Black Templars & the Dark Imperium

Kelborn

Hail brothers!

I've decided to create a holy crusade of our sacred brotherhood by myself. As I'm not plaing or collecting the minis, this will only consist of fluff, sorry.

Its task will be to investigate the so called Dominion of Storms. Because of the Great Rift and its repercussions, Terra did lost contact to several well habituated regions deep within the Dominion, including three entire Space Marine chapters and additional forces.

Acknowledging their determination and them being a crusade incarnate, did Roboute Guiliman request the help of Highmarshal Helbrecht and his Black Templars. Soon after did Helbrecht announce the Tempestus Crusade, which will be heading towards the Dominion. Its task:

- find out of what happened to the loyal forces

- reconquer lost territory

- find stable connecting routes to the Imperium Nihilus

Further did Lord Guiliman attached several supporting elements to this potentially crucial crusade:

- a contigent of Primaris Marines, descending from his brother Dorn

- several Imperial Guard & Tempestus Scions regiments

- other potential allies like the Mechanicum, Sisters of Battle, Knights (not sure of what I'll make use of, as for now)

So basically I'm intending to create a Liber Astartes article. Why am I posting in here, you might ask?

Easy. I want to be sure of a couple of details regarding recent events and releases. And where to get better answers than here? ^^

Here are my questions:

• As far as I know did the Adeptus Custodes join Guiliman during the Indomitus Crusade. Are they still spread across the Imperium or would they accompany such a crusade like mine?
  • What kind of "new" stuff did we get with the 8th edition codex? Any clues about their relation towards Primaris?
  • I got some assumptions regarding Primaris: They will most likely have Librarians, right? That might lead to some heavy tensions between the Primaris and their Astartes brothers. The BTs deny the witch. Those Primaris can only descend from the 30K Imperial Fists Legion. That would mean that they are the sons of Dorn but not of Sigismund, leading to the assumption that they might not be as zealous as their 40K BT brothers. Furthermore, the usage of Libarians was allowed / ordered by Guiliman, ignoring the Edict of Nikaea. The BTs only adhere to the Emperor's edicts. Therefore, they might not accept RGs decree and continue to refuse to make use of the Librarians.
  • How do the Black Templars fight these days? Still like the old days? Or did they changed / adapt to recent releases like Centurions? Do they make use of Devastors and the likes? Or is it open for everyone?

What do you think?

If this was already discussed previously, I'm sorry. Would be lovely if someone could give me an appropiate link.

Thanks in advance! :)

Kelborn

• I got some assumptions regarding Primaris: They will most likely have Librarians, right? That might lead to some heavy tensions between the Primaris and their Astartes brothers. The BTs deny the witch. Those Primaris can only descend from the 30K Imperial Fists Legion. That would mean that they are the sons of Dorn but not of Sigismund, leading to the assumption that they might not be as zealous as their 40K BT brothers. Furthermore, the usage of Libarians was allowed / ordered by Guiliman, ignoring the Edict of Nikaea. The BTs only adhere to the Emperor's edicts. Therefore, they might not accept RGs decree and continue to refuse to make use of the Librarians.

Well, if you look at our fluff since 6th...

http://i.imgur.com/MyzN6Pl.jpg

Edited by Firepower

Yeah...I was shocked by 6th edition as well...I just ignore that part. Is this still a thing in 8th edition? Here was hope that they would reconsider this. :/

Everyone knows or 6th and 7th edition fluff is just hearsay for the masses. We Templars know who we are.

Adeptus Custodes: not sure on what their tasks or objectives are in the Dark Imperium, but I imagine you could lure them to fight with you with some scented body oils for their quivering abs.

Edited by Ebon Hand

• As far as I know did the Adeptus Custodes join Guiliman during the Indomitus Crusade. Are they still spread across the Imperium or would they accompany such a crusade like mine?
  • What kind of "new" stuff did we get with the 8th edition codex? Any clues about their relation towards Primaris?
  • How do the Black Templars fight these days? Still like the old days? Or did they changed / adapt to recent releases like Centurions? Do they make use of Devastors and the likes? Or is it open for everyone?

1. They are still spread around the Imperium, yes some may join your crusade.

2. Helbrecht had a meeting with Guilliman, he accepted the primaris, but didn't take orders from Guilliman.

3. Technically, yes, but as far as rules go you still can't have a psyker with the Black Templar chapter trait, so no psyker for us, primaris or otherwise.

4. Technically, again, we have access to all the same units as codex chapters (including whirlwinds, devastators, scout units, etc) as well as our special units. Whether we use such units is up to each individual Marshal. There was a regain in popularity of devastators among black templars during 7th edition when the skyhammer formation was released, because it allowed to drop pod devastators at very close quarters, which seemed to fit the drop pod assault strategy of BTs. 

Actually after thinking about it, I vaguely remember hearing that the Custodes were tasked with protecting Primaris geneseed as it's passed on to other chapters. I'm not sure if it's official, but it would make sense considering its what they are best at and Primaris geneseed is important for obvious reasons.

Great input, brothers! Thank you for that.

I do like the idea of adding one Primaris psyker just for the possible conflicts, etc.

In the end, he would sacrifice himself, redeeming himself in the eyes of my marshal: "He was a witch at all but at least he was honorable."

Either Greyfax which is a witch hunting witch who hates witches, or kindling... at least my opinion...

Apparently even to the Primaris, the disposition of Templars towards psykers is greatly known... and since Primaris are just joining in, I'd doubt that they'd send a Librarian Primaris on purpose... that would literally offend the Chapter members itself and will not just cause tension but actual hostility towards the Primaris... think of Grimaldus and the Salamanders Sergeant on Helsreach... it won't be shooting each other hostile, but I'm sure threats will definitely be made unless the Librarian departs...

If I may suggest, you can have the Primaris support as Imperial Fist, according to the Codex, the Indomitus Crusade was mainly led by the Fists (surprisingly enough) with Primaris being the bulk of their forces, you can have an Imperial Fist support of Primaris with your ongoing Crusade... and they are led by a Primaris Librarian... the Librarian needs to prove to the Marshal that Primaris are Dorn's sons too, while keeping hostilities towards him at a mnimum, while the Templars need to control their temper since the Librarian isn't a Templar, but bears the colors of their founding Legion...

It would be more tense then, but they wouldn't be absolutely toxic to each other since there is a definite line that they could not cross...

This way, I'm able to ignore "certain" parts of fluff.

We own our identify.

There may be attempts by insidious forces aligned against the Emperor, to change who we are. We will always remain true to the Emperor and his vision.

We are his Eternal Crusade. Period.

WE ARE THE ONLY CHAPTER HE STILL COMMUNICATES DIRECTLY WITH. OUR CHAMPIONS ARE NOT "JUST" CHAMPIONS, THEY ARE THE EMPEROR'S CHAMPIONS, TOUCHED DIRECTLY BY THE EMPEROR.

IF HIS WILL SHOULD EVER CHANGE, WE WILL BE THE FIRST TO KNOW. NO ONE ELSE WILL TELL US, HE WILL.

UNTIL THEN, OUR CRUSADES ARE UNCEASING, OUR FURY UNRELENTING, AND OUR ATTITUDE UNREPENTANT.

WE DO NOT HAVE TO EXPLAIN WHO WE ARE TO ANYONE, NOR JUSTIFY WHY HE MADE US THIS WAY.

HE MADE US FOR A SPECIFIC PURPOSE, TO PURIFY HIS GALAXY. WE ARE HIS LIGHT. IT IS OUR CHARGE TO BANISH THE SHADOWS.

NO ONE WILL CHANGE THAT.

In the end, he would sacrifice himself, redeeming himself in the eyes of my marshal: "He was a witch at all but at least he was honorable."

IT IS MORE LIKELY THAT WE WOULD SAY, "HE BURNED BRIGHTLY".

Also, if you're really keen to "ignore" the current fluff, just posit that your crusade is in the imeprium nihilus and hasn't returned to the Etrernal Crusader in the past 300 years, problem solved.

edit : on a  side note, we're the only chapter on the codex max showed in 3 different locations.

Edited by Ciler

Keep in mind that money makes GW turn and shows them what's popular. Purchasing a BT upgrade sprue tells them that the Templars are still viable and to keep producing them. Primaris don't have a BT sprue, so every time somebody buys a Primaris box to paint as Templars, that is a solid loss of sale on a BT sprue and ultimately hurts the army in the end.

Just remember kids, every time you buy Primaris a Neophyte dies.

Either Greyfax which is a witch hunting witch who hates witches, or kindling... at least my opinion...

Apparently even to the Primaris, the disposition of Templars towards psykers is greatly known... and since Primaris are just joining in, I'd doubt that they'd send a Librarian Primaris on purpose... that would literally offend the Chapter members itself and will not just cause tension but actual hostility towards the Primaris... think of Grimaldus and the Salamanders Sergeant on Helsreach... it won't be shooting each other hostile, but I'm sure threats will definitely be made unless the Librarian departs...

If I may suggest, you can have the Primaris support as Imperial Fist, according to the Codex, the Indomitus Crusade was mainly led by the Fists (surprisingly enough) with Primaris being the bulk of their forces, you can have an Imperial Fist support of Primaris with your ongoing Crusade... and they are led by a Primaris Librarian... the Librarian needs to prove to the Marshal that Primaris are Dorn's sons too, while keeping hostilities towards him at a mnimum, while the Templars need to control their temper since the Librarian isn't a Templar, but bears the colors of their founding Legion...

It would be more tense then, but they wouldn't be absolutely toxic to each other since there is a definite line that they could not cross...

That's actually a pretty decent idea! :tu:

In the end, the surviving Primaris adapt to the BTs ideology (after their Librarian being dead), which will be the first step of them becoming true / new Black Templars of Sigismund.

Surprisingly I'm able to get my hands on a 8th edition SM codex by borrowing it for a couple of days. At first sight, it looks really good regarding artwork, formatting, etc.

Hoepfully it will give me some additional inspirations for both, my Tempestus Crusade and my Dominion of Storms project by getting a better feeling with this new era.

Keep in mind that money makes GW turn and shows them what's popular. Purchasing a BT upgrade sprue tells them that the Templars are still viable and to keep producing them. Primaris don't have a BT sprue, so every time somebody buys a Primaris box to paint as Templars, that is a solid loss of sale on a BT sprue and ultimately hurts the army in the end.

Just remember kids, every time you buy Primaris a Neophyte dies.

Voting with the wallet won't stop them releasing "meh-"fluff (to put it politely). Sitting here and lamentig about how bad the new fluff is and how everything was better in [...]th ed won't change anything either.

I think we should actively voice our concerns via their feedback channels. At least we get heard this way and they might remember the next time they wan't to creat some new fluff about the templars. It might even be a good thing to act with one voice and to deliver some collective feedback in the name of the B&C Black Templars.

• 3 weeks later...

Brothers,

it has been a while. I'm still intending to make this idea happen. Thankfully, the Liber subforum did start a thought experiment which might help a lot while thinking about the Black Templars and Primaris marines. While considering the possible reactions and consequences of those two forces becoming one, I wrote down some stuff, which I would like to share with you.

The Tempestus Crusade

“Brothers, I am glad and proud to see you all again aboard the Eternal Crusader.”

High Marshal Helbrecht arose from his throne in the middle of his sanctuary, a vast hall, decorated and ornamented with countless battle honors and symbols of his chapter’s past. Cherubims flew high above him, orchestrating chorals. Their innocent faces rejoicing in their eternal duty. Right before him stood the highest-ranking members of the Black Templars, marshals, sword brothers, all of them champions of the Emperor thoroughly. He had summoned them in order to reassemble the chapter after the successful conclusion of the so-called Indomitus Crusade, led by none other than the returned Primarch, RobouteGuiliman himself. It was glorious being part of this venture. It felt like he had imagined the Great Crusade. It felt right.

Helbrecht approached his gathered elite. Grim faces of proud warriors, clad in the holy colors of their patron and ancestor, burning with the desire to fulfill their ancient oath of conquering the galaxy for man, stood next to him. He knew them well as he had fought at their side on more occasions than he could remember. He rested a hand on the shoulder of a close by brother.

“As you all know, the Indomitus Crusade has ended. However, our task remains. Countless worlds are still separated, calling for out for help. We will set sails and push forward. The galaxy is our birthright. For the Emperor!”

“FOR THE EMPEROR!”

Castellan Dargon joined his brother’s call. Young for a man of his rank, he had risen to the ranks of the sword brothers just a few years ago, serving under the Black Templars’ cross for about 40 years.

“Marshal Althar?”

“Yes, my lord.”

Dargon’s mentor, Marshal Althar stepped forward and kneeled before Helbrecht. His black armor still carried the scars and detriments of their last battle on the cursed wastes of Ultrevis against the foul legions of the dead.

“What is your bidding?”

“The Lord Commander asked for our support in another expedition into the dark realms of the Imperium Nihilus. I ask you of joining this crusade and recovering the region known as the Dominion of Storms.”

“I vow by my honor and by the holy Emperor on Terra, it will be done.”

“So be it. Rise, brother Althar. We will meet later on to controvert your new crusade. Others will join its cause and we have much to discuss. In the Emperor’s name. Praise be!”

“Praise be!”

Althar rose again and joined the ranks of his brothers.

“A new crusade? We just returned from the last one.” Dargon whispered.

He was known for his loose tongue but Althar, making him one of his closest advisors, welcomed this feature.

“Indeed. But it is what makes us, eternally crusading in the name of Terra. Besides, I have heard rumors of the Greyshields joining several chapters or founding separate ones. Some might even join our ranks. Further, there are other chapters, who desire to reclaim their lost homes deep within the Dominion like the Imperial Sons. Half of their chapter as well as their entire home sector is still lost due to the Great Rift. They would make formidable allies, as they are known to be as forward thinking as we are. As long as we are not joined by those, who would slow us down, I will welcome every new battle-brother.”

“You are referring to the empire-builders and the sons of Nocturne, aye?”

“Indeed. They would hinder us in fulfilling our mission. Let the Imperial Guard and the Administratum rebuild worlds. We were born for war and not for rebuilding. Now, be quiet. There will be enough time to discuss this further.”

A couple of days later did Dargon stand right next to Althar and the other castellans, acting as an honor guard for their master, of the newly declared Tempestus Crusade aboard their flagship, the Blade of Terra. Each and everyone bore the new signet of the Crusade, a red shield halved by a black sword and white crossed lightning. They were waiting for the delegation of their future allies, who would accompany them during the coming crusade. The massive doors, each depicting the last hours of the siege of Terra and the downfall of the traitorous scum before their ancestor Sigismund, opened. A group of representatives entered the hall. Proxies of all imperial institutions like the Astra Militarum as well as the Adetus Mechanicus were present. But the Black Templars attentions were caught by the four giants, which lead the lot. Each of them was taller than an average Space Marine, dwarfing their fellows like a man would dwarf a child.

One of them wore a massively ornamented grey Terminator armor and carried a mighty hammer, which rested on his shoulder. His knightly helmet was focused on Althar and his men. Its owner had no need to look around; he already scanned the room with his cursed abilities. He belonged to the only group of psykers the Black Templars accepted as battle-brothers: the Grey Knights of Titan.

Right next to him strode a being of phenomenal potency. Clad in an ancient, golden armor which surpassed even that of the Grey Knight right next to him, his former task was to guard the ancient halls on the throne world itself. Now, with Lord Commander Guiliman in charge of the imperial forces, forces of the holy Adeptus Custodes had joined his efforts.

“A Custodes? Here? What does that mean?” asked castellan Dolvrid.

“It means that our mission is of importance for the Lord Commander. The Dominion is known to be a realm of resources and potency. It could become a nearly invulnerable bulwark within the Imperium Nihilus. Thus, its reclamation is nothing to trifle with. “answered marshal Althar.

The last two of the approaching Astartes were members of the newly introduced Primaris. Though they looked similar in their new Mark X armor, they had customized their appearance and differ from another like day and night.

One of them wore the same livery as the Dargon and his brothers. The black cross was shown off on his polished armor right next to the iconography of the Indomitus Crusade, a batch, which was worn proudly by all participants as it heralded the beginning of a new age. His helmet was attached to his belt, revealing a young but eager face, which did not disguised its owners astonishment.

The last member of the four was still clad in the grey painted armor of the grey shields. Most likely one of those Primaris, which were tasked to either found a new chapter or those unlucky ones, which haven’t had the time to reunify with their brothers. Still, this Primaris showed off more individualism than Dargon had ever seen by one of this kind. A heavy cloak of what seemed to be scales hung over his left shoulder. Bones and other small tokens were attached to the Primaris’ belt. Beginning from his right glove, subtle engravings decorated his right arm, which spoke of a masterful artisan.

The group halted right before marshal Althar, who welcomed them aboard the Blade of Terra. Etiquette dictated that each and everyone had to introduce themselves. When Althar introduced his castellans, he was interrupted by the grey clad Primaris.

“I once knew a Neophyte with the name of Dargon. We fought against the cursed greenskins on one of your recruiting worlds, Eftonia Primus. Tell me, are you the same one? If so, I congratulate you. A remarkable career, achieving the rank of a lieutenant within 40 years.”

Dargon stepped forward.

“Indeed, I am Dargon from Eftonia and I remember your kind helping us in our direst hour but I can’t recognize you. Tell me your name and from which Primarch you are descending from, brother. I would like to know our saviors.”

“Of course. I am Val’kar, commander of the 26th Primaris regiment, informally known as the Ebonspears.”

His hands reached for his helmet, unlocking its seals. He pulled off his helmet. A tattooed bald head, coal black skin, a short trimmed black beard and red burning eyes were revealed.

“We are the heirs of Nocturne and the true sons of Vulkan.”

Furthermore, I require your assistance. Usually I'm listening to inspiring and fitting music while writing stuff. In order to stick with this tradition, I'm currently searching for some bands / musiy styles which fit the Black Templars theme. As for now, I've found the following:

- Trivium

- Dream Evil

- Powerwolf (found a tribute video on youtube including their song "In the name of god")

- Van Canto (an accapelly metal band, which has some good and fitting songs (at least in terms of knights, fantasy, etc.))

What are you listening to while working on your armies or fighting in the name of He, who suffers for man.

Another thing, I wanted to mention is that I'm kind of satisfied with the recently released SM codex' fluff. I'm digging the fact that they gave us some more battles within the new setting and gave us an exemplary crusade including Primaris squads. So far, so good for now. Still, they kept the 6th edition "If HE decides that we should have psykers, then we will do so." stuff. But hey, You cannot have everything, aye? ^^

Edited by Kelborn