Blood Angels Codex brief review

JamesI

So regarding things that infuriate me with our new Codex, Death Company currently can't use the Forlorn Fury Stratagem because they don't have the Death Company and Infantry keywords. This same typo was in the Index proving they just copied and pasted the entry over. :verymad: That will need to be FAQ'd.

Wait what...?

So regarding things that infuriate me with our new Codex, Death Company currently can't use the Forlorn Fury Stratagem because they don't have the Death Company and Infantry keywords. This same typo was in the Index proving they just copied and pasted the entry over. :verymad: That will need to be FAQ'd.

How embarrassing. Now the RAW people will have a field day with things.

I am thinking that is an obvious typo...

Anybody not allowing it isn't prolly worth playing anyhow. Dreadsock attack mode on somebody that RAW ... *engage

I wonder sometimes if GW does this stuff on purpose to leave themselves latitude to see how rules are recieved before they FAQ them later.

Speaking of which...

We are gonna need a FAQ thread for GW to visit. I hear they are planning a FAQ for 30 days or so after release of each codex then only bi-annual adjustments and Chapter Approved.

This DC thing obviously.

I would like them to clarify the successor chapter thing. - ie Counts as BA main chapter is fine put in writing by GW.

I would like to see Lucifer Engines FAQ'd. - I think it is obviously intended as a move not an advance otherwise what is the point ?

Gonna wait for my book in the mail next week to go too far down that path. =)

So my first impressions after a little thought..

Sanguinary ancient is a must take! Especially with the fnp banner.

He is basically a lieutenant on steroids.

Reroll 1s to wound within 6

Immune to moral within 6

5+++ within 6

2+ armour

Jump pack

Synergises with our warlord, getting rerolls to hit with 6 of warlord.

There are alot of buff characters for us to choose from... probably to many, but this guy really gives to many buffs to ignore

Completely agree, but Sanguinary ancient no longer makes immune to moral. Instead +1 leadership.

Of course, you can make the Sanguinary ancient your warlord and then give him the immune to morale warlord trait.

I think Sang Ancient + Sang Gaurd + Sanguinor + Sang Priest (with JP via Index) becomes the core of a strong assault army. It's a point sink, but it's a very hard hitting and hard to shift death star that is also super manoeuvrable. The +1Strength/To Wound/Attack paired with high AP and high damage per model makes them great. That's our anti monster unit.

DC become infantry / MEQ killers. Unleash rage power and black rage ability pairs very well here. Put in the DC Hammer Captain as explored above by others for big punch and to prevent overwatch. Chainswords are probably best here. If you have the points for another JP Priest (via Index) and Power Swords on all and they become nasty against better armoured units too.

Does anyone have the points cost for a deredeo with lascanons? Is it the same in chapter approved as the index? That could be a good unit to build an anvil / castle / fire base around. Especially with the +1 to hit stratagem.

So my first impressions after a little thought..

Sanguinary ancient is a must take! Especially with the fnp banner.

He is basically a lieutenant on steroids.

Reroll 1s to wound within 6

Immune to moral within 6

5+++ within 6

2+ armour

Jump pack

Synergises with our warlord, getting rerolls to hit with 6 of warlord.

There are alot of buff characters for us to choose from... probably to many, but this guy really gives to many buffs to ignore

Completely agree, but Sanguinary ancient no longer makes immune to moral. Instead +1 leadership.

Of course, you can make the Sanguinary ancient your warlord and then give him the immune to morale warlord trait.

I can’t seem to get my head around the sanguinary ancient being good now that I have found out about his relic banner only effecting models within 6” and thus models who are in combat most likely won’t get the 5+++

How are you guys planing on running him? Is he staying back with shorty units or jumping up the field?

I’m comparing him mostly to a priest +1 strength from the priest means we are wounding most things on a 2 with swords vs re rolling 1’s. The priest can heal wounds or bring back models vs 5+++ , usually won’t have any benefit the turn they arrive because the sanguinary guard will be out of the rangeof the aura in melee to far away from the ancient.

I’d love to here your thoughts guys as he is currently in my list for Saturday for our Christmas games day

1) Units, not individual models.

2) A 6 inch bubble is actually a decent size.

3) Even if he fails his charge you can daisy chain

4) Reroll to hit on an expensive high damage output unit is great.

5) An invuln save on your alpha strike unite adds some much needed survivability.

All in its a very good buffer unit (and has its own damage output).

5) An invuln save on your alpha strike unite adds some much needed survivability.

40kBA-Nov27-Boxout9bw.jpg

It's models within 6'', very restrictive.

keep in mind, you can still have those models be the ones to take wounds on first when the UNIT is shot at.

But how many models would you have back so that they get the benefit of the fnp? Any more than 2 and it’s going to have a very large impact on the output of the units cc ability.

Also if you Alloacte the wounds to the models at the back and they die you will most likely take the sanguinary guard out of buff auras of other characters like the sanguinor etc..

I think Sang Ancient + Sang Gaurd + Sanguinor + Sang Priest (with JP via Index) becomes the core of a strong assault army. It's a point sink, but it's a very hard hitting and hard to shift death star that is also super manoeuvrable. The +1Strength/To Wound/Attack paired with high AP and high damage per model makes them great. That's our anti monster unit.

Very effective but also very hard to use with DoA as most of the characters risk getting left behind on the charge. If you want to run this sort of DeathStar, I think you will need to jump it up the field behind vehicles or terrain for protection and aim for a Turn 2 charge.

Very effective but also very hard to use with DoA as most of the characters risk getting left behind on the charge. If you want to run this sort of DeathStar, I think you will need to jump it up the field behind vehicles or terrain for protection and aim for a Turn 2 charge.

This exactly.

Or you drop it out of retaliation range on turn 1 so you don't have to deploy.

Or drop in a Terminator ancient surrounded by 20 shooty cataphractii and Cataphract captain.

2+/4++/5+++ Will be fun.

Thinking of the master crafting on the captains combi plasma or thunderhammer, D3 overcharge or D4 hammer is fun.

Yeah I'm really considering a Block of Archangels to be the Anchor for things like DC/ SG also dropping trying to get an assault off.

They can land near any support characters to shield them too and if you (by some luck) make the 9" charge on the drop after getting off the Archangels strat you'll be laughing.

Agree, because:

1) Terminators are awesome

2) Lots of bolters can act as chaff clearance

3) Opponent has to dedicate resources to remove

4) Chainfists can do some work up close from T2 onward.

5) Chaff clearing good for T2 death co or Sanguard Descent of Angels drop as suggested in other threads by Mort et al. 

5) Terminators are awesome

I'd probably go with a mix of Catas and Indomitus for the teleport homer so the Indom's can jump back if something threatens them. 

Edited by Xenith

:( ouch. didnt realise that :/ 

Oh well!! 

:( ouch. didnt realise that :/

Oh well!!

That's literally ruined my day.

:sad.: ouch. didnt realise that :/

Oh well!!

That's literally ruined my day.

I really don't think it will be too big a deal since you can just allocate wounds to the models who are within range.

Even if it were unit, a 6" bubble is NOT that great at all, and if you're "daisy chaining" bodies to reach a character that failed his charge then you are not getting everyone into combat even in that unit. We don't have 40man termaguant units. :)

Even if it were unit, a 6" bubble is NOT that great at all, and if you're "daisy chaining" bodies to reach a character that failed his charge then you are not getting everyone into combat even in that unit. We don't have 40man termaguant units. :smile.:

Replying to the things he listed is kinda a mood point since they are based on the assumption it counts for the whole unit. In that case the two things you highlighted are actually viable but since it only affects models it changes a lot of things.

It's still not a bad relic tho. I'll definitely take it with my Primaris. Either sticking with my Hellblaster (very likely) or with my Aggressors if I get around to buying some eventually...which is not even a given since I want to focus mainly on Inceptors and Reivers with some Hellblaster and Intercessor support lol