+Die Trying+ - the Sable Spectres march to war

The recipe is as follows:

1) Black Undercoat

2) Zenithal drybrush of 1:1 Incubi Darkness and Abaddon Black. This should be drybrushed onto the raised areas where light would catch, leaving the black in the shaded/recessed regions.

3) Zenithal drybrush of Incubi Darkness. This should cover less area than the first drybrush, keeping to where the light is brighter.

4) Zenithal drybrush of 3:2 Incubi Darkness to Ushabti Bone. Same as above; this should cover even less area and should be where the light would be brightest.

5) Glaze of Drakenhof Nightshade to tie it all together.

6) Edge highlight of 2:1 Ushabti Bone to Incubi Darkness.

7) Apply chip damage using some foam dipped in Abaddon Black.

8) Highlight the battle damage with the same mix as the last zenithal drybrush, but add a little more bone into the mix so that the highlight 'pops' more.

9) Water down Typhus Corrosion and run it into the recesses of the model.

Hope that helped! Can't wait to see how you'll work these colours onto your Black Legionnaires :smile.:

Thanks a lot, I'll try that as soon as I'm done with my fallens !

Your librarian is even better than I expected...makes me think of the Blanchitsu and Pilgrim stuff. Have you had a look at the Garden of Hecate blog ?

Keep on the good stuff !

Your first marines were amazing, but the Librarian just blew my mind. That conversion and your color scheme are just perfect. I truly love this project. And I will try to emulate your recipe on one of my BL marines. I use almost the same colors ecept the Ushabti Bone (its Stegadon Scale in my case). Looking forward for more!

Work continues on the Librarian. I've painted his robes and added on some freehand work. Next up is the weathering of the cloth, his sword and falcon, the metallic areas and all the extra details on this wonderful model. Although it is a joy to paint, I must admit I struggled quite a lot with the robes: I'm not used to painting such huge, flat expanses of cloth! 

http://i.imgur.com/mZOdHTn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ssy3JKt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zdvO17r.jpg

The antlered Librarian looks good. Are the "antlers" a component of his psychic hood, perhaps meant to boost his resistance to Perils of the Warp?

I honestly didn't have any functional purpose for the antlers in mind, apart from looking unsettlingly cool - but that's an idea I might consider when thinking about the fluff for him ;)

Antlers and Raven are from?

Both are from the Araloth kit, but I believe the blister pack has since been renamed as a Nomad Prince or something alone those lines.

I see the green knight reference, but my first thought was the creepy stag from Hannibal. Either way, the effect is jaw dropping.

Thanks terminatorAM! I wasn't familiar with the stag from Hannibal, but after looking it up I'm quite pleased that it triggered that association for you; the intended effect of the antlers was always to evoke the creepiness of the deepwood! 

The recipe is as follows:

1) Black Undercoat
2) Zenithal drybrush of 1:1 Incubi Darkness and Abaddon Black. This should be drybrushed onto the raised areas where light would catch, leaving the black in the shaded/recessed regions.
3) Zenithal drybrush of Incubi Darkness. This should cover less area than the first drybrush, keeping to where the light is brighter.
4) Zenithal drybrush of 3:2 Incubi Darkness to Ushabti Bone. Same as above; this should cover even less area and should be where the light would be brightest.
5) Glaze of Drakenhof Nightshade to tie it all together.
6) Edge highlight of 2:1 Ushabti Bone to Incubi Darkness.
7) Apply chip damage using some foam dipped in Abaddon Black.
8) Highlight the battle damage with the same mix as the last zenithal drybrush, but add a little more bone into the mix so that the highlight 'pops' more.
9) Water down Typhus Corrosion and run it into the recesses of the model.

Hope that helped! Can't wait to see how you'll work these colours onto your Black Legionnaires :smile.:

Thanks a lot, I'll try that as soon as I'm done with my fallens !

Your librarian is even better than I expected...makes me think of the Blanchitsu and Pilgrim stuff. Have you had a look at the Garden of Hecate blog ?

Keep on the good stuff !

Cheers Gabocius :) I hadn't come across the Garden of Hecate before, but after your recommendation it has quickly joined the list of visionary blogs that I look to for inspiration! Blanchitsu and the Pilgrym stuff were definitely some of the project diaries that informed my approach to painting and modelling, although my converting and sculpting skills don't come anywhere close. I am quite hopeless with green stuff so I just consign myself to tweaking stock models with pose alterations and adding bits here and there!

Your first marines were amazing, but the Librarian just blew my mind. That conversion and your color scheme are just perfect. I truly love this project. And I will try to emulate your recipe on one of my BL marines. I use almost the same colors ecept the Ushabti Bone (its Stegadon Scale in my case). Looking forward for more!

Thanks very much Aasfresser! Looking forward to seeing how you interpret the colour scheme as well :)

The freehand on the Librarian is absolutely gorgeous! The whole model feel likes is just stepping out of the mists on the edge of a vast silent forest. What colour are you thinking of doing the sword? Metallics or some sort of psionic glow?

Very nice freehands, he feels definitely druid-esque (?? druidic ? how to build such word in english ?!) and menacing in the same time.

I don't know if it is the picture or if the miniature is build this way, but the undercloth makes me think of a stole...which is actually meaningfull if we think of the miniature as a druid or a priest rather than a regular librarian.

Although it is a joy to paint, I must admit I struggled quite a lot with the robes: I'm not used to painting such huge, flat expanses of cloth! 

I happen to have painted such big piece of cloth some weeks ago and I found an efficient and good looking solution in adding some texture in the highlights. That may be a bit late as you already painted the free hand but anyway, you may find this example useful :

You only need, in addition to the usual highlight, to paint some thin lines perpendicularly to the main highlight, so that the fabric will be brought up a bit more. This way, even looking close to the model, there is a pattern that breaks the flatness of the cloth. In addition, I found that a wash of mixed nuln oil and trakha green in the recesses brought a nice touch to the shadows.http://i.imgur.com/dw2lUhl.jpg

Edited by Gabocius

BERTILAK DE HAUTDESERT

CALLED "OMEN", GULEDIC AND BATTLE-PSYKER OF THE SABLE SPECTRES CHAPTER

http://i.imgur.com/JmkaoPt.jpg

"Ande al grayþed in grene þis gome and his wedes...

(All garbed in green was this man and his garments...)"

From "The Lay of Gawain and the Green Knight", a traditional Wirral legend

Bertilak de Hautdesert, known otherwise as "Omen", functions as an Epistolary-equivalent of the chapter's Librarius. There is no direct translation for such a rank amongst the Sable Spectres - the closest term is 'Guledic', an umbrella title in the battle-cant of the Chapter referring to a high chief or warlord. This linguistic failure is perhaps reflective of the Chapter's attitudes and expectations of warfare. Whether a Primaris Astartes may belong to the Librarius, the Chaplaincy, or the rank-and-file, he is first and foremost a leader, and must guide his men in such a capacity. 

That being said, there will forever be an undeniable rift between the Chapter's Librarius and those untouched by the gift (or curse) of the psyker. The Battle-Psykers of the Sable Spectres follow in the tradition of Wirral's druids - wandering, reclusive hermits, bonded to no House or chieftain. Druids rarely settle within the Keep of a lord for long, and even when they do, they remain an order set apart from mortal men. They are the lorekeepers of Wirral's atavistic beliefs, and give up their individuality to become vessels of the spirit of the forest.

http://i.imgur.com/za6BITa.jpg

It is for this reason that the Chapter's Battle-Psykers bear colours and heraldry quite distinct from that of their peers. Tellingly, the lambda of the Spectres and their red heraldry does not feature anywhere on the armour of the Omen. On his left pauldron, he bears a cult-mark of the druids, the unbroken knot - symbol of perpetuity, the eternal return, and the threads of life and death which connect all things. The Mk X plate of the Omen is coloured forest-green rather than ghost black; adorning his robes are the dead silhouettes of cold, reaching branches.

All of these elements are indicative of the role fulfilled by the Battle-Psyker. To join the Librarius is to forsake the bonds of brotherhood between warriors and to become the walking avatar of the forest - the burning heart of Wirral, the Emperor's wrath made manifest as piercing thorn, relentless winter, and suffocating darkness. The Primaris Astartes of the Sable Spectres will follow their Battle-Psykers unto hell and high water, but more as an icon than as a brother. 

http://i.imgur.com/3gEVcEz.jpg

"In his on honde he hade a fyrenne swerdys,

A spetos sparþe to expoun in spelle, quoso myȝt.

(In one hand he bore a flaming sword,

a weapon so merciless as to defy description.)"

The Omen's accoutrements of war - in his right hand is the iconic weapon of the Librarius, the Force Sword, blazing with psionic fury. From his left wrist springs his falcon familiar, acting his eyes on the battlefield.

http://i.imgur.com/4WmueUV.jpg

On the rare occasions when the Omen is not leading a Spear of Sable Spectres, he fulfils the ancillary function of the Chapter's Librarius - returning to Wirral and carefully identifying prospective recruits from its inhabitants. This often takes the form of a game or quest given to the aspirant as a test of valour, loyalty, skill and character. These trials have perpetuated many a myth on Wirral of "half-Etayn" (half-giant) faerie who accost knights in their halls or along roads, such as The Lay of Gawain and the Green Knight. Many of these legends end fancifully, with the triumphant knight given magical arms and armour to further the cause of just war.

There is a kernel of truth to these tales. Once tested, the said warrior is whisked away to await his transfiguration into a Primaris Astartes of the Sable Spectres. Reality, however, proves far harsher than myth, and the fairytales of Wirral fail to mention the hundreds of mortals that fail for every one man who survives his apotheosis - spliced open and left to die on the cold metal floor of an Apothecary chamber, or floating horribly disfigured in a stasis tank. 

The Omen's real name, though hardly ever used by now, proves somewhat prophetic for those few who do become Primaris Astartes. "Bertilak de Hautdesert" translates from the fricative dialects of Wirral to "the splendid gift of the exalted high place", or "the splendid gift of the exalted desert." Both translations are perhaps fitting. To be chosen by the Omen is to receive the most sacred gift - to be made into a god within the barren chambers of a battle barge high in orbit, armed with the Imperium's most desperate weapons to wage the most desperate of wars.

http://i.imgur.com/FqkaljE.jpg

"And þe knyȝt in þe enker-grene

Whiderwarde-so-euer he wolde...

(And the knight, all in emerald green

Went wherever he would...)"

++++///META: HQ Models and Colour Schemes///+++

The Omen is finally done, and boy, am I pleased that that's over. HQ Models are always a ton of fun to conceptualize and start on, because you have the chance to really go to town with the details on a centerpiece model. Actually trying to pull it off during the execution, though, can sometimes be a different story!

I wanted the Omen to look very visually different from a regular Sable Spectre, so as not to cohere with the other models in the army. I envisioned the Omen as a sort of druid or shaman who, as a locus for the energies of the Warp, would never experience the same kind of companionship and brotherhood that the other (barely, but still just) human warriors share. This meant selecting a colour scheme that contrasted with the main tones of the army,but only just, so I picked colours that retained a bit more warmth than the previous Intercessors. On the Omen we have the brownish tint of his robes, the falcon, and his antlers, as well as the angry burning yellows of his Force Sword.

I'm not entirely sure this succeeded, in all honesty. I worry that the colours are a bit too vibrant for my liking, and on hindsight I might have painted the falcon as a raven and left his robes black just to make the spot colours (such as the ones on the sword) "pop" that much more. Also, the weathering on the robes feels slightly out of place. This was a bit of a d'oh moment for me, as I used thick browns to replicate dirt before remembering that I base my models with a darker, more grey-black mud effect.

Still though, I'm more or less happy with how this model turned out, as it's been a two-week long labour of love. Working on just one miniature for this long leaves one with a bit of model fatigue, so I might take a break and revisit it with fresh eyes some other day. Either way, I hope you enjoy both the photos and the fluff :smile.:

The freehand on the Librarian is absolutely gorgeous! The whole model feel likes is just stepping out of the mists on the edge of a vast silent forest. What colour are you thinking of doing the sword? Metallics or some sort of psionic glow?

Thank you Kordhal! I suppose the question has been answered now :wink: Metallics were an option but I felt like a Force Sword was just screaming for something more elemental, seeing as how it is essentially a honed channel for the Psyker's energy.

Very nice freehands, he feels definitely druid-esque (?? druidic ? how to build such word in english ?!) and menacing in the same time.

I don't know if it is the picture or if the miniature is build this way, but the undercloth makes me think of a stole...which is actually meaningfull if we think of the miniature as a druid or a priest rather than a regular librarian.

Although it is a joy to paint, I must admit I struggled quite a lot with the robes: I'm not used to painting such huge, flat expanses of cloth! 

I happen to have painted such big piece of cloth some weeks ago and I found an efficient and good looking solution in adding some texture in the highlights. That may be a bit late as you already painted the free hand but anyway, you may find this example useful :

You only need, in addition to the usual highlight, to paint some thin lines perpendicularly to the main highlight, so that the fabric will be brought up a bit more. This way, even looking close to the model, there is a pattern that breaks the flatness of the cloth. In addition, I found that a wash of mixed nuln oil and trakha green in the recesses brought a nice touch to the shadows.http://i.imgur.com/dw2lUhl.jpg

Spot-on, Gabocius! The priestly or druidic look was exactly what I was trying to go for when I first came up with the concept for the Omen. I think this was definitely influenced by the model itself too; as you mentioned, the robes really give it that monastic feel as opposed to the other Librarians that GW has produced. Also, thank you for the painting tips! I'll definitely try that on the next model with cloth that I paint. I think this was particularly difficult because there were more flat areas than folds, but you're right, adding a wash into the recesses certainly helps with the richness of the colour (I used Druchii Violet for mine).

Excellent work on the Librarian's cloak.

Cheers Bjorn!

Edited by Prospekt

I'm heavily impressed. The atmosphere of this mini is really awesome, only rivalled by your painting skills. This is one of the best plog I've seen in a long time.

Keep going for the pleasure of our eyes !

Thanks everyone! Much thought and effort was put into bringing the Omen from idea to actual model, so to see such a reception is incredibly rewarding :)

On a short break for the Sable Spectres, I was toying around with a paint recipe for heavily weathered black iron, so I put together a Mk III test model and spent an hour or so on it. Here are the rough results:

http://i.imgur.com/gaFV537.jpg

This was also an exercise in developing an efficient, easy process which created eye-catching and decent quality paint jobs, so I'm fairly pleased with the result. Now the real question is: given how quick this mini was painted in comparison to each Sable Spectres model, I'm seriously considering starting a parallel force of loyalist Primaris Iron Warriors, based on the hints of fluff that Belisarius Cawl created entire chapters of Primaris Astartes from the gene seed of traitor Primarchs. 

The Spectres will definitely see continued, ongoing work, but I can take my time with each individual model and create a small recon patrol or kill team. The Iron Warriors, however, could probably be painted at a much faster rate, giving me the opportunity to muster a larger force for bigger games! I wanted to use this test model to gauge people's interest in seeing a force painted up this way, so let me know your thoughts on the concept :)

All your stuff is fantastic but blow away by Omen's force sword.  Never liked how the squiggle sculpt down the blade looked on any I've seen before, but it just works so much better with your scheme.  And as others have noted, weathering on all is outstanding.

As usual the fluff and paint work for the finished librarian are absolutely impeccable! I love the weathering you have managed to achieve and how subtle and subdued every element of the paint scheme is, which combines into an fantastic whole. 

Regarding the Iron Warriors successors, the scheme looks particularly brutal and suiting for a son of Petarubo, my one question is if they are loyalist primaris it would be a bit on the nose and arouse suspicion if they were in Iron Warriors scheme plus the old legion symbol. So are you going to have  a subtly different Chapter symbol to go with them?

Edited by Kordhal

The Omen's a stunner – another excellent example of your understated, atmospheric style. The trisklelion symbol ties in very nicely with the paint scheme and conversion work to sell the character. Great stuff – and those antlers are inspired!

Regarding the Iron Warrior successor, he's looking lovely; though I can't help but wonder why not just run with a group of traitor Iron Warriors – perhaps as an opposing force for the Sable Spectres? It's clear you've got the chops for conversion work, but even if you wanted to run with a kitbash (swapping the heads/backpacks), or pure Primaris models, they'd look great.

Edited by Apologist

The idea of Primaris using Traitor gene seed is a slippery slope, even with the fluff hints. Very easy to come off ham-handed if they're a completely known quantity using their parent-legion's colours, etc IMHO.

Fantastic paint job though :)