Close Combat Monster (haven't seen this one yet)

9x19 Parabellum

In our last codex i was working on a captain using a sang guard body and DC jump pack and hammer.. But now when he cant use artificer armor (again). I might just go with the lord executioner model with a DC hammer.  Never found a cool way to give him a storm shield though,:/. 

Also a twohanded hammer (from the Deathcompany box or the Deathwatch box) looks way more badass! :biggrin.:

If he has a one handed TH his other hand can be the finger pointing one, like he's calling out his shot. "I swear to god man, I'm going to hit you with this hammer like twelve times!"

Also a twohanded hammer (from the Deathcompany box or the Deathwatch box) looks way more badass! :biggrin.:

If he has a one handed TH his other hand can be the finger pointing one, like he's calling out his shot. "I swear to god man, I'm going to hit you with this hammer like twelve times!"

Haha nice idea as well! Tho you could do that with a two handed hammer too. Just because you need both hands to swing it it doesn't mean you can't hold it in one hand. ;)

I thought I already explained what Captain Smashypants needs in his offhand.  Clearly, some of you were not paying attention, so let me re-explain for the new comers.

If you have a Thunder Hammer of ultimate doom that can dish out 60+ damage in a given round of close combat attacks, the only LOGICAL thing to have in your off-hand is a chainsword for another attack.  Because 61+ damage is greater than 60+ damage. #BlackRage

Do you understand now? (nod your head "yes" or I'm going to honor-the-chapter your ass)

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

I thought I already explained what Captain Smashypants needs in his offhand.  Clearly, some of you were not paying attention, so let me re-explain for the new comers.

If you have a Thunder Hammer of ultimate doom that can dish out 60+ damage in a given round of close combat attacks, the only LOGICAL thing to have in your off-hand is a chainsword for another attack.  Because 61+ damage is greater than 60+ damage. #BlackRage

Do you understand now? (nod your head "yes" or I'm going to honor-the-chapter your ass)

My ass is ready. You're not my mom! :P

He doesn't really need a Storm Shield tbh. He comes with a 4++ already.

I built my D.C. Capt with thunder hammer and inferno pistol for maximum potential damage. I didn't want to waste that 2+ BS

I was thinking he'd have enough survivability with the FNP warlord trait to not require the storm shield, but I magnetized him just in case!

I honestly would go without SS as well. He still has his 4++ after all.

I built my D.C. Capt with thunder hammer and inferno pistol for maximum potential damage. I didn't want to waste that 2+ BS

I was thinking he'd have enough survivability with the FNP warlord trait to not require the storm shield, but I magnetized him just in case!

I'd leave the Storm Shield at home, bring a Combi-Melta. If you use him like a missile, the SS isn't going to save him from the return fire after he smashes something to itty bitty pieces, but a BS2+ melta shot before the smashing begins will maybe save you needing to have him swing again.

I guess another question would be tactical use. As discussed by several already, if we used a captain in this manner, this is likely a turn 2 or 3 strike. My question is this: Is the loss of that survivability worth the extra shots?

You loose 16.7% survivability by not taking the storm shield, but gain the ability to bring some form of Melta for potentially popping transports or helping to add on more wounds.

In terms of a hypothetical scenario:

Would it be possible that by having the extra survivability, you might force your opponent to split fire and choose between either (1) focusing on the captain, and (2) shredding your other units. Again, this is hypothetical, but would it be worth the extra points cost (in terms of the points efficiency of this captain) to help draw fire away from other units at mid-turns in the game? :huh.:

You guys clearly have more cooperative dice than me.  My captain smashypants needs a 3++ :-D

This is also a reason I would go Storm Shield.

I guess another question would be tactical use. As discussed by several already, if we used a captain in this manner, this is likely a turn 2 or 3 strike. My question is this: Is the loss of that survivability worth the extra shots?

The captain isn't going to survive long even if you bring him in on Turn 2 or 3. You really only need him to survive over-watch and if you're going to toss the relic jump pack on him you really don't need the stormshield imho.

If you are not going to take the relic jump pack the storm shield might actually be a decent item to help survive over-watch. This dude is a guided missile. If he lives to strike again your opponent made a huge error.

Edit: Something cheeky you can do is have a unit run up to him but not join the assault so you can limit the amount of fire going to him in your opponent's phase. Maybe something like company veterans decked out to be shooty. Just a thought.

Edited by Aothaine

In our last codex i was working on a captain using a sang guard body and DC jump pack and hammer.. But now when he cant use artificer armor (again). I might just go with the lord executioner model with a DC hammer.  Never found a cool way to give him a storm shield though,:/. 

Similar - have some pieces on the bench mixing sang guard parts, although might just paint it red and call it standard (nipple armour is default for all BA after all). 

The bit I am trying to work out is how to model magnetised options, given a number of the weapons are usually made to be left/right loadout. 

TH is generally RH, storm shield LH

Combis or storm bolter generally RH

Melee on the old commander sprues are usually LH (power sword, power fist)

Pistols on the command sprues are usually RH (although could easily steal some from the DC sets).

Think I'll do the TH/SS loadout first, then a combi (RH) & blade (LH) alternative - just means not having the option for TH plus combi at the same time. 

The more I think about it the more i like the idea of captain smashy paints and thw idea of takimg down something big like morty or a knight. I reckon hed make girlly man :cuss too. And if I face am opponent who doesnt have something suitably large, then I can use anothet warlord trait elsewhete in my army. I recon ill use him with a combi melta instead of a ss and if he dies after he has wrecked face then thats actually quite fluffy and an appropriate end to one suffering the black rage. What do people think about giving a captain the death company strat, the same warlord trait and lightning claws and pointing him at a large, multiwound unit like a d star made up of termies, blackknigjts, thundetwolf cav or evem opposing sang guard, this variant could be dubbed "slashy pants". Edited by tu_shan82

I honestly think the difference between him having a 3++ and a 4++ is so small that it comes down to personal preference. Which is a good thing because then nobody has to feel forced to take that one specific loadout!

Really disagree.

Ever seen an Iron Halo make save after save? I haven't.

Storm Shields will forever be passing though.

I honestly think the difference between him having a 3++ and a 4++ is so small that it comes down to personal preference. Which is a good thing because then nobody has to feel forced to take that one specific loadout!

Really disagree.

Yes I have. And I also have seen Storm Shields failing save after save. ^^

Gentlemen, surely ...

Only the mighty 5++ of the Crux Terminatus with little pieces of the armour of the Master of Mankind in it can stop anything ...

Or so i was told years ago anyhow by some dude... named Andy... I think *nod.

=P

---

PS - I agree with Charlo it's better, But I agree also with sfPanzer I hate paying for it so usually role 4++ as good enough myself.

Really disagree.

Yes I have. And I also have seen Storm Shields failing save after save. ^^

Statistically the stormshield saves 16% more saves.

It will absolute not make "save after save" without some luck, and when you start banking on luck, the halo can be just as good.

3++ is a lot better than 4++, but you have to pay points for the improved invuln save and the captain will still be just as vulerable to smites. As he is leading from the front, the captain will often be the closest visible target with regards to smite.

It comes down to points. SS, costs 16 for characters? Those same points might be an extra marine, or an upgraded heavy weapon. But it (SS) will certainly make the captain more durable vs any weapon with a -2 save mod.

So I know the goal is for smashypants to have as much hitty/stompy as possible but wouldn't it be kind of effective to give him a combi-melta/plasma or maybe a storm bolter or his master crafted bolter? Just seems like forcing a few more attacks verses just the one strength 4 chainsword hit.

Edited by Spagunk