Unit of the Week: Primaris Marines

Acebaur

Primaris suffer from the GK/DW problem of being expensive marines that die like marines.

In a world where the vast majority of armies are Marines people will bring anti-marine weapons.

One of the best and commonly available anti marine weapons is plasma, which just so happens to negate the defensive bonus that Primaris get (2w).

On paper I'd agree, but so far on the table my Primaris seem to be performing extremely well. Frankly, it's not THAT easy to bring enough overcharged plasma (unless facing other Primaris amusingly).

I've found them pretty good as troops to date. Still not sold on Inceptors mind you.

What are people's thoughts on the viability of all primaris lists?

Thinking of a gunline list with intercessors, hellblasters and redemptor dreads with reivers and inceptors causing trouble. Maybe a repulsor or 2?

Would be using RG chapter tactics.

I've watched some games on youtube and the Primaris pure armies tend to get cut down to a man, but still win because they brought something like Guilliman or Redemptors. Hellblasters are not dependable as an anti-tank option though, as from what I've seen a devastator/havoc squad in cover with lascannons will just focus immediate fire on them and turn them into paste. As they have an 83% to one-shot primaris in damage. One game I watched had it demolish 2 helbrutes, one-shotting both of them in melee. Black Templar players like Firepower are going to love them.

Love what?  That Hellblasters do good damage?  I'm having a hard time picking up text sarcasm today. :wacko.:

I'm talking about the Redemptor. It can crump a helbrute in one round of melee thanks to how beefy its powerfist attack is.

Oh. :laugh.:

If I didn't hate the model, and actually had enough money to buy one, yes.  The capabilities for righteous smashiness in the name of the Emperor are definitely there, all the same.  I  certainly won't begrudge my fellow black and white loonies for pasting the unclean with those goofy looking buggers. :teehee:

Edited by Firepower

GW seems to be only giving unique guns to Primaris. So far the only classic weapons for Primaris and Redemptor are all melee I think. Maybe FW will start doing Primaris models like a Redemptor variant, but I think GW will never put classic guns on the Redemptor or Primaris models, especially not a FW unique gun.

Or did you mean a Redemptor body counts-as Leviathan?

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

Depends on whether your army needs more anti-tank or anti-horde. The plasma is pretty good overall though IMO. A hair better than a twin lascannons aganar vehicles, but notably better than the las against heavy infantry.

The HOG just mows down light stuff effectively. Also, you get to call it the HOG, which is a bonus point.

I keep thinking I need to get my Primaris in vehicles, but then I look at my model count and the points cost of the Repressor and I think... maybe I should just roll with ground pounders a bit longer?

I actually commend GW for making the press fit stuff fairly usable. I feared an outbreak of angry people once the full rules were announced but I feel like my builds are economical and legit.

Prot, exactly.  I held off building my DI Primaris (sans LT) as I waited for the Codex.  Even leaks didn't assuage me.  The more I look at the sum, the more confident I feel I can go ahead with them and save a few bucks against the multi-part kit for now.

Prot, exactly.  I held off building my DI Primaris (sans LT) as I waited for the Codex.  Even leaks didn't assuage me.  The more I look at the sum, the more confident I feel I can go ahead with them and save a few bucks against the multi-part kit for now.

Absolutely. The funny thing is I feel no pressure to run out and buy the multi part kits. I know I will, but not because of the 'I win' feeling as much as perhaps wanting variety down the road (in poses, and loadout).

Perhaps the grenade launcher is one 'fun' thing I can see having a blast with... popping Orks or a dread with a frag or krak grenade could be fun (if that's how it works). :)

The Helblasters out of the DI box are... still my favorite loadout. I like cheap and killy!

So my primaris army is so far 2 sets of DI and a redemptor. I plan on adding another redemptor and a box of intercessors and hellblasters and that will hopefully do.

The gravis captains and inceptors are getting sold off and will kit bash myself 2 captains.

2 Captains

1-2 lieutenants

6x5 intercessors

2 redemptors

4x5 hellblasters.

I don't mind walking but will be more of a gunline army

Thinking about it, multi-part models that have the weapon held across the chest really don't have a huge range of poses available. The mono-pose models can be given most of the variation you need simply by cutting off the neck peg and adjusting the position of the head. I have 10 of the Hellblasters, and no two are exactly alike. The Inceptors can be given a bit of variety by cutting the shoulder pegs off and repositioning the arms, then turning the head one way or the other. My two squads again have adequate variety even though "mono-pose".

Playing Malifaux has taught me that as long as a model looks good, it doesn't much matter how much variety it provides.

I'm still surprised that Primaris aren't allowed into regular vehicles, I assumed that the 5 man MKX would be 2 slots, and the Gravis would be 3, which would make sense with them being 3 man squads for Gravis. It sucks being stuck with foot slogging or Repulsor, but I know it could be worse. AdMech still doesn't have anything.