8th Edition & BA

Charlo

The Ward hate is deserved tho imo. At least for the fluff he actually wrote/stole from fanfic. Rules-wise I can think of only the current Space Marine codex as fail and only because of some of the formations. It's not like it's the Craftworld Eldar codex. :D

Anyway, I agree that not everything bad that happened in the history of 40k is about Ward. Bad things happened before, bad things happened after. There will always be one who writes crappy fluff/rules (looking at you Cruddace).

My point was that even stuff that has been part of the Blood Angel lineage since we had the flaw is now being forgotten shrugged off as Wardian despite being the one of the most important characteristics of our chapter.

Ward's fluff was abysmal, but his rules for the BA codex at least was pretty good. While it allowed a few more assault squads than a battle company would have I have yet so see much fluff where a single company wnet to battel and had no support from other parts of the chapter. Especially for the razorback assault squads in the army list, is it so hard to imagine that fluffwise they are actually tactical squads that eychanged their boltguns and heavy weapons for chainswords and special weapons?

I think not being able to over watch, and having no invulnerable save for the points they cost was a big deterrent for me. Especially when they were clearly meant for (G)MC and AV14 hunting, yet were too slow and too vulnerable to the high amount of ap2 everywhere. I can't tell you how many times drop pod would come down to turn a land raider to slat, only to be counter charged by a MC that chewed through that T5 2+ save, or shot to death by all the grav.:(

RIP assault centurions.

Chapter tactics are now represented by the key word:

<Chapter>

It's mentioned in the new marine article that BA, DA, SW etc are included in this. So we have hope, brothers.

Rules for those interested:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/15/primaris-space-marines-gaming-may15gw-homepage-post-4/

New40kIntercessorDatasheet.jpg

Edited by Charlo

These models look amazing! Although the fluff behind them is a little...meh.

I can't help but think these models are GWs solution to the true-blue problem. Based on the teaser, it sounds like they're planning to release a whole new army line with these guys. And while they don't want to invalidate the existing space marine line, I wonder if the intention is to have these guys replace the standard marine models in the long term (ie. by 9th edition).

So the Faction Focus: Tau is out and while most of it probably isn't of interest here there's still one interesting piece of information.

Flamer can only Overwatch within their range apparently. So if your opponent gets off a lucky charge or can charge a really long distance (Jump Pack anyone?) the Flamer might not be able to Overwatch at all.

hows it going to work with the codex/companys 

6 tactical squads

2 assault squads

2 devastator squads

its say these primaris have repaced there fallen bretheren

Edited by redshadow

Looks like more classic GW Design Philosophy:

1. Begrudgingly hear/acknolwedge problems with tournie results, cries of imbalance, rules problems and armies that are not selling.

2. Re-design game from the ground up with the justification that now "everything can be looked at and rebalanced all at once!"

3. Completely fail to address the problem that resulted in Point #1.

Cannot make a judgement on tau until we see the point cost.

The guys playtesting know the current power builds and issues in the game. These will have been factored in. Don't forget, they break the game for a living.

Also, the flamers have to be in range for supporting overwatch fire. You'll still get the hits if the flamers unit is charged themselves.

Did you guys seriously hoped Tau would just sit there and wait for the enemy to catch them in melee where they can't do anything?

Either they have some serious AP on their shooting so they won't get caught in melee or they get special rules that help them survive once they got caught in melee. It's just delusional to think Tau wouldn't get anything to help them with those problems.

Keep in mind that shooting seems to be a good bit weaker in 8th than we are used to in 7th. The Missile Pod that simply deleted 4+ armor Infantry before, now reduces them only to a 5+ armor and if they are T4 only wounds them on 3+ instead of 2+. Cover not included. Also it seems that Markerlights won't boost their BS anymore but instead let them re-roll 1s. Tau have BS3 which is pretty bad for a shooting army and re-rolling 1s will help them only that much without being able to increase their BS and/or ignore Cover.

I expect Markerlights to work pretty differently in 8th. Instead of "spending" them to get an effect (which was pretty silly anyway) i think they give a specific effect based on how many Markerlights there are (like re-rolling 1s on the to-hit roll with only one Markerlight).

So yeah a lot will change. One thing won't change tho. Tau won't just sit there and wait for the enemy to catch them in melee without fighting back. And that's good imo. As long as it's balanced. It's also only the Battlesuits who can fall back and shoot btw.

Let us just wait and see what the point costs and the rest of the rules are before we judge. So far I'm pretty excited about the new Tau. They seem fun to play. Whether it's too strong or not is currently impossible to judge for us.

Primaris Marines are really exciting. The thought of all the Xenos encountering them for the first time is just beautiful, especially if you imagine this is happening while they are being crushed by a sea of 8ft monsters:

Orks: DEM BEAKIES GOT NOBZ TOO! LET'S SHOW EM OUR NOBZ IS BETTA!

Eldar: The Monkeigh are playing god again... OH KHAINE HIS FIST IS THE SIZE OF NY BODY.

T'au: Caste leader, it is Astartes, what do you command... They look bigger than norma-OH Ethereal HE'S CRUSHING ME

Posted · Hidden by Jolemai, May 15, 2017 - Unnecessary
Hidden by Jolemai, May 15, 2017 - Unnecessary

Eldar: The Monkeigh are playing god again... OH KHAINE HIS FIST IS THE SIZE OF NY BODY.

"fist" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

...oh wait we weren't talking about Dark Eldar, right? My bad. :P

The Primaris announcement sealed the deal for me; goodbye for now 40K.  Maybe once this whole nonsense fluff has been retconned and the whole SM line has moved to the new scale I may return to collect the new models as a new army, but for now I will just sit and keep painting away my squat marines.  Maybe I'll buy a Knight at some point because my wife loves the models, but that will be it.  Well done GW.  Just when I was boarding your 8e hype wagon, you pulled the ladder from under my feet and pushed me off the cart.