8th Edition & BA

Charlo

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/04/new-warhammer-40000-the-great-rift/

Those of you familiar with the Warhammer 40,000 universe who have seen the new galaxy map, will certainly have spotted at least one major change.

The Great Rift is a tear in reality that essentially divides the Imperium in half. Its emergence was a literal galaxy-shattering event, which threw the Imperium into chaos and ushered in new wars across nearly every world in the Imperium. So powerful and far was this storm that the very laws of physics fray at the edges as the inconsistencies of time fluctuations, once largely localised to larger storms such as the Eye of Terror, spread across the galaxy. Some worlds felt centuries go by in an instant while others were all but frozen in time, and still others have suffered constant temporal shifts. 

None fully understand the origins of the rift – though there are many theories: the breach of the Cadian Gate, the sorcery of a Daemon Primarch, catastrophe in the Webway, mass bloodshed and fire in the Damocles Gulf – all may have caused or contributed to it. The rift is variously known by the cultures of the galaxy as the Crimson Path, the Mouth of Ruin, the Warpscar, the Dathedian, Gork’s Grin and a thousand other names besides. To the Imperium it is the Cicatrix Maledictum, or just the Great Rift. To those on the Terran side, it is a tainted scar across the sky. To those unfortunates on the far side, it is far worse…

While we saw the beginnings of this great tear in the events of the Gathering Storm, in the story of the new Warhammer 40,000, Roboute Guilliman, Lord Commander of the Imperium’s armies, looks out over the ruins of his Father’s empire and sets about its reconquest in a crusade to liberate those worlds embattled by the forces of Chaos and free those beset by xenos predators closing in on the weakened worlds of Mankind.

Nothing really new.

Most interesting point is about some planets suddenly advancing 100 years or something...

I pray for Baal...

In combat, losing extra models make sense as they are dragged down under weight of numbers, cut down as they retreat, etc.

From shooting it makes less sense. Maybe like 30k Iron warriors that were immune to morale checks from shooting? Marines reroll failed battleshock tests at range?

It's supposed to represent the crazy theatre of war with random calamities happening and comrades taking their wounded to the backline.

Yeah - I don't buy it for marines either.

FRESH from the rumor mill though....

- Assault 2d6”, multiple units

- Split fire: any unit can target as many targets as they want
- Normally the unit don’t have to target the nearest unit, but there are lots of abilities that have this restriction
- Invulnerable saves simply ignore armour penetration up to the given value. They are not that common, wave serpents and Canoptek wraiths have one
- Most power fields, etc. are separate saves that are taken in addition to other saves just like FnP of today, they may or may not ignore mortal wounds on a case by case basis
- Dodges, camos, etc are now to hit modifiers
- Characters cannot join units
- Characters can only be targeted if nearest target or within 12”
- Larger models are seldom characters, Gulliman is not for example
- Deepstriking units can be placed anywhere. Every unit with deep strike has a value. Have to beat it to land on target, otherwise opposing player can move unit the rolled distance
- There are no mishaps anymore
- Overwatch shooting against deep striking units within 9” at -1 BS
- Summoning is not a psychic ability anymore, normal deep striking with psyker as homing beacon instead
- There are spells that replenish or add wounds to demon squads
- Most vehicles have a single attack with high S, but no AP, some have considerably more like the battle waggon
- Vehicles and units fighting against vehicles usually can fall back without penalty, they cannot move in the charge phase when they have moved or shot in the same turn. Most walkers don’t have this rule
- Terrain enhances armour in assault phase for the defender, or both in consecutive turns, is negated by grenades
- Assaulting units get +1 attack
- Vertical movement does not count against the allowance but a model cannot go higher than the movement value in a given phase. Lots of exceptions for jumping, flying, etc. of course
Ranges are measured on the ground level from base or model to base or model, whichever is nearer
- Units are deployed within 3” of a transport, cannot move, but can charge in the charge phase
- No more firing from a transport, though some vehicles, especially open topped ones have extra firing points weapons if they transport enough (and sometimes eligible) models. But they use their own BS and the kind of weapon is fixed. For example Raiders have 5 fire point splinter rifles, but only if they transport kabalite warriors
- No challenges
- Hidden power fists viable again, wound allocation by owning player, any model in squad, but wounded ones first
- There are some precision weapons that let the firing player choose the wound allocation (always or on a 6)
- Units have always the same T and Save now. There are some models that have T- Sv - and adapt like drones and grots, most of the other combined units have matchings stats now, Black templar neophytes have a 3+ now, for whatever reason
- Command points allow to reroll saves, hits, wounding or charge distance, reroll any single dice throw, negate all terrain in 12” of one of your models, alter the attack sequence, boost psychic block rolls, allow additional reserves and allow units to get another charge phase after wiping out an enemy
- There are some models like Ghazghkull that have their own abilities that are triggered by command points
- perils of the war: snake eyes on the test, d6 on table, d3 mortal wounds and losing a spell are the worst cases 
- Player can spend command points to choose who goes first instead of rolling, whoever spends more
- Matched games have a fixed number of turns, 5 or 6 rounds depending on mission, 18” is starting range and turn 1 charges are completely legal
- Reserves are not random, except for rounding: second turn half the units are deployed, third turn half of the remaining, fourth turn rest
- Flyers have an individual to hit modifier, mostly -2 or -3, a 6 is always a hit as usual, depends on the flying mode for flyers that have more than one
- Flyers are affected by heavy weapon malus, but most flyer weapons are assault,
flyer weapons have often a shorter range and a different name, but are otherwise identical to their ground counterparts
- Terrain does not influence movement distance per se. Some citadel terrain pieces half the movement or do other things.
- There are no warzone rules in the core rules
- True line of sight is used to establish line of sight to a model, but otherwise models count in or out of cover depending if they are in a piece of terrain or if they are touching it and the firing - line goes through the terrain
- In matched play, models have a fixed base size specified in the General’s Handbook. In the two other game types, they can use any base they want

=][= CONFIRMED AS FAKE =][=

I just want to know what the Blood Angels look like upon initial release... I'm reminded of 4th ed when we got a "stop-gap" White Dwarf codex which lasted until 5th ed; in which case I'd expect us to get a general standard Space Marine treatment with some bonus like +1 to Charge.

I know eventually they will release actual "codex" with the proper force-org etc, and as super optimistic as I am about the core rules, I am still weary of our initial line-up until that point.

Anyone else a little worried for the Flesh Tearers? The story doesn't seem to be boding well for them in this next round of story advancements.

So Flesh Tearers took a hit on Cryptus but most of the chapter should be all moved to Baal. I want to say there was only a company with Gabriel for Cryptus. The rest will likely will stand and fall with their parent chapter from what I would imagine. Given that flesh tearers were already low volume (I wanna say about 600-700 marines total?) things aren't looking good there.

One thing that is against us in the upcoming war is that Ultramarines (closest war similar to this one) had an extensive system defensive force of guardsmen. We likely do not have this so its going to be just marines versus nids/deamons. The one saving grace is that it was already established that we have extensive training on tyranid tactics both before and after Cryptus so experience may save the day ultimately.

Generally I don't like our chances. For BA, 1st and 2nd(?) company are severely depleted (probably 25-50 dudes left in each). 3rd company is on Armageddon. 5th is totally gone. I am pretty sure we are out of Sanguinary guard too. So unless there is respite from a supporting chapter/army, we are pretty screwed.

Would expect the Necron to "assist" us and for some Ork randomness tbh.

But would they though? The last time (cryptus) they just wanted to see tyranids removed from an old world system of theirs. They saw us as a means of taking hits so we can leave the system alone ( kind of why they nuked that gas giant).  I can't foresee this happening unless Baal ends up being another crypt or something.

With that said, I could see some form of grudge against the Tyranids being a catalyst for Necrons but that is going to take a bit of a creative leap.

Edited by Spagunk

Quite interested to see how the Librarian Dreadnought changes...

If Biomancy table is the "same" in 8th ed as it is in 7th....then the Librarian Dreadnought will be a walking god.

Just imagine a T10 Dreadnought, or one with Eternal Warrior and 4+ FNP...or another who can life drain other units to heal itself....quite the options^^.

Edited by Frater Antodeniel

Indeed. Should prove to be durable to Perils of the Warp with its large wound pool...

Meanwhile, I wonder how Techmarines will work...

Edited by Jolemai

I just want to know what the Blood Angels look like upon initial release... I'm reminded of 4th ed when we got a "stop-gap" White Dwarf codex which lasted until 5th ed; in which case I'd expect us to get a general standard Space Marine treatment with some bonus like +1 to Charge.

I know eventually they will release actual "codex" with the proper force-org etc, and as super optimistic as I am about the core rules, I am still weary of our initial line-up until that point.

Anyone else a little worried for the Flesh Tearers? The story doesn't seem to be boding well for them in this next round of story advancements.

So Flesh Tearers took a hit on Cryptus but most of the chapter should be all moved to Baal. I want to say there was only a company with Gabriel for Cryptus. The rest will likely will stand and fall with their parent chapter from what I would imagine. Given that flesh tearers were already low volume (I wanna say about 600-700 marines total?) things aren't looking good there.

One thing that is against us in the upcoming war is that Ultramarines (closest war similar to this one) had an extensive system defensive force of guardsmen. We likely do not have this so its going to be just marines versus nids/deamons. The one saving grace is that it was already established that we have extensive training on tyranid tactics both before and after Cryptus so experience may save the day ultimately.

Generally I don't like our chances. For BA, 1st and 2nd(?) company are severely depleted (probably 25-50 dudes left in each). 3rd company is on Armageddon. 5th is totally gone. I am pretty sure we are out of Sanguinary guard too. So unless there is respite from a supporting chapter/army, we are pretty screwed.

I am worried about how BA will fare in 8th ed. Sure BA (and SW - they seem to be in a similar position) will have rules at launch, but how long will GW continue supporting them ? They seem to be squatting BA in the fluff, whilst pushing Guilliman's New Marines in both models and fluff.

I am worried about how BA will fare in 8th ed. Sure BA (and SW - they seem to be in a similar position) will have rules at launch, but how long will GW continue supporting them ? They seem to be squatting BA in the fluff, whilst pushing Guilliman's New Marines in both models and fluff.

I am worried about that too. I mean at least when they remove other product lines, their model support were ancient. Ours is pretty much up to date.