A return to the Death Guard and a new start.

Ok the Defiler is coming along great, I really like the claws added to the front.

Just to ask what do you have planned for the head? If I may make a suggestion?

How about using the standard Blood Slaughterers head but sculpting a helmet over it similar to the Helbrutes so the jaws are still exposed but the eyes are either deleted or Cyclopean? Cyclopean may be a bit too similar to the Helbrute and DP though.

I like the idea of the chainmail on the Helbrute but that piece is too thin I think. Have you looked at some of the larger shield bits from the Ogre Kingdoms range. There's one or two of them with some rough chainmail hanging from them. They might work?

Loving your creations though bud :tu:

Edited by Biohazard

About the deflier: he works for me except for two things. The fiend exhausts on the aracknarock body, which I think that would be better if reversed and put on the chitinous back part (so that instead of down to up the inclination goes up to dow). And I'm not too sure about he having belly, maybe it is because the thing isn't greenstuffed yet, but reminds me of the part that I like the less about Belisarius Cawl.

About the brute: I like the new aditions except for the chainmail, it is too long and makes the space between the legs even more evident, as it leaves two empty spaces at each side instead of filling it. If you want to fill that (and I'm not sure if I would bother) maybe some loose chains with hooks or skulls would do the trick as, even though they don't "cover" it as such, they give detail to that zone, without being too focused in one spot and so making the empier spots weird.

I actually tried turning them the other way around, after your suggestion, and it doesn't really work to my - it sort of screws up the silhouette. The chitinous back part will be covered with intersecting/overlapping armour plates ala the torso. Good point about the chainmail - he's still missing some tubes connecting his legs to the groin, so I hope that'll help. :)

Looking at the Helbrute, I'm not sure if it needs the chainmail to fill the gap between its legs.

Perhaps bulking up up the (Plaguecaster) chest piece so it is more attached to the rest of the model would probably draw the eye away from the gap.

The (Spawn) insect arms are great though, a solid addition to the model.

Thanks - reg. the chainmail, see above. :)

Ok the Defiler is coming along great, I really like the claws added to the front.

Just to ask what do you have planned for the head? If I may make a suggestion?

How about using the standard Blood Slaughterers head but sculpting a helmet over it similar to the Helbrutes so the jaws are still exposed but the eyes are either deleted or Cyclopean? Cyclopean may be a bit too similar to the Helbrute and DP though.

I like the idea of the chainmail on the Helbrute but that piece is too thin I think. Have you looked at some of the larger shield bits from the Ogre Kingdoms range. There's one or two of them with some rough chainmail hanging from them. They might work?

Loving your creations though bud :thumbsup:

Thanks! Cool that you like the claws - I wasn't sure if they are too weedy. 

You may def. make suggestions regarding the head. I'm not sure the slaughterers head will work, but I like the eyeless idea - I've always found that very creepy. I have to ponder that a bit. :)

Wow! The Helbrute and the Defiler are both looking awesome! I really like the way the Defiler is shaping up, though it does need some work on the head to get that Nurgley feel to it. Expanding on what Biohazard suggested, you could keep the top half of the head and give it fly-like sucker mouth piece. Like one of the Plague Drone models has.

You say that the claws are weedy, but I like that they're a bit smaller. It marks them out as a secondary weapon, with the battle cannon being the primary weapon.

BTW; I've met a bit of a hurdle. Here is my WIP army list: 

HQ:

Typhus 164  
45 plague reaper
209 pts

Daemon Prince wings 170   
Daemonic axe 10
180 pts

Elites:

Helbrute 72    
Fist 40
Scourge 45
157 pts

Hellforged Contemptor 116    
Deathclaw 40
Butcher Cannon 45
Combibolter 2
203 pts

5 x Terminators 155   

Reaper Autocannon 15
Power fist 12
4 x power axes 20
4 x combi plasma 60
242 pts

Troops:

7 x Plague marines 133   
Power fist 12
3 x plasma gun 39
184 pts

7 x Plague marines 133    
Power fist 12
1 x Plasma gun 13, 2 x blight launcher 28
186 pts

20 Pox walkers  
120 pts

Fast:

Bloat drone 99   Pwr: 10
2 plaguespitters 34
Plague probe 25
158 pts

Heavy:

Defiler 152
Scourge 12
Reaper autocannon 15
Claws 0
179 pts

Decimator 90
2 x Soul Burners 60
150 pts

Total: 1969 pts.

The hurdle being; As you can see, there's no ForgeFiend. As far as I can gather, the Forgefiend is not part of a Death Guard army - meaning that if I take it, the army will still be battle forged, but not Legion: Death Guard - which means that I won't get the DR rule, and Plague Marines are not troops. Is this correctly understood? If so, thats a bummer. Is there any way I can take a Forgefiend, without having to get more (non DG) troops and a HQ? 

As you can see from the list, I have a backup plan; I had a Decimator lying in a bag from some years ago, when I did my Dark Mechanicus army - it's never been assembled, so I've just washed the parts tonight, and plan to do some creative cutting on it; the armour plates seem much to square, compared to the curvy Chaos aesthetic. I would think that a 10 wound, regenerating, assault 24" inch Soul Burner Petard carrying, 5,28 mortal wounds on average outputting Daemon Engine is nothing to sneeze at. ;)

Well, you could play the Forgefiend in an Auxiliary Detachment, but you would loose a Command Point, which isn't great, so I would advise taking an Spearhead allied detachment, to fit all of your Daemon Engines (and possible other stuff that DG can't take) on it. Also, Typhus doesn't have to pay for Manreaper, all of the unique characters come with their weapons included, the plague reaper is the weapon of the Lord of Contagion. You have other things that DG can't take right now, such as the terminators, if I was you I would wait until their Codex is released (which should be soon) before planning any list.

Well, you could play the Forgefiend in an Auxiliary Detachment, but you would loose a Command Point, which isn't great, so I would advise taking an Spearhead allied detachment, to fit all of your Daemon Engines (and possible other stuff that DG can't take) on it. Also, Typhus doesn't have to pay for Manreaper, all of the unique characters come with their weapons included, the plague reaper is the weapon of the Lord of Contagion. You have other things that DG can't take right now, such as the terminators, if I was you I would wait until their Codex is released (which should be soon) before planning any list.

Probably some sensible advice, about waiting - I know it's not finalised, I just wanted some idea of what to build. :)

Anyway, solid advice - and thanks for the tip on the plague reaper - that means Typhus is an even better deal now. ;)

I've made a drastic decision. It was made for two reasons;

First being that I wasn't really loving the Defiler. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't loving it either, and I need to crazy in love with my work for me to really enjoy it and be satisfied. When I make something like that, I can't stop looking at it from different angles, and I felt that the Defiler was lacking in several ways - the scourge wasn't really what I wanted, the pose was sort of boring, etc.

The second being that my Forgefiend, which I really liked, couldn't make it into the Death Guard army list - for some reason DG doesn't like them. I know it could be made into a secondary detachment, but then the Detachment wouldn't be DG, and it just... Didn't feel right. Also, the legs seemed kind of small for it - it bordered on the comical. I want the theme to feel steampunkish, but never comical. I want scary, dammit!

So the decision was to rip both Forgefiend and Defiler apart, and make a rocking Defiler from the best of both worlds, and lo and behold, I think I did it - this, I REALLY like:

def4.jpg

The tendrils are meant to be the Defiler Scourge - I reckon they work, but comments and critique are welcomed. :)

I'm still wondering if it should have some of the Forgefiend exhausts - I might experiment a bit.

The legs took a lot of time - first, all the necron pattern crevasses had to be filled, then filed, and then put through distressing/corrosion hell with my dremel - well worth it, at the end. I still need to do corrosion on the armour plates, but that'll get done, once it's put completely together - that way I know where it'll need to go.

On another note, my Daemon Prince's missing leg has arrived - hopefully an update about that later tonight.

Oh, and a word of warning - a couple of nights ago, I was cutting a piece of plastic with my plastic cutters, and it had some dried superglue stuck to it. The dried superglue is very hard, and a piece of it was launched into my eye, embedding itself into to cornea of my left eye - now, that hurt.
I tried flushing my eye and and I thought it was okay, so I went to sleep. The morning after it was even worse, so my wife (a nurse) gave me a scolding for ignoring it, and sent me off to the emergency room. They managed to dig it out, it had managed to go a little deep, and given me some antibiotic eye drops. It's much better now, thankfully, and my eyesight don't seem to have suffered, but I'll be sure to get some safety goggles when working on stuff like that in the future - and you should too; we only get one set of eyes, and they should never be taken for granted. :)

Ok, I liked the original build of the Defiler and Forgefiend but mate, I LOVE this! Like you say it has the best of both models and really feels like a Deathguard contraption. :tu:

I feel the exact same way about my builds, if I don't love it I tend to leave it for a long time before coming back to it. Look at both my Angrons, I have ideas for them but when I sit down to work on him I just don't feel them or that I'm getting nowhere. I will work on them soon I just tend to work on what grabs my attention when I sit at my desk.

That's a great tip with the safety goggles, I had a similar experience a few years back. Oh and nurses always tell you off. They have zero sympathy for their partners :D I'm marrying one next year and whenever I injure myself I get told to man up and get on with it. :D

Ok, I liked the original build of the Defiler and Forgefiend but mate, I LOVE this! Like you say it has the best of both models and really feels like a Deathguard contraption. :thumbsup:

I feel the exact same way about my builds, if I don't love it I tend to leave it for a long time before coming back to it. Look at both my Angrons, I have ideas for them but when I sit down to work on him I just don't feel them or that I'm getting nowhere. I will work on them soon I just tend to work on what grabs my attention when I sit at my desk.

That's a great tip with the safety goggles, I had a similar experience a few years back. Oh and nurses always tell you off. They have zero sympathy for their partners :biggrin.: I'm marrying one next year and whenever I injure myself I get told to man up and get on with it. :biggrin.:

Thanks, man! Much appreciated. :)

Yep, I think most conversion addicts do it that way - I have a whole box of stranded/on hiatus/given up on projects, and I tell myself I'll get back to them; I do, but it's usually to loot the parts for a new cooler project. ;) 

Definitely right about the nurses - no sympathy when you get hurt. :D I have a theory that it's because they've seen much, much worse than our tiny battle scars. 

I'm very happy to hear your eye is fine. That's a great reminder to all of us: while it may just be a fun hobby, a lot of us tend to forget it can be hazardous to our health haha

I have to agree with Biohazard and Sagentus, while I truly enjoyed both of the originals, you definitely made the right call. Your defiler 2.0 is just epic! The front pic shows how menacing it is, and the side pic really shows the flow of the model. It reminds me of a biomechanical squid... but about 100x more disturbing :D

Is it just me, or does it look like there's a gas mask connecting the scourge to the body?

My father, a five time wounded combat vet, was alot like your wife. You pretty much had to lose a limb for him to not tell you to stop whining. :) Glad your eye is OK.  Had a couple eye injuries myself. I'm fairly religious about my safety glasses when I'm doing a lot of construction of using my dremel.

That Defiler is just... inspiring. I mean there are a lot of other words to talk about such an absolutely imaginative and down right cool use of varied bitz it is, but inspiring really brings it all together OUTSTANDING job.  The only problem I see is that it makes me want to go buy 3 kits and bash together something like that, but with a great big eyeball , for my army... and I'm really trying to keep my model purchases down. :)

How have I not been following this. This is amazing work. You've got a new fan. Also we think similarly when it comes to Nurgle war machines.

I'm just gonna say it,a bunch of ideals shamelessly stolen from you now

Edited by TURBULENCE

That is just jaw dropping. I liked the original ,but this is just something else! truely aspirational looking at your work 

Thanks a lot  - I think this is a major improvement as well. 

I'm very happy to hear your eye is fine. That's a great reminder to all of us: while it may just be a fun hobby, a lot of us tend to forget it can be hazardous to our health haha

I have to agree with Biohazard and Sagentus, while I truly enjoyed both of the originals, you definitely made the right call. Your defiler 2.0 is just epic! The front pic shows how menacing it is, and the side pic really shows the flow of the model. It reminds me of a biomechanical squid... but about 100x more disturbing

Is it just me, or does it look like there's a gas mask connecting the scourge to the body?

Thanks - I was also pretty relieved regarding my eye - it's somehow more scary when it's your eyes getting hurt. 

Yeah, I'm really happy with it too - and judging by the overwhelming response here, I think I made the right choice. :)

My father, a five time wounded combat vet, was alot like your wife. You pretty much had to lose a limb for him to not tell you to stop whining. Glad your eye is OK.  Had a couple eye injuries myself. I'm fairly religious about my safety glasses when I'm doing a lot of construction of using my dremel.

That Defiler is just... inspiring. I mean there are a lot of other words to talk about such an absolutely imaginative and down right cool use of varied bitz it is, but inspiring really brings it all together OUTSTANDING job.  The only problem I see is that it makes me want to go buy 3 kits and bash together something like that, but with a great big eyeball , for my army... and I'm really trying to keep my model purchases down. 

Ok, 5 times wounded combat vet - I think he wins this round. Thanks a lot man - I love it when my work can inspire other people - the craziest thing is that everything, except for the bloat drone, was lying in my bitz box. :D

(Ps: Do it. Always follow inspiration. Food is overrated.)

Safety specs and a good dust mask 

Glad the eye is okay and holy hell that defiler is super creepy.

Thanks! :)

How have I not been following this. This is amazing work. You've got a new fan. Also we think similarly when it comes to Nurgle war machines.

I'm just gonna say it,a bunch of ideals shamelessly stolen from you now

Well, you're following now, so you're forgiven. ;) Joking aside, thanks a lot - steal away, that's why we share. 

Insane! And i thought the first version was good, this is spectacular!

Thanks! :) 

I've started cutting up the legs, to repose them, and blocking in the pose; I think I've finally found what I was looking (cue U2) - they obviously still need a lot of sculpting to rid them of the tyranid look, and give them armour plates, but the basic shape and pose are pretty much in place:

dpnew5.jpg

dpnew6.jpg

I've also done a bit of work on the Decimator I found in a bag lying about - I've ground down the square leg plates, and have plans to do the same to the shoulder pads, since they don't fit at all with the "rounded armour daemon engine aesthetic" (they were also made before Chaos was revamped), but for some reason I don't think it works as all - it just seems... Lego-ish, like a toy? I'm a bit stumped, because I'd really like a Decimator for the DG army, with dual Soul Burners, but right now it looks like I need to go back to the drawing board.

dm1.jpg

The new defiler looks great. At first glance I thought the cannons might be top heavy but they aren't, it is obviously raising up its backend like some weird scorpion sting. It looks really great and the mouth scourge thing looks horrifying, like it is going to eat huge brains. It reminds me of an illithid from D&D with an unhealthy dose of Lovercratian cyclopean mythos thrown in to shave of a little more sanity.

The daemon prince new leg looks good, and I really like the three arms, but I would like to see him next to the defiler for a sense of scale. He seems greater daemon sized but it is hard to tell.

I like the decimator. I can tell it would take a lot of work to fully round off the edges, and you just did loads of work on the defilers legs to de-necronify them, but my gut is once you do the similar dremel corrosion work on the decimator after smoothing it'll most likely look great.

If the new Plague Marine datasheet in the new codex is anything to go by the new Death Guard Codex is going to have you converting wonderful things of Nurgle until 9th :smile.:

Edit: Regards the list and was already mentioned no terminators yet for DG. Also as termies are W2 now and so expensive the temptation to overcharge may have you kill your own guys with the combi-plasma, even with auras for re-rolls. I think your Sorceror's can take Dark Hereticus (only Malignant Plaguecatser has to take Contagion), and if they can Prescience really helps with that (depending on what type of game you play). As far as I can tell the daemon prince can as well.

Edited by Marius Perdo

The new defiler looks great. At first glance I thought the cannons might be top heavy but they aren't, it is obviously raising up its backend like some weird scorpion sting. It looks really great and the mouth scourge thing looks horrifying, like it is going to eat huge brains. It reminds me of an illithid from D&D with an unhealthy dose of Lovercratian cyclopean mythos thrown in to shave of a little more sanity.

The daemon prince new leg looks good, and I really like the three arms, but I would like to see him next to the defiler for a sense of scale. He seems greater daemon sized but it is hard to tell.

I like the decimator. I can tell it would take a lot of work to fully round off the edges, and you just did loads of work on the defilers legs to de-necronify them, but my gut is once you do the similar dremel corrosion work on the decimator after smoothing it'll most likely look great.

If the new Plague Marine datasheet in the new codex is anything to go by the new Death Guard Codex is going to have you converting wonderful things of Nurgle until 9th :smile.:

Edit: Regards the list and was already mentioned no terminators yet for DG. Also as termies are W2 now and so expensive the temptation to overcharge may have you kill your own guys with the combi-plasma, even with auras for re-rolls. I think your Sorceror's can take Dark Hereticus (only Malignant Plaguecatser has to take Contagion), and if they can Prescience really helps with that (depending on what type of game you play). As far as I can tell the daemon prince can as well.

Thanks, man! Yep, this whole 8th thing has me more inspired than I've been in years. Good stuff. :)

I took a quick comparison pic - pardon the harsh light, but I can only fit so much in my light box. As you can see, he's quite big, but most of my stuff is bigger than standard models. ;)

comp.jpg

For my old Decimator, I sculpted muscles and sinews to better blend the armour and mechanical joints together.

The head could also do with some conversion work to make it more Nurglite, a single protruding horns, or some gas mask elements?

Defiler is just spot on - I'm glad you filled in the crevasses on the legs and suitably distressed them as well.

Edited by Mister Feral

Late to the party. And what a party it is. Absolutely fantastic work. As I said in one of your earlier threads, you, good sir, are a real artist in my books. 

I'm wondering if you'd like to consider moving the left and right turbines of your daemon prince's jetpack closer to his body? Perhaps even the middle one too? I'm struggling to articulate myself, but I feel a degree of imbalance on the model's back and wonder if it'd help to build it more compact? Shorten the "arms" connecting to the turbines? - Just a thought though ... 

For my old Decimator, I sculpted muscles and sinews to better blend the armour and mechanical joints together.

The head could also do with some conversion work to make it more Nurglite, a single protruding horns, or some gas mask elements?

Defiler is just spot on - I'm glad you filled in the crevasses on the legs and suitably distressed them as well.

That could maybe work; I'll put the decimator on the back burner for a bit, though - it usually helps to come back to it. 

Thanks - yep, it seems to work out great. And yes, it does a lot in removing the "necroness" from them. 

Late to the party. And what a party it is. Absolutely fantastic work. As I said in one of your earlier threads, you, good sir, are a real artist in my books. 

I'm wondering if you'd like to consider moving the left and right turbines of your daemon prince's jetpack closer to his body? Perhaps even the middle one too? I'm struggling to articulate myself, but I feel a degree of imbalance on the model's back and wonder if it'd help to build it more compact? Shorten the "arms" connecting to the turbines? - Just a thought though ... 

Thanks a lot - really appreciate the kind words. :smile.:

I've messed a lot with the turbines, and I keep coming back to this configuration, so it must work for me - but thank you for the suggestion! :smile.:

I've written a bit of fluff - I enjoy fleshing out the characters in the army, and this first bit is the backstory of the Helbrute, Tugral the Unsane:

Tugral was once an apothecary of the 17th company of the legion. Upon the legion receiving Nurgles blessing, his healing skills were no longer needed, and he turned his attention towards the art of poison brewing and virus breeding. Plentiful were his inventions, and his skills were sought after by his lord, Pandemion, and allies alike. His most infamous concoction was the bonebreaker virus - a virus that affects the nervous system with blinding speed, and causes the victims muscles to spasm so violently that every bone in his body breaks over the course of a few minutes, leaving them as mewling, bonesless wrecks, ripe for harvesting by Nurgles diminutive followers. The Great Grandfather found great amusement in the “dance” of the victims, and rewarded his servant with many gifts and knowledge of ever more vile brews.

However paternal and caring the grandfather is, hubris makes him displeased. Pandemion had long carried a daemon weapon of great power, a plaguereaper scythe dipped in the pus from Nergals own bowels, and gifted to Pandemion. Tugral however, so caught up in his work and progress, was convinced that he could make the weapon even deadlier by concocting a new strain of virus and lacing the weapon with it, so he took the plaguereaper from Pandemions arming chamber without his masters knowledge, and started the process of scraping Nergals pus from the blade. This angered the grandfather greatly, that a mere mortal had the audacity to think he could make anything more virulent than the grandfather himself, so he decided to teach Tugral a lesson. As Tugral was working in the laboratory, Nurgle summoned a couple of Nurglings, that immediatly begun to wreak havoc in the laboratory, and by their masters bidding, they managed to knock over a vial of the Bonebreaker virus, much of it landing on Tugral. Tugral, like all of Nurgles followers, could laugh off any such malady, had it not been for the grandfather, at just the same moment, rectracting Tugrals unholy resilience. The effect was instantanious - Tugral tasted his own malady, and oh, how he suffered - he writhed and spasmed to the choir of every bone in his body breaking, and his screams echoed through the halls of the ship.

Pandemion, furious with his weapon missing, found the culprit on the floor of the laboratory hours later - little had he suspected that his trusted apothecary would be so foolish to both risk his lords and Nurgles wrath. What he found, however, bore little resemblance to Tugral - what he found on the floor was a babbling, boneless pile of meat, whimpering madly; “His gifts… They can be taken away… The Bonebreaker… All shall succumb to the Bonebreaker eventually…”

In the warp Nurgles laughter echoed, and he bade Pandemion not to take Tugrals life, since he enjoyed Tugrals suffering so. Pandemion ordered Tugrals body to be interred in a Helbrute sarcophagus, so he could make amends for his hubris, earning forgiveness on the battlefield.

What little of Tugrals sanity remained was soon ripped away from him, for he could no longer taste the poisons, feel the tingle of deadly strains or smell his victims bodily excretions - now all that is left of Tugral is a metal shell, carrying Tugrals rotting body, striding in the midst of the battlefield, screaming madly, again and again; “All shall suffer like me! All shall lay boneless!”, while tearing his enemies apart with fist and scourge.

helbrute6.jpg

Edited by GuitaRasmus

That daemon prince is seriously creative work, I can't wait to see him completed! Nice piece of fluff too for Tugral, I liked reading his rise and fall. Maybe you could put a "boneless" victim on the base? Looking forward to seeing more!

By god man, you were in an updating frenzy I see. 

I liked the Maulfiend. I liked the original Defiler... but I love what you've done by combining the two. I would love so much to emulate this, but I am aware my skills cannot come close to approaching yours. Very inspiring and it has officially surpassed the Helbrute as my favorite model you've constructed for your Death Guard.

The Daemon Prince has come together nicely. It's good to see the Hive Tyrant legs worked out so well, they definitely compliment the model.

I too share your pain with the Decimator. I have one lying around and while I love it's new rules (especially with the Soulburners), the model leaves much to be desired. I'm at a loss on how to get it to fit the army. Perhaps using parts of it with a Mhara Gal or a heavily converted Contemptor?

The helm on the decimator needs changing out for sure.

Looks very Viking to me... In fact, it would look awesome as a head for a SW contemptor.

I think the reason that it is throwing you off is that with Nurgle each engine is part machine and part organic, this is pure machine, so it is trying to find a way of working in some fleshy bits. Also the hard angular sections of the upper plate are quite jarring as everything is is more smooth and rounded.

Maybe rupture some cables and make them look like intestines, or like clerar tubing with yukky unguents flowing around them fuelling the decimator/ daemon. Round off the plates slightly and take a dremel to the  chaos symbol to flatten it down and make it look uneven, like a build up of rust- deposits or very slightly raised scar tissue. Use the dremel to "distress" the armour too. Maybe something oozing out from between the segmented armour plates on the upper body.

Be careful not to stray too far into Helbrute territory though.

Switch the chained mech cover on the power pack to a leering daemon head or even several nurgling heads to make it look like the metal is distorting and the daemons are trying to get out (re-overlay the chains to keep them in). 

What are you planning to put in the gap between torso and hips? Maybe something mech-y, but corroded and battered?

I had missed the defiler update, what a beast! Your daemon engines are the best man, and that defiler is almost big enough to be used as a Brass Scorpion of Khorne count-ass! And the Daemon Prince is also fantastic, the third arm looks completely right now that the second leg has been added, hadn't realised how HUGE he was!