New codex coming this year...

Leonaides

The difference here is that Heroic Intervention only gets triggered if the Character is this close to the unit that got charged tho. What I want is that it gets triggered when the Character is this close to the unit that made the charge. :wink:

And also iirc Heroic Intevention only triggers if the enemy made a charge not if you made one.

It's super annoying when Death Company make the charge and Lemartes is hanging out in the back. Happens to me a lot. I usually daisy chain the unit to still get the buffs, but that is far from optimal. If a character is within buff range of a unit, they should just all be able to charge as a group with one roll.

Yeah that would be one solution as well!

"If a Character is within 3" of a charging unit, treat that Character as having made a successfull charge roll against the same unit as well."

Making it dependant on buff range wouldn't be so good tho I think. Different characters have different aura ranges and there are ways to increase the buff range of characters. Being 12" away from a unit and charging together with it seems a bit broken. ^^

The difference here is that Heroic Intervention only gets triggered if the Character is this close to the unit that got charged tho. What I want is that it gets triggered when the Character is this close to the unit that made the charge. :wink:

And also iirc Heroic Intevention only triggers if the enemy made a charge not if you made one.

It's super annoying when Death Company make the charge and Lemartes is hanging out in the back. Happens to me a lot. I usually daisy chain the unit to still get the buffs, but that is far from optimal. If a character is within buff range of a unit, they should just all be able to charge as a group with one roll.

Yeah that would be one solution as well!

"If a Character is within 3" of a charging unit, treat that Character as having made a successfull charge roll against the same unit as well."

Making it dependant on buff range wouldn't be so good tho I think. Different characters have different aura ranges and there are ways to increase the buff range of characters. Being 12" away from a unit and charging together with it seems a bit broken. ^^

Yeah, that's true. Between 3" to 6" would work.

Mmh just had the thought that one could abuse this easily by having one unit charge and a bunch of characters tag along. Maybe include some restrictions. Amount of characters, only tagging along with non-character units and/or a roll of 4+ to tag along....or really just a free consolidation move instead of having a successfull charge so you're likely to be still in range and have it easier to pull off the charge with the characters as well.

Mmh just had the thought that one could abuse this easily by having one unit charge and a bunch of characters tag along. Maybe include some restrictions. Amount of characters, only tagging along with non-character units and/or a roll of 4+ to tag along....or really just a free consolidation move instead of having a successfull charge so you're likely to be still in range and have it easier to pull off the charge with the characters as well.

If it is a stratagem we can only use it once per phase. 

If it is a stratagem we can only use it once per phase. 

Yeah if it's a Stratagem. I was thinking of it as a general fix for melee so it would be available for everyone by default. ^^

Hmmm, would an addition to the charge range really be something we want as a CT? it really doesn't seem to do anything to actually help in killing enemy units. If GW was set on making it easier for BA to get into combat from reserves, It would probably be better to give us a CT that changed the Jump Pack Assault and orbital intervention to take place at the beginning of the movement phase instead of the end.

Well ...to be fair, this is how they believed/intended the Blood Angels would work with the Index. If you recall the early FLG reports... it was massive character aura buff assaulting madness dominating the meta.

Sure, but you could easily fail a charge for a bunch of characters too. Not to mention if you keep the characters behind the unit the distance rolled still might not be enough to get them into combat. Plus you are paying for them. How many people run a ton of characters that want to be in melee? I don't think having a ton of characters along for the ride is a big deal. The only restrictions I would have is that you can only do this with infantry. So a character couldn't do a group charge with a Land Raider for instance. Maybe I'd extend this to only 1 character can group with a unit, but I don't see the problem (my view is more Space Marine centric though). What do you think this would be a problem with?

Hmmm, would an addition to the charge range really be something we want as a CT? it really doesn't seem to do anything to actually help in killing enemy units. If GW was set on making it easier for BA to get into combat from reserves, It would probably be better to give us a CT that changed the Jump Pack Assault and orbital intervention to take place at the beginning of the movement phase instead of the end.

Well I would want it at least. I don't need a CT to help us killing enemy units if our units would be balanced. I need something to get those units into melee in the first place. ^^

I believe you guys are getting too hung up on the CT. Most CTs aren't that great. unit rules, point costs and Stratagems are the main deal breakers of other armies, especially if there is synergy between them. Not a single CT is an auto-win or even the reason those factions are strong. Its the stuff around it.

I believe you guys are getting too hung up on the CT. Most CTs aren't that great. unit rules, point costs and Stratagems are the main deal breakers of other armies, especially if there is synergy between them. Not a single CT is an auto-win or even the reason those factions are strong. Its the stuff around it.

Agreed. Our army is most likely going to have issues when trying to assault regardless because of the way 8th edition handles assault vs. shooting. We're kinda expecting a Codex to fix a Core Rule issue. That isn't going to happen.

The issue with assaulting is resolved by taking Heavy Flamers. Everywhere. On every unit! Some call me crazy. But I'm building that army dangnabit! Seriously though. The codex better allow my tactical squads and devastators to use Heavy Flamers or I'm going to cry. I have $300 invested in Blood Angel Heavy Flamers right now. :D

Edited by Aothaine

Well considering it’s one of only two heavy weapons that come in the BA Tac box I think your investment won’t lose value. No guarantee it will pay dividends on the table top though

It will. It might not win all the time. But I'm going to love flame roasting everything! My Flesh Tearers like their meat seared. ^_^

The issue with assaulting is resolved by taking Heavy Flamers. Everywhere. On every unit! Some call me crazy. But I'm building that army dangnabit! Seriously though. The codex better allow my tactical squads and devastators to use Heavy Flamers or I'm going to cry. I have $300 invested in Blood Angel Heavy Flamers right now. :biggrin.:

The new Designer's Commentary has a flowchart that allows us to use wargear options from the Index even if it's not on the Codex Datasheet, so you will be able to equip them with Heavy Flamers still. ;)

The issue with assaulting is resolved by taking Heavy Flamers. Everywhere. On every unit! Some call me crazy. But I'm building that army dangnabit! Seriously though. The codex better allow my tactical squads and devastators to use Heavy Flamers or I'm going to cry. I have $300 invested in Blood Angel Heavy Flamers right now. :biggrin.:

The new Designer's Commentary has a flowchart that allows us to use wargear options from the Index even if it's not on the Codex Datasheet, so you will be able to equip them with Heavy Flamers still. :wink:

Yup! Saw that shortly after making that post. Now I just need to verify if making my normal marines with primaris bodies will be legal. Hope it is. I really do like the bigger sizes. Making them regardless though. Especially now that the flow chart shows me they will be legal. ^_^

It’s funny how much nostalgia there is for 3rd. When I started playing back then the old timers just talked about how glorious 2nd was. Now we have people talking about the glory days of 5th.

I don’t need rhino rush to come back but I want multiple ways to play BA. Multiple fun, competitive, fluffy builds is the only way “we get what we want”, so to that point; I don’t trust FLG at all.

I don’t miss the rogue trader days, I don’t miss 2nd ed(played orks during RT and 2nd and had my entire army mauled by virus grenades and the virus-outbreak card in 2nd) and in RT you bought rolls on tables for your characters and ork kustom weapons was all RNG.

Imo there never was a «good old days». 5th ed? All about ork nobz bikers, Ghaz and 3 battlewagons with mega-nobz or leafblower IG. And let us not forget GK 5th ed.

Im sure there are plenty more examples, but for casual/friendly gaming I had a blast with 3rd ed and the armageddon codex

The new Designer's Commentary has a flowchart that allows us to use wargear options from the Index even if it's not on the Codex Datasheet, so you will be able to equip them with Heavy Flamers still. :wink:

Yup! Saw that shortly after making that post. Now I just need to verify if making my normal marines with primaris bodies will be legal. Hope it is. I really do like the bigger sizes. Making them regardless though. Especially now that the flow chart shows me they will be legal. :happy.:

Well define legal. It would be a kitbash of two different units and ultimately probably be a counts-as Tactical from a mainly Primaris model. ^^

It’s funny how much nostalgia there is for 3rd. When I started playing back then the old timers just talked about how glorious 2nd was. Now we have people talking about the glory days of 5th.

I don’t need rhino rush to come back but I want multiple ways to play BA. Multiple fun, competitive, fluffy builds is the only way “we get what we want”, so to that point; I don’t trust FLG at all.

I don’t miss the rogue trader days, I don’t miss 2nd ed(played orks during RT and 2nd and had my entire army mauled by virus grenades and the virus-outbreak card in 2nd) and in RT you bought rolls on tables for your characters and ork kustom weapons was all RNG.

Imo there never was a «good old days». 5th ed? All about ork nobz bikers, Ghaz and 3 battlewagons with mega-nobz or leafblower IG. And let us not forget GK 5th ed.

Im sure there are plenty more examples, but for casual/friendly gaming I had a blast with 3rd ed and the armageddon codex

yeah, 3rd edition was the most fun my group of friends ever had with 40k, but I chalk that up as a bit nostalgia as well. I know my marine playing friends absolutely hated my starcannons and Crystal targeting matrix tricks and wraithlord lol. Or 80 point avatar lol. We are having a great time with 8th though, and all play mono-faction /no soup, so even if our new codex isn’t crazy competitive I can likely make a build work. I’m hoping to be able to make multiple builds work though.

Negatives:

-my wife asked me what was wrong the other day. I told her I was anxious about the new Codex. She thought I had an incurable illness. I’m not the nervous type

-based on experience so far, I am not sure what to make of FLG’s enthusiasm. Their excitement often means something is competitive at the national tourney level...but that usually means stuff like “tactical marines” are cheaper or other items that are utterly lacking in fluffy juicy ways

-while there have been many improvements across the board (hehe), and there are many facets of the game I think are better off now, if there’s one thing I can definitively st the current moment is say is that this is NOT the “best edition of 40k” as they GW crooned to the high heavens pre-launch. I think most will agree

Positives:

-Sanguinius always had hope. Even facing Horus as he died, even in the darkest moments, he mustered the strength to knock a chink in the foe’s armor

-I am willing to give FLG the benefit of the doubt on this one. My conversations with Reece make me think there is some sincerity there. Also, the way they are saying “play the way you want them to” is telling to me. Many of the complaints lobbed at FLG and Reece have been along the lines of “that’s not a fluffy list that uses BA-unique units” or “it doesn’t play the way BA players want it to.” For them to use that specific wording gives me some hope

-if the BA Codex sucks I will have so much more free time!

Is the Sanguinius armour-chink still canon? I thought that was retconned?

Reece talking about BA on podcasts early in the edition really really soured me on him and FLG, when I realized “powerful BA” to them, meant soup with a red unit or two. Or stormraven spam. “Play the way you want to play them” sounds like a good change of tune.

Rules aside, something I hope is in the Codex is some sort of 'defender/survivor of Baal' marking. I'm going to be adding something regardless but it would be really cool to me if there was some little thing added officially (so that I didn't have to come up with something myself, really :laugh.:).