Modular Industrial Table WIP **now featuring terrain**

NTaW

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Got a few minutes to work on the tiles today and realized I've done almost all the 'hard' tiles first! The seven tiles left after these three are all canal and raised tiles with far less to paint on them, with the exception of one tile that is the end of the pool area. Here's hoping that the back half moves quicker!

36272636066_fb91afdeae_c.jpg

Thanks for the nice words! :tu:

Can't believe I forgot to share this. Introduced a pal to the new edition of 40k a while back. I ended up losing in a fun Space Hulk-esque game but was blown away by my first ever roll on this table. When called upon to make four 5+ saves I rolled:

35509631563_069dbe9ff6_c.jpg

Totally felt the love :lol:

Currently taking a break from painting the table, just about to start drybrushing those three tiles. 3x3 table here I come!

As it stands now it is reminding me of the installation missions from starcraft... which reinvigorates my interest in ZM and Shadow wars...

:lol: perfect. I always liked those missions. 

Hilariously despite my intent for this to be a SW board I think I'll end up playing 40k on it more often since there's less setup and rule mechanics to deal with at lower point levels. Not to mention no tokens.. X-Wing kinda ruined tokens for me. 

I'll be cutting some mdf bases for my pipe sections today at work, gotta start blocking that LoS!

You should walk a squad, a dreadnaught and maybe a knight thru it for some pictures. I look forward to seeing some photo batreps on the results of his project!

:lol: a Knight. Definitely wasn't considering anything that big when I started building. Wasn't really considering anything bigger than infantry really...we'll see how that plays out.

I'll take a few pics with models soon, had to get it all put away pretty quick as my little dude was showing it the wrong kind of attention at the time. At least he's interested! :sweat:

• 3 weeks later...

I've done nothing to work on the table, but managed to get a couple games in. Everything's pretty fun so far! The ruins were just some stuff to throw on the table...kinda makes me want to get on some dumping stations.

36807731325_c79c2e4797_c.jpg

36410679960_fc73123169_c.jpg

One Warrior is totally looking at the camera.

36667973581_d7ae9c1d29_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Captain Mike! :tu:

No pics because there's no real visual difference my camera can seem to capture, but I've started using Mod Podge to seal in the tiles and holy smokes does it work great. The balsa wood would take a million coats to never break, but with two coats on chipping with fingernails as people reach in to grab dice or models just isn't a thing anymore. Not to mention it gives the whole tile a sort of hard plastic look and feel which is kinda cool. No longer worried about tiles chipping on the sides as well bumping into each other, even digging my nails into spots only yields little dents as opposed to broken and flaking spackle.

It may be a bit expensive (depending on what you think expensive is) but damn Mod Podge is great.

A little late to the party, but this has resonated so well with the board project I intend to dive into once my Necrons are done I can't help but subscribe.

Unfortunately, being as late as I am, any ideas or suggestion I could contribute to construction fall a bit useless, but I am curious - your original posts didn't mention what the base of these boards were that I could find (I could also just be blind!). Looks like a wood of some sort?

This is an awesome board you have put together! Loving the extra detail its getting, even those pallets from the last two pics.

ha! Glad you find them a pallet-able choice for scenery :teehee:

I think I'm going to make more but slim them down....somehow. They're just so huge to my eyes.

A little late to the party, but this has resonated so well with the board project I intend to dive into once my Necrons are done I can't help but subscribe.

Unfortunately, being as late as I am, any ideas or suggestion I could contribute to construction fall a bit useless, but I am curious - your original posts didn't mention what the base of these boards were that I could find (I could also just be blind!). Looks like a wood of some sort?

I used 1/2" MDF board to build everything up from. By all means if you see something you'd have done differently toss it out, hindsight and review are wonderful tools for learning.

This is an awesome board you have put together! Loving the extra detail its getting, even those pallets from the last two pics.

ha! Glad you find them a pallet-able choice for scenery :teehee:

I think I'm going to make more but slim them down....somehow. They're just so huge to my eyes.

Haha. In 40k everything is bigger. Ships are bigger, wars are bigger, marines are bigger so why not make a bigger forklift and all will be well!

I would deffinitely say try to put some boxes and barrels on them and covered with a tarp. That would look sweet.

Yeah, they aren't even painted that's just balsa wood glued together right now. I have some various odds and ends to put on them before they get covered with tarps (PVA+tissue paper) or camo netting (PVA+gauze bandaging) before they're finished. Probably look a lot more sensible once that's all happened.

Update on the table: I've got 5/9 painted tiles sealed with Mod Podge now, and have noticed that they have been darkened by the sealing by quite a lot. It just so happens that I like the look but were I to do it again I might have gone a bit further than I did with the highlighting knowing it would all get muted with the Podgening.

Yup, though next time I make some I'm going to be doing it a little differently. PVA glue and water in a plastic container, soak flat piece of news/tissue paper, soak gauze, put gauze on top of flat piece, place on model. I think it will give me a better final product. As it is now there's lots of spots where boxes poke through the netting and while it looks cool it may now take me a lot longer to paint than otherwise.