Speculative: Chapters with Traitor Geneseed: A Compilation

• 4 months later...

Here is it theorised that Silver Skulls are World Bearers successors, and that Relictors, Soul Drinkers and Blood Gorgons are of Iron Warrior stock.

Also if you do a quick net-search for "storm wardens world eaters" do you find lots of people theorising, or claiming, that the Storm Wardens are World Eaters successors.

EDIT: personally I don't belive any of it but thought it fitting/fun to share it here.

Edited by Gamiel

Just now, WARMASTER_ said:

@Gamiel Silver Skulls are confirmed as Ultra’s Sarah Cawkell confirmed in an interview that the lore department told her they were as I believe she tried to make them White Scars? My memory could be slightly wrong on the chosen Chapter 

Yep. I'm linking to her twitter about that earlier in the thread. But since this thread is about speculations did I think it was fun/fitting to mention that alternative take on their gene-seed origin since it's a different one than the IW one mentionedin the OP.

3 hours ago, Gamiel said:

Yep. I'm linking to her twitter about that earlier in the thread. But since this thread is about speculations did I think it was fun/fitting to mention that alternative take on their gene-seed origin since it's a different one than the IW one mentionedin the OP.

Fair Enough 

having read through the theories though I’m reminded on an earlier post I made in this thread 

“I think holistically a lot of the theories come from a slight lack of nuanced thinking when it comes to chapters and them having deviations [great or small] from their primogeniture chapters 

While it’s easy to say “The Iron Snakes are of Alpha Legion decent” simply because they have vague organisational and heraldic similarities, it also takes a lot away from the depth of the setting. It’s a big galaxy and all chapters have a distinct identity so some cross over between iconography and divergence from combat and organisational doctrines is not only to be expected but it’s a certainty within the lore”

Most of the linked theories is based upon either a small aspect of the original legions lore or very tenuous link to certain characteristics

I.E Relectors being IW because they use chaos weapons without openly becoming corrupted makes almost no sense… Night Lords  [Generally] have a shared distant for the pantheon it doesn’t mean both Legions are completely corrupted to their very core it also doesn’t mean a chapter using Chaos Weapons is likely IW it’s a vague link between the two at best 

I’m just not seeing the connections at all with these apart from the most openly known “TS = Blood Ravens”

There’s even another comment from him underneath saying that the Celestial Lions are probably Salamanders because they have dark skin? Erm what?? How about with the million or so worlds of the Imperium you’ll get every single possible combination of human complexion a chapter having dusky complexion doesn’t equal Salamanders [Not to mention that the CL are confirmed IF]

The Salamanders have coal black skin + red eye’s because of high radiation reacting with their gene seed and the Celestial lions lore is clearly based on a African cultures + their home world of Elysium is noted as a hot world full of Savannahs so they have darker skin

Seems like a thread of people who don’t really know too much about Space Marines to me at least 

Edited by WARMASTER_

Similar to the alternative takes I linked to above, do this reddit post debate, as you can see, that Blood Ravens are Word Bearers successors:

Can't say I belive it more than them being TS successors (which I don't right now) but since the thread is about compiling the different speculations do I share it.

Edited by Gamiel
Spelling

• 6 months later...

Some other theories I don't think have been mentioned, taken from this post:

"* Mortifactors: Death Guard. Like the Silver Skulls, they claim succession from the Ultramarines, but are likely Death Guard Loyalists given asylum by Guilliman. Obsessed with death and use scythes as one of their main weapons."

"* Raptors: Night Lords. Unlike other chapters, the theory of this chapter's descent from a Traitor Legion is more iffy. They claim descent from the Raven Guard, and they do look the part, being all pale and :cuss:, but they suspiciously have working Betcher's Glands (the ones that allow Space Marines to spit acid), which are non-functional in real sons of Corax, but functional in descendants of Konrad Curze. Overall, though, their descent from the Night Lords is more suspicion than anything, and they're Second Founding, which would mean the Raven Guard have direct records of their founding that would make slipping in Traitor Legion Loyalists as successors pretty unlikely. They would TOTALLY be if they claimed to be Ultramarines."

"* Mantis Warriors: Alpha Legion. They claim to be White Scars successors, but their tactics are WILDLY different, preferring stealth, assassination and covert ops to mounted cavalry assault."

"* Storm Wardens: World Eaters. This one's complicated. The Storm Wardens come from the Fantasy Flight Games' canon, specifically the Deathwatch RPG, which makes their canonicity iffy these days since FFG lost the license for making 40K tabletop RPG games. The Storm Wardens are of unknown geneseed, but suspected of being either Iron Hands or Ultramarines descendants. However, their homeworld is based in the Calixis Sector, which is known to have been a major battleground between the Imperium and the Traitor Legions, and their tactics and color scheme are ringers for the War Hounds, the pre-Angron World Eaters."

On 10/8/2023 at 7:43 AM, Gamiel said:

The Storm Wardens come from the Fantasy Flight Games' canon, specifically the Deathwatch RPG, which makes their canonicity iffy these days since FFG lost the license for making 40K tabletop RPG games

All the lore in Dark Heresy and Deathwatch was either initially developed by GW, developed with GW, or received their seal of approval. It's as canon as anything else is.