CCCP IV: Poll Thread and Initial Discussion (The Taurans)

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seeing how I was there to make Imperial Castellans and War Bearers, I guess I have to take part to this.  

I voted for Taurans because I feel like Celebrants have already some fluff written about them, which might limit the design space.   Plus celebrants are :censored:  to paint. 

Woah...10 v 6 for the Taurans...didn't expect that even though I suggested them. :O

Again, your ideas are in harmony with my own ;) and apparently many others!

I think the Taurans give us a blank slate, but also a large number of creative influences.

And indirrctly, without over-explaining it all the time, they could be Taurus-themed in many regards.

Bull-like creatures on their homeworld, hunted or subdued by aspirants?

Stamina and Steadfastness of a stubborn bull, as described in the DW Codex Excerpt?

Two-pronged Attack Tactic - both on land and in space - as the "Horns of Tauran" or so? Attacking two secondary objectives (maybe behind enemy lines) simultaneously, before hitting the main target with their full brute force? (The two tips of the horns and then the skull of a bull)

If we go with a bit of bull-fighting culture on their Homeworld, I'd be interested to see what inspiration 'Spanish'/'Hispanic'-Ornamentation could bring us for relic armors, Vehicles, Dreads and the like!?

We probably have Frater that could quite easily elaborate on that and teach us, I assume.

Funny possible Easter Egg: Make the Homeworld a Planet in one of the Star Systems that are part of the Taurus Star Sign/Horoscope Symbol? So the Chapter or Homeworld name could go back to millenia-old star-maps used during the Great Crusade.

Again, your ideas are in harmony with my own :wink: and apparently many others!

I think the Taurans give us a blank slate, but also a large number of creative influences.

And indirrctly, without over-explaining it all the time, they could be Taurus-themed in many regards.

Stamina and Steadfastness of a stubborn bull, as described in the DW Codex Excerpt?

Two-pronged Attack Tactic - both on land and in space - as the "Horns of Tauran" or so? Attacking two secondary objectives (maybe behind enemy lines) simultaneously, before hitting the main target with their full brute force? (The two tips of the horns and then the skull of a bull)

If we go with a bit of bull-fighting culture on their Homeworld, I'd be interested to see what inspiration 'Spanish'/'Hispanic'-Ornamentation could bring us for relic armors, Vehicles, Dreads and the like!?

We probably have Frater that could quite easily elaborate on that and teach us, I assume.

Funny possible Easter Egg: Make the Homeworld a Planet in one of the Star Systems that are part of the Taurus Star Sign/Horoscope Symbol? So the Chapter or Homeworld name could go back to millenia-old star-maps used during the Great Crusade.

Geneseed:

Taurans could go indeed Spanish/Hispanic or Zulu influences.  The 'stoic defenders' and 'beast hunters' could work with both Salamanders and Imperial Fists geneseed.  Or Ultramarines, as they seem to have fathered most of the chapters. I am bit wary about making the chapter Unforgiven as this adds some constraints - most DA successors are very similar with each other - while here we might want to generate something more unique.

Adherence to codex: 

Depending on the influences the Taurans can become more tribalistic or more codex-obedient.  They seem to use codex markings at least so maybe they are not particularly feral?

Chapter cult: 

How the name was chosen? Does their homeworld worship Emperor as 'ox-god'? Was bull/ox somehow significant to the first chapter master of Taurans? Was Imperial Tarot involved?

How is the chapter-cult? If the bull is not related to the prevalent cult on their home world, are they like most marines, respecting Emperor as first among men, but man nonetheless?  Bulls have all kinds of symbolism going with them.   As restrictive as the bull / ox might appear, consider all this.

It is a symbol of royalty and is sacrificed in religious rituals for millennia, associated with the sun, fire, resurrection, earth, water, night and even death.

The wild nature of the bulls, its roar, the windy breath and the sound of his hooves were associated to tempests, thunder, wind and ocean respectively

In India Shiva's white bull stands for cosmic order, strength and justice.

Mixing and mashing those elements could allow wide variety of backgrounds to build on. 

Again, your ideas are in harmony with my own :wink: and apparently many others!

Geneseed:

Taurans could go indeed Spanish/Hispanic or Zulu influences.  The 'stoic defenders' and 'beast hunters' could work with both Salamanders and Imperial Fists geneseed.  Or Ultramarines, as they seem to have fathered most of the chapters. I am bit wary about making the chapter Unforgiven as this adds some constraints - most DA successors are very similar with each other - while here we might want to generate something more unique.

Adherence to codex: 

Depending on the influences the Taurans can become more tribalistic or more codex-obedient.  They seem to use codex markings at least so maybe they are not particularly feral?

Chapter cult: 

How the name was chosen? Does their homeworld worship Emperor as 'ox-god'? Was bull/ox somehow significant to the first chapter master of Taurans? Was Imperial Tarot involved?

The first geneseed that comes to mind when thinking about the Taurans is Imperial Fist. It just fits, especially if we follow the sutbborn, bullish nature - fist geneseed is infamous for that. 

In regards to UM, I think that can really work for any chapter. There are just so many of them that the varitey they exhibit is quite exceptional. A lot of people get hung up on being Codex adherent but that doesn't have to be the case. Perhaps they could even have their own battle tactica or added to the Codex itself. I would love to see an entry on 'beast hunting' since the Tyrnaids are looking to be a common foe. 

I am not a fan of Salamander geneseed. I also rather like how there are no 'known' Salamander chapters out there. 

Dark Angels could work - they don't have to be similar to the rest. In fact, they could be a chapter who doesn't believe themselves guilty of the sins of the Fallen. It could further impress their stubborn nature. Or, they could strive to bring justice to the Fallen because, as you mentioned, bulls can be a sign of that. I do agree however, that the whole Fallen thing does tend to overwhelm DIYs with DA geneseed. 

Also, I like the idea of aspirants hunting down massive, ferocious bulls on their homeworld. It could even be a veteran thing as the bulls could be so dangerous, even fully fledged space marines could be killed.  

Oho, now this is interesting. Somewhere along the way, the Taurans have garnered a groundswell of support and lead the Celebrants two-to-one. Although I'm still partial to the Celebrants, I cannot understate this intriguing turn - what can I do with the Taurans? How can I apply myself to give this Chapter a culture that is deep and believable? 

Regardless of the outcome, this should be a good opportunity to exercise the old grey matter. ^_^

I was vacillating between the Taurans and Celebrants myself, so I'll be very happy with either one. Didn't expect the Taurans to be so far ahead though. If they win, painting will be so mush easier (could that be why they are so popular?.....hmmm). Anyway, whichever way we go all of the chapters have great potential. I'm looking forward to this project:thumbsup: 

I voted for the Taurans, as they have a really cool scheme and it is a shame that they are not fleshed out. I personally like the idea of them being Dark Angels Successors, as differentiating them from the Unforgiven would definitely make for some interesting writing. I like the Idea of using ancient Iberian Tribes as a potential influence in their ways of war, perhaps going so far as to molding their homeworld in likeness to the Spanish peninsula. Would be cool to still have them be knightly, but more savage than the robe-wearing 1st Legion. Savage Weapons if you will. :wink:

I was the first person to vote for the Tauran (it was them or Night Watch for me). I'll be honest I felt what I thought was the favourites (the Celebrants) were quite boring, both in colour scheme (sure it's different, but I just don't dig it) and in the ideas that people were suggesting. Personally I think the Tauran offer a broader scope for theme but I don't particularly want to see people getting bogged down on over theming (which may be which put me off the Celebrants and oh they must celebrate blah). I'd rather see them go the route of like the Carcharodons (Space Sharks) and not route of the Space Wolves (werewolves who ride giant wolves because wolves).

Also does anyone have their How to Paint Space Marines handy and can check whether they are written as Taurans or Tauran (the latter feels like it is already a plural)?

I was the first person to vote for the Tauran (it was them or Night Watch for me). I'll be honest I felt what I thought was the favourites (the Celebrants) were quite boring, both in colour scheme (sure it's different, but I just don't dig it) and in the ideas that people were suggesting. Personally I think the Tauran offer a broader scope for theme but I don't particularly want to see people getting bogged down on over theming (which may be which put me off the Celebrants and oh they must celebrate blah). I'd rather see them go the route of like the Carcharodons (Space Sharks) and not route of the Space Wolves (werewolves who ride giant wolves because wolves).

Also does anyone have their How to Paint Space Marines handy and can check whether they are written as Taurans or Tauran (the latter feels like it is already a plural)?

I voted for Celebrant myself, I rather like the idea of a Chapter whose rituals take center stage. Any Chapter runs the risk of over-theming, it all depends on what direction the community wants to take it.

As for the Taurans, I agree that Tauran is already plural. I don't have that  book handy, but I do have pictures taken from the successors pamphlet that came with the 7th edition SM 'dex (maybe it was the limited edition one).

XxpkMaf.jpg

I've just found this within one of the Deathwatch limited edition codex supplements: 

IiQHERN.png 

Does shed a little light on the Tauran(s)?

This is the most recent reference to the Taurans that we have, and it does indeed pluralise with an s. I can see it go both ways, but it does indeed mean we might have a CCCP chapter that has plastic shoulder pads available!

Another theme I could see being developed with the taurans could be the idea of "culling", the slaughter of livestock or overpopulated biospheres. Perhaps even blood sacrifice, and burning bones for readings of the future

To that end, I'd also see them making use of poleaxes, that were supposedly used initially in the culling of cattle.

I think this rather grim outlook is reflected in their dull black helmets, that contrasts with an outwardly noble white (that is just slightly off-white)

I think the Taurans would see this as a rather grim duty, and wouldn't give in to senseless violence like the Minotaurs would. If they are used for the culling of imperial citizens, that could give some element of explanation to why they are so mysterious

Another theme I could see being developed with the taurans could be the idea of "culling", the slaughter of livestock or overpopulated biospheres. Perhaps even blood sacrifice, and burning bones for readings of the future

To that end, I'd also see them making use of poleaxes, that were supposedly used initially in the culling of cattle.

I think this rather grim outlook is reflected in their dull black helmets, that contrasts with an outwardly noble white (that is just slightly off-white)

I think the Taurans would see this as a rather grim duty, and wouldn't give in to senseless violence like the Minotaurs would. If they are used for the culling of imperial citizens, that could give some element of explanation to why they are so mysterious

You would think marines would have 'better' things to do than tasks that could be relegated to lesser force - unless we talk about culling the enemies of mankind in the name of the Emperor.  Seeing that the most recent reference has them have 'crusading' fleets this seems a decent match of ideas.  The Taurans could crusade to cull the enemies of mankind. 

What is your Duty? 

To serve Emperor's Will.

What is Emperor's Will? 

That we bring death to his enemies.

What is Death? 

It is our duty.

What is your Duty?

So we would have a chapter that sees killing as their duty. They take pride in their craft, but they are not blood thirsty warriors nor senseless butchers.  Cold and calculative to the bitter end.

You would think marines would have 'better' things to do than tasks that could be relegated to lesser force - unless we talk about culling the enemies of mankind in the name of the Emperor. Seeing that the most recent reference has them have 'crusading' fleets this seems a decent match of ideas. The Taurans could crusade to cull the enemies of mankind.

What is your Duty?

To serve Emperor's Will.

What is Emperor's Will?

That we bring death to his enemies.

What is Death?

It is our duty.

What is your Duty?

So we would have a chapter that sees killing as their duty. They take pride in their craft, but they are not blood thirsty warriors nor senseless butchers. Cold and calculative to the bitter end.
Well, if a world rebels, along with pdf and stuff, and the imperium doesn't want word of this getting out, then they might send in the taurans is what i was thinking - of course in that case the world would be an enemy of humanity

I like the quote

Edited by Lord Thørn