Unit of the Week: Primaris Marines

Acebaur

On reddit someone said the bolter inceptors are 170 points now....I might actually use them at that price. It's between Aggressors and Inceptors if that is true. Aggressors put out more bolter dakka, but Inceptors have fly. I'm actually really loving this, my only bugaboo is not having las or melta. Edited by HCMistborn

It would be cool if the Hellblasters got access to the Onslaught Gatling Cannon. It seems like the plan for the foreseeable future is to pump out the rest of these kits with the codex, then move onto the next thing, like DG. But I can see in the future getting access to the Onslaught. 

On reddit someone said the bolter inceptors are 170 points now....I might actually use them at that price. It's between Aggressors and Inceptors if that is true. Aggressors put out more bolter dakka, but Inceptors have fly. I'm actually really loving this, my only bugaboo is not having las or melta.

That's interesting.. someone else on the forum was claiming they went up. I would have thought that to be impossible. I've played Inceptors in almost every game and at 225 for the squad they leave a lot to be desired.

As fa as Reivers I really don't know what to make of them, and aren't they elite choices?

The Intercessors I find work best dirt cheap. I find my lists are quite small and threaten to get smaller with the release of the Redemptor and Repulsor arose no the corner. I prefer them on foot to provide a screen.

Reivers, from what I've seen, seem to be the most stand-out choice of the new Primaris infantry units.  Lots of nasty abilities and toys on those things.  I just need to find a friend around here willing to spare a head or two for a Chaplain kit bash :wink:

Aggressors are the next 'shiniest' choice.  The rest all sort of seem to land in the 'don't know what to make of this yet' category of the internet gestalt.  A whole lot of that does look to be placed at the feet of their arguably uninspiring point costs.

Just my observations, really.  I've not given more than a passing glance to any of them.

Edited by Firepower

What do you guys think the best Chapter Tactics for the Primaris are?

Depends on the unit.

Raven Guard and Imperial Fists have good synergy with Intercessors with Stalker boltguns.

Ultramarines, Iron Hands and Sallies have good synergy with Aggressors.

Its actually quite a good coverage for units and CTs usefulness. So i would pick the units you like and then whatever CT you have is just a bonus, or if you plan to add some primaris to you current army just have a think about how they interact with eachother and see if you like the result.

GW none too subtly pushed the Rievers + Helbrecht + Templar CT when they announced them.  Not familiar enough with the Rievers to know just how much a charge range re-roll helps, though.

Edited by Firepower

Guest uk_crow

What are people's thoughts on the viability of all primaris lists?

Thinking of a gunline list with intercessors, hellblasters and redemptor dreads with reivers and inceptors causing trouble. Maybe a repulsor or 2?

Would be using RG chapter tactics.

That's the exact army I currently tweaking. Auto Bolter Intercessors heading up field to claim and hold objectives, supported by a Gravis Captain and a Librarian for psychic shenanigans.

Combined with the anvil of the gunline Primaris, some Reivers, Inceptors or two and at least one Redemptor.

Looking forwards to trying it out!

The major downfall for a full primaris list at the moment is the lack of high damage weapons that can be taken throughtout the army for anti tank.

Hellblasters are good but only 2 damage when overcharged, so the full squad will have to dedicate itself to chipping away at a vehicle.

A las repulsor is expensive with only 4 las shots, so taking 2 to have access to a decent amount of anti tank will cost more than quarter of you points at 2k.

A cheaper anti-tank would be Aggressors, just shot infantry with them and use close combat to take out vehicles but you have to get there first.

Guest uk_crow

@valdr fell-fist - good to know I'm not alone in planning by a primaris list. Interesting thought about the librarian, what would you use him for? Im considering some LTs for those sweet rerolls.

@brother captain Sirius - that's my biggest concern as well. The repulsor(s) should definitely run double las, interesting though about the aggressors, they look brilliant for horse control. I believe the heavy plasma incinerator is s9 on overcharge so they might be an auto include coupled with captains and/or LT

I was hoping there would be a flyer but to it doesn't seem to be the case.

@theangrynomad- if I can find the points, I'll sit a lieutenant with the gunline. Hellblasters with heavy plasma incinerators...with re-rolls? Yes please.

As for the Primaris Librarian, I'm thinking more psychic defence than anything, with Psychic Fortress and most likely Null Zone-there's a lot of Harlequins around me.

But our local group has definitely come down on the side of choosing, not rolling, for powers, warlord traits etc. So if there's no/few psykers against me, I'll probably alternate between psychic scourge (thank you, Reivers) and Might of Heroes for the other power.

As for anti-tank I'm not particularly worried. A Redemptor or two with the Macro Plasma Incinerator should suffice for close range anti tank. I'm already becoming notorious locally for exceptionally good damage rolls. There's a running joke that one day I'll manage to do 6 damage off of a D3...

Edit: Full disclosure: I'm planning on using Inperial Fist tactics, so the auto bolters lack of AP isn't too much of an issue. So I can see how other Chapters may want to keep the standard Bolt Rifles.

Edited by Valdr Fell-fist

Guest uk_crow

I can't decide on heavy or the standard incinerators. I'm just about to drive to my local GW to pick up my codex so will have a look at their stats.

Yeah the macro plasma incinerator looks to be the choice armament on the redemptor. I think just using volume of fire to bring down stuff is key to primaris lists with rerolls to improve reliability of damage.

I had considered the stalker bolt rifles for my intercessors but I think they're a bit of a trap. Will probably stick with the standard rifles for adaptability.

Will make a list and post later on

I'm interested to know if anyone is planning to try out Reivers with grav-chutes and bolter carbines.

I mostly like how good they look, but they're a bit naff as far as the theory-hammering goes.

I also intend to have some Hellblasters (basic plasma incinerator), points costs be damned.

Thinking of a gunline list with intercessors, hellblasters and redemptor dreads with reivers and inceptors causing trouble. Maybe a repulsor or 2?

I've watched some games on youtube and the Primaris pure armies tend to get cut down to a man, but still win because they brought something like Guilliman or Redemptors. Hellblasters are not dependable as an anti-tank option though, as from what I've seen a devastator/havoc squad in cover with lascannons will just focus immediate fire on them and turn them into paste. As they have an 83% to one-shot primaris in damage. One game I watched had it demolish 2 helbrutes, one-shotting both of them in melee. Black Templar players like Firepower are going to love them.

The Redemptor Primaris Dreadnought is just a beast in melee though.

I've watched some games on youtube and the Primaris pure armies tend to get cut down to a man, but still win because they brought something like Guilliman or Redemptors. Hellblasters are not dependable as an anti-tank option though, as from what I've seen a devastator/havoc squad in cover with lascannons will just focus immediate fire on them and turn them into paste. As they have an 83% to one-shot primaris in damage. One game I watched had it demolish 2 helbrutes, one-shotting both of them in melee. Black Templar players like Firepower are going to love them.

Love what?  That Hellblasters do good damage?  I'm having a hard time picking up text sarcasm today. :wacko.:

I've watched some games on youtube and the Primaris pure armies tend to get cut down to a man, but still win because they brought something like Guilliman or Redemptors. Hellblasters are not dependable as an anti-tank option though, as from what I've seen a devastator/havoc squad in cover with lascannons will just focus immediate fire on them and turn them into paste. As they have an 83% to one-shot primaris in damage. One game I watched had it demolish 2 helbrutes, one-shotting both of them in melee. Black Templar players like Firepower are going to love them.

Love what? That Hellblasters do good damage? I'm having a hard time picking up text sarcasm today. :wacko.:

I think he is referring to the level of beastlyness that the redemptor brings in melee.

Love what?  That Hellblasters do good damage?  I'm having a hard time picking up text sarcasm today. :wacko.:

I'm talking about the Redemptor. It can crump a helbrute in one round of melee thanks to how beefy its powerfist attack is.