8th Edition & BA

Charlo

I stand by my earlier guess that you will have a choice of attempting to sweeping advance or overwatch at full BS against disengaging units.

The FB hint about conga-gunlines being a bad idea makes me think combat-winners may get to charge another enemy unit instead of/as well as sweeping advance.

I also wonder if Fear will force enemy units to Fall Back.

I stand by my earlier guess that you will have a choice of attempting to sweeping advance or overwatch at full BS against disengaging units.

The FB hint about conga-gunlines being a bad idea makes me think combat-winners may get to charge another enemy unit instead of/as well as sweeping advance.

I also wonder if Fear will force enemy units to Fall Back.

I'm hoping for this with everything I have. Overwatch as many times as needed only makes sense if I can keep charging as well.

Fight phase is up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/02/new-warhammer-40000-fight-phase-may2gw-homepage-post-4/

- priority based on previous phase, chargers going first

- activate units in turn

- free 3" movement upon activation, can drag other units into combat (without facing overwatch)

- some units can interrupt and attack out of sequence (or use stragem cards granted by formations)

- units 'generally' hit on 3+ (top tier on 2+)

Edited by Taeknologik

Works very well. I'd imagine we'll have some ways to get priority activation with our unique stratagems from formations and such.

Big blobs of Death Company just became potentially very scary - always striking first, more than likely always hitting on a 3+ and able to pull more victims into the carnage <3

Our traditional combined arms approach of warfare is going to make us wonderfully versatile methinks!

My guard friend is going to be upset about piling in to other units. I really like this. The chargers going first means that we always have a chance to strike even against elder and bloodthirsters if we charge them.i wonder if hammer of wrath would still exist? It would be juicy to charge a small unit, kill them with that then pile into another unit. Still the pile in is to the closest unit, so it would require good placement on our part to take advantage of this, and the enemy would have to be wary of it too.

This is all very good news. Gun lines are either going to have to spread out or get multi charged. The former means diluted firepower, the latter multi assaults. Even if they all fall back, that's a big chunk of the army that cannot shoot next turn.

With lascannons allowing a 5+ save for TDA, terminators might be great to eat overwatch for the rest of the army.

I think shooting will still be powerful, but when you have a dedicated assault unit or two in your opponent's lines, they will be hard to dig out if properly supported.

Brb. Off to buy more San Guard.

Fight phase is up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/02/new-warhammer-40000-fight-phase-may2gw-homepage-post-4/

- activate units in turn

- free 3" movement upon activation, can drag other units into combat (without facing overwatch)

- some units can interrupt and attack out of sequence (or use stragem cards granted by formations)

It's only dedicated CC units that hit on 3+ according to that article.  

Fight phase is up:

- activate units in turn

According to the unit profiles they released of a standard Space Marine, all SM hit on 3+ in CC and in shooting.

Works very well. I'd imagine we'll have some ways to get priority activation with our unique stratagems from formations and such.

Big blobs of Death Company just became potentially very scary - always striking first, more than likely always hitting on a 3+ and able to pull more victims into the carnage <3

Our traditional combined arms approach of warfare is going to make us wonderfully versatile methinks!

I'm already starting to think that the idea will be to maneuver all melee units into position, and then have them all Charge on the same Turn. That way you get to deal devestating army-wide blows to your opponent who has no choice but to sit there and take it ( :cuss you, Initiative!) for an entire Turn.

Alternatively, maybe the trick will be a slow-drip of units piling in every Turn. Basically T1: get a unit to lock up the the enemy in combat (without running away...). T2: have another unit assault so it can strike first. T3: have 3rd unit Charge combat, so it goes first T3 as well.... etc....That sort of perpetual dog pile (new band name, I call it!) could work very well for those of us who prefer jump pack MSU.

Also, it seems like the Fight phase will be its own mini game in some ways. In subsequent rounds of combat, players take turns "activating" combats. So I imagine we will want to devise strategies where a TH/SS Termie unit with a Sang Priest ties up enemy A since they can weather ongoing rounds, while  we choose for Dante and the Goldenboys (new band name! I call it!) to go first against enemy B.

My guard friend is going to be upset about piling in to other units. I really like this. The chargers going first means that we always have a chance to strike even against elder and bloodthirsters if we charge them.i wonder if hammer of wrath would still exist? It would be juicy to charge a small unit, kill them with that then pile into another unit. Still the pile in is to the closest unit, so it would require good placement on our part to take advantage of this, and the enemy would have to be wary of it too.

I also play IG, and already my mind is thinking about taking Infantry Platoons just to have cheap 10 man skirmishers out screening units at all times. Speaking of...you bet your chapless Slaaneshi :cuss that I am going to be fixing bayonets and charging with my Guard! Charge of the Light Brigade, baby!

Fight phase is up:

- activate units in turn

According to the unit profiles they released of a standard Space Marine, all SM hit on 3+ in CC and in shooting.

Right. But I imagine most units will be 4+ or even 5+ (Tau, IG, Dark Reapers? Some MC's?). I think the idea is that SM start to get a taste of their fluffiness in the sense that your average SM is somewhat = to the dedicated assault units of other armies.

I can't wait to see what Sanguinary Guard look like in 8th.....though I am a bit concerned that once again the crunch won't come anywhere near the fluff.

Glaive Encarmine speculation

Hidden Content

Do you think these will have Strength boosts? Armor mitigation? D3 wounds?

Anyway you cut it they gotta be better somehow then their lame 7th incarnation.

This is all very good news. Gun lines are either going to have to spread out or get multi charged. The former means diluted firepower, the latter multi assaults. Even if they all fall back, that's a big chunk of the army that cannot shoot next turn.

With lascannons allowing a 5+ save for TDA, terminators might be great to eat overwatch for the rest of the army.

I think shooting will still be powerful, but when you have a dedicated assault unit or two in your opponent's lines, they will be hard to dig out if properly supported.

Plus, with the whole "Pistol being able to shoot in Assault Phase", it would be reasonable to think that Tactical Terminators may be able to Shoot their heavy flamers and Assault Canon in melee. Also, Assault Terminators already got a great boost since now Power Claws will be able to tear through all enemies.

BA Assault Terminators with Power Claws before V8 => Useless against 2+ armour, Vehicles, Dreadnought.

BA Assault Terminators with Power Claws after V8 => Usefull against all. (Usefull => Powerfull, if BA still have +1 Strenght on charge....)

Edit : And Terminators are Two Wounds now.

Edited by Frater Antodeniel

Just saw this in the comment thread:

http://imgur.com/eqdRg5p

For those who may not be able to link to it:

Hidden Content

http://i.imgur.com/eqdRg5p.png?1

Well, that dials melee (and my enthusiasm for 8th) down a few notches.

THanks, Panda, for finding that!

Edited by Indefragable