8th Edition & BA

Charlo

Can only see me playing it one way tbh but for newbies it's great.

I don't get it , what's the point of giving a five devastators without upgreades the same point value as five devastators with grav cannons & grav amps?

It's for a gamemode where you are not supposed to min-max your list but rather pay more attention towards what kind of units you have in your list. So instead of looking "what can that unit do for me" you ask yourself "do I want Devastators in this kind of list" without even thinking about any weapon options whatsoever. ;)

Knowing GW for some time...I get some pop-corn ready and get comfortable for the 8th edition drama...:whistling:

My best bet is...BA is gone...integrated into boring smurfmarines, while some elements being classed at traitor...looking at you FTs!

Edited by BloodTzar

Can only see me playing it one way tbh but for newbies it's great.

I don't get it , what's the point of giving a five devastators without upgreades the same point value as five devastators with grav cannons & grav amps?

They're not idiots! We don't even know how grav will work in the next edition. Weapons should be more balanced between more weaker shots and fewer stronger shots, meaning heavy weapons become more similar in points.

As they do, the overall difference in points between 4x HVB Devs and 4x Las Devs is only a few to no points.

Recuse its for more casual play, so you just bring a squad of "Devastators" for X Power points.

As opposed to bringing a squad of 5 Devs for X points that you then buy weapons and more squad members for X points each.

I'm really hoping they take the time to make Terminators scary again. A full rewrite of all books will mean they're not worried about older books having different stats for the same types of units anymore. And with armor modifications on weapons, maybe a block of terminators will be hard to kill again.

Knowing GW for some time...I get some pop-corn ready and get comfortable for the 8th edition drama...:whistling:

My best bet is...BA is gone...integrated into boring smurfmarines, while some elements being classed at traitor...looking at you FTs!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The codex cousins are anything but boring. Each sub faction within the whole felt unique and different in their current codex. Just like they will make each astartes feel different in future installments.

Lots and lots to look forward too! Especially at how they hinted at still being able to use previous formations only in a different spectrum. I say give it time and we'll see what all happens!

I don't see BA being rolled into vanilla SM. They've got their own entry under the Imperium forces on the new website.

Don't you be calling the FTs traitors! Y'all don't say that! Seth has been working hard to bring respect back to the chapter!

they already said all chapters of marines will be in one book, id bet that means there will be generic units for all marines, and special units where applicable (seeing as they also said no model will go without rules).

Assuming they dont suddenly stop selling our character models in the next week or two, we are set.

I think they were talking about the Vanilla chapters with that statement if I'm honest.

I think they mentioned 5x Codices in total: 1x all SM, 1x other Imperial, 1x all Chaos forces, 1x all xenos, 1x genestealer cultist adeptas sororitas squats in plastic thunderhawks.

...so we will probably be in the big book o' power armor with things that differentiate at us just enough to stand out.....but they mentioned that supplements/sub-faction books will come out later on that further flesh things out (so faction-specific formations/Command Points etc...).

Oh and another thing... There are TWO POINTS SYSTEMS:

• Power Level: Done on a unit per unit basis. Very broad and meant for narrative play or for more begginer/ fluffy games. A Tactical Squad is X points and this includes all of it's upgrades and options.
  • Granular: Points system we know today for matched play. You pay for models, weapons and wargear separately.

Thanks for compiling all that information!

Recuse its for more casual play, so you just bring a squad of "Devastators" for X Power points.

As opposed to bringing a squad of 5 Devs for X points that you then buy weapons and more squad members for X points each.

I get what you are supposed to do but not why. It makes list building marginally simpler, but skews the balancing method. I see no benefit in that.

So you don't have to spend a bunch of time making sure your list is perfectly budgeted? You can go, "This unit, this unit, and this unit" without going, "This unit with this upgrade, and this unit with that upgrade and that upgrade and that upgrade."

It's simpler, much quicker, and more casual.

I get what you are supposed to do but not why. It makes list building marginally simpler, but skews the balancing method. I see no benefit in that.

Dude, its for casual play. For either mostly-balancing a narrative scenario where yeah, the forces wouldn't have been entirely even but built in certain ways or for beginners to just use the models they have but still in a constructed manner. Or hey just for some friends to have some Beer-hammer in a laid back setting.

If you're only going to ever play matched mode with stringent points enforcement in the traditional manner, then yeah, there is no benefit to you. But for beginners and less serious people it's another great option to play the game.

Like, way faster. As in, "work it out in your head as you put things on the board" faster.

If that is the goal, why use points at all?

Because there is still the points system you know any love.

It's the middle ground between open (Bring anything and hope it's unbalanced) and matched (specific points for everything).

Player A: I showed up to games night with my super finely tuned exactly 1850pt matched list that took me 2 weeks and hours on forums to fine tune.

Player B: I'm just starting out, I can't make a 1850 list, but I have 5-6 units and can do about 1000.

Player A: Ok, since it will take ages for me to rewrite my list, lets go with 6 power point lists, and have a knock around.

Player A will still probably win, as their units will be more optimised, but saves time.

I've met plenty of people that show up to games nights without army lists, and have to spend the first half hour of a game writing one down.

My best bet is...BA is gone...integrated into boring smurfmarines

To be honest, how much different are we from Codex Marines? If they're going down the Blood Angels keyword route, you could add upgrades into the unit based on those.

We've got our HQ characters, DC, Sanguinary Guard, Libby and Furioso Dreads, and Baal Predators.

Ok, HQ characters will need an entry each, but's across the board for everyone.

DC - upgrade an Assault Squad with Fearless, FNP, Relentless and Rage for 30pts - May take a Lemartes upgraded Chaplain for 130pts.

Sanguinary Guard - upgrade a Vanguard squad for 70pts

Libby Dread is bit more awkward, but it's an HQ slot so it would just get its entry. Or, make it an upgrade for the Librarian, in the same way they can take Termi armour.

Furioso Dread is just an upgrade for regular Dreads, and the DC Furioso is another option.

Same with Baal Pred, just a weapons upgrade.

Give vehicles with the Blood Angels keyword Fast and you've covered Overcharged engines.

I've probably missed some bits, but our old 3ed codex was primarily Codex:SM with some tweaks, so it's not that much of a stretch to go back to it. We had close-combat Scouts and Baal Pred as extras, but otherwise we used Codex:SM units for Troops, FA and HS slots.

Elites, we had VAS and Furiosos

I'm looking forward to 8th

:censored: now I have Al Bundy's voice in my head singing Tychodread.

I had to go and google that, but yes, that's Tycho Dread's theme song:

Who's the golden stranger there.

The one with the gun and the icy stare.

The one with the scalp of a dead ork's hair!

Tycho Dread, Tycho Dread, Tycho Dread.

Who's that riding across the plain?

Who's lost count of the greenskins he's slain?

Who's the man who's plumb insane?

Tycho Dread, Tycho Dread, Tycho Dread.

Edited by Xenith

Random thought:

Forge World units and Imperial Armour going away might mean we finally get a decent clarification on the "Relic of the armoury" rule that isn't in an email/ common sense adaptation.

Or maybe they'll write it off all together!