Primarch's series: best so far?

Charlo

• 1 month later...

ave dues mechanicus

I believe that the book/ omnibus forges of mars would be good if you wanted a 40k book to read though I am a absolute die hard mechanicus and mechanicum fan.the book does hove some of the funniest things I have read from the warhammer series in general in it as well as having a realy good story (in my humble opinion) I feel the book has the grim dark aspect while at the same time having some of the most funny moments from the beginning of 40k's near psychotic beginnings, (though from some of the descriptions it may no longer be cannon due to its descriptions of some of the skitarii)

I like Perturbo best.  I really love how the book was split into a 50-50, between a campaign during the Great Crusade that the Iron Warriors waged; and Perturabo's childhood, all the way until he met the Emperor.  Also, it talks about a major event for the primarch and legion:  The destruction of Olympia, which was the prelude for him joining Horus in the heresy.

When the book on Rogal Dorn comes out, I hope its gonna be a 50-50 split between His past/childhood until the coming of the Emperor; and how he first met Perturabo, waging war together and getting into a serious argument that would make Lion's and Russ' look like horseplay (which it kinda was).  And I hope Guy Haley writes it.

Just finished Lorgar. Boring as hell. Haven't read guilliman but this book is the worst of the series so far.

I hate Lorgar, he is my least favorite primarch, and there's nothing more I want then to see him dead.  

But I must admit, I quite liked Lorgar: The Bearer of the Word.

I appreciated the fact that the book was solely based on the primarch growing up, the entire setting restricted only on Colchis, and that it did not involve the Imperium at all; it is the first of its kind.  

​P.S.  It was good to see Lorgar get spanked.

I like that the Fulgrim one states that Guilliman is not popular with the ladies lol:

‘It has been said that the Lord of Ultramar sees little else besides the primacy of his own culture For him, all worlds might as well be Ultramar. I am well aware that I am being a trifle ungenerous, lord commander. But a woman can only hear the words ‘practical’ and ‘theoretical" so many times before she loses all patience At least your felinoids, rambunctious as they are can discuss something other than military theory or governance.’

I don't want to jump the gun but I think Khans is going to be a must buy :biggrin.:

Given Wraight's track record with the Scars, I'd agree :)

I'm also very curious about this line from one of the descriptions on the BL website:

"the Khan must choose between loyalty to the Imperium and his own deeply held mistrust of* psykers."

I might just not be remembering it, but I don't recall previous mentions of a mistrustful attitude towards psykers. If that's accurate, it'll be interesting to see how his view evolves.

*(actually currently a typo, "pf" on the website. Whoopsie :p )

Just finished Lorgar. Boring as hell. Haven't read guilliman but this book is the worst of the series so far.

Different strokes folks!

I loved Lorgar. Just out of interest, what type of 40k books are you into? What’s your favourite few?

Let's keep with the primarchs, for me it goes like this:

Perturabo

Leman Russ

Guilliman (just finished it, nice but not brilliant. For now the best portrayal of G)

Ferrus

Lorgar

Will elaborate later why I don't like Lorgar.

Guilliman (just finished it, nice but not brilliant. For now the best portrayal of G)

Compare to what?

I didn't hate Lord of Ultramar but Guilliman's appearances in Know No Fear and the Imperium Secundus books are much more interesting.

Compared to Imperium Secundus and Angels of Caliban. In these books Guilliman does not strike me as an analitical super strategist and great ruler but incompetent, moody and petty imdividual. In Primarch series book he's at least shown as a good general, you can see how his mind works and how he handles problems. True, book is nothing but a solid bolterfest but (and I'm not ultramen fan) still IMHO it has the best RG. I can understand different opinions of course :-) Edited by rendingon1+

Compare to what?

I didn't hate Lord of Ultramar but Guilliman's appearances in Know No Fear and the Imperium Secundus books are much more interesting.

Same here. Lord of Ultramar was a plain, adequate, by-the-numbers depiction of Guilliman but there's nowhere near the depth of his depiction in Know No Fear or the developing bitterness in Dark Imperium. Even Unremembered Empire, not a great book, built on his earlier portrayals through the introduction of Euten and the notes on his relationship with the Lion.

Lord of Ultramar was so dissapointing.

You took the one Primarch who wanted to be more than just a weapon, who was an accomplished statesman, who was more loyal to the Emperor's ideas than the Emperor himself and what did you do? Explore any of these complex and interesting ideas?

No you had him fight mindless Orks. Ugh.

The Nemesis Chapter was the only good part about that book.

You took the one Primarch who wanted to be more than just a weapon, who was an accomplished statesman, who was more loyal to the Emperor's ideas than the Emperor himself and what did you do? Explore any of these complex and interesting ideas?

Got it right here. Terrible book imo. I would rather read Emily Button for the millionth time

I maybe didn't dislike it as much as that myself, but I do think this is a good point. Of all the Primarchs, Guilliman is perhaps the biggest statesman and empire-builder, one of the ones most suited to a potential post-Crusade life. Yet his story was a fairly standard war against Orks, aside from the Destroyers (which I did feel was nicely handled).

I had some similar feelings on Magnus' story, though to a much lesser degree. It was a less common situation (evacuating a planet) and had some good moments, but it didn't feel like a "definitive Magnus the Red story".

Perturabo, Lorgar and Fulgrim's books all represent a significant up-turn in this series for me. They all take a unique scenario and use it to show us who these characters are and what defines them. They all have hints of their eventual fall, but without being too heavy-handed about it.

This is what I'm hoping for more of going forward. I haven't read Ferrus' book yet, I've been avoiding any reviews of it so as not to taint my perception going in, and I've never read any of David Guymer's stuff before. It's a good chance, certainly: naturally we don't see much of Ferrus in the Heresy, and this gives an opportunity to see just why he was so widely respected among his peers. Jaghatai's book is a pretty safe bet: the Librarius Project is an interesting idea and Wraight has yet to fail us with regards to the Scars. Vulkan's one I'm a little concerned for: It's good to see someone new tackling Vulkan, and I generally like Annandale's prose, but he normally does best with darker stories. Still, at least it might be good for building some character among the Salamanders, to see that almost obsessive self-sacrificing nature as talked about in the FW books.

The plot description for the upcoming Vulkan book by Annandale does seem to hint at him being handed-or choosing- another Ork battle scenario. Not that it can't work for an interesting framework for a primarch story, but i don't think it suited Guilliman and worry a bit about it here.

The plot description for the upcoming Vulkan book by Annandale does seem to hint at him being handed-or choosing- another Ork battle scenario. Not that it can't work for an interesting framework for a primarch story, but i don't think it suited Guilliman and worry a bit about it here.

To be fair to Annandale, FW Book II specified that the battle where Vulkan was reunited with his legion was against Orks, so if that was the event chosen to be covered in this book (which I think is a fine one to do), then it was always going to be vs. Orks.

Speaking of another book - Vulkan: Lord of Drakes - where Orks are the main enemy.  I do hope, that the Horus Lupercal book will be about the Ullanor campaign in its totality, set in the present.  Hastur Sejanus could be the main Space Marines character.  Then of course, the triumph that comes afterward, the gathering of nine primarchs, and the Emperor's proclamation, will have to be spectacular and epic.  Dan Abnett has to be the one to write it.