Close Combat Monster (haven't seen this one yet)

9x19 Parabellum

Funnily enough, I had my first blood angels game and ran this sort of guy (thunder hammer captain with +1 damage warlord trait and DC stratagem) without having read anything on this thread. Great to see others have had the same idea.

Just been playing around a little bit with the maths after reading through the thread. I was a little skeptical at whether he really could one-shot Mortarion, and thought I'd run the numbers.

Surprisingly enough, yeah he should get the job done but it costs a lot of CPs.

Mortarion has 18 wounds. If you give the captain the 4 damage hammer (one way or the other) and then pop 1 CP for DC, another CP for +D3 attacks (assuming 2 is average) you should do on average 10 damage to Morty (7 attacks, 6.2 hits, 5 wounds, 2.5 unsaved, 10 damage). This means you then need to pop another 3 CP to swing again and bring him down.

It's a brutal unit to be sure, but assuming you're spending 2CPs to get him in to combat in the first place (either FF or DoA) that's a total of 7 CPs. Add to the above that it's risky and even one below-average dice roll can spoil the whole plan (eg you don't get 2 bonus attacks from Red Rampage or you roll a couple of 1s to wound, or your opponent uses CPs to make his saves.) I think it's a cool idea that will very rarely be usable (everyone I verse is pretty smart with bubble wrapping).

I verse Baneblades, Morty, RG and various MCs on a regular basis so I'll keep giving him a go, but will just keep in mind that even with 7 CPs he's no sure thing to take down a bigbadboss.

Got my new BA dice and did some rolling. Save to say even without any further buffing after the Warlord Trait and the Deathcompany Stratagem he would've killed most characters easily lol. Kind of devastating when even letting one wound through means instant 4 damage. :D

Funnily enough, I had my first blood angels game and ran this sort of guy (thunder hammer captain with +1 damage warlord trait and DC stratagem) without having read anything on this thread. Great to see others have had the same idea.

Just been playing around a little bit with the maths after reading through the thread. I was a little skeptical at whether he really could one-shot Mortarion, and thought I'd run the numbers.

Mortarion has 18 wounds. If you give the captain the 4 damage hammer (one way or the other) and then pop 1 CP for DC, another CP for +D3 attacks (assuming 2 is average) you should do on average 10 damage to Morty (7 attacks, 6.2 hits, 5 wounds, 2.5 unsaved, 10 damage). This means you then need to pop another 3 CP to swing again and bring him down.

It's a brutal unit to be sure, but assuming you're spending 2CPs to get him in to combat in the first place (either FF or DoA) that's a total of 7 CPs. Add to the above that it's risky and even one below-average dice roll can spoil the whole plan (eg you don't get 2 bonus attacks from Red Rampage or you roll a couple of 1s to wound, or your opponent uses CPs to make his saves.) I think it's a cool idea that will very rarely be usable (everyone I verse is pretty smart with bubble wrapping).

I verse Baneblades, Morty, RG and various MCs on a regular basis so I'll keep giving him a go, but will just keep in mind that even with 7 CPs he's no sure thing to take down a bigbadboss.

I'd honestly soften such huge targets with Lascannons or Plasma first anyway.

Agreed with what SF Panzer said. A single lascannon getting through morty (or any other LOW kind of thing), or a heavy bolter hellfire mortal wound volley, smite, etc., should tip the scales in your favor.

Even if he doesn't smash through, though...you're still trading a 114 pt. model for a 400-700 pt (depending on what you're targeting).  Captain Smashypants was born to keep arrogance in check.

Born for the WAAC. >.> That level of point trade-off is absurd.

It does require good amount of CP to use.

It is one of the greatest damage character but calling out WAAC because someone uses it is weird. He is just a plain captain with black rage.

These things happens all the time in the stories where they will furiously charge demons until they die in order to save the chapter.

Also a lot of players are excited to have a DC captain just because it is a DC captain.

Born for the WAAC. >.> That level of point trade-off is absurd.

It does require good amount of CP to use.

It is one of the greatest damage character but calling out WAAC because someone uses it is weird. He is just a plain captain with black rage.

These things happens all the time in the stories where they will furiously charge demons until they die in order to save the chapter.

Also a lot of players are excited to have a DC captain just because it is a DC captain.

I once had Lucius the Eternal kill a 6 man terminator squad and chaplain in 1 turn, and he's cheap! ... it was a magical mix of CP, situation and luck but damn... I hate that guy! Usually he sucks though because his tricks come in the assault phase... like captain smashypants. Edited by Jolemai

So, I was wondering- fluff wise, if a Captain gets overtaken by the Black Rage - his armor wouldnt be black right? Because if he goes all ragey before the battle starts (and has time to repaint his armor) they’d probably just stick him in the Death Company and he’d be a regular member of that unit. But if he’s still the acting captain and goes hulk just before T1 then his armor would still be red, no? Just pondering what color would be the ‘right’ one for his armor.

Yeah it honestly doesn't make much sense fluff-wise to have Deathcompany Captain. At that point he's "just" a more skilled Deathcompany member.

Imo you are pretty free about what you're going to do with his narrative. He could be a Captain that hasn't shown signs of the rage before deployment but it would be just as okay if he's succumbed to it the night before like most and now's simply a more skilled Deathcompany member who prefers to fight on his own. Or you go all special snowflake and make him your personal special character who got control of his rage. :P

Red would indeed seem the most likely and the fluff of the Strat seems to reflect it also.

Who is going to give sacred chapter relics to a known member of the death company for that matter also.

Falling to the black rage on the battelfield seems most likely to me. *yup.

That being said there is precedent for DC characters in existing lore already.

Your lore your models have fun =)

Red would indeed seem the most likely and the fluff of the Strat seems to reflect it also.

Who is going to give sacred chapter relics to a known member of the death company for that matter also.

Falling to the black rage on the battelfield seems most likely to me. *yup.

That being said there is precedent for DC characters in existing lore already.

Your lore your models have fun =)

To be fair even the most basic servo armor and bolter are considered sacred relics in 40k. ^^

I think the simple fact that there exists a cheap character who can one-shot Morty on a semi-reliable basis is outstanding in itself. Given how much conventional damage he can absorb, it may well be worth spending the CPs to take him out of the equation and let the rest of your army engage the DG unencumbered by his presence.

Morty is easier than some targets in that your opponent will alsmot certainly be advancing him towards your lines rather than having him hang around the backfield surrounded by bubble-wrap. Just watch out for Deathshroud though as they could spoil your fun, at least in Morty's specific case.

I just can't wait to see my opponents face when their Imperial Knight or Mortarion gets smashed by a puny little Captain for the very first time.... :D

So far the only LoWs we had in our group are Baneblades tho and our AdMech player just told us that he saved enough up for an Imperial Knight. Not sure I will be seeing a Mortarion anytime soon. :P

1) Psycho Tycho

2) Astorath gave Lemartes the Blood Crozius after he fell to the rage.

Loving this captain build, glad I magnetised my captains arms - didnt make TH options for him though. 

The great thing about this build is that if you don't encounter a single massive target, he can happily smash smaller stuff without needing to expend CPs. He should be able to smash up anything up to about the size of a Dreadnought/Rhino just with his basic attacks.

So, I was wondering- fluff wise, if a Captain gets overtaken by the Black Rage - his armor wouldnt be black right? Because if he goes all ragey before the battle starts (and has time to repaint his armor) they’d probably just stick him in the Death Company and he’d be a regular member of that unit. But if he’s still the acting captain and goes hulk just before T1 then his armor would still be red, no? Just pondering what color would be the ‘right’ one for his armor.

Tycho the Fallen gives us a precedent of a Captain falling to the Black Rage both having black armour, as well as being different enough to have him still as a separate character, rather than "you may upgrade one Death Company Marine to have a special combi-bolter and whatever the Dead Mans Hand is".

The great thing about this build is that if you don't encounter a single massive target, he can happily smash smaller stuff without needing to expend CPs. He should be able to smash up anything up to about the size of a Dreadnought/Rhino just with his basic attacks.

Agreed. One of the things i'm REALLLLY LOVING about this new codex is that I can be anywhere in the casual to competitve mode based on what stratagems I choose to employ. I'm generally the kind of guy that prefers a casual/low-power game.  At the same time, I like having the option to amp up if my opponent comes at me with guns blazing.  This codex (and this build of this particular character) allows me some measure to protect myself against the kind of person who would bring a daemon primarch to a 1000 pt game...but I haven't committed much in the way of points so I can still play a low powered game if I want.

I'm going with the precedent Tycho gave us. I kitbashed my new captain and am planning on having him in black, with lots of gold details to signify his pre-insanity rank.

That is a very nice combo of Blood Angel goodness right there !!

Makes me so happy we have some teeth finally. vv 

---

I also really agree with 9x19 Parabellum - I love the throttle aspect of this character (and our strats) for friendlier games.

#Use Capt Smash Responsibly =)

This thread is wonderful. It makes me want to play Blood Angels again (not that I ever really dropped the army but . . . Sisters). I’d need to convert up a model: I’m really liking the idea of a combi-plasma (because of the second shot, more chance of hitting one, and the flat 2 damage; when it’s just extra damage I’ll tak 2 or so reliable damage over a chance at a d6).

Could someone write up a recipe of some sort? I’m not sure I have all the steps exactly straight in my head and I’d like to see it all in one post :P