8th Edition & BA

Charlo

Shame the chat couldn't bait Andy into some talk about flesh tearers

Glad I've got plenty of marines and a furioso in boxes ready to be built. Possibly getting vouchers in return for my TL book is icing on the cake. Bring on 8th!

Edit do you guys think the marine book/books will be as much as a codex? And will it be available like the core rules for free?

Edited by sebs_evo7

Yeah if we get something similar to the Chapter Ancients formation as well then I will finally be able to build my dream army. :biggrin.:

Dreadnoughts for days!  I really really want to buy one of the leviathan Dreads from FG but have yet to pull the trigger.  Maybe depending on what cc looks like in this edition ill pick one up. 

Shame the chat couldn't bait Andy into some talk about flesh tearers

I asked a question and got a response on them :wink:

Andy have a lot of work ahead^^. Between the portrayal of several Characters, already named, and the very Chapter organisation/traditions.

=> Chief Librarian Luciferus. I think that guy will be interresting.

=> High Sanguinary Priest...mentioned but not named. A curious fact, is that Andy always mention the character of Nisroc using the Apothecary word, and not Sanguinary Priest.

=> Captain Araton....Captain of the ? company. (Implied to be the captain of the Strike Cruiser Jagged Blade)

=> What happened to the remaining Scouts demi-company of captain Temel

=> Why Gabriel Seth, chapter master of the Flesh Tearers appears to never team up with any other High Commandant of the chapter (High Sanguinary Priest/Chief Librarian/Reclusiarch), but instead is always depicted fighting alongside is command squad that is build around his Company Champion (Harahel), Apothecary (Nisroc), Chaplain (Appolus), and Librarian (Balthiel). Like he was shunning or being shunned by the others...i can't wait but to see how the whole chapter work as one....

And a tons of others questions^^. But it doesn't really fit the discussion at hand^^.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, to go back to the subject, i personally, think that the incoming changes that comes with the 8th editions will clearly benefits to the game, and even more to our faction.

Most notably, it will make the vehicles that should be common (Predator Baal/Rhino/Razorback/Land Speeder), more interresting. And for the Dreadnoughts, they will finally take their rightfull place, being as strong as they are supposed to be.

Also, the loose of template will certainly benefits to our whole range of flamers...

Finally, it look like that Assault army will finally be on the level against ranged army. And since the Movement Stats is coming, it wouldn't surprise me, that army such as ours, will benefits from good movement range to close up to melee kickly as it already was inducted with the +2d6 movement in the DC Detachement of the now outdated Angel's Blade.

Actually, i have good feelings about this 8th editions of Warhammer 40k : the Rules.

they already said all chapters of marines will be in one book, id bet that means there will be generic units for all marines, and special units where applicable (seeing as they also said no model will go without rules).

Assuming they dont suddenly stop selling our character models in the next week or two, we are set.

That is only at first though I think.  They said that codices will come back but at a later date, whereas at launch every faction will have rules compiled into 5 books.

They also said that nothing was going away in terms of current models.

Edited by Orblivion

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/25/warhammer-40000-unit-profiles/

Terminators have 2W. Dreads have 8 and T7 with a 3+ save!

Movement for Marines is 6 which is awesome.

Flat to hit rolls for both shooting and combat, but this means more options for modification on both.

I'm in love.

ALSO: No Initiative stat, so I'm thinking Red Thirst will be something new entirely ;)

Edited by Charlo

Just noticed terminator has a 2+ save so no save on a 2d6 then

Edit : unless they always get a 2d6 save and you need to use weapons that have a rending value to kill them

Edited by sebs_evo7

Just noticed terminator has a 2+ save so no save on a 2d6 then

Edit : unless they always get a 2d6 save and you need to use weapons that have a rending value to kill them

Nop, no 2d6 saves. But Terminators are supposedly getting additional rules that make them more survivable.

Anyway..i am EXCITED! Can't wait for 8th edition to get released!

Movement for Marines is 6 which is awesome.

That depends on how it compares to other units. At least we did not lose any movement.

They said in the article: "for example, Eldar will run faster than Guardsmen, and Hormagaunts run faster than both." ;)

Tac marines are Ld 7 now... A dreadnought is only ld 8 which seems low also (especially considering they were immune before).  I wonder if Ld will be low across the board.  It would be strange for SM to go from being nearly immune to Ld issues to having average Ld...

Also, while I think the current WS chart was annoying and had problems, not sure how I feel about flat to hit rolls in CC.  Also, that Terminator squad shown only has a M of 5", so hopefully they get something to help them get into combat, or get a lot shootier.  Having a bonus wound is nice but I find that Terminators are so easily avoided it often isn't worth it to shoot them.  

Overall, the more we see the more I think I like it, but I'm eager to take it out for a spin!

New leadership mechanics as outlined as adepticon:

Its no longer all or nothing, and it affects everyone. We’re thinking of replacing break tests with a simple mechanic. Roll a D6, add that to the number of models your unit has lost this turn, subtract your Leadership and take that many additional casualties

Tac marines are Ld 7 now... A dreadnought is only ld 8 which seems low also (especially considering they were immune before).  I wonder if Ld will be low across the board.  It would be strange for SM to go from being nearly immune to Ld issues to having average Ld...

Also, while I think the current WS chart was annoying and had problems, not sure how I feel about flat to hit rolls in CC.  Also, that Terminator squad shown only has a M of 5", so hopefully they get something to help them get into combat, or get a lot shootier.  Having a bonus wound is nice but I find that Terminators are so easily avoided it often isn't worth it to shoot them.  

Overall, the more we see the more I think I like it, but I'm eager to take it out for a spin!

Keep in mind that Landraider will be much more usuable in 8th so getting melee Terminators across the table should be much more doable. ;)

I just hope we get some sort of AoE FNP back...so our tanks and dreads can roll FNP against wounds...

On the other hand I dislike the absence of Initiative the most, it was niche stat that described how agile the characters were, I guess for BA biggest loss...

From rumours so far it seems that WH40k will turn into Chess-machine where people are calculating who can charge what 1st...

~BT

Edited by Morticon

New leadership mechanics as outlined as adepticon:

Its no longer all or nothing, and it affects everyone. We’re thinking of replacing break tests with a simple mechanic. Roll a D6, add that to the number of models your unit has lost this turn, subtract your Leadership and take that many additional casualties

That's how it is in AoS but 7 is still not very good for that.  

From rumours so far it seems that WH40k will turn into Chess-(tard)-machine where people are calculating who can charge what 1st...

~BT

What, like fantasy used to be, and was considered an integral, tactical part of the game?

Yet they kept Initiative...so after ASF you used I values...but reason I have gone for 40k was If I wanted chess I would play chess not WHFB :)

Since Initiative is gone, and that it have been mentioned that Chapters Tactics/Specificities will continue to exist, i think that, being an Assault Army, our new Red Thirst bonus will certainly work on the Movement.

I would be "logical", that due to the effects of the Red Thirst, the Blood Angels are able to move faster to the melee. So maybe we will end up with a Movement value that will be 6+D6, and quite the same benefits on charge distance.

In the end, the new possibilities look to be great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Dreadnought :

New40kProfilesDreadnought.jpg

Our Furioso will certainly benefit from a good buff, that in the end will see it as being even better than what is already show in this statline. But, he already became far more resilient^^.

And finally for the Terminators

New40kProfilesTerminatorSqd.jpg

I think that, now, not only due to the Statline modification, but also, because of the fact that all units have Thoughness, Lightning Claws Terminators will become a thing to build and play with. (Plus i expect Lightning Claws have a -1/-2 save modificator, coupled with the possibilities that our Assault Terminators may still have Furious Charge bonus, and certainly a new Red Thirst movement improvment....you end up with some beasts at hand^^.

Just do your math by looking imagining Blood Angels Terminators with LC charging a T7 3+ saves (more likely 5+....due to LC ^^) Dreadnought...In the previous editions it would have been impossible (exept in the fluff^^), but now it look like possible.

A really good thing.

This new editions gives me ambitions, and the will to go back to "work" ^^. I'm Happy with the changes as they look to be.

Red Thirst might not be a movement bonus at all.  It could just be +1S on the charge or +2A on the charge, or +1 to hit when you charge, et cetera.  I think banking on it being movement related might be disappointing, and nothing about the Red Thirst from a fluff point of view actually means it should be a movement bonus.  I think honestly seeing depictions of Thirsty marines in the books, a bonus attack on the charge would make the most sense.  But since it's a vague concept it could really be anything.