HH to remain using 7th ed rules

YESSSS biggrin.png

As excited as I am for 8th, I'm super happy that the HH will be staying in its current form for at least a while longer- and in a format that will only add to my red books.

Maybe they'll shift to 8th down the line, which I wouldn't be against, but I'm glad they stuck to the adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", although maybe the new rules will in fact fix whatever issues the HH has.

Either way, I'm excited. thumbsup.gif

You know, I'm a bit divided on it (even considering that I still have to play a single game of HH, and haven't played a 40k game in years, I've always been more of a collector): on the one hand, I'm happy that they will probably keep the "7th" edition rules until they release all 18 legions (maybe even a bit longer to fully flesh out the other armies, and the Emperor and chaos-juiced primarchs); on the other hand, 8th edition looks quite promising ( plus power swords got a significant boost, as an Imperial Fists player that's just great happy.png) and it might have helped convince a couple of friends to give it a try. Anyways,if this is temporary solution (which might lasts some years biggrin.png) until everything has been released and then FW adapts everything to 8th, that would probably be a fantastic solution, as it would allow people to choose their preferred edition knowing they could use all the Horus Heresy has to offer. That might very well be the last gift from Alan, and as usual, I think most HH players would be quite pleased with it yes.gif.

Have to agree, HH has worked perfectly well with 7th edition rules so I see little reason to change it. Also with different rules from standard 40k now they truly will be two separate games which I'm also perfectly happy with.

Different rules make it harder for people to learn the rules and further breakdown the community into smaller groups.  This will also reinforce in people's minds the HH is a niche within a niche.  And make it difficult for people to use HH with 40k, which is a reality for many and makes it harder to transition.

I read the statement "Horus Heresy will use 7th edition rules for now" as "Horus Heresy will use 7th edition rules until Forge World release their Battles in the Age of Darkness red book, a tweaked and updated version for 7th edition designed to be compatible with all existing Horus Heresy books", rather than FW saying they will update to 8th edition eventually.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Bob_Hunk/Horus%20Heresy/18765083_10154745772598831_224826592_o_zpsgvy73ulu.jpg

Image Credit: Battle Bunnies

BOOM! Totally called it! biggrin.png

Not certain I'm happy about being right though. On one hand it's good that I don't have to re-buy the HH books I already own, but on the other hand I really like the direction 8th is taking, a vast improvement on 7th, IMO.

Still, I suppose we don't know exactly what the Age of Darkness tweaks to 7th will be... mellow.png

This is the best thing I've heard all day.

Now while Inferno needs helps, the setting itself is fantastic.

So, so friggin relieved.

I have to ask why?

30k has its own armies, has its own missions. Now they decide to possibly make their own rules to fit their armies and missions and people are less enthused??

I'd much rather see the results of FW making rules than the sanitized version of warhammer being released

I have to ask why?

30k has its own armies, has its own missions. Now they decide to possibly make their own rules to fit their armies and missions and people are less enthused??

I'd much rather see the results of FW making rules than the sanitized version of warhammer being released

Honestly? Because the theme, story and the enthusiasm of the people I got to play with only just made the mechanics bareable.

I wouldn't describe it as clunky but after 18 years of patches the game is showing its age. Its antiquated and not inline with modern game design.

Heresy is not ok imo. Its just on a smaller scale so many of the issues appear smaller but the core mechanics that make certain things impossible, or require extensive bans and comps remain the same.

I love the Horus Heresy the ruleset however I could love without very easily. No change is disappointing in its own right. The manner in which it was handled was offensive to me as a customer. Given the enthusiasm for 8th and the volume of 40k players and armies in my area I expect this to be the end of HH locally which we were only just starting to get a self sustaining community for.

I also understand HH was initially picked up by the most conservative players from 5th edition who were resistent to that change so I expected the community to be split on this issue.

I mean, either way there would have been backlash from customers.

Adopt a new edition and force people to buy more rulebooks after just having invalidated a 3 month old campaign book? Keep the old edition and keep all the old books, but retain the more serious flaws of that edition

It depends what issues this new rule book addresses and how soon it will come out. It is a a deflating kind of feel though, 8th had so many cool new rules and removed a lot of clutter and the hype was fantastic, now I look at all the 8th edition stuff and none of it matters.

Hopefully the new rules will have a decent faq section that will bring some of the lesser played units in play and tone down some of the others.

So far, the only thing I got from it is that people are *hyped* for 8th edition, a ruleset that not many have played yet, one that has many differences from regular games, and that could very well blow in everyone faces. I expect it to be good, but the thing is, we don't really know how well the game is going to be without proper testing. In fact, I applaud the 30K team to keep it 7th edition because if the 8th edition becomes unbereable to me, I will still have HH to play a more traditional version of 40k. 

Ran 

Its quite possible that 8th edition makes some units unplayable. On the other hand, currently certain units are unplayable so that's a wash imo.

What units in 30K that are unplayble in the current set?

Ran

Is this a real question? Basically every power armoured combat unit. Dreadnoughts, most legions contemptors, destroyers, several automata.

That excludes units of undefined roles or units with defined roles but without the mechanics to futfil that role.

Is this a real question? Basically every power armoured combat unit. Dreadnoughts, most legions contemptors, destroyers, several automata.

Maybe if you play like a lemming.

That excludes units of undefined roles or units with defined roles but without the mechanics to futfil that role.

What? All the Legion rules are in line with the 7th edition and the Age of Darkness set, you just have to look into the Red Books where they are all legal. 

Ran

Unplayable in regards to being significantly out performed to the point of redundancy.

Power armour combat units have been struggling for years. Not to mention u its on the other end of the spectrum like the whirlwind scorpius whos outsized strength relies kn the strength of the core rules it uses.

Dreadnoughts look like an excellent unit in 8th edition without weapon destroyed and immobilized results.

Either way I'm not going to be drawn into a debate regarding the individual usefulness of units. Since the naysayer is always going to be on the defensive and ultimetly lose that discussion.

I have to ask why?

Because personally I have been less and less excited about playing 7th ed 40k/30k since playing more AoS. The 7th ed rules compared to AoS are just soooo clunky and, for me anyways, don't really add anything to the experience other than time wasted looking up stuff in a rule book. Again personally for me I get everything that I enjoy from 40k with the AoS rules.

Seeing how great and elegant the rules look for 8th edition I have been beyond excited to play this new edition and for me the 14th can't come fast enough. Seeing that HH will keep 7th ed rules for the foreseeable future just absolutely deflates my enthusiasm to continue with my HH forces as I can't imagine going back to 7th edition after 8th. It also will make it far more annoying to play a 30k army against a 40k one. Everyone in my local area was perfectly fine doing that but now I can't count on bringing a 30k army and being able to get a pick up game with anyone.

To sum up: I have continued playing 40k and 30k since AoS came out because I love the settings and the armies and such. I enjoy the game in spite of the rules not because of them.

Again this is just me and I don't begrudge anyone enjoying 7th edition over what 8th looks to be, but I just wanted to give more of a reason for me losing motivation to work on my 30k stuff after this.

To no one in particular but rather to all the people complaining about 'useless'  and / or 'unplayable'  units or gross issues with how 30k works:

Why not just play a different game if it's that bad ?  No one's forcing you to play 30k.

Archived