Close Combat Monster (haven't seen this one yet)

9x19 Parabellum

Only issue now is kitbashing a suitably badass model...

At the risk of being branded excommunicae traitoris how do ya’ll like this one?

Matarno.jpg

Jump Pack? Check

Thunder Hammer? Check

Inferno Pistol? Check

Comes with a helmet, too, if you don’t like the head.

So... I had just typed up a post about reining in the horses somewhat after reading things like “one-shotting Morty” and such, and what with hiw that might only work assuming perfect rolls, no saves made and and ALL the support characters.

But then I did some number crunching. And it turns out that assuming average rolls and average support our angry captain CAN in fact one-shot a Wraithknight for instance (with the double attwck stratagem).

So, um, carry on :D

Yeah, best thing is that even if he gets killed before being able to attack a second time he can still attack once more with the other stratagem. :D

Well, a lot of thingd would probably rather back out of combat and shoot him in the face, but still, he’s not super expensive points wise and can’t be ignored. What I love most about him is the versatility and mobility. I’d be perfectly happy having him sit next to my firebase for T1 or T2 providing re-rolls, whereas a lot (most?) other combat monsters would be wasted there. Plus being able to rapidly re-deploy... what a great all-rounder!

I wasn't talking about the next round. Keep in mind that whatever you charge and don't kill with your first series of attacks is allowed to punch back. A Mortarion, Imperial Knight or whatever can hurt a simple Captain a lot. ^^

Oh. I guess I forgot about the whole “the enemy gets to hit back” bit :D

I'm just going to use a Deathcompany model and make it extra fancy. Maybe I'll even take a Primaris model and give him tons of Deathcompany bitz instead and pretend he's a Primaris but can't benefit from Primaris buffs due being Deathcompany now. :D

Only issue now is kitbashing a suitably badass model...

Oh. I guess I forgot about the whole “the enemy gets to hit back” bit :biggrin.:

Harkening back to page 1 and "Stop, Hammer Time"...

Greenstuff MC Hammer Pants - for that "U Can't Touch This" power...

Seems like something a better sculpting hand than mine should make. =)

Just a thought (I’m sorry if this has been mentioned).

I am thinking of running this setup but on a LT. Basically because I am playing more of a counter attack army, so adding the wound re rolls to my fire base is very attractive.

He loses an attack; but it’s only 1, he’s cheaper, gives the wound re roll, and accomplishes a similar outcome in most circumstance.

In this army I’m playing him less or a first turn missile, and more a strategic threat / counter attack option (obviously you retain the option to go ham turn 1 if there is something jucy!)

What do you think?

I think the lack of to-hit re-roll would hurt this loadout a lot and spending a CP to turn him Deathcompany just for him to stand around some shooty units feels like a waste as well.

You shouldn't play Captain Smash as first turn missile anyway unless you have a really tasty target you can actually reach and kill.

I’m not sure about that, I think it’s a toss up between hammer of Baal and Artisan, and in this case I think Hammer is better as it means a character (likely to die) isn’t your warlord.

In this case re rolling his own wounds is practically the same, since you hit/wound on 2s and are re rolling one set of dice either way.

I don’t see it as a massive waste, it’s probably turn 1 that he provides re rolls to shooting wounds, engages in some way turn 2 (moves out/wings of fire-decent).

In terms of CP, you give up 1 to give him black rage/6+ (which is decent anyway), and TH/SS is a reasonable setup for an LT if you use black rage on him or not.

All in all, I feel you are only really losing 1 attack, but gaining quite a bit of synergy with other auras/units.

How is it a toss up? You don't have to chose between them. You could take both if you wanted to. One is a warlord trait and one is a weapon. That aside that has nothing to do with what I wrote. ^^

I don't see his re-roll to wound being the same. With the hammer and the BA trait you have a much easier time to wound things than you have to hit things with the -1 to-hit modifier so the to-hit re-roll would be much more valuable.

The way you describe you want to use him is the same you could use a Captain. Nothing forces you to charge him into the enemy lines turn 1.

So far I don't see the point in taking a Lt. over a Captain for the job unless you desperately need to save points or you already have a captain for your firebase and you care more about having the captain there the whole game than having the Lt. there the whole game.

It just feels like you'd be gimping a pretty good character/tank/monster hunter for no real reason imo.

Firstly - you cannot take both. Artisan of War states that it cannot be used on a Relic of Baal. Otherwise, absolutely you would take both.

In my list I also take Dante, as such a Captain loses a lot of value since re rolling bits becomes redundant.

As such, Dante + a LT makes the shooting elements I have (assbacks, preds etc) a lot more effective.

I suppose in my context it’s a way of efficiently including part of this strong combo, but also accounting for synergy with the rest of my list. Is is as overtly strong as the captain option? No, In this sense I think it works well, and it is cheaper, which is nice.

Firstly - you cannot take both. Artisan of War states that it cannot be used on a Relic of Baal. Otherwise, absolutely you would take both.

In my list I also take Dante, as such a Captain loses a lot of value since re rolling bits becomes redundant.

As such, Dante + a LT makes the shooting elements I have (assbacks, preds etc) a lot more effective.

I suppose in my context it’s a way of efficiently including part of this strong combo, but also accounting for synergy with the rest of my list. Is is as overtly strong as the captain option? No, In this sense I think it works well, and it is cheaper, which is nice.

Ah so you are actually talking about the relic hammer. My bad!

The rest is very list dependant so it would've helped a lot of you had explained your situation beforehand. In a vacuum the Captain is clearly the better choice after all. But yeah I mentioned that already in my post anyway.

So in your specific case, yes the Lt would make more sense for your firebase of course, but it will be weaker than Captain Smash for smashing purposes obviously. I'd say test it out and see for yourself what works and what not.

@sfPanzer

There is a reason to get lieutenant if he is the «  second » character with black rage. Both of them would get reroll one to hit and to wound

I do agree if you go for a single DC hq captain is much better.

I wouldn't give two characters Black Rage. We are starving of CP as is already.

You shouldn't play Captain Smash as first turn missile anyway unless you have a really tasty target you can actually reach and kill.

I agree this is a build for a beta or charlie strike. You want your opponent to spread out a bit or to clear the chaff before diving it.

I'd leave the Storm Shield at home, bring a Combi-Melta. If you use him like a missile, the SS isn't going to save him from the return fire after he smashes something to itty bitty pieces, but a BS2+ melta shot before the smashing begins will maybe save you needing to have him swing again.

I think I'm probably going to go with SG nipple armor and jump pack+DC shoulders/legs, and the knightly-looking Mk.IV head from our tactical kit...just need to figure out where I've hidden my stormshields.

He doesn't really need a Storm Shield tbh. He comes with a 4++ already.

Edit: Ohhh looks like someone beat me to it while I was on a call.

Edited by Aothaine