8th Edition & BA

Charlo

Is that a general question, or have they said something about a large model release?

"We’ll be back tomorrow with more news on the new edition, when we look at how the biggest models in the game will work."

the whole articlehttps://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/06/new-warhammer-40000-war-zone-cadia-may6gw-homepage-post-4/

EDIT:

OMG plural; i have not read it patiently enough ... my bad :/

Edited by BloodTzar

What are you planning to do to all those T8 W10+ monsters? It takes around 10 lascannon shots to kill that morkanaut. Tyranids are going to be really hard to kill. Think about 3 Carnifexes in gaunt bubblewrap. Each Carnifex pobably has T8 and W10+. How you are supposed to deal with that? 

What are you planning to do to all those T8 W10+ monsters? It takes around 10 lascannon shots to kill that morkanaut. Tyranids are going to be really hard to kill. Think about 3 Carnifexes in gaunt bubblewrap. Each Carnifex pobably has T8 and W10+. How you are supposed to deal with that?

With bolter and holy rage

With bolter and holy rage

Hope we got enough of them.

Vehicles like the Morkanaut definitely with Melta. Pretty sure they will have a special rule that helps them against those.

Actual monsters? Well...if they aren't shooty, trying to cover your important things with cannonfodder while dealing with the rest of the army. 10 Lascannon shots for a semi-superheavy doesn't sound too terrible imo.

Anyway I have the feeling that 8th will be a lot less about tableing the opponent than playing the mission and winning by objectives. Infantery becomes a lot more durable, vehicles become a lot more durable, MCs become a lot more durable (apparently), you can walk away from melee so you can't get tarpitted anymore or stop the enemy from getting to where he wants.

Melta the carnifex. Charge the remains. Use the 3" pile in to drag the bubble wrap into combat also. Powerfist and infernus pistols for the fex, chainswords for the chaff.

Melta the carnifex. Charge the remains. Use the 3" pile in to drag the bubble wrap into combat also. Powerfist and infernus pistols for the fex, chainswords for the chaff.

It all comes down to meltas profile and damage against keyword "monster". Allso points cost of fex against buffed up assault squad.

If a Carnifex keeps its ridiculous low armor save of 3+ he will be easy enough to deal with anyway. Weight of fire can bring down 3+ save models without problem. The only thing that could be a problem is to bring enough high S dakka to actually wound him reliably. As Tau it's not really a problem for me with the S7 spam but I can see how others might struggle there. Autocannons and Assault Cannons should do the trick tho.

Speaking of Armour Save and Carniflex. I think that tyranids monsters will still be 3+, but also will got FNP and IWND special rules, which make sense.

As for the exemple of the Carniflex, and how to deal with. I think that we must remember that now, lots of "useless" weapons will become more powerfull due to 8th edition.

For exemple :

The Baal Flamestorm canon. In 7th, when firing it on a Carniflex, you only got 1 shot, due to template. Now, it is likely we got D6 and maybe 2D6 shots...the same goes for the regular Flamers/Heavy Flamers.

Before, with the Melta/Multi-melta/Inferno pistol, when firing at a Carniflex, you only got 1 shot (1 wound). Now, it is likely that Melta will be D3 to D6 wounds....instead of just one. (Also, now Devastator can move and shot with Multi-Melta...the same with Lascannons, and other heavy weapons.)

While not being as powerfull as the others, i'm likely to guess that Heavy Bolter will have their place against "small monsters". In the same idea, i think that the Poor regular Predator Autocanon is likely to have a boost.

And what about the.....FRAG-CANON.....i think that this one will now benefit of the Deathwatch profile and that with the 8th edition, it will be pretty brutal.

And this is just the Ranged Weapons....imagine the Close Combat Weapons...

-------------------------------------------------------------

In all, i think that this 8th Editions is balanced. Monstuous Creature sure got stronger, which is normal, but their aren't that strong either.

It fit the Fluff that a Carniflex is able to "eat" a Lascanon shot, survive it, even healing the wound minutes laters. But it is also normal that a Flamestorm Canon is able to hurt/burn a Carniflex....etc....etc.

Nah I doubt they'll get FnP or IWND across the line except for maybe with a biomorph. 3+ with high T and like ~12 wounds should be plenty for the mid-big sized monsters. Maybe warriors will get T5 or more wounds as well. No instant death from double Strength wounds is already really nice for them. As is the fact that they won't get their armor denied by most weapons anymore. The Venomthrope will probably give a negative to-hit modifier in 8th which would make them even more survivable.

I hope you guys are looking forward to swarms of Gaunts that actually have a save against Bolter in 8th. :D

Nah I doubt they'll get FnP or IWND across the line except for maybe with a biomorph. 3+ with high T and like ~12 wounds should be plenty for the mid-big sized monsters. Maybe warriors will get T5 or more wounds as well. No instant death from double Strength wounds is already really nice for them. As is the fact that they won't get their armor denied by most weapons anymore. The Venomthrope will probably give a negative to-hit modifier in 8th which would make them even more survivable.

I hope you guys are looking forward to swarms of Gaunts that actually have a save against Bolter in 8th. :biggrin.:

*Swarms of faster Gaunts without any need of max coherency :rolleyes:  More models hitting in cc and less traffic jams on the way.

I think regeneration, fleet, furious charge, crushing claws etc are upgrades like they are now. Scary thing is if some model gets castable FnP (old catalyst power) without any need to roll for it.

But its a good thing that nids get buffed. More gaunts and hopefully more middle sized creatures like warriors, shrikes etc. Now its only hive tyrants and spore mines.

I wonder what new rules BA will get after losing red thirst I bonus and making everybody accurate deep strikers.

Gaunts were already one of the good units in the 'Nid codex (depending on the version tho). More mid-sized MCs would be nice tho. So many really cool models with VERY lackluster rules.

Interestingly enough the end of the article mentions tomorrow (today) is about combining small arms firepower to bring down the "mightiest foes".

So I'm guessing in enough numbers the holy bolter can get increasing effectiveness against tougher units. Which is awesome as three tactical squads combining firepower to bring down a larger enemy is thematic as hell.

Yup, it looks as though there's going to plenty of stuff to strip wounds from MCs. Tri-Las Preds, Devs, AssCan / LasPlas Razors, assault squads with Fists/Melta/Infernus Pistols, Terminators (!), Dreads (!) both shooty and punchy etc etc

Heck, Frontline Gaming mentioned Heavy Bolters being worth taking so AC/HB Baals

Literally cannot wait for this new edition and to start dusting off models that have been gathering dust for years.