Primarch's series: best so far?

Charlo

That Monarchia troubled him and his Legion? That he refused to use Detroyers because he was sick of tearing things down? That his idealism constantly struggles against his pragmatism? I mean, it's not about big reveals, but about characterizing the Primarchs, fleshing them out, giving them context and showing them, usually, pre-Heresy. Sometimes that's going to be their upbringing, sometimes about the way they interact with their Legions (which Fulgrim did too), sometimes about the things that led to their fall (Perturabo).

Guilliman showed his interactions with the Legion and his role within it, that he was planning way ahead to make them self-sufficient and was basically hoping for a time where he himself would no longer be needed, or making contingency plans for when he may bite the dust. It played off two of the pillars of Roboute as a character, his idealistic vision of how things should work, and his pragmatic realism of how things actually are. It's an exploration of the character within the confines of his established personality.

DC has really hit the nail on the head. I cannot put my finger on why but for me Lord of Ultramar is the most enjoyable read of the Primarchs series up to Bearer of the Word, I haven't got The Palatine Phoenix yet. In fact, it's the only book I've listened to more than once, 3 times to be precise :happy.:

I'm not blind to the books failings though, and they really don't bother me, but it does feel like what we got was an Abridged version of a larger story. It may have made for a very different experience if this had been given an extra 50k words of breathing room.

Edited by JH79

Does anybody more in the know have an idea when we might see Mortarions book? As far as I know Vulkan is the last one announced, but my search fu is always rubbish.

On topic, Magnus and Russ were very entertaining. I’m currently on Perturabo but would definitely recommend it at the moment as well. Looking forward to Fulgrim too

I don't think anything's been set beyond that. Ferrus just out, Jaghatai in March, Vulkan's title and author have been confirmed so he's -probably- next (and if so, probably around July). Beyond that it's anyone's guess, though we're half way done at that point, so Morty has a 1 in 9 chance ;)

Anyone got any guesses on titles for the other books? Mine are:

Angron: The Undefeated

Rogal Dorn: Blade of the Emperor

Mortarion: The Pale King

Alpharius: The Hydra

Horus: The Breaker of Tyrants

Corax: The Liberator

Konrad Curze: Night Haunter

Sanguinius: Angel of Baal

Lion El'Jonson: The First

Does anybody more in the know have an idea when we might see Mortarions book? As far as I know Vulkan is the last one announced, but my search fu is always rubbish.

On topic, Magnus and Russ were very entertaining. I’m currently on Perturabo but would definitely recommend it at the moment as well. Looking forward to Fulgrim too

I don't think anything's been set beyond that. Ferrus just out, Jaghatai in March, Vulkan's title and author have been confirmed so he's -probably- next (and if so, probably around July). Beyond that it's anyone's guess, though we're half way done at that point, so Morty has a 1 in 9 chance :wink:

Anyone got any guesses on titles for the other books? Mine are:

Angron: The Undefeated

Rogal Dorn: Blade of the Emperor

Mortarion: The Pale King

Alpharius: The Hydra

Horus: The Breaker of Tyrants

Corax: The Liberator

Konrad Curze: Night Haunter

Sanguinius: Angel of Baal

Lion El'Jonson: The First

I love "Lion El'Jonson: The First."

So simple, elegant, and (to me), summarizes so much about his character and personality: he is The First. Therefore, he is The Best. If only others would recognize that....

It doesn’t really make sense to call Lion El’Jonson the First since he was actually the fourteenth. That would be like when media outlets say some darling new musician is the first to do grunge when Nirvana exists. Is he a :cuss beast, a master general, one of the most brilliant damn Primarchs, and easily one of the most interesting of the bunch? Of course. The Lion is a classic AND a badass. His legion is the first and its cool to have them have their own dynamic because of it.

Angron will more than likely have 'The Red Angel' as it was his most common title. 

All I can say is, I really hope its going to go into Nuceria and take off straight after After Desh'ea.

While I'm no fan of Angron, I really did enjoy both ADB & Matt Farrar's take on him / The World Eaters and picking things up following After Desh'ea would be awesome!

If ADB doesn't get this (c'mon Farrar!) I'd especially love to see him explore Corax or maybe even return to The Lion for some more knightly goodness!

While I'm no fan of Angron, I really did enjoy both ADB & Matt Farrar's take on him / The World Eaters and picking things up following After Desh'ea would be awesome!

If ADB doesn't get this (c'mon Farrar!) I'd especially love to see him explore Corax or maybe even return to The Lion for some more knightly goodness!

Well if its the case it picks up After Desh'ea, we will have a great time with the first brother coming to Angron under the orders of the Emperor, in depth look into the nails when examined by Malcodork and lots of blood and skulls! I would like ADB to take him on, but Reynolds did some fantastic work with his post HH World Eaters, so there is some great potential with him.

I would have had the whole series as origins stories. It would have been a fascinating series and could have tied into future series going back to their creation.

Having not gotten my wish I really want to see origin stories on the following.

Angron

Mortarian

Conrad Kruze

Corax

Sanguinius

Alpharius

Horus

Horus will have to be an origin story. No battle book will be special enough as he has been covered so many times in the main Heresy series. I suppose Ullanor might work although if I was BL I would be making a mini series out of that campaign.

Edited by Punishing Pete

I'd argue we've seen plenty of Curze's origin story in Prince of Crows already.

Angron may get some flashbacks to his time in the pits, but even there I'd say we've seen the immediate aftermath of his extraction in After Desh'ea and the later return in Betrayer.

Corax had a bunch of scenes in Deliverance Lost and Corax about his time growing up, up to his meeting with the Emperor and him threatening to use weapons of mass destruction. I see no need to add any more when the key elements of his rise were covered this much.

Mortarion is bound to get an origin book, especially with how Guy Haley has tied things back to his adopted father recently.

Horus, Alpharius and Sanguinius would really benefit from it, though.

hey...if game of thrones can have twincest...i’m not gonna stand judge...

yeah, i know the horus is less clear cut, but i like that one black spot for him. less for the mystery ala alpharius, more because it was redacted and we’re just never allowed to know

Edited by mc warhammer

Agreed. Gav’s writing does not make me happy.

Also agreed that the alpharius novel better cover the actual twins. I don’t want any rubbish “ha ha it was just a normal marine” in it. Plus I think it’s about time someone tried to actually make the twins awesome because they are extremely underwhelming and unthreatening considering they are 2 fairly unique beings in a galactic scale of things.

I love Gavs writing style. My top BL author by a longway in 2017.

Alpharius book would have to talk about the twins and their life growing up. I imagine them playing quite a few cruel and devious identical twin tricks on people learning their cunning ploys, developing into adult tricks and plans. The twin storyline must be the central feature of the novel.