Codex Chaos Daemons first in 2018

Panzer

Looks like Rotigus is the more anti infantry version of the GUO's.. I wonder Delugde of nurgle have a max range.  But i think i will also stick with the generic GUO and give him a bell and flail.. the bell sounds really fun.

To come with some additional news from AoS side of things.

- I think Rotigus' Delugde will not have a max range. He has an incredibly potent spell in AoS that doesn't have one either. Mortal wounds are more common there but he basically has a spell (7+) that allows you to pick 7 units in sight there (no range limit), roll a 4+ for them and have D3 wounds if you made the 4+ roll. Very tasty. 

- As Mortal Wounds are much less common in 40K the effect is still somewhat there but just different. It just happens here, which is cool too. Really good for hurting characters (like in AoS). 

- For the Great Unclean One the choice is relatively simple. If you want to spice him up with Artefacts, Warlord Traits/Command Traits then he's the essential pick. Again AoS and 40K overlap quite a bit here. One of the great things in AoS he has is a spell that adds attacks for a Nurgle unit. While I don't expect it here so much he's bound to be a fantastic supportive model. The Locus will be on him, on that massive 130mm base that 6" bubble is going to cover multiple units quite easily. 

All in all, just like with Khorne and Tzeentch, I believe that both are very worthy inclusions and if you manage to find the points for it running both in 2K is a great idea too. 

I still believe the Codex Chaos Daemons to be fine for all. I've read some sour Tzeentch comments but in reality Tzeentch is still great too, it's just that the Brimstone use was likely not accounted for in the way it did. Shooting Daemons are just very powerful.

In regards to mounted Heralds, use Index if you feel like you need to. In quite some cases I don't always understand the perspective some come with when complaining. 40K 8th ed is build to mix so if you want to remove certain Daemon weaknesses, add CSM or whatever Chaos allows for. Going mono-God will be strong enough soon for sure.

Looks like Rotigus is the more anti infantry version of the GUO's.. I wonder Delugde of nurgle have a max range. But i think i will also stick with the generic GUO and give him a bell and flail.. the bell sounds really fun.

In regards to mounted Heralds, use Index if you feel like you need to. In quite some cases I don't always understand the perspective some come with when complaining. 40K 8th ed is build to mix so if you want to remove certain Daemon weaknesses, add CSM or whatever Chaos allows for. Going mono-God will be strong enough soon for sure.

Plus not being included in the codex can have benefits, such as avoiding potential nerfs and like a Death Guard Sorceror with Jump Pack or Daemon Prince still having access to the CSM discipline.

It's NURGLE baby!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/04/faction-focus-daemons-nurglegw-homepage-post-4/

Gnarlmaw (Tree) rules:

40kNurglePreview-Jan4-Boxout5hw.jpg

So basically you can pop a tree near an objective with Slimux and give your Plague Bearers a 4+ against anything that is AP0! As well as making it a solid place to take charges as you can fall back, shoot and charge.

LOL @ THE DEATH GUARD DAEMON ENGINES IF THEY ARE ALLOWED THIS. THAT'S CRAZY. ALSO MORTARION.

Anyone else really want a ranged Nurgle demon unit?!

Edited by Charlo

And Nurgle gets even more things. Frowny face.

I don't know if Slaanesh being the last of the week is a good thing or bad thing, but with everything I've seen so far (both in the teasers and the leaks) I'm strongly considering making my Daemons project an All-Gods army rather than Slaanesh Specific, just because of the changes don't have me feeling positive. I'll still be waiting until the Codex actually drops to make that call, but it's where I'm leaning right now.

We'll see what tomorrow's teaser brings.

I don't know if Slaanesh being the last of the week is a good thing or bad thing, but with everything I've seen so far (both in the teasers and the leaks) I'm strongly considering making my Daemons project an All-Gods army rather than Slaanesh Specific, just because of the changes don't have me feeling positive. I'll still be waiting until the Codex actually drops to make that call, but it's where I'm leaning right now.

If you want to have a competitive army played with the intention to win tournaments use Chaos Space Marine detachments alongside Daemon detachments.

Edited by Commissar K.

Calm down we know Fulgrim will bring a primarch + new tranny models.

What I want to know is if the Terrain will work for DG too. Can I start a blob of Plague Marines on it for a 1+?

Calm down we know Fulgrim will bring a primarch + new tranny models.

What I want to know is if the Terrain will work for DG too. Can I start a blob of Plague Marines on it for a 1+?

Well that question is very simple to awnser.

This:

40kNurglePreview-Jan4-Boxout5hw.jpg

Works for models with Nurgle Daemon Keywords. Quite a lot of Death Guard models have the Nurgle and Daemon Keywords too. But certainly not all.

Plague Marines do not have Keywords Nurgle and Daemon. Mortarion does, Drones do and the beetles too.

Edited by Commissar K.

However those also have the monster or vehicle keyword so they can benefit of only half the trees rules.

Certainly! 

Honestly though the most relevant part for the tree to me is the whole, shoot, advance, charge etc all at the same time. Standing still and such is semi cool for Plague Marines I guess? I just don't think that's really the power we should focus on here ;) 

Pretty cool.

Pretty much sums up my feelings for this whole Codex together.

Only things that still make me cringe a bit is that when some ask for cost reduction X or Y and see that it isn't there and get upset seem to forget that on top of all of this the Locus is still there too. Plaguebearers very soon will be able to put a nice dent into most Vehicles and I think this is actually a good thing. Paces up the game, no more tarpit vs tarpit and all that.

Heralds + large numbers of any Daemons will work and I love that. At the same time I'm certain of Imperium player complaints who can't accept that they can do the same but somehow refuse to soup up. 

Cheers,

My mistake typing fast earlier before work, I posted plague marines instead of POSSESSED marines. While working though I realized DG don't take possessed right? Maybe I will use my Nurgle Iron Warriors again.

Edited by bozo69pd

My mistake typing fast earlier before work, I posted plague marines instead of POSSESSED marines. While working though I realized DG don't take possessed right? Maybe I will use my Nurgle Iron Warriors again.

Nurgle, Daemons, Deathguard, Infantry, Possessed exist.

Warlord Traits are up.

Slaanesh

1. 3" To M 
2. Reroll fail hit and wound against Char. 
3. If warlord charges, add D3 to Attacks until end of ensuing fight phases. (roll D3 after charge) 
4. Each time you make a wound roll of 6+ in fight phase. Suffers an additional MW. 
5. Add 1 to warlord Attack characteristics. 
6. Enemy model -1 attack (min 1) within 6" of your warlord. Does not affect vehicles. 

Khorne

1. Each time an enemy unit fails morale within 8" of your warlord, that unit loses 1 additional model. 
2. Add 1 to warlord Attack characteristics, if there are more enemy models within 8" of it than friendly models. 
3. 6+++ FnP. if you pass the 6+++ FnP, you can reroll all failed hits and wounds until end of your next turn. 
4. +1 warlord Strength 
5. Each time ur warlord fights, can make a single attack instead of normal cc attack. Make a single hit roll, if successful, target suffers D3MW. 
6. Reroll hits of 1 for friendly Khorne Daemon units that charged this turn and are within 8" of your Warlord when they fight

Tzeentch

1. Add 1 to result of 1st psychic test taken by your warlord. 
2. reduce all dmg by 1 (min1 to warlord) 
3. reroll failed morale test for friendly tz daemons within 9 of warlord.
4. add 6" to range of first psychic power casted by warlord 
5. roll d6, 2+ ignore perils of warp. 
6. Reroll wounds rolls of 1 by tzeentch daemons for shooting phase, within 9" of warlord. 

Nurgle

1. +1 Wound 
2. Each time warlord lose Wound in fight phase. 4+ , unit that caused that wound to the warlord , suffers a MW. 
3. Your opponent must subtract -1 from all hit roll that target warlord if attacking unit within 7" 
4. Add 1 to all wound roll made by warlord in the fight phase unless target vehicle. 
5. Warlord got a 4+ save. 
6. Roll a dice for each enemy within 1" of warlord at start of your turn. On a 4+, that unit suffers a MW.

Just looking at Khorne because it's relevant to me:

1. Extra morale loss for enemy within 8". Meh. Could combo with Night Lords, but still pretty unimpressive.
2. Extra attack if there are lots of enemies around. I'd rather use the "+1 attack when charging" trait from the rulebook, tbh.
3. 6+++ FnP, powers up when succeeded. Pretty damn good. Suffer the wound during Overwatch just for the lols - it would affect the model for the rest of your turn, your opponent's turn, and then your whole turn again. Cool.
4. +1 warlord Strength. Depends on the wording: if it adds +1 S to the model's characteristic, then it would be awesome on an Insensate Rage thirster. Otherwise, decent on a herald or daemon prince with sword.
5. D3 mortal wounds on a single successful attack. Not great on a monster, pretty decent on a herald.
6. 8" reroll 1s aura when units charge. Pretty damn good on a thirster or herald.

Thinking of using the 6+++ trait on a Daemonbomb Bloodthirster if he's by himself. I'll be interested to see which traits Skarbrand, Skulltaker and Karanak get, though.

Edited by Cheex

I think they're pretty solid traits across the board with some nice potential :smile.: Focusing on the Slaanesh ones there's some nice applications in adding movement or setting up as a character hunter. Could be some good use to be had on the -1A aura too. Bonus attacks are a good default if nothing else jumps out at you, depending on your preferences (given the relatively squishy nature of Daemons perhaps the D3 charge attacks is better, outside of a Daemon Prince?).

Nurgle ones are great! A few bits copied over from different bits of the DG codex.

-1 to Hit or the "MW on a 4+ when you lose a W" would both be nasty on a GUO.

4+ save is weird (only helps against AP0 weapons for a Herald?), but I suppose you can give a Herald a 2+ when under a Tree's influence...?

+1 to Wound rolls means a GUO will wound T8 on a 2+ or a Herald will wound T4 on a 2+, all with re-rolls for plague weapons.

Nurgle

1. +1 Wound: This could be good on a Great Unclean One or Daemon Prince. 
2. Each time warlord lose Wound in fight phase. 4+ , unit that caused that wound to the warlord , suffers a MW. : Not bad... pretty good if you intend on getting stuck in.
3. Your opponent must subtract -1 from all hit roll that target warlord if attacking unit within 7": So pretty much perma-Miasma if units are near the Warlord. Decent.
4. Add 1 to all wound roll made by warlord in the fight phase unless target vehicle. : Meh. 
5. Warlord got a 4+ save. : I wonder if this is a 4+ Armour Save or if they mean a 4++. If it's Armour, it sucks. If it's an Invul, it's pretty good. 
6. Roll a dice for each enemy within 1" of warlord at start of your turn. On a 4+, that unit suffers a MW. : Pretty good if you're fighting a swarm army. 

There are some pretty neat ones!

Slaanesh: I'm not sure about 1 except on a Daemon Prince or KoS. Regular Heralds usually don't need to be faster than the rest of the army so they can hide behind units and keep sharing buffs. I think I'd rather take 6 here but 3 and 5 are solid too. Maybe 2 if you want to use your Daemon Prince to hunt big characters like Primarchs.

Khorne: I think the 6 is the best but 3-5 are pretty solid as well depending on your warlord.

Tzeentch: 1 for an easier 11+ Smite or 4 for a 24" Smite (or some other buffed power) sounds great but I'd probably go with 6 here again (I see a pattern lol)

Nurgle: Uhm yeah...those are all solid. I wouldn't know which to take on the first glance and probably just roll a d6 lol