New Eisenhorn

Never_born

You can't prove it or even offer any really evidence so it's just speculation and slander.

Exactly - it is a speculation based on logic and previous experience.

With half of the BaC - it is always proof and evidence. I'm to old for that :cuss. You don't owe me anything. I do not owe you anything. I do not feel the need to spend my time tp prove something to someone.

Than 'Magos' would be released - I will PUT PAGE COUNT, and percentage of the 'new stuff' in it on the first day of release.

Then and only then - we will have something to prove

Heritor, if you don't want to spend time backing up your points maybe don't represent them as absolute fact? It's intellectually lazy to make wild claims and when confronted with a lack of proof say 'I don't have to prove anything'. All that does is make people more likely to dismiss what you say as irrelevant.

Also I think you missed the point of my last comment. I was saying that though GW may not be an entirely open company in terms of their long term planning and decision-making their financial data has to be factually accurate. That goes for most every company registered in the US, the EU and everywhere else a free-market system exists. Certainly some companies violate this rule, and truly massive multi-national corporations wield the influence to do what they want, but GW is probably not the former and certainly not the latter. They lack both the motivation and ability to be financially dishonest.

Heritor you are just doing a disservice to yourself. I don't why you expect anyone to believe you.

So it is only with my claims that you want a verification? How about DC - let him browse his booktable?

I don't why you expect anyone to believe you.

By default I do not believe anything. Even if it is said by fan favourite of BaC A D-B.

All lie. Or they do think they are telling the truth - until the real pitchers (selling and planning team) tell them how it will all work and what to write.

I do not believe that BL authors right stuff by their own chosing - cause it doesn't work with the 'advertisement' plans from GW. For example I definitely sure that Sanders didn'y want to write ad-mec advertisement books. But they were needed for Ad-mec shiny models release.

cheywood

Also I think you missed the point of my last comment. I was saying that though GW may not be an entirely open company in terms of their long term planning and decision-making their financial data has to be factually accurate. That goes for most every company registered in the US, the EU and everywhere else a free-market system exists. Certainly some companies violate this rule, and truly massive multi-national corporations wield the influence to do what they want, but GW is probably not the former and certainly not the latter. They lack both the motivation and ability to be financially dishonest.

Ah, yes. Yeap - missed the point. I think you are correct (partly).

By default I do not believe anything. Even if it is said by fan favourite of BaC A D-B.

All lie. Or they do think they are telling the truth - until the real pitchers (selling and planning team) tell them how it will all work and what to write.

I do not believe that BL authors right stuff by their own chosing - cause it doesn't work with the 'advertisement' plans from GW. For example I definitely sure that Sanders didn'y want to write ad-mec advertisement books. But they were needed for Ad-mec shiny models release.

But you have the information. I, and others, have given it to you on this forum and other places, many times. There was, briefly, a time when BL got folded into Publications and tied in with mini releases. Something literally every author acknowledged, just as they acknowledged they were happy when that very brief period ended. It lasted all of a year and a half, at most, and has been over for about that long again.

No one has ever told me what to write. The closest they ever came was when I was asked if I wanted to write about Helsreach in a SMB book (I said "Oh, hell yes, I love the Black Templars" when I could just as easily have said "Nope, thanks") and when I said "I want to write about Ragnar" and one of the editors said, "We have this series about Space Marine characters, do you want to do one of them?" - I said "Sure, that works."

That's 2 out of 13 novels, where they asked and I could've easily refused.

Other than that, not once, ever, have I been asked or told to write anything. Why would I lie? Why does there need to be some weird conspiracy? Why cant you just accept the boring reality? Occam's Razor and all that.

You keep jokingly asking why I and other authors don't like you, or avoid you, or whatever else. Man, I'm not sure you realise how consistently horrible you sound, and how annoying it is to be called a liar when there's nothing to lie about, and how you come across like you're always trying to reveal some secret truth only you have the integrity and insight to uncover. At first - years ago - I thought it might be a language barrier, but you're everywhere, and so vocal, and so consistent with this toxic attitude.

Dude, just... be nicer. I don't know what else to say. Stop trying to catch people out or assuming they're lying. You don't have to insist you know everything about every aspect of GW and BL. It's okay to trust people, sometimes.

Apologies @WarriorFish if this is still not back on topic but:

Having gone through the books I own that include the shorts, the page lengths are as follows:
Backcloth for a Crown Additional 25 pages (LE edition, standard HH hardback size)
Missing in Action 23 pages (LE edition standard HH hardback size)
Master Imus's Transgression 15 pages (LE edition standard HH hardback size)
Thorn Wishes Talon 18 pages (Ravenor omnibus, larger than paperback smaller than HH hardback)

Using those lengths and comparing them to the versions I of them I own on Kindle, I've gestimated that the ones I don't own in print would be the following lengths:
Regia Occulta c.14 pages
Born To Us c.5-6 pages
The Keeler Image c.10 pages

That's around 110 pages.  Most of Abnett's works for his Inquisitors are around the 300 page mark in paperback.  Therefore I can't see a reason why Magos won't be a full novel as a 400 page book is relatively common production for BL.

From the LE editions I've noticed that they've all be published first in Inferno! way back when.  Does anyone know of a record of what stories were published in Inferno!?  All I can find is a list of covers.  Do we know if there are other stories published which have yet to make it to e-book and the BL website?

@RFD I would say that was pretty much back on topic!

I only have Eisenhorn as the omnibus so not sure of the original paperback page counts but the Ravenor books were all released as MMPB with 416 pages. I think Trade Paperbacks being slightly larger have short page counts right?

I think in the past authors have said we should focus on word count rather than page count due to difficulty of comparing different formats to gauge the length of a novel.

The Weekender schedule has a seminar with Dan Abnett on "the new Eisenhorn anthology" so it shouldn't be long before we know how much new material will be in the "full length novel"

R_F_D,

Everything you say makes sense. Alternately, however, Magos could be roughly 110 pages of previously published short stories and about the same amount in bridging material. Abnett’s novels for the Heresy have been between 400-504 pages in the iBooks format. Using the same font size, though, I Am Slaughter - a novel written by Abnett under similarly challenged timelines - came in at just 220 pages.

I don’t what to restart the old debate about what constitutes a novel, or whether or not a shorter novel is not as good as a long one. My issue, and this ties in to my fears for Magos, is that Garro: Weapon of Fate was 504 pages, but 278 of those came from “Oath of Moment,” “Legion of One,” and “Vow of Faith” alone. Where “Sword of Truth” and “Shield of Lies” are concerned, consider that “Oath of Moment,” which clocked in at 70-ish minutes, translated to 48 pages when released in print. Assuming a similar ratio for those two audio dramas, that’s another 180 or so pages. Add to those “Burden of Duty” and “Ashes of Fealty,” and we’re probably looking at all but 30 or so pages of Garro: Weapon of Fate coming from previously published stories.

I want to be wrong, but given the increasing emphasis on collections, reproductions, and so on, I can’t shake the feeling that, at best, we’re going to get a novella that serves as a bridge for the various Eisenhorn short stories that have already been released.

Any time page count is applied to novel size, it's wrong. Dead wrong. Page count is the vaguest, least reliable measure of novel length. Word count is everything.

I'll be blunt, gang. Magos is a novel. We can all relax.

What Phoebus and A-DB said.

Wasn't seeking to descend into that old chestnut again. Was just seeking to show that the shorts weren't all that long!

Obviously Dan has done it before with Ghostmaker, so whatever happens - excited!

Any time page count is applied to novel size, it's wrong. Dead wrong. Page count is the vaguest, least reliable measure of novel length. Word count is everything.

Respectfully, I’m not worried about page count. It could be 200 pages; it could be 600. I’m more worried about what’s on those pages.

Respectfully, I’m not worried about page count. It could be 200 pages; it could be 600. I’m more worried about what’s on those pages.

Then be at ease. Magos is a novel. The new story, Magos, the new novel, is a novel. 

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, here. It really is a novel. If you're worried it's not a novel (and you seemed to be, when you mentioned you worried it would be a novella) then have no fear. It's a novel.

Source: Dan, at the Horus Heresy meeting, when I said "Dude, what's the word count?"

EDIT: I've re-read this post like nine times and is still reads sarcastic. It's not, I swear!

So according to the new BL schedule it's a whole new Eisenhorn trilogy that's due, was that known already?

It does? The only mention of Eisenhorn I saw called it an anthology. I'd love a new trilogy though.

Page 2 of the weekender schedule.

You mean the event timetable PDF, right? I still can't find it. The only seminar relating to Eisenhorn that I can see (outside the audiobook one) is 'To Walk in Dark Places - The forthcoming Eisenhorn anthology'. Apologies if I'm just being dense and missing it.

I'll be blunt, gang. Magos is a novel. We can all relax.

Then be at ease. Magos is a novel. The new story, Magos, the new novel, is a novel.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, here. It really is a novel. If you're worried it's not a novel (and you seemed to be, when you mentioned you worried it would be a novella) then have no fear. It's a novel.

Source: Dan, at the Horus Heresy meeting, when I said "Dude, what's the word count?"

EDIT: I've re-read this post like nine times and is still reads sarcastic. It's not, I swear!

Be at ease, as well; I struggle to think of a post of yours where you haven’t come off as reasonable and helpful. I appreciate you putting my fears at ease!

@ADB thanks for clearing THAT up.

Now perhaps the discussion could focus more around the fething great news that we are getting more Eisenhorn from Dan Abnett! That can only be a good thing right?

TBH I would have been excited for a new short, new audio or new novella. Getting a novel (short, long, otherwise) is total icing on an unexpected cake. It means those of us who really love 99% of Dan Abnett's work for BL are going from a very quiet period to suddenly getting Warmaster and Magos within a few months. What's not to like!

As I said several pages back - I truly hope that Dan surprising himself by churning out an Eisenhorn novel is a sign that he has got his BL (and specifically Inquisitor) mojo back. Surely this can only mean he will turn his attention to Penitent at long last?

Then be at ease. Magos is a novel. The new story, Magos, the new novel, is a novel. 

Bit late to the party on this one but thanks for the clarification. I was incredulous when I read people moaning on the FB announcement - it literally stated that there was a full length novel’s worth of material. I can’t imagine any good reason why BL would lie about it. When I pointed this out, one commentator admitted that he ‘hadn’t seen that bit’!

In the immortal words of Stewart Lee, ‘you can prove anything with facts’.

A-DB, just to say - you didn't come across sarcastic. Will you get a chance to read it soon? :biggrin.: (as an aside; how do you guys swap manuscripts, if you do, i have this image in my head of people scrolling through Word documents which seems like hell to me!)

Archived