With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

Cast prescience from a termie sorcerer to hit on 2+, add the bonus to invuln save and the minus to hit for good measure, and use Veterans of the Long War, and it'll get pretty mean pretty fast.

Now do the them to Tzaangor Skyfires (or even regular Tzaangors) and it'll get even meaner. Way meaner.

I am surprised to hear folks not liking replacing reroll 1s to hit over the invlun rr. I am sure it helped on Maggie and any other units with a lower invuln though on stock troops i never saw the benefit.

It sounds like a lot of folks rubs and sots benefited from it though mine never seem to. That is how random probability works, like It might have come in at a clutch time for some though. Kind of like i am hoping Firestorm will, ha!

I don't think it's an issue of whether we're happy or not with the aura change, it's the totality of the aura change. RR1's to hit is awesome.

We have Exalteds, Ahriman, Daemon Princes, and Magnus as HQ's that all have the same aura. Looking at nearly any other marine army they have more than 1 aura; I'm not including Magnus as the aura only effects perils and doesn't apply army wide buffs like most others.

Why couldn't Exalted remain RR1's for saves and DP be to hit as is? Ahriman could have done both for his unique train, and Magnus could have been adjusted however.

Bottom line is there are some weird design choices with PA and TS as a whole.

Edit: Boomwolf had it lol

Cast prescience from a termie sorcerer to hit on 2+, add the bonus to invuln save and the minus to hit for good measure, and use Veterans of the Long War, and it'll get pretty mean pretty fast.

Now do the them to Tzaangor Skyfires (or even regular Tzaangors) and it'll get even meaner. Way meaner.

Are the skyfires infantry, and as such can deep strike, or do they have to stand around being shot at before the buffs go up? Genuinely curious. They have good movement, but are still quite fragile when moving through the battlefield. DSing helps, and this is restricted in a way which rewards big units, just like all the other buffs we have available.

Regular tzaangors struggle with being melee units. Which leaves them vulnerable to other assaulters, overwatch, artillery, movement denying spells and stratagems ++. I've had matches between me and my Dragoon-heavy admech versus friends of mine using tons of khorne berserkers. It always comes down to who strikes first. I can also deny your warptime, counterdeploy, use brimstone horror or cultist chaff for screening etc... Shooting is just more reliable, and deep striking shooting units are simply incredibly reliable. A swarm of tzaangors, with or without discs, just seem much more likely to be blown off the table before they get to do much, unless you spam them. And then you'll be forced to pick which units to buff, which gives the opponent the opportunity to focus fire the squads who don't have their defense buffs up and running.

So again I think your math is misleading. Counting value per point doesn't show the entire picture because you won't be able to buff more than X amount of tzaangors, you don't take into account the added value you get for delivery systems etc. No matter which unit we're looking at, we'd want a big enough squad to maximize utility, and we'd like to reliably activate their damage output. Rubricae in large squads seem to be better at this than tzaangors.

Still, this is simply speculation on my end. We'll reconvene when we've played a few matches and figured out what works. Until then, I think I'll avoid this subforum. I've read too many negative posts and it's starting to rub off on me - and it would simply be dumb of me to get riled up because of a disagreement on codex viability. Hope you all have a lot of fun and fulfilling matches and discussions :)

I don't think it's an issue of whether we're happy or not with the aura change, it's the totality of the aura change. RR1's to hit is awesome.

We have Exalteds, Ahriman, Daemon Princes, and Magnus as HQ's that all have the same aura. Looking at nearly any other marine army they have more than 1 aura; I'm not including Magnus as the aura only effects perils and doesn't apply army wide buffs like most others.

Why couldn't Exalted remain RR1's for saves and DP be to hit as is? Ahriman could have done both for his unique train, and Magnus could have been adjusted however.

Bottom line is there are some weird design choices with PA and TS as a whole.

Edit: Boomwolf had it lol

There is something to be said for player agency i do agree.   

I wouldnt say he confirmed 10 man for one Soulreaper. It's in the codex we know that. It can FAQ'd though and since it was that way in the CSM codex and multiple power armor entries and can have 1 in 5, i dont see way rubrics should/would be any different.

As far as warpflamers go, i dont know why I should take them if I can just summon flamers, I'll have to do a breakdown of points per wound but I currently i think flamers would be the way to go.

Eddie is also right in that TS are built to be tricksy psykers. I can dig it. It's not your run of the mill power armor army. Though I fill a power codex name would have been Thralls of Tzeentch rather than codex: thousand sons. It's definitely more of a daemonkin style than a proper legion.

It was asked about in the comments of the article (why csm gets SRC at 5 man). Team is sending feedback up the chain. I am sure they have heard plenty on it by now, lol.

They are going to keep hearing it. I'm going to send emails and hit them up Facebook about things I think need to be FAQ'd

Hi guys

Is there any new info on Deamon engines?

I wonder if Helldrakes and Forgefiends are worth taking with the codex?

Considering how much we have as a faction id say daemon engines will work better with us then anyone else. 

Daemon buffs from our innate casting, any buffs from other various daemons, our strategems, and our own buffs. It stacks pretty well IMO

Hi guys

Is there any new info on Deamon engines?

I wonder if Helldrakes and Forgefiends are worth taking with the codex?

Considering how much we have as a faction id say daemon engines will work better with us then anyone else. 

Daemon buffs from our innate casting, any buffs from other various daemons, our strategems, and our own buffs. It stacks pretty well IMO

Our Daemon Prince or Magnus casting Flickering Flames on either the Forgefiend or Heldrake helps them pass "break points" (getting Hades to wound Toughness 8 on 3's and Baleflamer to wound Toughness 7 or 8 on 4's). Also makes an Ectoplasma head a little more worth it on the Fiend. 

Having a Herald on a disc nearby (if you have Daemon Allies) can also get the Drake to Str 8, which is a big break point in CC.

Anyone plan on using the Spell-swap strategem to get Daemon spells on our Sorcerers? RAW as of this moment they may pick from all three lores when paying the CP to swap; may be worth considering.

For sure if it's needed.

Dare I say we are a tricksy codex.

I'm considering using Dark Matter Crystal to fling the Warpflamer Squad up and then popping 1CP to give the Aspiring Sorcerer Warptime. This would allow them to operate without requiring an HQ to babysit them (if you want to do other things on the table with your HQs)

Best part about this is that you dont have to commit to it in the list obviously, since its chosen before the battle starts with relics and who is going into Webway etc. 

Archived