Modular Industrial Table WIP **now featuring terrain**

NTaW

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :tu:

This table was definitely designed with smaller scale skirmishes a la Shadow War/Necromunda, and the table represents the first two of five levels of play I have planned. Walkways will be just above the pipelines (~2" from grate floor) with the occasional observation platform for extra space to fit models. There will also be dumping stations able to sit down in the 'room' tiles that add two walkway levels around a central pipe structure coming down from the ceiling (if you will) that sit above the main walkways.

There's also blank and simple pillars that I'm going to make that will reinforce the idea that there's a ceiling to the play area. I may put a sniper nest up in one or two just so they offer a little bit more than just blocking LoS.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now finished sealing the 9 tiles I have painted and after playing another couple games using ruin terrain I have decided I need some more thematic stuff for true enjoyment. Figured I would start with what will become a sewage dumping station, since they will be fairly tall pieces of terrain that I can build walkways out from. This is the main floor (wip) that will have a pipe coming down from my 'ceiling' through two levels of walkways (with work stations of some sort) to dump sewage into what I've been calling my 'room tiles'. Once I finish the trim on the other side I can start reinforcing the bottom and adding the legs. This first level will stand 5" up from the bottom of the table (sewer channel), or 3" up from the main walking level (mesh tops).

37417737716_ba787f818d_c.jpg

Edited by NTaW

She definitely likes making sure there's fresh fur lining all of my projects :lol:

Cut the pipe to the length I wanted, bottom hole is so snug it actually supports it already. Second level build but just kinda propped in place about 3" above the main level. There will be supports echoing the lower ones propping it up soon enough.

36866482854_667cef14d3_c.jpg

Edited by NTaW

Ok higher levels always get me excited as it'll be awesome and really looking forward to seeing more.

Have you ever seen this blog?

https://thenickeninja.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/zombies-in-the-underhive/

He has a 4 minute video of his many level underhive that I find an excellent source of inspiration and have plans to emulate one day. Along with that video if you have a dig round there are some brilliant WIP stuff.

Ok higher levels always get me excited as it'll be awesome and really looking forward to seeing more.

Have you ever seen this blog?

https://thenickeninja.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/zombies-in-the-underhive/

He has a 4 minute video of his many level underhive that I find an excellent source of inspiration and have plans to emulate one day. Along with that video if you have a dig round there are some brilliant WIP stuff.

Must be a devout followed of Slaanesh judging by the music in the video (based on the amount of time it took me to take in, reach forward and mute) :lol:

Gorgeous scenery though.

Oh man that is nice!

A few more of those and some catwalks and you will have a crazy Necromunda/Shadow War battlefield.

Thanks, there's catwalks planned and pipelines mostly made, though I may only make one more of these dumping stations really. I do have a couple smallish platforms planned as hose-down stations to intersperse throughout the walkways (maybe to help change direction as well), and larger pieces of terrain planned for the fully raised tiles (the ones with no sump channel in them). 

Got the top level's shadow marked on the main level, and have started cutting out pieces for the supports. Hopefully will be able to finish at least the four legs today. So far, so square :tu:

37562574702_28d07e74ae_c.jpg

Haha sorry about that. If you dig around there is a whole ton of wip stuff and the details of his raised ares with cranes and walkways that are really cool.

The platform is coming along nicely and more of that will really suit the board. What plans do you have for railings as platforms and walkways without cover can often be a death sentence.

Haha sorry about that. If you dig around there is a whole ton of wip stuff and the details of his raised ares with cranes and walkways that are really cool.

The platform is coming along nicely and more of that will really suit the board. What plans do you have for railings as platforms and walkways without cover can often be a death sentence.

:lol: no worries at all it was hilarious. I often wonder, as a musician who occasionally works on audio for short films and the like, what people are thinking as they put music over something. Sure some people just slap a track on there and move right along but every now and again there's a reason for it.

Ahem. Here for models. Right. 

The terrain there looks quite nice everything is very detail oriented. I would be interested to find zoomed out shots of some of that big old table you referenced at first to take in what's going on better.

As for my stuff, the walkways will be lower than the bottom platform of my structure by about an inch. Easier for me to build stairs up than try and make everything level with an uneven table surface I think. There will be railings but they will be sparse. The centre of the build will be more blocked off once I build the monitoring station-esque stuff around on the main level. With 40k it's easy to just say 'this piece provides the benefit of cover' like what's done with Ruins, for the purposes of Shadow War I may add stuff leaned up against the railings to provide further literal cover. I am most certainly keeping LoS and cover in mind as I roll forward with this, but in my mind it's a service station not made for general warfare so anything I add will be suitably ramshackle. Once I add the two fully raised tiles and make larger pieces of terrain for them there will be a far more congested feel I think. This piece is roughly 8" square at its widest and around 14" tall (12" above the main floor), the two larger pieces will have at least a 10" footprint. I'm thinking one will be a large platform with a service elevator on it and several skids/crates strewn about.

Looks like the makings of an oil rig

Just about. Sewage dumping station, think of it like sump juice being dumped from the hive above into these channels. They do this because...reasons.

36896663554_8bf3b5e287_c.jpg

The top level legs were really high when I took this picture, holding the platform at almost 3.5" instead of 3". There will be a noticeably tall piece of piping coming up from the top, about three times the model's height, to imply where the ceiling is.

Finished everything but the fine detail work on the main platform centre console thingy and glued the legs for the second level in place, though the second level is still sitting unattached (don't think the legs were glued in place for the second picture, but that's basically where they are).

37675657191_6b41ba00b4_c.jpg

36965031174_2865902db0_c.jpg

One I finish the small details I'd like to add to the consoles it's on to the ladder between levels I think, so I can glue the top in place finally. Railings I'll have to work out once I've done some hard thinking on my walkway system. I have the design and materials at least.

Finished the console details, glued the 2nd level in place (after playing a stupid game with leveling it off a bit better), and am ready to start work on the ladder between levels and the railing up top. I think I may have to add some supports in underneath on the main legs as well, to pull two in that have waffled out a bit but more to better support them as they are just glued by the edges of a tube to the bottom and are ~5" tall.

37663205962_a997e1325e_c.jpg

37663206892_f55098f19a_c.jpg

36985362674_f07836a409_c.jpg

EDIT: Got a bit more time, did work on the ladder. Pink part not glued in, and I cut them a bit long to give me leeway with the railing.

37440922050_482aced144_c.jpg

Edited by NTaW

Woo railings! Decided to only to one entrance to the main platform. The piece can easily be turned on the spot to whatever heading is desired during setup anyway.

37675078356_fc1c02bff9_c.jpg

37691288762_ba40e7c8a2_c.jpg

Next up: some details around the pipe on the top level once I figure that out.

Thanks BrotherJim :tu:

Finished the top details, not bothering with supports underneath. Aside from going in and GSing weld lines all over the place to fill in little gaps my brain has already moved on to building the walkways. That should be interesting. I'm currently thinking of doing support sections that can be placed whatever way they need to with walkway sections separate that sit on top (magnets, for sure). For now here's pics of the top details and some full shots of Sump Station #1. I'll be coming back to it once I know how the walkway is going to connect up to that gap in the railing out front.

37689811236_e02e668c95_c.jpg

23885549548_3442c05134_c.jpg

37028850054_236d53855b_c.jpg

37067812673_2857408c71_c.jpg

Well, the walkways I had planned are not going to work. My table isn't flat in that there's 1/4" height differences all over the place on the top that essentially stops me from being able to put a modular walkway system on top of a modular board...or at least my brain isn't able to come up with it. I spent a few hours a couple nights ago with the board out and paper cutouts of what I planned on building and came up with this solution.

24004007958_a7cedf9593_c.jpg

The sump station I built will have a raised platform in front of it with stairs coming off either side, and I'll build another one the same way that, in this picture, would sit opposite of it. The three squares will be big support pillars with ramshackle sniper nest sort of platforms up top. The idea will be you have to use a full movement/advance to get up there or be deployed up there (unless you can FLY of course). The big square off to the side will be a large 10x10" platform with a freight elevator on it. I'll also be making some raised foot bridges to go over any canals that need to be gone over. Pipes just kinda sit around doing whatever at this point. Once I get those things done I'll see where the board's at, there's more ideas if I need to fill in some more space.