Role of Primaris Marines in RG lists

Woahdude89

I've got a list idea for utilising Reavers + Angel of Death Warlord trait & banners. Other than that i actually like the idea of using Reivers with Bolt Carbines. (24" Assault 2 S4 AP 0 D1). They trade that for close combat weapons, but retain the heavy bolt pistol (s4 AP -1).

Frankly speaking, i'm not too impressed by the Aggressors. The Inceptors with plasma exterminators are extremely tempting, but the contention is the price factor. The Assault Bolter variant cost 225 points seemingly for no other reason than GW thinks they're insanely cool.

This list idea excites me. So much stacking debuff! Are you considering anything specifically to take advantage of it (only thing I can think of atm is the Psychic Scourge power, but I bet there's loads), or is it "just" to dominate the morale game. Either way it both sounds awesome to play and is impossibly macabre and sinister. And right-handed.

I really want to like aggressors, but I just can't get into AP0. As Sallies or Fists I think they work well enough, but once they run out of T4/5+ they don't seem to do anything. Outside of our stratagem, they need a Repulsor as well, which has already killed all their preferred targets before they get out. Shame, cos I love the look of the flamer ones.

Not played with Inceptors, but Fly and plasma makes them immediately more useful and dangerous. I just don't like the models unfortunately. Maybe I could stick some plasma fists on the Aggressors and say they're teleport jumping about?

I played in a random partners team tourney this past weekend and saw first hand how useful Primaris units are.

I ran my typical list with lots of jump troops and infantry support, and my randomly assigned partner ran a full Primaris list. A couple units of Hellblasters, a few units of Intercessors, two units of Inceptors, a pair of Lieutenants, an Ancient, and a Captain. Also a three man unit of Reivers.

The key to his force are the characters. The Captain gives rerolls of 1 to hit, the Lieutenants give rerolls of 1 to wound, and the Ancient gives that snazzy "dying shot" on a 4+.

I ran interference while he laid into units with his shooting. The Hellblasters combined with the characters was a monster. Overcharge everything when useful, reroll the ones to hit, reroll the ones to wound, and any that actually die to overcharge you can fire AGAIN on a 4+ making sure you overcharge during the dying shot. We took first place by maiming anything that moved towards us, and then tying survivors up in melee.

We also made extensive use of our jump pack units by deploying them off the board and then dropping onto objectives or in the path of advancing units. His Inceptors were great at this due to their gun range and profile. Their T5 was also a factor, since the faster units they went up against typically wounded them on fives. He'd simply disengage from melee and pour shots into them, causing great amounts of damage.

Just heard that Inceptors got -15PPM shaved off. That's pretty awesome.

That synergy with rerolls and the banner sounded pretty ace.

If so, I will reconsider my statements on Inceptors being too expensive. 180pts for 3 bolt ones is much more reasonable, and sounds fun.

I've got a list idea for utilising Reavers + Angel of Death Warlord trait & banners. Other than that i actually like the idea of using Reivers with Bolt Carbines. (24" Assault 2 S4 AP 0 D1). They trade that for close combat weapons, but retain the heavy bolt pistol (s4 AP -1).

Frankly speaking, i'm not too impressed by the Aggressors. The Inceptors with plasma exterminators are extremely tempting, but the contention is the price factor. The Assault Bolter variant cost 225 points seemingly for no other reason than GW thinks they're insanely cool.

This list idea excites me. So much stacking debuff! Are you considering anything specifically to take advantage of it (only thing I can think of atm is the Psychic Scourge power, but I bet there's loads), or is it "just" to dominate the morale game. Either way it both sounds awesome to play and is impossibly macabre and sinister. And right-handed.

I really want to like aggressors, but I just can't get into AP0. As Sallies or Fists I think they work well enough, but once they run out of T4/5+ they don't seem to do anything. Outside of our stratagem, they need a Repulsor as well, which has already killed all their preferred targets before they get out. Shame, cos I love the look of the flamer ones.

Not played with Inceptors, but Fly and plasma makes them immediately more useful and dangerous. I just don't like the models unfortunately. Maybe I could stick some plasma fists on the Aggressors and say they're teleport jumping about?

Way off....

Aggressors are probably the best raven guard unit in the codex, but you have to run the bolter ones. 

if you SftS, you deploy after seize the initiative. So you put bolter aggressors 12" away and they count as not having moved. 

6 aggressors thus get 72 + 12d6 S4 shots... and if they get charged you get that again on overwatch:p

It's a hell of an alpha strike and VERY reliable. It's the only unit we have that can deal with things like conscripts IMO

So every raven guard army should run at least 6.

Way off....

Aggressors are probably the best raven guard unit in the codex, but you have to run the bolter ones.

if you SftS, you deploy after seize the initiative. So you put bolter aggressors 12" away and they count as not having moved.

6 aggressors thus get 72 + 12d6 S4 shots... and if they get charged you get that again on overwatch:p

It's a hell of an alpha strike and VERY reliable. It's the only unit we have that can deal with things like conscripts IMO.

You had me at 72 shots.

Jokes aside, those conscripts are precisely the thing i've been worries about my army facing.

SFTS Aggressors are definitely super, balls out, off the wall powerful. Especially if Shrike is near them, which he often will be. 

For clearing chaff screens, conscripts, Ork Boyz, whatever....there is nothing as good for the points.

Just because i really find these numbers so eye popping, here's 1 unit of 6 near Shrike double tapping after deploying with STFS.

114 shots average (72 +12d6).

101 hits.

Against Conscripts: 45 dead

Against Ork Boyz: 42 dead

Against Harlequins (just for laughs): 34 dead

Against power armour Marines: 17 dead

Thats ONE unit. The only thing they can't do well against is 2+ saves or vehicles really. But even then....

Against any T7/3+ save (Dread, predator, Rhino, whatever): 11 wounds

Against a Knight: 6 wounds

Against Terminators: 8 wounds

So until you get to T8 or 2+ saves, they just wreck the place. 2 units will clear almost all infantry in most armies in one salvo.

And this is why i suspect there is going to be some nerf to multiple units of Aggressors deploying with Shireke and SFTS :p

The thing I fear Primaris will suffer from is a low model count. Model count is king for objective taking and holding. Primaris will struggle to hold back large model count armies, especially those immune to morale losses.

It'll be very tough to get them across the board and onto those forward objectives held by the enemy.

That has always been a marine issue in general.  The key is issuing enough firepower to stall the enemy for as long as possible.    So if you can do enough damage to his troops you only need 1 guy to take an objective from him regardless how many he has.

You don't have to worry about model count. Space marine troops get new objective secured via Defenders of Humanity. As long as you're battleforged one marine intercessor can hold against 50 conscripts.

Reguarding the last post. What markings would agressors have on their armor. I think a yellow trimmed shoulder as they seem to be heavy support although they are an elite choice?

Would be whatever Company they are assigned to.

The "color denotes unit type" hasn't been an official thing for several issues now. You can still do it if you like, but they officially use Codex markings as of at least 7th. Still only the right shoulder though.

Edit: Editions, not issues. Race will get that goof.

Edited by Claws and Effect

Way off....

Shows how much I know.... :)

SftS units are deployed to the shadows, not the battlefield, so I assume they count as having moved along with all the other units that arrive from reserves.

It's a hell of an alpha strike and VERY reliable. It's the only unit we have that can deal with things like conscripts IMO

Really good against horde chaff, although I'm not sure if they still hold up without playing it that they can fire twice. Anything mechanised though and you're spending a CP to pop a transport before your 250 pt unit vanishes to retaliation. Hopefully no one tries to charge them though :D

I think the rules are pretty clear cut.

Its a deployment that's done last minute before the game starts, its not an in game insertion.

I posted in another thread (the CT focus one I believe) rule book clearly states rule of 1 doesnt apply to pre game stratagems.

So no real FAQ required?

SftS places the unit at the start of the first game turn, but before the first player turn.

Aggressors can double tap when not moving on their turn, and movement phase is the first phase of each player turn. So yes, they can, because SftS ends before the first player turn.

Edited by MajorNese

I wish they could just have melee weapons instead of Power Fists, it's such a waste of points. I bet they could hold more ammo without them too. But yeah, I think the shooting aspects of my RG army and use of SftS is going to be centered around Hellblasters and Aggressors, with potentially some Intercessors as well depending on how well my Scout loadouts work.

Lieutnant + Ancient + 6 Agressors + Hellblasters placed with Sfts. =4 CP

Captain on Bike 20" move right next to them or Shrike / Captain with Jumppack via drop.

Played this in 2 games, it was amazing. Tomorrow I'll try 3 Assbacks (Razorback w/twin Assault Cannons, Stormbolter ) with 5 Tacs inside. Round 1 just advance + Smoke Launcher and at round 2 there is massive pressure on the enemy with the Primaris in the middle (sfts) with 3 Razorbacks with 36 str 6 shots. Maybe with reroll :)