The Emperor protects - a Codex: AM review

Feral_80

Exactly, it's jumbled. And confusion leads to loopholes, rule ambiguities, and venturesome attempts to abuse them.

Equipping a Platoon commander with a power axe is certainly no game-changing. Just as NOT equipping him with a power axe. The no small difference between the two is that the former opens the way to new ways to abuse the game in future, potentially more severe instances, while the latter does not. I know which road we are pursuing in my gaming group at least.

I can only hope that GW changes her mind and rules this differently, and as soon as possible.

Isn't more confusing for my opponents if all of my Steel Legion Company Commanders now suddenly have power swords instead of the power mauls they are modeled with?

Like, we are then promoting either having to scour bits sites and remodel or anti-WYSIWIG, and my group is adamantly wysiwig.

Edited by Beams

Hilariously, since Voice of Command says they can order units who have the same <regiment> keyword and Commisars have no regiment keyword, one could in joke argue that Commisars with the trait can issue orders to every unit without regiment keyword. I would throw a book at anyone who seriously considered this, but somehow I find the image off some Commisar ordering Kaldor Draigoto to man up and get back into the fight hilarious. Too bad Guiliman is not infantry.

Posted · Hidden by duz_, October 13, 2017 - Off topic
Hidden by duz_, October 13, 2017 - Off topic

So 50 man conscript units from the Index you can't use, because there is a Conscript option in the codex.

But, to play devils advocate, how does this differ from a lost option regarding weaponry, unless they specified weaponry options?

Personally, I'm of the opinion that you use the Index for units that have no comparison in the codex. Weaponry will hopefully be fixed by an FAQ, because cherrypicking leads to all sorts of confusion. We've had builds invalidated before, just look at the loss of Sonic weaponry following 3.5's Chaos codex.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd allow it personally in friendly games, but otherwise this just opens a whole can of worms, picking and choosing from 50 different sources to get the best options and points.

I converted SWS with Demo Charges. What do they count as now?

Mine will become regular or vet Catchans with the most basic weapon and shiny add-on prop. Yours can just Index the heck out of themselves. Odds are most people won’t have a clue to what you are doing anyways.

So I took my Vostroyans in a game a couple days again. The Kurov’s Aquila net me 3 CP by the end of the game. (We stopped on T3. But in practical term I had 3 CP left so it basically gave me 1 interruption and 1 reroll).

Second, Vostroyan Plasma Ponies were amazing. Notably, I could Rapid at 15”. This is important because I flank, and deploy 15” away from intended target. Rapid with 8 Shots of Overcharge Plasma (2 Units of 6). An infantry-speed squad moves 6” they are 9” away from my Ponies.

This means I am well enough to likely avoid a counter charge. And will be able to charge on my following turns with my Ponies. It’s little thing but important nonetheless. Gives them a bit more survivabilty.

Third, 6” Range came in other ways. My backfield Lascannons almost never had to worry about movement or otherwise. The regular Lasguns could take pop shots every once in awhile. Which put out a couple wounds here and there.

It’s not the greatest thing but that 6” Range was far more helpful than I would have ever initially guessed or suspected.

There is a strange line for those that can take heavy weapon bases "If models in these units form Heavy Weapon Teams, there is no additional points cost" which can be interpreted one of 2 ways:

Since HWT bases are 6 points each when taken in their own squad, you do not have to pay the extra 2 points.

You only pay points for 9 models in vets/ infantry squads or 3 in command squads (though there is only 1 squad size quoted for those affected squads, 10 for vets and infantry and 4 for command squads).

Personally I go for the first option and pay for the 10 dudes, then add the weapon weapon on top.

HWT were weird in the index too. I never really knew how to calculate their points value in veteran units... I mean, theres no points value for veteran HWT, so... yeah. Just weird. Hope they FAQ it.

I presume given that the starting size of those units is fixed you pay for that many models and then don't add extra points if you form a heavy weapons team (barring the gun of course)

Well here's the problem. Forming a Heavy Weapons team out of 2 infantry actually brings down the price. 2 Infantry are 4 points a piece for 8 points. 1 Heavy Weapon Team is 6 points. So... Are we paying 8 points for the heavy weapon team or 6?

I presume given that the starting size of those units is fixed you pay for that many models and then don't add extra points if you form a heavy weapons team (barring the gun of course)

Well here's the problem. Forming a Heavy Weapons team out of 2 infantry actually brings down the price. 2 Infantry are 4 points a piece for 8 points. 1 Heavy Weapon Team is 6 points. So... Are we paying 8 points for the heavy weapon team or 6?

I'm paying 8 to be on the safe side, I think that's the way it's meant to be 

Edit: The six points is just for models in a heavy weapons squad whereas the ones in other units are formed from existing unit members therefore the points need to be paid for both guardsmen/veterans

Edited by Harrowmaster

Yet it says those two guardsmen may form a heavy weapons team, which has an associated point value as well as its own stat line. The wording is ambiguous and an FAQ is needed, especially for those of us who prep for tourney play.

Heavy weapon team does not have a point value. Heavy weapon squad has a point value.

Yet it says those two guardsmen may form a heavy weapons team, which has an associated point value as well as its own stat line. The wording is ambiguous and an FAQ is needed, especially for those of us who prep for tourney play.

Never the less, the wording is ambiguous enough that arguments could be made for an Infantry Squad Heavy Weapon Team to cost 4, 6 or 8 points. I've no problem with any of those three values just so long as we have some sort of official confirmation which of the three it is.

That sounds like a great idea. Their biggest issue is not being viable to shoot until at least T3/4 and that would help and ignore the movement penalty.

I had hoped they would make the Deathstrike easier to shoot in the codex. Right now its likely to be wiped out T1 or 2 without shooting unless youre really lucky.