Modular Industrial Table WIP **now featuring terrain**

NTaW

Nothing like a short break to reinvigorate the work, eh? Jeeze. Two and a half years later I am in a house with space enough for me to have a gaming area and I've got myself a 3d printer. Sure enough I found some STLs for walkways and here I am, tinkering away. I hope to have a solution to my walkway/platform woes soon.

49799135451_8ffcedc35d_z.jpg

Edited by NTaW

Thanks Petey! I've been working on resizing the supports and went with a thinner walkway. Still pondering railings but this is where I'm at now.

49802191588_1ff8345d82_z.jpg

My platform entrance is coming together, though I will have to build two or three options so the sewage dumping station can be used no matter the tile configuration. So far I have these two ideas for when it's facing a flat tile. Any first impressions on which one looks better? Positions are rough since everything's just leaned in place. Expect ladder and foot positioning to be much more aesthetically pleasing once I figure out orientation. I think I have enough space to run railings down the sides and middle of the upper level of stairs, and if I did option 2 I could use the space at the edge of the platform (toward the tile) for random storage bits or some kind of monitoring station.

49806950697_3305a2aaa0_z.jpg

49806638301_824f5ca179_z.jpg

Edited by NTaW

Thanks Petey! I've been working on resizing the supports and went with a thinner walkway. Still pondering railings but this is where I'm at now.

40k OSHA definitely does not exist so i'd think you'd be good whatever you decide :D

Are these individual structures going to be fully modular too or are they fixed and section based?

My aim is as modular as possible, though with regard to the platform that gets to the dumping station and the multitude of set-up situations I will build a couple different platforms to make sure the larger terrain piece can always be included. I think my goal is becoming that I'm going to make a terrain piece around this platform since it comes off to a big blank tile anyway. The other one(s), since the exit will come off the main piece into thinner ground areas and over top of canals, will be...something else? :laugh.: one problem at a time. The smaller walkways that span a canal will be scatter terrain to make movement easier and break up LoS a touch.

Edited by NTaW

Dang it Petey, why'd you have to go and put the idea that terrain stays on a tile? :laugh.: My goals have been revised. I'm now aiming to place this dumping station in the middle section of my three-tile "pool" area with only one stair going up to it since my railings can be spaced to (hopefully) not make it look weird. I had the materials leftover to mock up the same style railing that I've been using on my one existing walkway, here's the results:

49810226131_d028c2fb3b_z.jpg

49810486807_488c9306f1_z.jpg

I'll be gluing the supports under the walkway after I place the L-beam moving forward :sweat:

I have to order some more styrene to keep going with the railings but I think this will help tie my scratch-built terrain in with the printed stuff a little bit more. It's also nice having some physical building to do in addition while more parts print. 

That looks great. Have you played any test games on it, or are you waiting for it to be fully complete?

I've played a few pickup games with a friend using all my own models to show off the scenery and teach the rules of 8th, but that's it (a few pictures back some pages). The current situation sort of hampers having people over (plus I keep moving further and further from the area where the LGS space is) but I'll be ready with a table by the time this is all over hopefully.

Edited by NTaW

Today's progress. Tomorrow should see a second tank stack like in the bottom corner as well as some pipes and other features for that area as well as supports (with individual square feet like those added if you can make out the bottom of the small catwalk, will be adding rivets....oh, how I didn't miss rivets :laugh.::teehee: ) for the large platform.

49810428983_4d42a2f00a_z.jpg

Edited by NTaW

nice work!  i love the whole "installation" sort of tables.  i definitely want to do much of the same.  tho i will likely just dive head first into the new plastic ZM as i already have a bad habit of signing myself up for big projects...

Thanks guys! CFH, I'll be doing a ship/bunker interior table as well once I finish this then a proper 6x4 40k table. I'm already starting to tinker with creating my own objects for printing and there's is just so much available through thingiverse already that I can't resist. Sneak peek at the idea: magnetic whiteboard laid flat on the table and fridge magnets on the bottom of all the floor/hallway/wall sections :teehee:

As for this little gem! I've finished (with the exception of railings and unless I change my mind) how the blank tile terrain will go and pulled out another few tiles to get a 3x3' area to look at as I develop ideas.

49821625907_41e5817431_z.jpg

49820775258_4f3ef45e24_z.jpg

49820775108_bc33365e1d_z.jpg

49820776538_d16386311d_z.jpg

Next up: 300mm high columns representing ceiling supports for blocking LoS and offering cool places for sniper's nests! ..as well as another narrow walkway or two of course. Supplies for more railings is on order as well.

Edited by NTaW

Busted out the pipe terrain I made up for the table initially and it fits perfectly underneath the stairs of my catwalks. This was entirely unplanned and wholly welcome! The top of the pillar is likely done printing now, my goal is to have a few of them as well as the dumping station showing a low ceiling by being cut off ~12" above the (topmost) table surface. I've also slapped some spackle on the sides of the third pool tile and a raised tile so I can try and match the paint jobs I have previously applied. Much progress!

49827075866_902b4924ba_c.jpg

49827075886_4522a4a3b3_c.jpg

I'm going to make another catwalk or two as well as at least two more pillars while I spackle, paint, and seal these two (or maybe more??) tiles.

Then I start work on the 40k-level freight elevator for the second (/another) blank tile terrain option.

Thanks hushrong, the idea was to have as many elevations as I could pack in and it would seem as though I'm succeeding! :lol:

The column is done and ready for accessories, I have another catwalk to assemble, and I've sanded down the sides and slapped some paint on the two tiles I spackled yesterday. It's not quite the right colour of grey, I may mix something and try again to get it a bit closer. They are a fair bit darker than the originals.

49831655651_9d57b0452e_c.jpg

I've redone my design for the column base (some noob errors) and had a successful (re)print, now I'm going to redo the measurements on the column sections so they fit a bit more snug.

I will need to customize files for printing the elevator in ways I have never done so that is taking a minute to figure out. In the meantime, and to take breaks from computer work, my goal is to get another three tiles finished so I have space to see (and show) all this terrain together: the two I'm working on and my second raised tile (the other "easiest" one to paint and where the elevator will go).

I'm a bit torn on an platform overlooking an edge of one of the overflow area tiles. I'm circling around these two options:

Option 1 (imagine a second corner piece completing the walkaround:

49833761642_64ed99dd4a_z.jpg

Option 2:

49833670151_b1ff870dd8_z.jpg

Anyone feel like weighing in to help me decide? Open to other options/ideas as well.

Your terrain is sweet. I'd honestly love to play some games on it as you have it now. So knowing you have more in the works just makes it sweeter.

As for the platforms is there a way to make it swappable? Both are great and I am assuming they will have rails too right? If I had to pick one though I'd go for option 2. With rails and adding some control consoles it would be cool control platform.

As for the platforms is there a way to make it swappable? Both are great and I am assuming they will have rails too right? If I had to pick one though I'd go for option 2. With rails and adding some control consoles it would be cool control platform.

The "why not both" idea may yet win out! My idea for the 2nd option was a little like yours only that it would be a spray-down platform at the short edge(/edges?) with a hose and some barrels/controls or something. I imagine workers would call it the diving board and standing there hosing down the grates (ok both short edges, I will need two) would be a total newest-person-on-site sort of job.

..I now may have a third option that uses a narrow walkway straight out :sweat:

It's been a fairly productive day I'd say. Got a tile finished and sealed and the grey isn't right but I don't think it will matter much and I can (maybe? It's all a guessing game :lol:) do better on the rest of the tiles. Comparison shots with the newly finished raised tile added to previously finished tiles:

49838619857_f084d17311_c.jpg

49838321011_11c29eae9a_c.jpg

I now have 10/16 tiles complete with two WIPs, one being painted (3rd pool tile) the other with spackle drying (2nd raised tile). I even have managed to get one leg of the elevator assembled and am stoked for how this is going to look when complete.

49839221492_93d82cb05e_c.jpg

One side of the elevator is complete, though the cylinder support for the platform isn't glued in place. Once I've got height figured out and it is glued I'm thinking I'll be putting magnets in them and the platform so it isn't some monstrous terrain piece waiting to break.

49846006483_b7a42095c5_c.jpg

I just finished smashing objects together, smoothing out edges, and redoing rivets on the platform in tinkercad. It's going to be 14cm square and I'll have to make a platform that sits in front of it with stairs so that people can get off since it can't sit directly at floor level.

I genuinely feel bad for the poor sap that had to deliver those pallets to where they are in the sump. Whoever designed this section of the Hive did not make it pump-truck accessible :laugh.:

EDIT: I don't think I have to glue the platform support to the rails, at the moment I have small bits of toothpick stuffed into holes on the inside of the support that grip snugly inside the grooves on the rails and there's a tooth at the bottom that clicks in. I really hope with the platform magnetized to them it's stable enough since being able to set the level of the elevator pre (or during...slow escape!!) game would be a cool addition to the piece.

Edited by NTaW

Getting better at mixing my grey and got the third pool tile finished this morning. It's a bit lighter because I don't have enough mod podge left to seal it, which darkens everything up a touch and gives it a shine. It's likely still a little too light in the grey and a bit too dark/brown in the green but it'll be close enough I think.

49849927258_58b9cd19fd_c.jpg

I hope to have enough cheap black paint left to finish the second raised tile today. Completing it will bring me to 12/16 tiles painted and a 4x3' playing space available.

Just the railings left to do for the platform (/everything) on the elevator and I'll have to figure out how to properly balance the thing but at least it was a successful print! 

49853065872_21fd1afdf6_c.jpg

Also I got the 12th tile done, depleting my hobby supplies to a minimum but giving me a finished (table, anyway) 4x3 playing space.

49852767291_e7328a8fb0_c.jpg

Edited by NTaW

Elevator entrance is solid. I'll be doing a drop plate from the elevator to the entrance platform and a chain going across the top level as if you would move it aside when servitors are loading things out. I really hope that styrene comes in soon so I can start hammering out some railings all around.

49857301362_8fea7507e6_c.jpg

More pallets!

49864427771_851360de4d_c.jpg

Hopefully stores open up here soon and I can get some painting supplies. I feel like yellow is going to be the feature colour on the terrain, to help make it stand out and to give me an opportunity to paint the colour without caring about the finish (I say this after giving up on both Imperial Fist and Bad Moon collections :lol:).