pay for each item of gear that they are supposed to come with.

Is this the correct interpretation?

I've been reading back, and in other parts of the forum, but I can't find a definitive or clear answer to this. I'm sure there is, but I can't find it, so I ask this here. I hope it's not redundant.

In matched play, is the basic equipment indicated in the dataslate, considered as part of the cost for the unit?

I see boltguns and chainswords listed at 0 cost, which leads me to believe that the models are bought naked and unarmed, and you have to pay for each item of gear that they are supposed to come with.

You have to pay for every piece of wargear, even the default items. That is why some stuff is listed at 0

You have to pay for every piece of wargear, even the default items. That is why some stuff is listed at 0

Exept for special character (as point cost are mentionned "including wargear").

Nobody for my question about Nephilim ? 

Hi all

no more TH\SS + CML option, only CML + SB\PF?

Nope, still possible.

The entry for the CML is now "Cyclone missile launcher and storm bolter".

So you grab the CML, it comes with a SB, you replace your SB and fist with a TH/SS or claws.

Ok so here's where I'm at right now with all these leaks

1. Sammael

2. 2-3 Darkshrouds (at this point my interpretation is that the -1 to hit would stack from taking multiple shrouds, but that could change)

3. As many black knights daisy-chained into the 6" bubble as you can fit

4. Take advantage of our plasma being 2 shots even at 18" range, while using our 20" move (with advances/turbo-boost) to stay at arms length from the enemy at all times

5. Profit

You're raining plasma on the enemy hitting on either 3+ or 4+ with re-rolls, while they can only hit you on 5s or 6s, and you might even get a 5++ from 'sinking' if they ignore your armour.

What's not to love, other than it being horribly spammy

Honestly, drop n' spray deathwing seems pretty not bad. Were it not for the requirement to have half your stuff on the table at the start, I'd be all about dusting off my old deathwing army. Shoot middle launchers at vehicles, storm bolters at infantry, and charge a third squad? Seems great.

Belial/Company Master in Terminator Armour with plasma cannon Deathwing means you can re-roll 1's on overcharged shots!  Yowza!!

Sad to see no special characters for Successors.

Honestly, drop n' spray deathwing seems pretty not bad. Were it not for the requirement to have half your stuff on the table at the start, I'd be all about dusting off my old deathwing army. Shoot middle launchers at vehicles, storm bolters at infantry, and charge a third squad? Seems great.

Well, on the plus side, we're no longer beholden to teleporting in just to get our special rules.

So you can run some ground based dreads (TLLC+ML is pretty good for putting some damage on tanks from a distance, stick it in cover and it can be hard to shift), and maybe drop a DW Ancient, an Interrogator-Chaplain, and a squad of Knights in an LRC (maybe even invite a DW Champion for some more oomph).  With those mini-heroes counting as units, you'd be surprised at how few models you need on the ground to give you a good amount in the sky.

That should give you leeway for Belial and a swack of shooty Deathwing to teleport in and crumple the enemy line (and maybe even get a charge off).

Dark Angels begged roboute to keep 1st and 2nd company. In every other respect they are becoming ultramarines

Wait... what?!

That was an oversimplification. ;)

DA didn't beg, they petitioned which sounds a bit better than begging. :D

And we still have unique enough stuff that makes us are no more Ultramarines than before.

Not to mention that aside from the first two companies, the Dark Angels already were effectively Codex compliant, like any Ultramarines Successor would be, we just have one less Battle Company. So honestly, this is no change at all from what the Dark Angels already were as a Chapter, it's simply how the Legion helped hide in plain sight for 10 millenia.

The real question to me is what did change?

Where were the Primaris DA slotted in, the reserve Companies?

Edited by Bryan Blaire