Primaris are fixed pose models - does that matter to you?

Wargamer

Personally, this is a deal breaker for me. The fact Primaris units were fixed size and had zero equipment options was a major red flag that turned me against the range, but I have discovered the models are essentially clip together miniatures with virtually no variations in pose and no easy way to customise with swapped shoulder pads or similar.

Am I alone in thinking this is a deal breaker?

All Starter boxsets are push-fit, but there will *almost definitely* be multi-part kits in the not-to distant future. It's my understanding that the Primaris are the only ones without full listings in the Index: Imperium books, I'd look to them being the first proper 8th Ed. Codex release.

Also, just because these models are push-fit, it doesn't exclude them from being convertable. I have an older thread where I got more than 20 unique conversions out of the AoBR Captain model.

Cheers,

Jono

The Primaris are almost certainly getting the Stormcast treatment: starter set release with snap-fit models and no options for customisation followed by boxed sets with multipart kits and new rules with further weapon and equipment options.

As these are the first Primaris I'll own, I don't have a problem with them being push-fit mono-pose. Later down the line I'll be more interested in any multipart kits that'll come out, though.

I'm getting two sets of them so there will definitely be some reposing. For me, it's not likely to be much of an issue, but for others without a lot of conversion experience it probably matters. I don't think anyone wants an entire army of the same 5 poses.

Being able to pose the models how I want them to look is both a good thing and a bad thing. Really it boils down to this for everyone, do you like to convert (cutting, sculpting, adding) or do you like the pre-sculpted contents of the kits? To me, all the guys (and girls!) who spent hours trying to convert space marines to look like they're actually aiming their boltguns properly versus just putting them together as the kit intends and ending up with an army of "thinking about shooting that thing" space marines should probably rejoice at these new 'snap-fit' primaris marines while they last. I know I am! That said, I HOPE and PRAY that GW will continue with this idea of function in their primaris models and keep the aiming sculpts, make ones that are checking their arm pads, holding an Auspex properly, kneeling(PLEASE!) and stepping up positions. 

Now, the pessimist in me would say that these awesome sculpts used for snap-fit models are just a fluke and we'll be back to the same old "thinking about shooting that thing" poses which will then lead to the need for conversions. In that case, I do certainly hope very strongly that they will give us the full kit version of the Primaris range. If for whatever reason they don't they're going to have a tough time making everyone happy in the years ahead.

- Remember this fact -

Every time you question the validity of a sculpt or the rules for a miniature, tell yourself that GW has thought about this for at least 2 years to come and intended it to be the way it's shown. They may not be correct or right, and they may be releasing / balancing things as their accountants suggest to sell models, but it's the way it is because they own your wallet...

I have ordered two boxed sets and am swapping one set of Death Guard for another set of Primaris - I will have 3 of each model! So, I am planning to do significant conversions - including replacing the shoulder pads. It's certainly not a deal-breaker for me :)

Fixed poses don't bother me unless they are both on a non-HQ and they are a terrible pose. One example: the Hellblasters. I plan on buying their plasma bits and putting them on the multi-part Intercessor, or putting Intercessor legs on the multi-part Hellblasters.

Those who have mono-pose HQs and old Finecast/metal models like Veterans, or even just people who play other wargames like Infinity will know that mono-pose is often a fact of life.

for now, i don't even like the rules for them, they are buffed only slightly more than a standard marine with none of the flexability of modeling or equipment options. For me that equals a hard "no." If they come out with something different and more actual game options then i may reconsider then. Right now, they are just bigger boring marines.

Actually, why people here say they are monopose? Last week Duncan video clearly shows they do have some posability, not a lot but you can choose the direction of arms and heads, etc:

Looking like clones is much smaller issue with primaris than all previous starter boxes...

having played with them today a bit, arms and heads are on a few quite easier to pose more than what they come with. Just clip off the tiny pin, and it becomes like a normal space marine arm/head. Not in all cases mind you. In a few the shoulders are already stuck to the chest.

Fixed poses are fine.  I have what amounts to almost an entire army of mono-pose High Elves from 4th Edition WHFB.  Love every single one of them.

Fixed poses are an "issue" if they're not sensibly laid out enough for conversion opportunities (cite: Chaos Chosen from Dark Vengeance). If they're cleverly made (cite: Assault On Black Reach Orks and Space Marine Commander) and can be customized easily, then I have zero issues with snap fit - nay, I often prefer them as gluing 10 Space Marines into varying levels of "holding a bolter" can get tiresome.

To be honest right now you can buy a squad of these on Ebay for about £12 so mono-pose isn't too much of an issue for me. This is an important issue for me because it makes the army more accessible to people on tight wargaming budgets.

The packs, bolt guns, heads and shoulder pads can all be swapped out to allow more variation with only the shoulder pads taking a bit of work. Even with a few twists of the head it can add some variation. 

Personally speaking I'm not a fan of fixed posed minis from GW, the finished product can often look much more dynamic but I feel it stifles creativity because it feels like GW are saying we want you to make them this way. The beauty of the regular marines has always been three factors, multipart compatibility, parts support and the ease of painting. Anyone of any skill level can pick up a couple of boxes and put them together in a vast variety of ways, until the Primaris are an established product line these guys are going to lag behind their smaller brethren.

Now for truescalers these guys are great, if you can live with the knee pads and torso designs it is a lot easier than it has ever been to make scaled up marines. I think making them Mk10 armour was a bit of a mistake, I think they should have taken the risk and rescaled marine models as painfully as it might seem. Mk10 is a hindrance in my opinion and while I can see these guys selling well I genuinely wonder how successful they will be given they are a fairly elite army in what is becoming a game of swarms and monsters.

For me right now at this point in time without all the new things that are to come, without their imminent codex and models I think these guys will struggle to find their feet. From what I understand these guys are going to be limited in posing options when they do go multipart, Jes Goodwin was saying that the torso and legs are going to be two part in order to maintain the flow of the abdominal plating. So we not going to be gaining that much in modelling options when compared to the original marine kits.

So for me right now it boils down to do I want to pay I'm guessing £30 for five guys that have a few extra options (multipart set screams Intercessor/Hellblaster squad kit to me) or go the Ebay route and pick them up for £12. If that is the case then yeah I'm more than happy with the mono-pose guys.

I heard about the limited posing on the multipart ones also. As long as I can pose more variations of holding a bolter cool and separate shoulder pads the better. I for one can not model using a knife anymore (arthritis and having to have a shoulder replacement) a problem.

I am sure in the future we will see more variation in the primaris armor. It was explained fluff wise that bc they were fresh out of the oven they were not adorned with much that a typical marine may have through service and armor veneration over the years. These boys needed to get pumped out to fight..

Though since all marines can be upgraded, it still would be weird for any new characters of old chapters, and just chapters to not upgrade..

Does this matter to me?

No, not at all. They're fixed pose models.

Can they battle as efficiently as other models? Yes.

Are they an inexpensive choice to build an army with? Yes.

May there be multi-pose models down the road? Sure, anything is possible.

If there aren't multi-pose models down the road? Not a problem, for the given positive reasons above.

I have seen individuals on this forum turn classic space marines into true-scale space marines.

If I want to add any detail, changing any pads or heads, etc. that will be my choice to tackle those issues.

I am okay with this.

To be honest right now you can buy a squad of these on Ebay for about £12 so mono-pose isn't too much of an issue for me. This is an important issue for me because it makes the army more accessible to people on tight wargaming budgets.

The packs, bolt guns, heads and shoulder pads can all be swapped out to allow more variation with only the shoulder pads taking a bit of work. Even with a few twists of the head it can add some variation. 

Personally speaking I'm not a fan of fixed posed minis from GW, the finished product can often look much more dynamic but I feel it stifles creativity because it feels like GW are saying we want you to make them this way. The beauty of the regular marines has always been three factors, multipart compatibility, parts support and the ease of painting. Anyone of any skill level can pick up a couple of boxes and put them together in a vast variety of ways, until the Primaris are an established product line these guys are going to lag behind their smaller brethren.

Now for truescalers these guys are great, if you can live with the knee pads and torso designs it is a lot easier than it has ever been to make scaled up marines. I think making them Mk10 armour was a bit of a mistake, I think they should have taken the risk and rescaled marine models as painfully as it might seem. Mk10 is a hindrance in my opinion and while I can see these guys selling well I genuinely wonder how successful they will be given they are a fairly elite army in what is becoming a game of swarms and monsters.

For me right now at this point in time without all the new things that are to come, without their imminent codex and models I think these guys will struggle to find their feet. From what I understand these guys are going to be limited in posing options when they do go multipart, Jes Goodwin was saying that the torso and legs are going to be two part in order to maintain the flow of the abdominal plating. So we not going to be gaining that much in modelling options when compared to the original marine kits.

So for me right now it boils down to do I want to pay I'm guessing £30 for five guys that have a few extra options (multipart set screams Intercessor/Hellblaster squad kit to me) or go the Ebay route and pick them up for £12. If that is the case then yeah I'm more than happy with the mono-pose guys.

This is basically what i was thinking in a nutshell, he worded it much better. lol only thing is for any truescale marines I would still not use them because i don't like the mk10 armor except for the helmets. :dry.: