8th Edition & BA

Charlo

I've just realised, tactical-type marines in general all come with bolter and bolt pistol as standard. Since pistols can now be fired in combat, this effectively means that all tactical marines get a bonus attack in combat, no?

Only from the second round of combat onwards, if the opponent does not disengage.

@sfPanzer: I have not yet read that a pistol no longer counts as a CCW or that you no longer get an extra attack for having two CCWs.

Edited by Quixus

I've just realised, tactical-type marines in general all come with bolter and bolt pistol as standard. Since pistols can now be fired in combat, this effectively means that all tactical marines get a bonus attack in combat, no?

Only from the second round of combat onwards, if the opponent does not disengage.

If the opponent disengages, you can still shoot them with your pistols in your next shooting phase :wink:

It gives the tacticals a small boost in protracted combats where neither side wishes to disengage and lose their units shooting.

Edited by Xenith

Hey all! I am just getting caught up on this thread, but I had some theories about 8th and blood angels! Of course, I think we can expect to see furious charge resurgent on us (maybe on the defensive side too?) But what if we also get to see the khornate rules of a bonus attack on charge/defense?

I know... I know... we don't want to be loyalist khorne replacements, but I think the point we are missing is that when you charge you strike first- meaning that they almost certainly took away that extra attack bonus! So even if we get charged we can lay on the pain!

Another theory is that we will always "strike first" similar to some whfb armies. I view this as less likely due to the defensive nature of the ability.

I think jump pack bonuses are well overdue, but new deepstrike rules could be an inherent buff!

After reading about slaanesh Daemons almost always striking first I could see us gaining a similar perk.

I have always felt we have enjoyed the benefits of two of the pantheon's chosen astartes. With less heresy of course. We could very well be the loyalist equivalent to those aforementioned armies.

I doubt we'll get an always striking first rule. That's Eldar stuff(and thus Slaanesh daemon as well). It doesn't really translate well to Space Marines no matter how good we are at close combat.

Maybe we get some silly and situational rule that we can attack once more when the enemy falls back or something like that (which wouldn't even be THAT bad if you think about it).

I think dante will have something as well seeing as he can roll on strategic in 7th

I'm hoping there will be marine and even ba specific ones though. Maybe a boost to cc ability or all jump pack deep strikers get some sort of buff

Edited by sebs_evo7

I have a couple hopes for the B.A. in 8th. The first being that we gain access to all the FW and Codex goodies that the other chapters have, such a Centurions, Stormtalons, and the like. GW has pressed on us that we can common sense use those things, but...I would rather they just officially gave them to us. Second thing is that I hope that charging from non-assault vehicles is a thing now, because I love the look of Assault Marines without jump packs, but found them near useless, and I believe that they will become at least useable(all that matters to me, I'm not competitive but I also don't have a death wish), in 8th edition if the vehicle rumor is true. I can see a 1st Co. Archangels force and a flesh tearers force in my 8th edition future to fight alongside my Custodes and Inquisition army.

I actually don't want us to get centurions personally. I'd prefer we got a different, faster unit that fit our army better. Centurions are cool, but they aren't within the realm of Blood Angels (who prefer speed to such a degree that they reverse engineered a fast engine to ensure vehicles could keep up with the assaulting forces) :p

Also remember that the Blood Angel rules also represent our many and varied successor chapters...

So just because the parent chapter cares not for a particular piece of wargear or tactic, doesn't mean all of them would think the same.

We are united by our shared blood, not shared minds.

But my favorite ironic part is that we, the Astartes who most closely understand air superiority, get fewer fliers than any other loyalist chapter.

I personally dearly want access to the Stormhawk. Such a cool looking flyer.

But blood angels still use Terminators and devastators, both 'slow' units.

BA prefer close quarter fighting, and liked dreads over tanks as they did fight in combat and were more mobile - centurions are more mobile than Devs, and the assault version can fight.

This gives me high hopes for assault centurions. I can't wait to see how buffed they get, as I really loved the idea of them, but they just couldn't cut the mustard previously. Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

BA prefer close quarter fighting, and liked dreads over tanks as they did fight in combat and were more mobile - centurions are more mobile than Devs, and the assault version can fight.

This gives me high hopes for assault centurions. I can't wait to see how buffed they get, as I really loved the idea of them, but they just couldn't cut the mustard previously.

They were fine, just a tad niche - very few units could rock S10 Armourbane at I4... And pair it with Meltaguns! It's just WS4 that hurt them.

Honestly? I'd expect them to be utterly brutal in the new edition. Same effect as Melta, roll 2D6 and pick the highest for damage. So they'll be ripping total chunks out of monsters and vehicles, but lack the raw defensive stats of Terminators.

Very interested to see if they get an extra wound, seeing as Terminators have.

While were on the subject though... Devastator Centurions with all Bolter Loadouts will be getting:

6 Heavy Bolter and 12 Regular Bolter shots a turn per model - you could even have them with 2 Lascannon and a Missile shot each... Dakka, dakka, dakka my brothers.

Neither of which are as slow as centurions. And as for the devaststors, it often says that they abandon the devastating part due to the thirst and give up yheir advantage just to get to melee :p

Neither of which are as slow as centurions. And as for the devaststors, it often says that they abandon the devastating part due to the thirst and give up yheir advantage just to get to melee :tongue.:

Really now? The unit that has/had the rule Slow&Purposeful and in 8th will have an inch less movement than regular Marines isn't as slow as Centurions? :rolleyes:

Neither of which are as slow as centurions. And as for the devaststors, MATT :censored: WARD it  often says that they abandon the devastating part due to the thirst and give up yheir advantage just to get to melee :tongue.:

FTFY :P

I eventually stopped taking Devs in 3rd/ 4th because they always decided they needed to edge closer to the enemy rather than shoot the Missiles...

Neither of which are as slow as centurions. And as for the devaststors, MATT :censored: WARD it  often says that they abandon the devastating part due to the thirst and give up yheir advantage just to get to melee :tongue.:

FTFY :tongue.:

I eventually stopped taking Devs in 3rd/ 4th because they always decided they needed to edge closer to the enemy rather than shoot the Missiles...

This is probably what made me charge things with my Devastators. Honestly, BA Devs are awesome!

Neither of which are as slow as centurions. And as for the devaststors, MATT :censored: WARD it often says that they abandon the devastating part due to the thirst and give up yheir advantage just to get to melee :tongue.:

FTFY :P

... try third edition Charlo... it's been around long before Ward.

And who has slow and purposeful in 3rd? The BA currently don't have any slow and purposeful units.

See this is what pisses me off about Ward Hate. He didn't write a lot of the fluff. Most of it he rehashed from previous editions. But because he wrote a few bad things now everything from a previous edition gets blamed on him now, and we can't hold a real conversation anymore.

As an aside I wouldn't be miffed if we got centurions, I would just prefer something different that fits our faster assault theme that all sons of Sanguinius share.