Thousand Sons preorder January.27

Prot

It just tells you to replace the spell from one of any of the three lists

HOWEVER, it seems like a decent two-week FAQ candidate that you could only switch to a table you can normally take from.

They never FAQd the CSM one that allowed us to change smite on aspiring sorcerers for a dark hereticus spell

No Rubric or Scarab Specific Strategems? What the hell GW. we are literally the *ONLY* units in the game that I am aware of that dont have a unique strategem beyond the generic (but great admittedly) VOTLW for our FACTION SPECIFIC ELITE UNITS.  thats a dick move by GW, completely unfair when tzaangors got one anywho, couldnt do one for "all is dust" models?

Death Guard don't get a terminators/marines stratagem either. CSM don't get a terminator specific stratagem either, nor do non BA/DA marines.

No Rubric or Scarab Specific Strategems? What the hell GW. we are literally the *ONLY* units in the game that I am aware of that dont have a unique strategem beyond the generic (but great admittedly) VOTLW for our FACTION SPECIFIC ELITE UNITS. thats a dick move by GW, completely unfair when tzaangors got one anywho, couldnt do one for "all is dust" models?

Death Guard don't get a terminators/marines stratagem either. CSM don't get a terminator specific stratagem either, nor do non BA/DA marines.

I certainly don't expect us to be treated all that different from other power armor factions, we still look good though, I'm excited.

No Rubric or Scarab Specific Strategems? What the hell GW. we are literally the *ONLY* units in the game that I am aware of that dont have a unique strategem beyond the generic (but great admittedly) VOTLW for our FACTION SPECIFIC ELITE UNITS. thats a dick move by GW, completely unfair when tzaangors got one anywho, couldnt do one for "all is dust" models?

Eh? BA got strike of the archangels. That is a terminator spesific stratagem

Edit: my bad. Did not read the post well enough

Being able to teleport a rubricae blob TWICE, buffing them with Veterans of the Long War, and giving their now more reasonably costed psychic commanders relevant spells to cast... We're fine.

Fine, for sure, though are there any other legion/chapter/fleet/etc. traits that are as singular in purpose as TS? Hell, the inferno bolt Strategem could have been a legion trait and it would have provided a boost to numerous selections and made Tzaangor pistols/chainsword a contender for selection.

All anyone is saying is that we're Grey Knights of Chaos. Not as bad off as GK, but you can clearly see GW didn't know what to do with these factions as they were. It's a problem with Elite type factions in general.

Again, TS fans at the core aren't unhappy because we got a bunch of goats for our faction and a warp beast. TS fans at the core are disappointed because there was one legion trait that applies to only Psykers that augments only range, and because the Rubric was ignored.

Edit: Helm of Third Eye is mandatory for sure.

Being able to teleport a rubricae blob TWICE, buffing them with Veterans of the Long War, and giving their now more reasonably costed psychic commanders relevant spells to cast... We're fine.

Fine, for sure, though are there any other legion/chapter/fleet/etc. traits that are as singular in purpose as TS? Hell, the inferno bolt Strategem could have been a legion trait and it would have provided a boost to numerous selections and made Tzaangor pistols/chainsword a contender for selection.

All anyone is saying is that we're Grey Knights of Chaos. Not as bad off as GK, but you can clearly see GW didn't know what to do with these factions as they were. It's a problem with Elite type factions in general.

Again, TS fans at the core aren't unhappy because we got a bunch of goats for our faction and a warp beast. TS fans at the core are disappointed because there was one legion trait that applies to only Psykers that augments only range, and because the Rubric was ignored.

Well said; I am overall happy about the codex..... but there are some *Definite* design issues that will hold it back from being a top-tier well written book both from a rules and a more practical approach to modern 8th 40k list design. 

Part of that decision was money, GW wants to take advantage of the AOS models being sold in 2 systems, which I totally understand and I actually love those models so for me its less of an issue, but the unnecessary omissions are incredibly annoying and their are a handful of design choices that I find infuriating. 

My list from the INDEX while on the backfoot could very well hold its own against  most lists (guard and ad mech competitive lists not withstanding) 

Strongly, but respectfully disagree with you, and I'm a TS fan as well, so you shouldn't claim that you represent all of us any more than I do.

Perhaps this is because of high expectations. I simply assumed we would be treated like the Mechanicus codex or most of the other codexes, while others expected the full Death Guard treatment, and as such got disappointed?

I expected little more than a repackaging of the indexes, like most of the codexes have been so far, with a few flavorful stratagems that would make us a bit more flexible and viable. Adding the tzaangor models into the codex makes sense, just like it made sense to merge the Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus units into a single codex. I certainly didn't expect any new models or anything.

If all of this sense of anticlimax is because we got a faction bonus buffing our psykers, then I don't know what to tell you. The rubricae got a ton of buffs in the codex, and I intend to use them and my lovingly converted Scarab Occult a lot in the future.

So i could not quite tell did exalted sorcerers, aspiring lose force swords options or do they take to replace pistols or take to replace staves?

Thanks!

Looks like they lost force swords, but gained the ability to take a power sword (I think replacing the pistol so you would have force staff and power sword)

I said from the first reveal game, and some people jumped on me... but I still stand by it. Being a 'tweener codex without any new units made for too much emphasis on the Tzaangors.

I've always been fine with the Tzaangors, have played more of them than most people since day one. (I go to the store, and people tease me for being the goat man... I've not seen anyone take them as much as me.)

This codex certainly emphasizes the AoS line. There are 'good' highlights for the Thousand Sons, but as many of you have already pointed out, they really didn't go into much depth for the Astartes core. Inevitably I think a potent Thousand Sons army will be forced to leverage AoS now, where in 7th I took them for some help while others chose Horrors.

I think now that we know a lot more, I still feel more or less the same. I really hate saying this but there does seem to be a lot of opportunity missed.... not just with existing units but such a simple thing like adding a new character ala Brother Captain NDK in the form of  an ancient Psychic helbrute/Dread. What a fun unit that could have been, without having to go into Forgeworld (which is a controversy all its own.)

I'm okay with the codex. I always respected GW has to be careful with psychic armies, but my issues don't come from the Psychics. You guys already said it all about the Rubrics/Scarabs/lack of Strats etc... I won't repeat it, just suffice to say I agree.

Pluses for me:

- Magnus looks playable with Thousand Sons! And since he went up, I think he seems quite fair in an 'aware' meta (where I guarantee I will lose him T1 a fair amount.)

- Ahriman. He's just a solid character (I still don't know his points though.)

- Scarab Occult. These guys aren't as valuable since there are other ways of getting around the board now. BUT they are for fun games, and not.. unplayable. 

- Rubrics. Although left in the dust, perhaps their best boost comes indirectly from not requiring a transport?

- Exalted. I REALLY love these models so much... I'm happy that they are all +1 to hit Aura's and essentially make me feel I can run my own fluffy Cabal's, and they are still valid.

- Healing D3 from a Psychic power. No one's really saying a ton on this, but I love it.

- LOVE stealing command points. I'm sure you're sick of me saying it. I've been asking for it... it's here, it's an automatic, fluffy, fun option for me.

Uncertain times:

- I really don't know how much deeper down the AoS hole I want to go. I love my existing 30 Tzaangors, but that's really as far as I wanted to go. I hope I'm not handicapping myself too much by doing so.

- Vehicles overall. The strats aren't there for me. The rules don't really help them. I can see me not really using my: Landraider, Predator, Rhino's, Helbrute.... really ever. I can see adding 2 Maulerfiends now. (again.. uncertain)

Considering the amount of CPs my opponents spend when they play me I think the helm is an auto include for me.

Totally agree, even if your opponent just has the standard 6 that still stat wise going to be 2 you gain during the game. 

Which even IF you spent a point to gain a second relic; pays itself and pays a dividend barring bad luck every single roll. Even if you get only ONE you still make back your investment. 

Its an auto-include in most lists. Ironically despite all the belly-aching across the internet and lamentations of the Sons players (ironic considering the subject matter in question)  I think that Rubrics and Scarab Occult both have defined places in our lists.  Vets of the Long War fixes some major issues either unit had, and rubrics no longer require a Rhino if you dont want it. 

Ahriman got better and he is the same points.

Not really, he didnt?

the aura swap is a wash. can't tell for sure what's the superior aura beween old and new.

The trait is, a fixed trait. its a decent trait, but its a loss of versatility, and its not the best trait by a longshot, heck I'd even put it as the forth trait, being above only magnus trait and the CA one.

maybe third, above undying form.

But high magistar is the best by a longshot for exalted (and if ahriman/magnus could take it), and eatherstride is a powehouse for a prince, especially if the prince has the crystal.

So, ahriman will never get that 3++ as he'll never be warlord.

Im willing to get 9 enlightened, 2 shaman and a vortex. I have 40 tzangoors so...

On Seers Bane does it replace your stave i am assuming?

Replaces a sword (either power or force)

I

m

willing to get 9 enlightened, 2 shaman and a vortex. I have 40 tzangoors so...

On Seers Bane does it replace your stave i am assuming?

Ahriman is better then he was. by far for same points cost. 

The warlord traits nice when he is the warlord, a base 3++ is pretty great. But as you said there are certain things that are just better; the +1 to cast warlord trait will basically always find its way onto an exalted or a prince, or the 3++ with a prince is also great. (to be fair 4 of our 6 are just great period) 

The aura isnt a "wash" when we have shooting units that will not require a daemon prince to babysit anymore, THIS aura effects "all" thousand sons units, not JUST infantry. So every model nearby (Engines, mutalith, tzaangors, scarab occult, rubricae) benefits regardless of unit type.  The old aura was infantry only excluding themselves from their old aura if on a bloody disc!  

Ahriman gets both lores (excluding daemons AFAIK) so you can stack mortal wound-sniper powers on him, he may as well have the sniper rule in here somewhere with all that direct-able damage. Or stack utility on him and have % better chance of getting everything you need off at greater distances.  that +6 range is fantastic when utilized, we can out-zone some lists, and buff things farther away so you dont have to put him in quite as dangerous placement for optimal spell ranges. 

I mean I'm not here to argue but if you can't see the value of Ahriman's new Aura then I would look into it a bit more since it is no longer restricted to just infantry or when an enemy hits you.

^_^

Heck, just make an Exalted the Warlord instead of Ahriman and you can have TWO guys that cast with a +1 bonus.

Archived