Angelus no more... Malevolence is Now!

Charlo

So we'll be getting Malevolence in the first half of 2019 if we're lucky?

I kinda don't care when it comes out, as long as we can know when it comes out in advance notice...

...I've been cleared for one trip to Warhammer World for something and the IX Legion's orbital drop is when i'm going!

• 1 month later...

According to this...

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/06/horus-heresy-book-8-malevolence-debut.html

the WS section of Malevolence will focus on the "shadow campaign" in Chondax

An official Ork-hunting assignment given by Horus does not qualify as a "shadow campaign", so I believe this definitely means AL manipulation and assassination of White Scars operating in Chondax?

Shiban was clueless about this until Phemus, and in Chondax, the Khan showed no sign of awareness regarding AL efforts to undermine his forces.

Really interested in how this narrative could be spun.

Shiban was clueless about this until Phemus, and in Chondax, the Khan showed no sign of awareness regarding AL efforts to undermine his forces.

Really interested in how this narrative could be spun.

I guess that suggests we know the outcome of this shadow campaign: any individual groups of WS that did fight back against the Alpha Legion manipulation and assassination in the Chondax were isolated and killed without raising the alarm to the wider legion. The WS dudes killed on Phemus in The Serpent Beneath and then discovered by Shiban in Scars were probably not the only ones, just the only ones discovered.

Perhaps one of the unfortunate side effects of the Khan giving his legin so much free reign. If you have many WS units off doing their own thing and not 'reporting in', they're that much easier for prepared AL strike forces to take by surprise and quietly wipe out.

Given the events of The Serpent Beneath though, I'd be willing to bet that we'll see AL vs AL conflicts. This is where their intra-legion civil war starts picking up.

@ Sandlemad

I think one conjecture is that the loyalist AL are going after pro-Horus WS lodge members, the traitor AL are going after loyalist WS, and the two AL sides are going after each other.

I'm trying to think of a non-convoluted way to have a WS band defeat an AL strikeforce but not report the matter to the Khan...

They could be pro-Horus WS that have been kept in the dark about their erstwhile allies (even Hasik didn't seem to be 100% sure of what they were doing when talking to their traitor contact through the warp-thing) and don't know if reporting this back to the Khan would endanger the conspiracy.

Or there's the good old trapped behind warpstorms excuse, where they might not able to reunite with the main body of the legion before the Khan blasts off to Prospero. They might defeat the AL strikeforce but still be trapped and incommunicado behind the AL-created warp turbulence until it's too late.

I like either idea

It seems that two constraints are (1) these have to be small-scale engagements and (2) AL have to win almost every time to effectively cover up.

Not much variety...but FW might be able to spin it better than I

Depending on Alpha Legion mission objectives, always being able to cover up doesn't necessarily mean they succeeded. For example, infiltrating a squad so the marine can infiltrate up the ranks or specific facilities. If the infiltrator is discovered the squad will be eliminated before it can report it's discovery, but the long term objective has still failed.

@ Sandlemad

I think one conjecture is that the loyalist AL are going after pro-Horus WS lodge members, the traitor AL are going after loyalist WS, and the two AL sides are going after each other.

I'm trying to think of a non-convoluted way to have a WS band defeat an AL strikeforce but not report the matter to the Khan...

I REALLY like this idea!

@ Sandlemad

I second what Charlo said, i really hope this is what we'll get in Malevolence!

Hahaha that’s a good one b1soul!

That’s just when they’ll announce that Malevolence isn’t a thing and it’ll just be a half assed blood angel legion entry only :( maybe the whole HH line will be LCTB by then.

Where’s the Eddie Murphy meme when you need it?

“You don’t have to make a book for a game that doesn’t have models!”

That’s just when they’ll announce that Malevolence isn’t a thing and it’ll just be a half assed blood angel legion entry only :( maybe the whole HH line will be LCTB by then.

Exactly. That's why the showed the new Blood Angels and Alpha Legion miniatures today because the hh is dead.

@ Charlo

"It's going to be the inspiration for the new "Centurion" inspired ruleset, for playing smaller games in the heresy with lower level characters etc."

I missed this bit of info...then it does seem guaranteed that AL vs. WS shadow encounters will be the subject of Malevolence's WS section. BA get a massive set-piece, whereas WS get something more on a micro scale. Variety is good.

Chondax has to be about AL vs. WS, right? HH won't be covering Orks.

I missed this bit of info...then it does seem guaranteed that AL vs. WS shadow encounters will be the subject of Malevolence's WS section. BA get a massive set-piece, whereas WS get something more on a micro scale. Variety is good.

Chondax has to be about AL vs. WS, right? HH won't be covering Orks.

correct. Presumably, the Alpha Legion will also be dicking around with the Space Wolves, and some of the Sisters of Silence who seem to be there to deal with Ork psykers.

That’s just when they’ll announce that Malevolence isn’t a thing and it’ll just be a half assed blood angel legion entry only :sad.: maybe the whole HH line will be LCTB by then.

:facepalm: :rolleyes:

That’s just when they’ll announce that Malevolence isn’t a thing and it’ll just be a half assed blood angel legion entry only :sad.: maybe the whole HH line will be LCTB by then.

:facepalm: :rolleyes:

That's Roll safe not Eddie murphy.

At a previous event they said the Keshig would be different from in the novels - they'd be Cataphractii Terminators who act as a distraction unit. Not sure why they'd reuse the Keshig name (what the Mongols called their royal bodyguards).

The Age of Darkness podcast had Pendraig (sp?) on as their event correspondent. He confirmed that no, they won't do orks. He also said there was no longer room for the Space Wolves to get the coverage they were originally going to get. They may still be mentioned with a color plate or two, but don't expect rules.

Regarding the AL vs. WS battles going unrecorded... aside from the obvious possibility that the White Scars always get wiped out, there's the chance that the AL are dressed up as members of the Vth. Or that the Scars who are aware of the battles keep quiet about it because they're ‌in on Hasik's plan to get Jaghatai Khan to join Horus against the Emperor.

I still would've preferred to see the larger (but still ZM) battles aboard the WS fleet above Prospero. It's a little difficult to imagine that they'll cover that battle at all now, since it happens so close to the beginning of the Heresy. It'd be kinda crazy to cover Thramas and Sarum in book 9, then the start of the Martian Civil War in book 10, and STILL be at the beginning. Not that I'd mind... I'd just be surprised.

Archived