Codex Chaos Daemons first in 2018

Panzer

Perhaps the god specific powers such as miasma of Pestilence will work on daemons but the rest of DH won't. Hopefully they're not just included for belakor.

Warptime would be huge for daemons although if it isn't there I really hope it is for Slannesh.

Yeah I was thinking something like that too. Alternatively maby Khorne has something Blood Tithesque with some cards involved too. I wouldnt count it out due to Daemonkin history for Khorne.

I would count it out; the WD page already posted says there are 80 cards, of which 36 are objectives, 22 are psychic powers, and 22 are stratagems. Doesn't seem like there's any space for Blood Tithe-like cards.

Stratagems might give something reminiscent of it, though. I just doubt it'd be tied to killing units.

Looking closer at the page I'm excited by the god specific Stratagem names.

Frenetic Bloodlust looks very much like Charge bonus for Khorne which for me would be perfect, especially with the previewed reroll bonus and the +1 from an instrument. Since these bonuseses already exist it could even be be something like the Blood Angels 3D6 charge ability (wishful thinking).

Revoltingly Resilient looks interesting too, seems like a boost to FnP rolls which might be powerful

Courtesy of xxhikaru123 on DakkaDakka:

Hi , I have early access to the codex. I have had to create a new account to be safe. As far as I understand from forum rules , I can't give everything or complete details. 

GENERAL:

Daemons are still 5++. 
Afaik, god specific traits are the same.

STRATAGEMS:

General:

The codex has the least amount of strategems, 3-4 for each god and 6 generic ones iirc

Deep Strike:

Costs 1 CP for units 8 PL and below, and 2 CP for units 9 PL and above, no other restrictions. 

God Specific Stratagems:

2CP Tzeentch - pick a character 6" aura of re-roll psychic test. 
1CP Khorne - pick a banner, that unit charges 3D6 instead of 2D6. 
1CP Slaanesh - pick Slaanesh daemon unit, all units within 3" of that -1 Attack for that phase, to a  minimum of 1.
1CP Nurgle - pick a unit with an icon before battle. during 1 fight phase. DMG characteristics of a plague sword carried by that unit increased to 2 

PSYCHIC DISIPLINES:

Dark Hereticus:

Belakor Only: access to Infernal Gaze, Death Hex, and Gift of Chaos. 

Tzeentch: (new powers in addition to the index powers)

WC6: Re-roll a single dice roll later during your turn. 
WC5: Pick friendly tz daemon unit within 18". Until next psychic phase, +1 to wound roll. 
WC8: nearest enemy model wihtin 12, that model's unit and every other unit (friend or foe) within 3' of that model.
Suffers d3 MW. Suffer D6 MW, if power manifested with more than psychic roll of 12+

Nurgle: (new powers in addition to the index powers)

Wc7: Roll D6 for every unit (excluding nurgle) within 7" of caster. 4+ D3 MW. 
WC6. Pick enemy unit visible within 18". -1 Toughness. 
WC6: Miasma of Pestilence same as DG contagion but targets Nurgle Daemon. 

Slaanesh: (new powers in addition to the index powers)

WC5: Select a friendly Slaanesh daemon within 18" its gains FNP 6+.
WC6: Select a visible enemy unit within 18". Roll D6 for every model in that enemy unit. On a roll of 6, 1 mortal wound. 
WC6: All enemy unit -1 LD within 12" of the Psyker. 

RELICS:

Khorne: (Mons only) - 4++ Deny 1 power in each enemy psychic phase. 
Khorne: 1 model. Each time you make wound roll of 6+ fr friendly khorne daemon unit within 6" of bearer, can make another free attack. 

Tzeentch: 1 additional Tzeentch power 
Tzeentch: +1 to smite cast 

Nurgle: every time bearer kills a model in fight phase while within 7' of a plaguebearer unit , on a 4+, add a PB to that unit. 

Slaanesh: 1x per game, start of phase, select enemy char within 12" roll 3D6, if exceed enemy char LD, it cannot do anything, and its abilities don't affect anything.

TZEENTCH CHANGES:

Brimstone horrors are 6++, blues are 5++, pinks are 4++. 
Changeling lost -1 to hit for 6+++ FNP.
No changes known to kairos.
Flamers are 12" range now 
Exalted are 3 shots instead of D3. 
Anything with screamers lost slashing talon but their attacks became Lamprey bite. 
Eg. 2 slashing attacks 1 bite? now 3 bites.

KHORNE CHANGES:

Insensate Rage BT have two attack profiles now. Second (new) S:U -2 1 dmg , make 2 hit roll instead of 1 if use this attack. 
All BTs get a rule that for each unmodded hit roll of 6, they score a 2nd free hit.
So for 3 CP, you can deepstrike a bloodthirster or for 4 CP a max unit of bloodletters , charge them 3D6" rerollable.

NURGLE CHANGES:

Beast of Nurgle are 5 Wounds now , and if you try to Fall Back from them (1"), on a 4+, you suffer a MW. 

POINTS CHANGES:

Most points remain the same but there are some minor changes up and down.
LOC/Kairos drop 20-35 pts. 
Plague drones dropped. 
Bloodthirsters no change to pt, but they had some abilities additions.

Edited by Sersi

just pasting from dakka for yall

LOC/Kairos drop 20-35. 

Only naming the newer 3 powers for each. 
Tz: 
WC6. Reroll a single dice roll later during ur turn. 
WC5. Pick friendly tz daemon unit within 18". Until next psychic phase, +1 to wound roll. 
WC8. nearest enemy model wihtin 12, that model's unit and every other unit (friend or foe) within 3' of that model , suffers d3 MW. Suffer D6 MW, if power manifested with more than psychic roll of 12+. 

Nurgle: 
Wc7. Roll D6 for every unit (excluding nurgle) within 7" of caster. 4+ D3 MW
WC6. Pick enemy unit visible within 18". -1 Toughness. 
WC6 Miasma of Pestilence same as DG contagion but targets Nurgle Daemon. 

Slaanesh: 
WC5. Select friendly slaanhesh daemon within 18". 6+++ FnP 
WC6. select enemy unit within 18 visible. Roll d6 for every model in that enemy unit. on a 6, 1 mw
WC6. All enenmy unit -1 ld within 12 inch of psyker. 

As before the moment we can just 'deep strike' Daemons the largest part of my issue with them in the Index version is solved. Same with the bubbles applied.

With the above in mind I think the Daemon Codex is potent for a soup and like pretty much all others less so just as a stand alone Codex for non-Xenos factions. As usual though it doesn't really bother me because I feel Deamons add a wonderful strenght to CSM altogether or CSM add a wonderful strenght to Chaos Daemons ;) 

I personally think there are more changes applied as the above DakkaDakka post but all will still be in a logical shape. We know that the AoS Great Unclean One got many more wounds, I believe that the 40K variant will have a boost in wounds too (to reflect the massive size of the model aswell). 

Now Im still eager to know whats up with the Chaos Daemons cards. I'm also not counting out that there will actually be a little less cards as described. Prime reason being that it's easy to make a small mistake when you basically copy paste the description and add Chaos Daemons (GW has done it before ;) ).

In general I think there are enough tools for every Chaos God in here to have that sweet combo that appears with pretty much every Codex.

I'm absolutely happy with Khorne Daemons to at least arrive wherever I want them, even if it costs CP. As before though I wouldn't really have accepted much less ;) and at the same time still would say it isn't anything too over the top because there is a distinct lack in ranged support for them. Fixable through CSM. 

Another quick snippet from the Dakka thread:

Do note that most attacks even shooting are Strength User, so +strength buffs actually are worth something now. 

There is also a warlord trait for tz, with reroll 1s to wound in 9". 
Get reroll 1s to hit from a DP. 

S10 Exalted Flamers. 

S4 Tzeentch Horrors, Assault 3 if 20+ pink horrors. (30 horrors shooting 90 S4, with reroll 1s to hit and wounds, and +1 to wound) 

S5 Flamers. 

you can add +1 to wound .... quite interesting. Major shooting buff bubble. 

And no , there is no 3++ horror. 

FWIW, there are two more good generic strategem, 

1) you cannot reroll saving throws but it gives a daemon unit +1 to invulnerable saves. No better than 3++. 

2) when enemy psyker suffers perils of the warp, use this strategem, they take 2d3 MW instead of 1d3.

Stratagems that improve invul saves and perils against the enemy are interesting.

Another quick snippet from the Dakka thread:

Stratagems that improve invul saves and perils against the enemy are interesting.

Certainly! I think this codex will work out fine, as before though ideas that mono Codex' should have sufficient power to handle all kinds of armies though is something I do not feel should occur in this edition anyway. It happend with AM and I do not think GW will do it again anytime soon. What I'm saying with this is that Chaos Daemon armies, especially mono-god, will have enough weaknesses.

I don't have an account on Dakkadakka but am happy to see less complaints here. I understand every faction has it's fans but I believe with the Locus that most units and Greater Daemons shouldn't really get much cheaper anyway. As before, I feel Khorne and Slaanesh really empower infantry and Tzeentch and Nurgle's are extremely relevant for the bigger character, increasing damage output and attrition options is nothing bad.

Cheers,

Leak feels a little incomplete, as no note to the Slaanesh changes. Doubt Seekers are unchanged with the Locus being what it is.

Waiting patiently for the rest of the puzzle!

Same thought here, but with the first books around I guess we won't have to wait much longer to see the full picture...

Edited by DeStinyFiSh

Leak feels a little incomplete, as no note to the Slaanesh changes. Doubt Seekers are unchanged with the Locus being what it is.

Waiting patiently for the rest of the puzzle!

Well yeah....of course it's incomplete or else we would have the whole Codex got leaked already. :D

As a bit of a fair-weather Daemon lover, these all look very cool!

I'm a little confused by there being two separate things (Loci & Strat) that cause Nurgle things to do an extra point of damage. Maybe it's just simulating the old touch of rust effect. Regardless, potential D3 Plaguebearers!

Also the Relic that gives more Plague bearers is sweet as hell.

What comes into my mind right now:

If I understand correct we keep the Index psy powers, so we have:

- new Stratagem to increase damge to 2

- Locus doing 1 additional damage for every 6+

- virulent blessing for +1 to wound and double damage on 7+

So every wound you do is at least D2 (Stratagem), every 5 you roll is D3 (Locus and VB) and every 6 is D5 (D2 Stratagem; double because 6 counts as 7+ for VB; plus 1 for Locus) ?

If this is right, Plaguebearers will rip apart MCs and AVs even without any high AP attacks !

Edited by DeStinyFiSh

Well the Locus is only for units in range of a character so the Stratagem adds a bit more freedom to use on say Drones or Death Guard Daemon Engines that like to rush a flank.