Luftwaaaagh: an Ork Flying Circus army blog

Smoke Frog

Looking great!

As far as flying aircraft carriers, the USS Macon and USS Akron where actual aircraft carrier blimps built by the US Navy in the earlier part of the 20th century. The lowered aircraft down underneath and would catch them using a "trapeze"- basically a stick with a hook that stuck out the bottom, which is very orky. Then the aircraft would be folded up to the hangar deck.

Those planes as so ambitious. I can’t believe you made 5 of them! You replicated some of the parts from the deffkoptas? What about the other bits? Madness! In a good way!

I really like your all star Ork nobs too. Some of each clan. It reminds me of 2nd edition Ork armies with all the clans coming together for the waaagh. You’ve now made me think of a deathwatch equivalent of Ork Space Marine killers. Veterans from different clans come together to form a super squad of Ork nobs. Da deffwatch! Which I totally want to do now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your compliments battle brothers. I have been neglecting my Orks in favor of lizardmen projects recently, but plan to return to the boyz soon. 

Looking great!

As far as flying aircraft carriers, the USS Macon and USS Akron where actual aircraft carrier blimps built by the US Navy in the earlier part of the 20th century. The lowered aircraft down underneath and would catch them using a "trapeze"- basically a stick with a hook that stuck out the bottom, which is very orky. Then the aircraft would be folded up to the hangar deck.

I was looking up these two the other day! Currently assembling materials for teh zeppelins still... but at least two will be named the Orkron and the Morkon (or maybe the Gorkon? :rolleyes: )

Those planes as so ambitious. I can’t believe you made 5 of them! You replicated some of the parts from the deffkoptas? What about the other bits? Madness! In a good way!

I really like your all star Ork nobs too. Some of each clan. It reminds me of 2nd edition Ork armies with all the clans coming together for the waaagh. You’ve now made me think of a deathwatch equivalent of Ork Space Marine killers. Veterans from different clans come together to form a super squad of Ork nobs. Da deffwatch! Which I totally want to do now.

An Ork version of the deathwatch sounds fantastic :biggrin.:

Most of the planes pieces were cast from resin, the wings themselves started out as bits of foam. But the main base of the models are all deffkopta bits with the "hellykopta" pieces redirected to look like the front propellers of the planes. I couldn't justify adding buzz saws though...

Battle brothers I have an important question: what size are ork nob bases in the new edition?

The old Black Reach nobz are normal 25mm bases, but I noticed the new shiny primaris are on larger bases now (32mm?), which makes me think nobz might get a base size upgrade in the new edition.

Ultimately I am thinking of transfering my nobz over anyway. I puchased a box of orc barbarians (savage orruks) and noticed they had the larger 32mm bases for some reason. I am planning to use most of the savages to make a Mordheim band (using leftover and self cast square bases), but the leftovers will become a small lootas squad (to be transferred onto 25mm bases), and maybe a weirdboy or two. 

Battle brothers I have an important question: what size are ork nob bases in the new edition?

The old Black Reach nobz are normal 25mm bases, but I noticed the new shiny primaris are on larger bases now (32mm?), which makes me think nobz might get a base size upgrade in the new edition.

Ultimately I am thinking of transfering my nobz over anyway. I puchased a box of orc barbarians (savage orruks) and noticed they had the larger 32mm bases for some reason. I am planning to use most of the savages to make a Mordheim band (using leftover and self cast square bases), but the leftovers will become a small lootas squad (to be transferred onto 25mm bases), and maybe a weirdboy or two. 

The box still comes with 25MM bases  but I have put my Nob on 32's but left my boys in 25's.

Bases are't really focused on very strictly in the rules so I would say what ever base you see as appropriate for everything.  I may put my lootas on 32's because of the space they occupy. (I'd put my grots on smaller bases if I had them..something like a 20MM... but that's just me.  

Ork bases have never been upgraded, despite most Orks falling off the 25mm bases they come on because their stances are so wide :lol:

Primaris are on 32mm bases because Power Armoured units are now officially 32mm. Only ones that are still on 25mm bases are older ones (I think mid 6th they changed it?). If the Orruks from AoS are on 32mm bases, I'd say go with those. Makes it easier. Yes, you can't horde Orks as easily on 32mm bases, but they look better and don't look like they're too large for their own bases :lol:

Thanks for the input!

I agree that the wide stances for most of the boyz makes it difficult for them to fit on the 25mm size... but as I already have 60 boyz on 25mm bases I probably will just go with that as the army standard. I will experiment with 32mm for the nobz though. 

Lootas and some extras are assembled and priming, so I took the time to completely assemble my five triplanes.

f7110cf52c25c746743bbf663b6d8dfe.jpg

Arms are attached, teef are painted, and googles are golden. I am already looking forward to making another batch of 5 of these when I get some more casting supplies. 

Also my sixth "triplane" has been spotted on the worktable:

a646841b14bb0f93384c9e56cb322bd0.jpg

Something a little different... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

A new one-of-a-kind ork flyer has joined the Luftwaaaagh:

e2f155c09e09e00e6be65699e11400e9.jpg

...rumors abound the battlefields of Armageddon of a  dangerous ork pilot. Quick in the air and a lethal fighting ace, the ork has been shot down numerous times by both Imperial Guard fighters and ground anti-aircraft cannons... 

...but despite landing behind enemy lines countless times, the ork has not once been captured nor killed. What is alarming about this particular ork pilot is his inexplicable ability to get almost any kind of vehicle or aircraft back into the air above the battlefield. This include not only previously downed valkyries or transport craft, but even vehicles that could never fly in the first place, whether they be trucks, tracks, or even tanks. The Adeptus Biologos has confirmed that this pilot must exist and exploit in some loophole of ork WAAAAGH energy that allows him to take to the skies again and again over our battlefields. Even now rumors abound of him downing our own aircraft, strapped to the back of nothing more than piles of scrap wood taken from the backyard of some poor unsuspecting techpriest...

Pardon the silly fluff, but this guy was fun to put together :wink:

He is made from a ork pilot body (heavily canabilized), plus an orc savage arm, and one of the cast heads from the stormboyz. I think that was where the bit of his scarf came from too. 

004fbd2213435f17ade3a733d1dd52fe.jpg

309cda7b62bf2070c463abaa383a842a.jpg

The new guy (da Snoopy Ork? No name for him yet) is a great new addition to the triplane wing!

f619cc7b1007a0a46cd89e4c8399bffc.jpg

Curse you red baron! (gotta add some smoke to the back of the doghouse to complete the effect!)

2d4c5497d1c809cf3e303c460d0c5bcc.jpg

Will the pilot be accompanied by a tiny yellow squig?

I will have to come back to Woodstock... alternatively as a tiny grot? :biggrin.:

Along with the doghouse ork, my weirdboy is also complete!

2a4474017030e6ee50f44996f51eaaca.jpg

Another shot of him before I affixed him to his base. Just normal savage ork bits for this guy, not much special other than his signs to direct the ork air traffic :rolleyes:

8742311038cc10dec20f6ae0e0e6aaf1.jpg

And in action!

f77a7e4bfb35edc87f6d6a13b93338c6.jpg

I imagine that this scene would look something like THIS, but with more yelling...

Finished my unit of Ork Lootas! (Snakebite Clan)

dac618f2fdfb77769bbfc283f1471e38.jpg

They are not necessarily "Luftwaaaagh" related, but I wanted something else on the army roster. Are lootas any good at anti-aircraft fires?

5b3d014a89e81f9217f52118ae0ce9ba.jpg

They are made from Loota weapon bits and bodies from the savage orc set. I have a bunch of other savage orcs leftover too; once I cast the bodies I will probably use some of the leftovers in other orky conversions. I also plan to leave a couple as straight up savages to work as Mordheim warband

26be79442d4e09e2b34fbc393174a3ec.jpg

Some of the individuals (they got names while I was painting them:

Pebbles and Muttonchops:

e029b3df1dc0a277e1ce291b2f7fea8e.jpg

back:

f17a523dc8e9cbb6baff692fa376baeb.jpg

Maniac and Monocle (the dude with the front sight-post over his eye :biggrin.:):

b2ef791a1107296f77ba1900577a8203.jpg

back (I thought it was hilarious one of them had a jerry can strapped to the back of the weapon! That's one way to fuel the weapon :wacko.:)

1fb8c646132c28ac71e92b716a7162a1.jpg

And the last one, Rambork and his ammo grot:

94500e2e704921c6ee4e6127b1b81ec0.jpg

back:

d24aa1448a149d612ef00a9fc42f2b19.jpg

Credit goes to this website (ZeListe40K) for inspiration for the color schemes. 

Only thing I did not attempt was white skeleton tattoos on the orks. I was a bit intimidated from trying them, any other orky painters out there have any luck with them? I have seen good blue tattoos before too. 

Really liking these guys. The Savage Orc parts are working like a dream. I'd say go for it on the white skull face paint. It will be very striking. As these guys are almost all green you won't have a problem with it not standing out. Done it on my warboss (and his squig).

The Snakebites on that website are Bruno Grelier's (RIP). He has done some AMAZING SnakebItes and Freebooters!

Really liking these guys. The Savage Orc parts are working like a dream. I'd say go for it on the white skull face paint. It will be very striking. As these guys are almost all green you won't have a problem with it not standing out. Done it on my warboss (and his squig).

The Snakebites on that website are Bruno Grelier's (RIP). He has done some AMAZING SnakebItes and Freebooters!

Good to know, I got a great deal of inspiration from his amazing work!

I will attempt the face paint soon... I will probably practice on my small band of savage orcs!

aa6843d4cd9b91efec90c0e824bdd8f1.jpg

Here is the whole batch together:

9d6b1eff7e18d0bf1ecacc249625d839.jpg

Very much WIP, but I had fun all day casting and assembling five more ork triplanes!

3bf3ac272a519e9ab2ad39807b09006a.jpg

I watched the movie "Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines" while assembling these guys. It was a funny old movie; even if it was filled to the brim with European and American stereotypes!

That's rapidly becoming a sizable airforce. The Savage Orc conversions are really brave. It gives your Orks a unique appearance. I prefer my Orks to be high tech, but I can't deny that the savage guys with the Loota guns look great. :)

• 2 years later...

Finished some Ork Burnas yesterday from the Kill Team box.

gallery_103048_16519_172015.jpg

Made some copies of the bodies; between those and my leftover savage orc bodies I plan to make a few more of these and lootas out of the box too.

gallery_103048_16519_182569.jpg

gallery_103048_16519_261602.jpg

gallery_103048_16519_318768.jpg

My favorite of the bunch. For some reason painting the little gas cannisters on the side of these weapons gives me so much joy :biggrin.:

gallery_103048_16519_253775.jpg

+ TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED +

+ SIGNAL RECEIVED +

+ BEGIN FEED +

"Oy lookee 'ere, seemz loyk I missed da Frog an' 'iz floyin' snake circus. Aww dem bright colorz musta squeezed by when- LEMME TEWW YA BRUTHA! DA HULKSTA DON' MISS NUFFIN'! DA HULKSTA SEES YA DER LEADIN' YA BOYZ INTA DA SKYZ LOYK ROIGHT BOIDS! BUT YA KNOW WHUT BRUTHA? Even da 'ighest floya'z gotta come back down brutha. And when yoo come down 'ere and set foot on da groun' YOO'LL BE FACE TA FACE WIT DA HULK CRUSHA BRUTHA AND DA HULKSTA'Z GONNA RUN WILD ON YOOO!"

+ TRANSMISSION LOST +

Edited by toaae

I thoroughly enjoyed those last transmissions, unfortunately my orks can't read :biggrin.:

Ork Lootas incoming!

gallery_103048_16519_201870.jpg

The Mek:

gallery_103048_16519_143356.jpg

The Lootas:

gallery_103048_16519_77469.jpg

gallery_103048_16519_143040.jpg

gallery_103048_16519_327193.jpg

Had fun wiring these guys:

gallery_103048_16519_315263.jpg

A few more snakebites Lootas:

gallery_103048_16519_265874.jpg

They match my previous batch of Lootas really well!

gallery_103048_16519_252046.jpg

In total we now have a merry bunch of 15 Lootas including the mek:

gallery_103048_16519_265109.jpg

And final group shot showing off the recent Lootas and Burnas as well as all the Nobs from the Black Reach set now rebased onto the larger bases:

gallery_103048_16519_1233713.jpg