Devastation of Baal - Guy Haley - Discussion/Spoilers

Sun Reaver

I loved the book. Finished it a few days ago and then powered through this topic tonight. I really like how the book handled Guilliman meeting Dante.Ā 

Dante and Devastation of Baal are two of my favorite books. It was cool seeing The Sanguinor and The Legion of the Damned in the final battle. And Dante being confused by the Unnumbered Sons in BA armor.Ā 

Thinking about the fact that the Primaris Blood Angels resilience about the flaw, i remember an evident fact about the Blood Angels lore.

Ā 

The Red Thirst is a Gene-seed flaw, that can be tempered, to some extend, and is a pre-heresy thing. But the Black Rage is a Psychic Flaw, post-heresy thing, transmitted by the Insanguination Process.

Ā 

Regarding the fact that Sanguinary Priest are the ones by which the Blood of Sanguinius is transmitted. Cawl may not had access to this "tainted" source, but instead, for the first Blood Angels Primaris worked using 30k Blood Angels gene-seed and pre-heresy Sanguinius Blood.

Ā 

So, basically, when the next generation of Primaris will be inducted using the Blood Angels process of the Insanguination, with 40k/post-heresy Sanguinary Priest blood, they will suffer from the effects of the Black Rage. As for the Red Thirst, it will be more a In-battle flaw, than a constant one as most 40k successors faced.

This may have been answered but I'm afraid of too many spoilers. Does anyone have a list of what chapters arrive to help the Blood Angels in this book?

Ā 

So Dante has called upon 'all of the Chapters of the Blood', and aside from the Lamenters 'responding unfavourably', everybody's supposedly represented.

Ā 

Between 'Dante' and 'Devastation of Baal', we have the following mentioned:

Ā 

Angels Encarmine

Angels Excelsis

Angels Glorious

Angels Numinous

Angels of Light

Angels Penitent

Angels Sanguine

Angels Vermillion (turned up uninvited)

Blood Drinkers

Blood Legion

Blood Templars

Blood Swords

Brothers of Jarad

Brothers of the Red

Burning Blood

Carmine Blades

Carmine Swords

Charnel Guard

Disciples of Blood

Exsanguinators

Flesh Eaters

Flesh Tearers

Golden Sons

Knights of Blood (weren't asked but RSVP'd nonetheless)

Red Knights

Red Wings

Sable Brotherhood

Sanguine Host

Scions of Sanguinius

Ā 

plus potentially an additional unnamed 'score' of chapters. Oh, and the Legion of the Damned, too.

Edited by tkni

Ā 

This may have been answered but I'm afraid of too many spoilers. Does anyone have a list of what chapters arrive to help the Blood Angels in this book?

Ā 

So Dante has called upon 'all of the Chapters of the Blood', and aside from the Lamenters 'responding unfavourably', everybody's supposedly represented.

Ā 

Ā 

Angels Encarmine

Angels Excelsis

Angels Glorious

Angels Numinous

Angels of Light

Angels Penitent

Angels Sanguine

Blood Drinkers

Blood Legion

Blood Templars

Blood Swords

Brothers of Jarad

Brothers of the Red

Burning Blood

Carmine Blades

Carmine Swords

Charnel Guard

Disciples of Blood

Exsanguinators

Flesh Eaters

Flesh Tearers

Golden Sons

Red Knights

Red Wings

Sable Brotherhood

Sanguine Host

Scions of Sanguinius

Ā 

plus potentially an additional unnamed 'score' of chapters. Oh, and the Legion of the Damned, too.

Ā 

Ā 

On top of this, The Golden Sons, Angels Glorious, Angels Excelsis, Buring Blood, Brothers of Jarad, and Knights of Blood are all completely wiped out. Though Dante says they will all be rebuilt except the Knights of Blood, who Dante says should be remembered for their last heroic act (also says their name is cursed).

There could be a new Chapter founded with the same name/scheme. It happened with the Fire Angels, I believe.

Ā 

EDIT: Didn't see the bit about the name being cursed. Still, it's not like Dante has naming rights over all Chapters founded with Blood Angels geneseed. The scheme could definitely be recycled though.

Edited by Lord_Caerolion

WOO!! Flesh Eaters are still kicking around! :woot:

Ā 

Let's see...Blood Drinkers, Flesh Eaters, Angels Encarmine. Three of my favourite BA Successors. Off to start reading this book immediately!

Tkni, that is awesome of you. Good on ya =)

Ā 

Maybe set them up as a sucessor of the Knights of Blood if you like that.

Call em Knights of Sanguinius or something etc

Ā 

The lost in the warp and not entirely wiped out angle is also always available too.

In the year xyz the strike cruiser abc was lost in the warp, on board the ? company of the Knights of Blood had no idea that time had passed and things had happened in the universe at large. Coming back to real space they were shocked to hear all that had befallen their parent chapter and vowed to rebuild... etc =)

Ā 

Have fun and enjoy your models whatever you do I am thinking *nod.

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Angels Encarmine

Angels Excelsis

Angels Glorious

Angels Numinous

Angels of Light

Angels Penitent

Angels Sanguine

Blood Drinkers

Blood Legion

Blood Templars

Blood Swords

Brothers of Jarad

Brothers of the Red

Burning Blood

Carmine Blades

Carmine Swords

Charnel Guard

Disciples of Blood

Exsanguinators

Flesh Eaters

Flesh Tearers

Golden Sons

Red Knights

Red Wings

Sable Brotherhood

Sanguine Host

Scions of Sanguinius

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

On top of this, The Golden Sons, Angels Glorious, Angels Excelsis, Buring Blood, Brothers of Jarad, and Knights of Blood are all completely wiped out. Though Dante says they will all be rebuilt except the Knights of Blood, who Dante says should be remembered for their last heroic act (also says their name is cursed).

Ā 

Comes as no surprise, some of those sound like they were invented just to be killed off and artificially inflate the scale of sacrifice. Burning Blood? What an awful chapter name

Any interesting bits about the Angels Encarmine? Castellan Zargo still relentlessly kicking ass?

Ā 

He dies. Along with most of the chapter.

Ā 

More detail...

Ā 

"Zargo died an hour ago, my lord, along with two thirds of his Chapter," said Sendroth. "The Angels Encarmine are devastated. Half of them could not restrain themselves at the loss and let the thirst take them. They killed many before they fell. There are barely a company's worth of them left"

Edited by Blindhamster

Nvm they were the Blood Disciples...

Yeah some writer aren't very creative or original with the cannon fodder chapter names. Like there's also a Khorne warband named Knights of Blood and some Chapter/Warbands got used multiple times in different storys with different looks etc. :D

Ā 

Any interesting bits about the Angels Encarmine? Castellan Zargo still relentlessly kicking ass?

Ā 

He dies. Along with most of the chapter.

Ā 

More detail...

Ā 

"Zargo died an hour ago, my lord, along with two thirds of his Chapter," said Sendroth. "The Angels Encarmine are devastated. Half of them could not restrain themselves at the loss and let the thirst take them. They killed many before they fell. There are barely a company's worth of them left"

Ā 

N0000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!!! . My copy was lost in the Warp (well USPS ) .Ā 

Awesome! Thank you for the list! That is a lot of chapters to work with. Going to proceed building my multi-chapter Legion with the chapter badge on the left and the Legion badge on the right.