Blood Angels Codex brief review

JamesI

But Lemartes I believe does buff the DCDN =)

I am thinking old school line advance with some Rhinos for my first codex army.

Similiar to the Khorne force in the TabletopTactics video.

Maybe better said as a hybrid of the two forces.

With fast movers instead of the Fiends and Capt smash instead of Kharne etc...

Scouts and Fire Support.

Points points points. Oh and I want Mephiston and Corbs in there...

Anyhow Dreads and Rhinos backed up with our new toys.

That is where my head is at right now anyhow.

Waiting on the book to point it all out next week prolly.

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

How is anyone planning on outfitting their VV? if using them at all.

I think VV will find a niche as TH/SS monster hunters or dual chainsword scrub clearers...even then DC do that second part well. Maaaaaybe independent MEQ hunters with LC’s, though Termies (especially Cataphractii) arguably do it “better.”

So yea. Storm Shields.

I was using them with Jump Packs and Lightning Claws as Company Veterans in the index. They will just go back to Vanguard Veterans since it sounds like our Company Veterans don't have access to Jump Packs anymore (according to this thread, haven't confirmed myself yet). Lightning Claws AND Jump Packs is a unique configuration Terminators can't match and definitely has a place in Jump Pack armies like mine.

Some people are mentioning Storm Shields but I'd rather keep them on the Terminators. 2W 2+/3++ is far better in my opinion since people can just stormbolter your Storm Shield Vanguard Veterans down, whereas your Storm Shield terminators will be nigh invulnerable to such low cost shenanigans

I was using them with Jump Packs and Lightning Claws as Company Veterans in the index. They will just go back to Vanguard Veterans since it sounds like our Company Veterans don't have access to Jump Packs anymore (according to this thread, haven't confirmed myself yet). Lightning Claws AND Jump Packs is a unique configuration Terminators can't match and definitely has a place in Jump Pack armies like mine.

Some people are mentioning Storm Shields but I'd rather keep them on the Terminators. 2W 2+/3++ is far better in my opinion since people can just stormbolter your Storm Shield Vanguard Veterans down, whereas your Storm Shield terminators will be nigh invulnerable to such low cost shenanigans

You can still play them as Company Vets with their Index Datasheet. Just don't rely on it staying that way forever.

I like my VV Sgt with the lightning claws.

Some mixed weapons/plasma/etc to taste for the primary role desired.

with only a few Storm Shields in there for those who are about to die/eat fire. Like a nice candy shell =)

Very flexible unit.

I think with new strats bigger is perhaps better.

I know from a different review that we got access to the non-primaris lieutenants in the codex. Any chance you could give us a brief run down on what equipment they can use? And can we take two for on HQS choice as well? Want to build a pair tonight after work...

Havent noticed anyone griping (or even referencing, mind you) the fact that DC dont get the banner benefit.

I would have thought this would be pushing most players towards vanvets as secondary assault elements.

By themselves vanvet=dc

Now if you want to use DC buff from Astorath/ lermartes with the dc strat you take them

If you want vanvet with banner it can work too. Lightning claws are always cool

Havent noticed anyone griping (or even referencing, mind you) the fact that DC dont get the banner benefit.

I would have thought this would be pushing most players towards vanvets as secondary assault elements.

Actually I've been wondering about this. Why can't Death Company benefit from the 5+ FNP aura? I mean, sure its a bit of a waste on them since DC comes stock with a 6+ FNP, but is there anything in the Codex that outright says DC do not benefit from that banner?

Actually I've been wondering about this. Why can't Death Company benefit from the 5+ FNP aura? I mean, sure its a bit of a waste on them since DC comes stock with a 6+ FNP, but is there anything in the Codex that outright says DC do not benefit from that banner?

The banner itself says it doesn't apply to death company. They do this because FNP effects stack these days.

Any good way to utilize a bunch of hand flamers? I have 10 Ashen Circle hand flamers left over from a conversion project that I've been itching to use for the Sons of Sanguinius.

DC with the pre game move strategem?

About the only way I see them getting into range.

Any good way to utilize a bunch of hand flamers?  I have 10 Ashen Circle hand flamers left over from a conversion project that I've been itching to use for the Sons of Sanguinius.

I'm honestly still not convinced of Handflamers. Even for just 1p.

It's one of those rare cases where the stats are so bad that GW can't balance it by reducing points anymore. I'd rather take a Bolt pistol.

Glad you brought it up, Morticon. I can see how they don’t want the effects to stack, yet I don’t see why it’s be an issue to pick one or the other. Even the WL trait stacks with FNP...why not just let you choose one or the other?

As for hand flamers...if they are 1pt a piece...you sill have to ask yourself why spend that over a free S4 bolt pistol or a free bolter. Really. It would be one thing to take a 15man DC blob with 15x hand flamers...but then DC can mulch chaff Units pretty well as it is.

I am struggling to see their value even at 1pt. Unless they because D6 hits or S4...

The hand flamer and a rapid firing bolter will be roughly the same against most targets given 'average' rolling. The hand flamer has a slight advantage against T3, bolter against T6/T7, but it's a small difference compared to other weapon options. Being D3 hits, if the hand flamer rolls for 1 hit it'll be worse than a bolter and becomes an autohit laspistol with half the range. On the other hand, roll a 3 and it'll be better against most targets with a significant increase (almost double) against T3.

You're paying 1 point for a bit more RNG. You might get lucky, you might get unlucky. If you're tight on points it's probably not worth it, but if you have points to spare or you want some fun it's no longer a terrible option after the points drop on models that will be looking to clear through basic T3 infantry.

I'd say the main weakness now is the range as you can't use it after deep strike and it will often be bypassed for overwatch.

Bolter+Chainsword DC have more versatility (especially from deep strike) but if you have a unit jumping into position on the board already and you're up against a lot of guardsmen or gaunts then hand famer + chainsword DC would be a fun unit to use. Not very versatile but fun!

Edited by Thoridon

I ended up looking at Goatboy's article on BoLS (yeah, I know) and he suggested the following list:

Blood Angels Battalion – 3CP
HQ: Sanguinor – Warlord (Using his trait to let the Death Company not have to pass Morale.  This can be good as it just means they have to kill the buggers)
HQ: Librarian with Jump Pack – Force Sword – (The Force Sword on a Blood Angel Librarian is going to be pretty gnarly – +1 too wound is just brutal on a -3 AP weapon)
HQ: Lieutenant, Jump Pack, Power Sword, Vitaes Artifact (Reroll 1’s to wound seems pretty good when you wound some things on a 2+-5+)
Troops: Intercessors X 5, Chain Sword (Strangely enough the Sarge for BA Primarius can’t take Power swords…)
Troops: Intercessors X 5, Chain Sword
Troops: Intercessors X 5, Chain Sword
Heavy: Hellblasters X 5, Plasma Incinerator, Chain Sword

Vanguard Detachment – 1CP
HQ: Lemartes (This guy lets you reroll charges, reroll hits, and gives the DC his Leadership.  Plus he hits pretty dang hard)
Elite: Death Company w/Jump Packs X 15, Chainsword/Hand Flamer (These are the unit that moves first.  The ability to throw out 15d3 auto hits with hand flamers is just nutty and a good way to clear out some bubble wrap to allow your other units areas to jump over and get mixed in with the enemy.  You could dump in some power weapons but this is the sacrificial unit designed to get close, get in the way and be a pain in the butt.)
Elite: Death Company w/Jump Packs X 15, Chainsword X 12, Power Weapon X 7, Bolt Pistol X 8, Powerfist X 3 (The Toki unit)
Elite: Death Company w/Jump Packs X 15, Chainsword X 12, Power Weapon X 7, Bolt Pistol X 8, Powerfist X 3 (The Skwisgaar unit)

The take home bit is the hand flamer being used for chaff clearance. It's not supposed to be used on deep striking stuff, it's all about those bubblewrap popping units like Scout Sergeants (assuming they can take them) and zerging jump DC.

Hi,

If possible can some one tell me the power points cost of the
Librarian Dreadnought

Furioso Dreadnaught

Death Company Dreadnought

or just even if/how they have changed from the index

I'm impatient and want to start building my all dreadnought army now

Cheers