Role of Primaris Marines in RG lists

Woahdude89

Well, a bit of converting is enough for me. The banner needs some work, but except for that it's a nice fit. The Mk7 helmet does make it look like truescale marine instead of something so different fluff-wise.

bannertypcluf1.jpg

Upside of the pushfit primaris, they already have lots of pouches, and scopes for almost everyone. Knives, maybe a doublemag and a different helmet works for me, just "veterans".

I was looking through the BRB and saw a pic of a 3rd company RG Primaris Captain in Gravis armor. I really want to know who he is. Is he an upgraded marine or in the 110 years did a primaris climb through the ranks?

I was looking through the BRB and saw a pic of a 3rd company RG Primaris Captain in Gravis armor. I really want to know who he is. Is he an upgraded marine or in the 110 years did a primaris climb through the ranks?

Plenty of leeway as I don't think a successor to Shrike was ever announced? 

Also, I've seen said around the place that fluff-wise Primaris captains can also be outside of the command organisation? i.e. 10 captains with additional Primaris one's that aren't in charge of companies.

So then either he became a Primaris or died and got replaced? Curious.

I'm really itching for more Primaris rules, or at the very least ways to get them beyond footslogging. Later this month we'll know.

THAT'S IT, time to buy that friggin' book.

Is it the all-black limited thing from back then (which wouldn’t make sense but is the only one I know), or is there some new book?

Edited by Kua

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we know the rules for all the new Primaris units I think we can get into a better discussion of this topic.

Intercessors have skyrocketed in usefulness with the option of Stalker bolt rifles, auto bolt rifles, and grenade launchers. Plus they can go to 10 and the sarge can take a power sword. I'm really liking the stalkers to hold a backfield objective and take pot shots at things with a grenade launcher firing krak grenades at 30". Put them in cover for a 2+ and -1 to hit beyond 12". Even auto rifles using Strike from the Shadows to infiltrate within 24-13", for the -1 to hit from our CT, is are deadly. The regular rifles fall short of the other two IMHO.

Reivers* are going to be exceptionally powerful with our CT. Out stratagem lets us place the units with full knowledge of who's going first because of it's timing. I really like the carbine option as well. Blades might be good for caracharodons if my +1A CT prediction is true, but for RG/RT I feel the carbines are more useful. Let VV and the like be the choppy units. So if going second put them somewhere beyond 12" to put shots out with carbines. But if going first deploy 9.1" away next to some VV. Move up and use their grenades to deny overwatch and let the VV roll in.

Our Aggressors with STFS are probably going to be the best in the game. Deploy them 13-18" away in cover for a 2+ T5 -1 to hit double-shooting dakka platform. Their one weakness is range, which our stratagem eliminates. Plus they can screen our HQs if going second.

Hellblasters are also going to be potent. I'm torn between the regular incinerator and the heavy, but leaning towards the heavy. S8/9 AP-4 D1/2 at 30" is going to threaten a lot of things. The assault variant is nice too if you feel you need some elite killers. Being 24" assault 2 will let them run around providing fire support and grabbing objectives. Plus S6 is a sweet spot against T4/5 being 3+ to wound. So killing gravis units will be easier.

*I find it funny that they used the "River Pirate" version of the more common reaver spelling.

Now that we know the rules for all the new Primaris units I think we can get into a better discussion of this topic.

Intercessors have skyrocketed in usefulness with the option of Stalker bolt rifles, auto bolt rifles, and grenade launchers. Plus they can go to 10 and the sarge can take a power sword. I'm really liking the stalkers to hold a backfield objective and take pot shots at things with a grenade launcher firing krak grenades at 30". Put them in cover for a 2+ and -1 to hit beyond 12". Even auto rifles using Strike from the Shadows to infiltrate within 24-13", for the -1 to hit from our CT, is are deadly. The regular rifles fall short of the other two IMHO.

Without having seen the rules for intercessors yet, I'd not be so quick to discount the standard intercessors. Assuming the other bolt weapons are 0p too (I don't know the real values), this still is a question of which role they should take.

MC stalker boltrifle is Heavy 1 36" on the captain, if it's the same on the standard version these guys would be the typical backfield objective holders. The same range as moving boltrifle intercessors (30" + 6"), but decreased output when needing to move, and no second shot below 15". Assault boltrifles may have a second shot, but not that nice -1AP. Superior when keeping the enemy at arm's length (which stacks nicely with RG CT) and advancing, but worse below 15" and above 24". All versions have their place, but for now I'll stay with the standard guys. Worse in one or other range, but always useful.

My immediate plans are a captain with MC stalker boltrifle and another 5 boltrifle intercessors. The captain shall buff my current backfield artillery (thunderfire cannon and lascannon razorback) while still contributing to the battle, and the current intercessor squad has already proven useful enough to paint up a second one. Aggressors might be pure win, but I simply don't like the models.

I love the assault hellblasters, point them at T4/W1 and they never have to overcharge, but still get -4AP. SftS for good starting position, then advance and double tap all game should make them a really useful unit.

The heavy variant looks appealing on paper, I'm just not sure if the single shot hurts their output to much, and against the heavy targets their higher strength wants to engage, you'll still lose a few models overcharging for 2 damage.

Intercessors look really useful too, as described above by Nus and the Major. I'd be tempted to run as 5 man, or combat squaded to max the grenade potential. Even though you can take 2 launchers per 10 models, I'm assuming that you can still only "fire" a single grenade per unit per turn.

Reivers denying Overwatch with SftS will pair well with our warlord Trait, for potentially 2 Overwatch-free 1st turn charges. If these can be against isolated units, all the better. I currently feel that a charge should aim to wipe the opposing unit, unlike last ed where it could be very helpful to leave a few enemy models locked for protection from shooting. With fall back moves making that tactic obsolete, picking a target 12+" from any friendlies and wiping it is not only tactically useful, but also sooooo fluffy and cool.

I've got a list idea for utilising Reavers + Angel of Death Warlord trait & banners. Other than that i actually like the idea of using Reivers with Bolt Carbines. (24" Assault 2 S4 AP 0 D1). They trade that for close combat weapons, but retain the heavy bolt pistol (s4 AP -1).

Frankly speaking, i'm not too impressed by the Aggressors. The Inceptors with plasma exterminators are extremely tempting, but the contention is the price factor. The Assault Bolter variant cost 225 points seemingly for no other reason than GW thinks they're insanely cool.

I think inceptors are well priced consider ing their versatility. Being able to fall back and unload is great. They can deepstrike unload speedbump and the fall back and unload again.

I also really like the carbine reiver option. They still have 2 base attacks and better shooting at range.

Problem with Inceptors is that they will rarely get a chance to fallback, because they get swatted like flies if you shoot at them. 

A 200+ point unit that gets killed off by small arms so easily is just really painful. Ultimately they are slightly tougher than 3 Intercessors or Reivers, thats all. In fact they are as tough as 3 Bikers, which nobody has every had trouble killing.

I love the idea of them, but...they just die against most opponents with any kind of shooting :(

In the games I've played with them my initial combined alpha strike maimed or killed their biggest threat. Out of about 8 games they only all died twice. Once to a plasma russ and then second when i kept using them as speed bumps and falling back and shooting but they lasted three turns. Anecdotal yes, but still.

And anything can die in one focused round of shooting. By that logic nothing is good. Which isnt true. T5 W2 3+ isnt the toughest but its not paper either. Put them in a bad spot and they'll die just like every thing else. The key is not to put them alone in a bad spot. I've been dropping them in places where they will maim an isolated infantry unit or behind some terminators. The termis soak fire and usually the inceptors are left alone.

Its not just dropping them in the thick of it, despite the short range they dont have to be overextended. Flyers and other units up close can overload threat priority of an opponent. With the new reserve rules you can even have them come down late game to finish off a small squad on a far objective where they will score it from relative safety. Theres a lot of easy ways to use inceptors and get your points back.

Fair enough, we'll have to differ on that one. Every time i have tried them so far somebody looks at them funny and they fall over. I'm not saying they aren't good, just not worth their points IMO.

It's quite possible it's a difference in metas, opponent play styles or the like too.