Primaris are fixed pose models - does that matter to you?

Wargamer

If you can get past the abdominal armour, which is mostly covered by the arms anyways you can do a fairly decent representation of a Mk 7. Trick is to shave down the sides of the legs slice the collar so it is level with the neck line. You could just as easily just do the collar and say the legs are a modified Mk 8 to be honest, all the old heads fit nicely and so do the back packs. You can even cut off the hands holding the bolter and replace them with regular marine hands holding a bolt gun because the hands are the same size.

Yes. I've grabbed the basic set and an extra squad each of Inceptors and Hellblasters. They'll fit nicely into my Mk3 and Mk4 "loyalist" Word Bearer army (probably Ultramarine rules with their *cough* deamon prince Roboute Guilliman). I don't expect to play much except for fun now. After a few years playing Malifaux I've concluded that fixed pose models aren't that bad.

I really like the look of the Gravis Captain.

With regular troopers I always think there has to be a balance between ease of construction and freedom of posing. For regular infantry I'm more than happy to sacrifice options in exchange for simpler construction. In this regard the Primaris starter set boxes are a little disappointing. There are far too many pieces per model (especially on interceptors) given how restricted the poses are. Also there are some annoying moldlines.

On the other hand the models look gorgeous so I can't complain too much!

Also the whole thread is silly, there is clearly a Primaris infantry box coming. The idea that GW wouldn't release a multi-part new plastic Space Marine set is unfathomable! 

Is it bad that starter set models are fixed pose? No, it isn't It's been the same for a long time now in all systems. I don't really know why you'd expect anything different.

As far as I remember, only the 3rd Edition starter set actually had the normal multi-part kits in it. Dark Imperium, Dark Vengeance, Assault on Black Reach, Battle for Macragge and 2nd Edition all had single pose (and in some cases, single-piece) models. Same goes for fantasy - Age of Sigmar, Island of Blood, Battle for Skull Pass, 6th, 5th and 4th all had single pose models. I don't remember back further than that.

There's zero chance there won't be follow up multi-part kits for these models. Use Stormcast Eternals as the guideline; all 3 units that appeared in the starter box (Liberators, Judicators, Retributors) had multi-part releases later on with multiple loadout options.

Idk if you know this but every bolter/plasma/grav marine ever has been essentially mono-pose. Sure you could tip the barrel up or down a bit if you wanted the arms to be crooked but if you ever wanted anything more exotic than 'marine standing with a bolter acrossed the chest with knees slightly bent' you had to break out the greenstuff.

Idk if you know this but every bolter/plasma/grav marine ever has been essentially mono-pose. Sure you could tip the barrel up or down a bit if you wanted the arms to be crooked but if you ever wanted anything more exotic than 'marine standing with a bolter acrossed the chest with knees slightly bent' you had to break out the greenstuff.

That's not true. With multi-part kits I have been able to make all sorts of poses even with basic gunner marines. You can swap chests as you like to match any legs you want, especially running legs from melee kits. You can also use melee arms to have a pose that's not two hands on a gun. With mono-pose marines you literally have no options other than head swaps/repositions, and arm reposition. Even the shoulders are molded on, legs and direction of torso are set in stone, etc.

When I spoke with Jes at Fest, he said to me that torsos will be part of legs even for multi part kits, but that each unit will have poses more clearly linked to their role. He highlighted this by comparing the hellblasters (wide stance ready to shoot sort of poses) to the intercessors (advancing, tactical poses).

Multi part will come, and will no doubt have a bits breakdown along the lines of:

arms

bolt rifles/ranged weapon with right hand attached

shoulder pads

torso/legs with accessories pre attached

head

back pack.

probably some weapon options if we're lucky.

Anyway, for me the 'monopose' stuff is fine, in the starter set, there are 2 duplicate intercessors out of 10, 2 duplicate hellblasters out of 5 and 1 duplicate inceptor out of 3.

I personally have:

3 ancients

5 lieutenants

2 captains

5 intercessor squads

3 hellblaster squads

2 inceptor squads

I've built one starter set in stock poses with a few shoulder swaps and a single head swap. Plus added some bling here and there.

I'll build the second boxes intercessors with some models swapped about a bit, and probably have a play with arm poses here and there, the inceptors will have the arms put on in marginally different poses too, hellblasters will be the only unit that will be hard to make look unique - but think about devastators in a regular army, they're mostly identical too because heavy weapon arms go on in a single pose. Second captain will get a massive overhaul, lieutenants will get conversions too, ancients will get head swaps and banner swaps at least.