hopes, dreams, and fears for sisters in 8th

micahwc

Still a nerf imo, if only because 2E twin-linked Heavy Bolters had a -2 save modifier, could get between 0-12 shots (four sustained fire dice), and did d4 wounds >.> But don't mind me, I'm just grumpy at this point. And please don't  get me wrong, there ARE things I like about about 8th. Going back to the 2E twin linked rules is one of them.

Well, the new heavy bolter profile isn't really what it was hyped up to be.  I still think it has a place since its out longest ranged weapon outside of the exorcist, and -1 to enemy saves will be useful.  

Combi weapons will be awesome though, especially combi flamers in range since they won't be affected by the -1 BS.  I'm curious to see how much a combi weapon costs now that they can be fired every turn.  Looks like I'm going to have to pick up some more bolter superiors for conversions!

I'm liking the new melta rule though, 2D6 take the highest for damage on everything is going to melt through multi wound infantry as well as tanks now!

Overall, I don't think anything is any worse off, just different.  I will definitely have to play a few games before I make a final judgement.  Bring on 8th, I have heretics to burn!

For anyone who wants to know - 

Average on D6                    -  3.50

Average on D6 with reroll   -  4.25   (assuming you only reroll a result of a 1-3)

Of course, if you really need a "5", say, you are 11% more likely to pull that off with a reroll. 

Also, if you want to hit characters, reroll 1-2 and you have an 89% chance to do 3+ wounds.

I'm liking the new melta rule though, 2D6 take the highest for damage on everything is going to melt through multi wound infantry as well as tanks now!

It'll melt through multi-wound T5+ infantry, albeit on a 3+ to wound, and multi-wound MCs.

But against tanks like the russ it's going to take a lot more than it used to - after rolling to hit half of your shots will fail to penetrate straight off, and those that don't bounce will still need 3-4 solid hits before cover saves. T9+ units like the (presumed) Land Raider are going to need some real volume.

The condemnor might actually be useful this time around since you get more than one shot!  If the new perils of the warp causes enough mortal wounds reliably, it might be a decent way to kill witches.  Burn the unit bubble wrapping them and then fill them full of crossbow bolts!

It'll melt through multi-wound T5+ infantry, albeit on a 3+ to wound, and multi-wound MCs.

But against tanks like the russ it's going to take a lot more than it used to - after rolling to hit half of your shots will fail to penetrate straight off, and those that don't bounce will still need 3-4 solid hits before cover saves. T9+ units like the (presumed) Land Raider are going to need some real volume.

Well, assuming that dominions can still scout, 4 melta guns, a combi melta, and a now two shot multi melta is a pretty staple unit for us currently, and it should still be able to slag tanks pretty well. When it comes to melta, real volume is kind of what we do biggrin.png

Some hope from a sisters point of view - so far the rules seem to benefit he with the most guns/models.

Volume wins. If sisters are 'correctly' priced at around 2/3rds of a marine they will be able to bring superior small arms power at the cost of inferior assault.

Melta Dominions scouting in a twin-linked Multimelta Immolator that moved against (say) a Leman Russ Squad would score an average of about 4.3333 hits, 2.1667 wounding hits, and 10.1111 wounds (assuming everything is in close range), almost killing a single Leman Russ

Against T7 and lower, though, it will likely be melting a whole lot of things, even at long range.

Battle Sisters have never been correctly priced, why would 8th change that?

It's like a long running tradition. Eldar get bonkers rules, all important battles involve space marines and Sisters of Battle cost too many points.

GW have always seemed to value the save more than the overall combination of T and Sv. Things like the tau stealth suits and the sisters of battle have always got it in the neck cost wise because of their 3+ save.

I'm somewhat hoping we'll see the Exorcist doing d6 wounds per shot after today's news. With the Predator Annihilator getting bumped up to four Lascannon shots per turn, it only makes sense for the Exorcist to keep its spot as a vehicle with a higher damage ceiling than the Annihilator but a far more inconsistent damage output.

That or amp up the randomness and make it fire 2d6 missiles that do d3 wounds each.

I certainly now look forward to my heavy bolter retributor squads raining bullets on enemies. condemnor's might now just cause perils to nearby psychers if you wound squads too. Would be nice to keep the theme of it.

I feel like I need to order a lot more penitent engines and if they readjust sisters to a proper point cost, I'll need more units and immolators/rhinos as well...Would be kinda cool to get chimeras or something though.

D6 shots that do d6 damage! The exorcist must be the most random of all tongue.png

How can anyone say 8th isn't immersive with all of the praying we Sisters players are going to have to do? biggrin.png
...while that would be awesome, I can't imagine anyone trying to balance that...

"Hey guys, there's a pretty good chance that this thing does 0 wounds a turn vs. a Leman Russ or Knight, but also, there's a tiny chance that it deals 36 wounds to a Knight/stomp/Titan in one turn and just eradicates it... So, uh, 125 pts sound good?"

That being said, it would be a lot of fun.

...while that would be awesome, I can't imagine anyone trying to balance that...

"Hey guys, there's a pretty good chance that this thing does 0 wounds a turn vs. a Leman Russ or Knight, but also, there's a tiny chance that it deals 36 wounds to a Knight/stomp/Titan in one turn and just eradicates it... So, uh, 125 pts sound good?"

Uh ... isn't that exactly how it works in 7th?

(I hope I'm not missing the joke here but I get a distinct feeling I am)

Uh ... isn't that exactly how it works in 7th?

(I hope I'm not missing the joke here but I get a distinct feeling I am)

In 7th it's 1d6 shots that deal 1 damage each, with an ap1. The exorcist struggles against high av right now.

In 8th Str 8 seems like it will have an easier time dealing with heavier targets, and with 1d6 damage the variable amount of damage leaps from 1-6 (with a chance for insta death vs non superheavy vehicles) to 1-36, even though it's far from evenly distributed.

In 7th it's 1d6 shots that deal 1 damage each, with an ap1. The exorcist struggles against high av right now.

In 8th Str 8 seems like it will have an easier time dealing with heavier targets, and with 1d6 damage the variable amount of damage leaps from 1-6 (with a chance for insta death vs non superheavy vehicles) to 1-36, even though it's far from evenly distributed.

(The following assumes a best case scenario where the Exorcist's missiles are Strength 8 with a -3 save modifier)

Even when firing five shots (so 83.34% of the time) the Exorcist is still statistically worse against a Toughness 8 target like the Morkanaut or Leman Russ than the new Predator Annihaltor (1.389 wounds vs 1.481 wounds after the 6+ save). 8th has brought in an awful lot of variance with these multiple-wound attacks, so to call the Exorcist problematic for that seems a bit unfair when even consistent tank hunters like the Annihilator can put 24 wounds on a target in a single salvo with a bit of luck. A huge part of killing tanks in 8th is going to be rolling high for damage on anti-tank weapons.

The Exorcist would certainly have the occasional shooting phase where it did something highly improbable, but as a Strength 8 AP1 weapon in 7th one of its greatest strengths is that potential to get lucky and roll well above the odds to one-shot vehicles. That randomness and potential for extreme results is very much a part of its character.

YAY! Weapons part 2 is out

!https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/10/new-warhammer-40000-weapons-part-2-may10gw-homepage-post-4/

I presumed from all the talk, heavy bolter nerf was fact, my apologies. I was also joking, since i just bought 4 full price from GW smile.png Even if Sisters end up being the worse army in 8th, I will still play them and with a smile on my face! My faith is strong! Really excited for 8th! X

New40kWeapons2TwinHB.jpg

That's a Twin Linked HB so a normal one will just be Heavy 3. doesn't seem like that huge a nerf to me.

The best bit is we now get to see a melta profile!

New40kWeapons2CombiMelta.jpg

At first glance it looks like it'll still mess stuff up which is nice.

but the biggest thing is combi weapons not being one shot anymore! Depending on the price tag we might want to get combi weapons on every squad. BSS with 3 flamers, doms with 5 melta etc etc.

Archived