The 8th Edition Learning Curve with Astra Militarum

Rob40k

I'm back from the tournament! And already writing the battle report! Much learning was done.

@Natbrannigan - I agree to some extent. But I understand why they have done the all or nothing. To stop arguments and speed the game up, either in cover as a unit or not. It feels strange to play, but I see the logic behind the decision. They did it with templates and deep strike scattering.

Ruins need bases or maybe you can say that corner to corner of a triangle ruin means You're in cover or something. So windows aren't so contentious.

The game certainly is faster now, so I do get it. It's just something I never had issues with in 7th edition myself. I will just put everything on a base and say if it's on the base it's in cover. I've made some LOS blocking terrain as well but the terrain I got from the shadow war box set is kind of useless... Ah well, it's never going to be perfect!

Tournament report!!!!

On the eve of battle, I decided to review the list one more time and elected to drop the Chimera, a Company Command Squad and both Command Squads, for more Tempestus Scions, Tempestus Command squads and Primes, as I discussed before, dropping the Hydras for Manticores, somehow doing this freed up 30pts, enough points for 2 Astropaths!

With that being said, here is my list:

Battalion Detachment:

HQ1: Tempestor Prime (40) Command Rod (0) [40]

HQ2: Company Commander (30) Plasma Pistol (5) Power Maul (4) [39]*

HQ3: Yarrick [130] (Warlord: Tenacious Survivor) 

Troop1: 32x Conscripts [96]*

Troop2: Infantry Squad (40) Flamer (7) Heavy Bolter (8) [55]*

Troop3: Infantry Squad (40) Flamer (7) Heavy Bolter (8) [55]*

Troop4: Infantry Squad (40) Flamer (7) Heavy Bolter (8) [55]*

Elite1: Tempestor Command Squad (36) 4 Plasmaguns (28) [64]

Elite2: Commissar (30) Plasma Pistol (5) [35]*

Heavy1: Manticore (125) Heavy Bolter (8) [133]*

Transport1: Taurox Prime (60) Taurox Gatling Cannon (18) 2 Autocannons (30) Storm Bolter (2) [110]

Transport2: Taurox Prime (60) Taurox Gatling Cannon (18) 2 Autocannons (30) Storm Bolter (2) [110]

Battalion Detachment:

HQ4: Tempestor Prime (40) Command Rod (0) [40]

HQ5: Tempestor Prime (40) Command Rod (0) [40]

Troop5: Tempestus Scions (45) 2 Hotshot Lasguns (2) Plasma Pistol (5) 2 Plasmaguns (14) [66]

Troop6: Tempestus Scions (45) 2 Hotshot Lasguns (2) Plasma Pistol (5) 2 Plasmaguns (14) [66]

Troop7: Tempestus Scions (45) 2 Hotshot Lasguns (2) Plasma Pistol (5) 2 Plasmaguns (14) [66]

Troop8: Tempestus Scions (45) 2 Hotshot Lasguns (2) Plasma Pistol (5) 2 Plasmaguns (14) [66]

Elite3: Tempestor Command Squad (36) 4 Plasmaguns (28) [64]

Elite4: Tempestor Command Squad (36) 4 Plasmaguns (28) [64]

Elite5: Sergeant Harker [50]*

Elite6: Astropath (15) Las Pistol (0) Psychic Barrier (0) [15]

Heavy2: Manticore (125) Heavy Bolter (8) [133]*

Spearhead Detachment:

HQ6: Tempestor Prime (40) Command Rod (0) [40]

Elite7: Tempestor Command Squad (36) 4 Plasmaguns (28) [64]

Elite8: Astropath (15) Las Pistol (0) Psychic Barrier (0) [15]

Heavy3: Heavy Weapons Squad (12) 3 Mortars (15) [27]*

Heavy4: Heavy Weapons Squad (12) 3 Mortars (15) [27]*

Heavy5: Heavy Weapons Squad (12) 3 Mortars (15) [27]*

Heavy6: Heavy Weapons Squad (12) 3 Autocannons (45) [57]*

Heavy7: Heavy Weapons Squad (12) 3 Autocannons (45) [57]*

Heavy8: Wyvern (85) Heavy Bolter (8) [93]*

Total: 1999

*Catachan Regiment 

GAME1:

Mission: Game 1 - Tactical Escalation / Spearhead Assault

I would be facing Tau Commanded by Rob.

Rob's Tau was a Forgeworld (FW) heavy list, I know very little about Tau anyway.. so this won't help me describe my opponents army... Sorry! Starting at the top with some sort of FW Commander with Drones, 3 FW Drones with 2 Seeker Missiles each and twin burstcannons, 2x3 Tetras with Markerlights, 3x5 Fire Warriors on the Walls that move, a Hammerhead with SMS and Rail Cannon, a Barracuda flyer, with a Yvar'a? Looked like a Riptide, but moves 18” and has a ton of weapons that cause lots of Damage per shot.

Deployment: 

Most of the Forgeworld stuff can deep strike, so we went back and forth until Rob ran out of deep strikes, he then deployed the Fire Warriors embarked on the Walls on two objectives with the Hammerhead, the Y'Vara and a FW Commander at the front of his deployment zone.

As we were playing Spearhead Assault, I lined the entire front of my deployment zone and also the sides so I was fully protected from things deep striking behind my lines with Conscripts and Platoon squads. Then filling my deployment zone went the rest of my stuff, with Yarrick and the Commissar providing Moral protection and Harker and Yarrick ensuring almost all of my force would be re-roll 1's to hit!

TURN1

Rob went first, I failed to seize, so he deep struck the Tetras and Drones, the Y'Vara and Commander both moved as far forwards as possible. Rob shot a lot and did a lot of damage to the Conscripts, but didn't wipe them out, he removed a Taurox with the Y'vara and crippled a Manticore with the Barracuda. The Hammerhead stripped 3 wounds from the other Taurox. I had survived turn1 largely okay.

I brought down all the Tempestus stuff. I didn't get the tactic perfectly right, I brought down 2 Command squads to kill a 6 wound Commander (Should have brought one Command squad and 1 Scion squad, 2 Command squads was way overkill), The Scions landed by the Barracuda, Tetras, Y'vara that were on my right flank. In the centre landed 2 more Command squads. I elected to keep 2 Scion units in reserve to tackle the Hammerhead and Walls or help clear my lines if things went drastically wrong.

The rest of my movement was simply moving Astropaths into Smite range of the Y'vara, they stripped 2 wounds from it.

After the dust had settled, both units of Tetras, the Drones, Y'Vara and the Commander were dead! The Tempestus units doing the most work, but a most noticeable mention to the Heavy Weapon Teams and Wyvern who provided excellent supporting fire, along with Harkers support.

TURN2

At this point the game was basically over, the Barracuda killed 2 Manticores (Finished one off and annihilated the order) the Hammerhead removed the other Taurox and with support from the Fire Warriors killed the 2 Command squads that killed the Tau Commander. My turn2 and it was a mopping up job really, the Autocannon teams, Mortars, Wyvern and surviving Tempestus units either moved up to kill the Hammerhead and shot into the Barracuda.

The Barracuda survived on one wound, but the Hammerhead was dead!

TURN3

I lost a couple more models, but no complete unit as the weakened Barracuda did little to the Wyvern and the Fire Warrior wiffed badly!

My TURN3 + 4

The game was over now, it was just a matter of moving into range and tabling my opponent which was achieved on turn4 after removing the Barracuda on turn3 which exploded and nearly killed Harker. But at the beginning of turn4 my opponent had a Fire Warrior alive which was hiding, so a Mortar team took aim and killed it.

TABLING WIN!!!!

Overall I was VERY happy with how the list performed, I didn't play the best, but I'd not played with this list before at all and had only a couple of 8th ed games under my belt!

I'm off to work now, so GAME2 will follow later!

GAME2:

After tabling my first apponent confidence was feeling high! But then I saw my opponents list and thought I was dead to rights!

My opponent was Andrew and he was rocking Tyranids, much like a 4th edition? Style list Monstazilla.

His list from memory was: Tyrant with wings, 3x 3 Carnifexes with shooty weapons and talons, 2x5 Ravagers, 2x Trygon Primes with 2x 20 Termagaunts with 14 devourers and 6 Spinefists? And a unit of Rippers.

Andrew deployed in a line with all his Carnifexes and Tyrant with the Primes and Termagaunts tunnelling.

I deployed with the Conscripts outfront, Infantry squads behind bubble wrapping the mortars and tanks in 2 layers of infantry. With the Tempestus units in deep strike.

I failed to seize, so Andrew moved up and shot into the Conscripts, killing a whole load, then charged in with the Tyrant, killing a bunch more, I think 5 were left or so. In my turn the conscripts fell back from combat, leaving the Tyrant in teeth of my guns.

I needed that Tyrant dead and also as many of the Monstrous creatures as well! I elected to land all the Scions and Command squads behind Andrews forces, giving him two choices, either split or up only kill half my army. The Scions and Command squads killed 4 Carnifexes and mauled another badly. The Manticores, removed the Tyrant, the Tauroxes and Autocannon teams removed a Prime, then the Wyvern and Mortars removed a unit of 20 Termagaunts for a pretty deadly turn1!

Turn2 and Andrew split up the Carnifexes, 2 went backwords and 3 moved towards my lines. The Prime on my left flank also moved up. I didn’t lose a great deal to shooting and Andrew needing 9-10” charges failed a fair few, so this left him really exposed now, with anything that did reach my units, they didn’t kill much, so I fell back from combat again.

My turn2 shooting was equally deadly, when the dust had settled, Andrew was left with a smattering of stuff, a Prime on one or two wounds, a handful of Termagaunts, the Rippers and a Carnifex that was infront on a Command squad on 2 wounds.

Andrew finished off a few units, then in my turn I wiped the rest of the Tyranid forces from the table for another tabling win!!

GAME3:

Going into the final game on table2 and I was feeling okay, until I found out I would be facing the now infamous Storm Ravens!!

My opponent, Konrad, was rocking, Big Gulliman, 3 Storm Ravens, 3 Dreadnaughts, 7 Inquisitors and 3 Acolytes.

I would need some big slices of luck to win this one!

My opponent deployed the Dreads and Gully in his deployment line, the Ravens at the back. I flooded my deployment zone, I didn’t want Ravens and or Inquisitors in my lines sniping characters. With the Tempestus stuff in deep strike.

My opponents first turn was brutal, with the Ravens and Dreads killing both Taurox, 2 Manticores, 20 out of 30 conscripts, 2 Infantry squads and a Mortar team!! This was more than I expected!

I then needed to do some crippling damage with the Tempestus units, I needed to bring down 2 Ravens and damage a 3rd, but this wasn’t to be, I shot everything, but only killed 1 Raven and stripped 9 wounds from another.. it wasn’t enough. (On average I should kill 2 Ravens), so at this point it was a matter of me getting points.

My opponents turn2 was just a brutal, as the Ravens dropped off the Inquisitors which Smited the Tempestus units to death, with the Ravens, Dreads and Gully finishing them off.

In the end I managed to score 27pts (Max is 63) before I was tabled on turn5.

My army was gutted turn1 and finished off turn2 by a brutal army!

It was great to face the Ravens I’d read quite a bit about. I will need to change my force to be able to tackle this threat, I didn’t expect Ravens to be popular at this local event, but it turns out 5 out of 28 armies had more than 2 Ravens, I expect this to only rise. I need to be able to tackle this type of army reliably and I don’t feel my current list can handle 3 Ravens, let alone 5!

I was happy and disappointed to finish 4th, on 153/189pts (3rd finished on 157pts)

My army list review will follow shortly! 

Edited by Rob40k

First I'm hearing of Storm Ravens being brutal, but I haven't read too much about other armies. That last army sounds like the worst kind of Stilton and it's why I dislike tournaments... 7 Inquisitors? blegh...

In hindsight, knowing that Storm Ravens were that good, did you regret your decision to drop Hydras for Manticores?

First I'm hearing of Storm Ravens being brutal, but I haven't read too much about other armies. That last army sounds like the worst kind of Stilton and it's why I dislike tournaments... 7 Inquisitors? blegh...

In hindsight, knowing that Storm Ravens were that good, did you regret your decision to drop Hydras for Manticores?

Game 3 sounds like your opponent was a bit of a pleb with that sort of list, but despite that you got a great position in 4th :thumbsup:

Konrad is a good player and a nice person. But runs a competitive list. This is the type of challenge I go to tournaments for, to play the nastiest lists at the hands of people who know what they're doing. I get a kick out of winning these type of games and if I lose, I get more determined to refine my list and play. I find it makes me a better player. But each to there own, I know and used to play super casual, for like 10 years I played just friends, before I got bit by the tournament bug.  

The Hydras would have died the same as the Manticores, its one thing I thought about when I changed to Manticores. The Raven list will go first and as Hydras cannot be reserved they get shot! 

I'm happy with 4th! But also disappointed to come so close to 3rd and a nice trophy! :/ - the club runs a monthly event, so I will be back to challenge again in a few weeks! 

But until then, it gives me time to plot and gather some more troops! 

Now that the dust has settled and I have a few competitive games under my belt, as I always do, its time to sit down and review the list I took and think about changes that can be made.

My army is quite large in terms of units, so I won't go through each unit individually, but I will group all the same units together and go from there.

Starting at the top:

Yarrick 4/5 – Was great at holding the front line together, was a tough Warlord that was ready to counter attack anything that assaulted my lines, combined well with Harker to give almost army wide re-roll 1's to hit! Pretty much a must have for this army style.

Company Commander 2/5 – Didn't seem to be worth it for my liking, re-roll 1's to hit was enough, his orders felt wasted somewhat, I used his Plasma Pistol more than anything else. It's probably how I used him and going forward, I don't think I need him.

Commissar 3/5 – Faired slightly better than the Commander, plugged the gaps where needed so Yarrick could get max units in his Aura of re-roll's. Used his Plasma Pistol a lot! I feel like I need a back up to the Moral Aura if Yarrick is going off into combat.

Sergeant Harker 4/5 – Awesome, that re-roll of 1 Aura was amazing. Sat with the heavy weapon teams and artillery in each game, doing a sterling job, his Heavy Bolter did work as well! Bargain at 50pts! A must have in my eyes!

Astropaths 3.5/5 – Did a solid job, didn't use them right at first, but will get better as the games went on. 15Pts is dirt cheap so these are a must from now on! Should have been a 4/5, but it was my poor deployment that hamstrung them, in game 2 they did a lot of wounds, game3, they helped chip away at Ravens. I need more Smites!

Infantry Squads 3/5 – Did okay actually, 4's to hit was okay as well.. They're just a solid choice.. Flamer was a mistake, should have gone with more Plasmaguns.... Plasma is just the best choice alround, as they sat deeper than the Conscripts the Flamers were rarely in range and when the did hit, didn't do much. Plasma, Plasma, Plasma. I have other plans now.. so they are being dropped! But did okay for me on the day.

Manticores 2.5/5 – Meh.. did okay, sometimes great, sometimes rubbish, all depends on the number of shots, having 2 seemed more reliable than the 1 I took in practice. But, I need reliable firepower to deal with Ravens and in clutch moments, that double1 for shots is a killer!! 2D6 just isn't reliable enough, I rolled a few low number of shots and a few high number of shots. Just not reliable for me, I like consistency.

Wyvern 3/5 – The Wyvern just seemed an expensive Mortar team, Shred was okay.. but more shots is better. Again it performed admirably on the day, more Mortars are a better choice. Dropped as better choices out there.

Conscripts 4/5 – I slammed them after my practice games, but these did an awesome job stringing between multiple objectives and screening the fire power of the force from first turn assaults and driving back enemy deep strikes! Need more!

Heavy Weapons Teams 4/5 – Mortars are excellent, Autocannons did okay. 27Pts for 3 Mortars doing 3d6 number of shots is crazy good. And with the onset of Horde style armies. I need more, probably dropping the 2 Autocannon teams for 4 Mortar Teams!! Keep!

Taurox Primes 3/5 – 2 wasn't enough or it was too many. I think if you're going with Taurox, commit and take 4-6 or something, 2 helped support the gun line, but I could get the fire power cheaper elsewhere, they're not actually that durable. Assault Cannons melt them with re-rolls to hit and wound. They are good, don't get me wrong, but didn't suit the list I took them in.

Tempestus Scions, Command squads & Tempestor Primes 5/5 – EPIC, pretty much all I need to say. I rolled below average in game3, but these won me games 1 and 2. The fire power is deadly! And before the price of Plasma goes up, these are a must have. With the changes above, I'm upping the number of these I'm taking.

Thats all I have time for now.

Another list coming up later, I have an idea of what I want to take now, just need to see if it fits into 2000pts

It's always interesting to read tournament reports. Really not my cups of tea, but there's a lot of useful data and thoughts in all that. Thank you for the write-ups and well done on that 4th place!