Thousand Sons preorder January.27

Prot

Mutalith:

·         Damage table:   M 8”/6”/4”          A  4/3/2                Vortex power 2+/3+/4+

·         WS4+ BS4+ S7 T7 W14 Sv4+

·         Tentacle attack is S:User AP-1 D1, but 3 attacks instead of 1 for each attack (like knight stomp).

·         Claws S:User AP-2 D2

·         5++, regenerating 1 wound each turn, like daemon engines.

·         Vortex: at the start of the shooting phase. And need to roll a D6 for each power you use and consult the damage table. If the roll is passed, resolve power, otherwise it fails.

·         If 7 or less wounds, then range of vortex powers is doubled and it suffers a mortal wound if you roll a 1 when trying to use it’s vortex.

·         Explosion: on a 6+ each unit within 6” suffers D6 mortal wounds.

Forgefiend, Maulerfiend, heldrake, rhino, predator, land raider:

·         all the same as in CSM codex

Well not everything is the way I want to be. The warpflamers are certainly overcosted considering we have access to demon flamers we can summon in the codex.

I personally haven't got much use out of them. I'm thinking about reducing from 2 per squad of 10 to 1 or maybe none.

Relics

Seer's bane: force sword with Sx2 against psykers and things with 9 Ld or higher. meh. (can replace power sword too)

Dark Matter Crystal: known

Helm of the third eye: when the enemy uses a stratagem, on a 5+ gain a CP. AMAZING

Correscator: inferno pistol with 3 shots and d3 damage. rather good.

Anthenean scrolls: known

Prismatic Staff: force staff that allows you to shoot and charge after falling back. not feeling it.

So, 3 relics you want-the pistol, the helmet and the crystal, and the rest are unimpressive.

Magnus:

·         445 pts (30 more)

·         New ability – 2+ to ignore wounds from perils of the warp

·         Super smite is still D6, but 2D6 only on 11 or more instead of 10 or more in the index.

·         Reroll to hit rolls of 1 and 1s on the psychic test for friendly thousand sons within 9”

·         Access to all 3 disciplines

If magnus got the undying form, he would be worth it me thinks. Otherwise i'd rather go either for ahriman or a terminator sorcerer with the familiar and the high magister (Use that vilitch the curseling model :D)

Daemon prince with aetherstride is hilarious

Oh man. boon of tzeentch makes me sad.

The absolute best result (+1 to saves) is replaced by a meh 6+ FnP.

Guess they figured that with how easy it is for us to aqcuire the desired result we really can't get that option.

That said, the +1 attack result got replaced by +1 to psychic tests. now THAT'S a good one.

So if you got a spare mini-caster around, having him throw boons of mutation on your exalteds could end with GREAT results (heck, if they got the +1 casting trait you can have a regular sorcerer that casts like magnus XD)

Heck, a terminator sorcerer with familiar and high magistar can reach +3 to casting his first spell.

Stratagems (page 1 of 3):

·         Linebreaker bombardment (same as in CSM dex)

·         Great sorcerer (same as in CSM dex)

·         Fire frenzy (same as in CSM dex)

·         Daemonforge (same as in CSM dex)

·         Corruscating beam (3 CP) – if warlord didn’t move. Instead of shooting with his weapons, pick two points on the battlefield that are 9” apart, drawn an imaginary straight line between them. Roll D6 for each unit the line passes over (subtract 1 if character) on a 4+ unit suffers D3 mortal wounds

·         Cabalistic focus (same as chapter approved, 1CP) if psyker is within 6” of two other thousand sons psykers, use this power to get +2 to the psychic test for 1 power.

·         Relics (as usual 1/3 CP)

·         Killshot (same as in CSM dex)

Anyone else notice that Terminator Armored Sorcerers get +1 to cast in each phase for the first spell they cast in each psychic phase? 

He can have a "familiar" idk if the other sorcerers can. but considering I almost always run 1 Terminator Sorcerer....thats great! 

That + WArlord with +1 to cast trait AND Ahriman means LOTS of spell slinging going above stat.  Good luck stoppin that!!! 

Yea, it matches the kit, but just like the scarab sorcerer-nobody in his sane mind would. and its a rather dick move toward anyone who modeled them with just a sword based on the FAQ that said they can take force swords instead.

I've got to say, going over everything-its a rather big let down.

Rubrics got arguably worse if you were into the guns.

Scarabs hardly got better, and they needed to.

Practically everything pushes you to take princes as your HQs over sorcerers.

Stratagems are mostly unimpressive, a CSM port, or serve the "new toys" (who as you may have noticed by constant bickering on the web-not everyone likes)

The codex really is codex tzzangors in a way. it just seems that the most competetive TS build will be without ANY rubric, scarab or sorcerers of any flavor, just magnus, princes and mutants of sorts (MAYBE ahriman)

·         Blasphemous machines (same as in CSM dex)

·         Warpflame gargoyles (previewed 1 CP): at the start of the fight phase pick one of your vehicles. Roll a D6 for each unit within 3” of it. Subtracting 2 if character or vehicle. On a 4+ it suffers D3 mortal wounds.

·         Chaos Familiar (similar to CSM power) – select a thousand sons psyker from your army at the beginning of the psychic phase. Replace one of the psychic powers with a power from any of the 3 disciplines... So gives access to the daemon discipline and dark hereticus to the scarab occult/aspiring sorcerers. Or access to daemon of tzeentch discipline to non daemon prince sorcerers and ahriman. Neat.

·         Sorcerous pact (similar to the death guard power 1 CP) – when a character attempts to summon a unit of tzeentch daemons, roll 4 dice instead of 3. And the character will not suffer any mortal wounds for rolling doubles or triples

·         Veterans of the long war (same as in CSM dex)

·         Boon of tzeentch (similar to chaos boon 1 CP) when a character (but not a daemon character) slays an enemy character, vehicle or monster in combat

o   Kill the character, but Add a free spawn to your army

o   Add 6” to your shooting weapons (warpflame pistol or combi weapon for terminator sorcerer?)

o   Add 3” to move characteristic

o   6+ to ignore the wound (or add 1 to the roll if it has a similar ability already, i.e. 6+ fnp warlord trait from the rulebook)

o   Add 1 to the psychic tests you take for this character

o   Choose any, except for spawndom or daemonhood

o   -1 to hit the character in the fight phase

o   Add 1 to damage of all character’s melee weapons

o   Add 1 to character’s toughness characteristic

o   Add 1 to character’s wound characteristic

o   Kill the character, but Add a free daemon prince of tzeentch to your army

Same boon can’t be received more than once. If a duplicate result i rolled, choose a boon that you don’t have except for spawndom or daemonhood. If all results are already taken, then roll a D6 and on a 1-3 you become a spawn, 4-6 you become a daemon prince lol.

The spawn/daemon prince do not cost reinforcement points in a matched play game.

Yea, it matches the kit, but just like the scarab sorcerer-nobody in his sane mind would. and its a rather dick move toward anyone who modeled them with just a sword based on the FAQ that said they can take force swords instead.

I've got to say, going over everything-its a rather big let down.

Rubrics got arguably worse if you were into the guns.

Scarabs hardly got better, and they needed to.

Practically everything pushes you to take princes as your HQs over sorcerers.

Stratagems are mostly unimpressive, a CSM port, or serve the "new toys" (who as you may have noticed by constant bickering on the web-not everyone likes)

The codex really is codex tzzangors in a way. it just seems that the most competetive TS build will be without ANY rubric, scarab or sorcerers of any flavor, just magnus, princes and mutants of sorts (MAYBE ahriman)

Well hey, i converted 3 force swords into right handed options using duplicate force stave arms last week. Magnetized the arms and all. Had a thought that maybe i should wait and did not. Looks cool but useless now and im out 3 forcs swords but i am still being positive, i really like just about most of what i see.

But i understand though ive been let down by past codexes for other armies.

Good gosh now i want to go to ebay and get 3 force swords and magnetize them alongside the semantic arms.

Probably not needed but i like the option.

I dont know about you guys, but I feel GW screwed the pooch on the warp charge value on a lot of powers. Unless you run magnus, your looking at rolling above a 7 on a lot of powers that you wont likely get off unless you use cabal focus. And frankly not worth the cost. And once again, running an army without magnus and its torture trying to get some of these spells off. And still managing to blow up from perils.

Well not everything is the way I want to be. The warpflamers are certainly overcosted considering we have access to demon flamers we can summon in the codex.

I personally haven't got much use out of them. I'm thinking about reducing from 2 per squad of 10 to 1 or maybe none.

Currently considering getting rid of my 5 man squad. They're almost the cost of a squad of Tzaangors. I would have liked it if they did keep the high cost they'd buff the range to 12" and make TS the Warpstorm Firestarters of Chaos. At least discs are looking competitive.

The use I see is either a squad of 20 that dive or two of 5 in a Rhino. The rest would be Tzaangors, Boats, a pair of Mutaliths, and some Sorcerers.

Target the enemies character with your MW psychic powers, tie up the enemy with goats, boat over to backfield, and run the Rhino up to unload your firebase when people start to fallback.

Last page of stratagems:

·         Webway infiltration (1/3 CP): 1 or 2 thousand sons infantry units can deep strike. Can only use this Once per battle.

·         Soul flare (1CP) when aspiring sorcerer or a scarab occult sorcerer is slain, roll a D6 for each enemy unit within 6” of him, and subtract 2 if that unit is a character or a vehicle. On a 4+ that unit takes a mortal wound.

·         Fated mutation (1CP): use in the fight phase before a tzeentch chaos spawn unit attacks in combat, choose the result of their table instead of rolling and re-roll the number of attacks they get.

·         Vengeance for prospero (1CP): in the fight phase select a thousand sons unit in combat. If targeting Space Wolves, death to the false emperor triggers on a 4+ instead of a 6+

·         Cycle of slaughter (2CP): fight again with a unit of tzaangors at the end of the fight phase.

·         Flesh change (1CP): kill a character and spawn a free tzeentch spawn within 6”.

·         Inferno Bolts (1CP): Use the stratagem pre battle. Choose a thousand sons vehicle. Select a combi-bolter/melta/flamer/plasma or heavy bolter/twin heavy bolter and upgrade the bolter’s AP to -2 for the duration of the battle.

·         Baleful vortex (1CP): After you resolve a mutalith power, roll a D6 and use the rolled power automatically. (so an extra mutalith power that is automatically manifested)

I like Baleful Vortex for sure, cheap an easy. Soulflare very situational but migjt be cool way to go if your losing horribly or winning handily. Likenthe inferno bolters on vehiciles as well. Lots of cool flavor.

I am really curious to see what everyone come up with.

I am keeping warpflamers to 2 per 10 man if needed. Maybe 5 man flamer in narrative play.

Last page of stratagems:

· Webway infiltration (1/3 CP): 1 or 2 thousand sons infantry units can deep strike. Can only use this Once per battle.

· Soul flare (1CP) when aspiring sorcerer or a scarab occult sorcerer is slain, roll a D6 for each enemy unit within 6” of him, and subtract 2 if that unit is a character or a vehicle. On a 4+ that unit takes a mortal wound.

· Fated mutation (1CP): use in the fight phase before a tzeentch chaos spawn unit attacks in combat, choose the result of their table instead of rolling and re-roll the number of attacks they get.

· Vengeance for prospero (1CP): in the fight phase select a thousand sons unit in combat. If targeting Space Wolves, death to the false emperor triggers on a 4+ instead of a 6+

· Cycle of slaughter (2CP): fight again with a unit of tzaangors at the end of the fight phase.

· Flesh change (1CP): kill a character and spawn a free tzeentch spawn within 6”.

· Inferno Bolts (1CP): Use the stratagem pre battle. Choose a thousand sons vehicle. Select a combi-bolter/melta/flamer/plasma or heavy bolter/twin heavy bolter and upgrade the bolter’s AP to -2 for the duration of the battle.

· Baleful vortex (1CP): After you resolve a mutalith power, roll a D6 and use the rolled power automatically. (so an extra mutalith power that is automatically manifested)

Yay Inferno Bolts! Spend 3 CP on a Sicaran and keep casting Weaver and Temporal on it! Be the life of the party!

LOL. Impractical, but STUNNING when it works.

Helbrute with two fists/bolters might be kinda frightening. Contemptor with dual twin HB's could be savage for 2CP.

Based on reviews I've seen, Exalted Sorcerers and Aspiring Sorcerers are stuck with Force Staff again.

Since most of my aspiring are the old metal guy with a sword, that's annoying as heck.

Archived