<Blackthorn>

+You have done well taking up my challenge to be a leader for Blackthorn to rally around. We stand now before the precipice over which Blackthorn must leap and take flight, or perish in the fall. I have no doubt of the strength of our wings, but there is the matter of our focus. Of this there can be no doubt, no hesitation before we go to mete out the Emperor's Justice.+

The chaplain remained silent a moment before continuing. A heavy burden weighed upon him with which he had traveled for the entirety of their journey through the Warp.

+I am prepared to make privy to you a certain truth which has been kept hidden from you for far too long in my view. But it is one which I believe you have shown you are ready to learn. However, I have one condition: you must swear to me absolute secrecy on this subject -- it is not to be shared with any of the rest of our brethren here, nor with the Watch-Captain. What I have to tell you is of dire import.+

Edited by Necronaut

<Blackthorn>

The chaplain nodded, satisfied with the oath.

+What I am about to tell you will put me in violation of the order of a superior officer. But I am prepared to violate my orders, for the sake of Blackthorn, and for the sake of putting your mind at ease before entering the crucible of battle. With the mantle of command comes great responsibility, but also with certain... privileges.+

Helgrim paused again, regarding Tyber, an individual into whom he was putting the trust of Blackthorn and Watch-Station Azurea.

+Daon Akkad yet lives, held in the tender mercies of the Star Phantoms. I know not what has happened to him since his abduction, nor do I know the state of his soul. However, I counseled our Watch-Captain that as one of our sworn-brothers, we owe him our trust, and that we must protect the interests of the Deathwatch during this inquest. Perhaps you have wondered as to the absence of Brother-Codicier Montesa as we prepared for this mission? Diocles took my words to heart and has sent the good Codicier as our agent, as an advocate for Brother Akkad. If it is determined that Daon Akkad has, in fact, been a traitor in our midst all this time, then he will be punished accordingly. However, this is not my belief. I have faced the Great Enemy in single combat in my previous life, and I do not believe that is what we face now.+

The chaplain drew in and let out a deep breath, relieved to have finally shared this news with Tyber.

+Now you know the truth, brother. This stays between you and myself until the Star Phantoms are finished with Akkad. And remember, the Star Phantoms are well within their rights to hold him in custody. They bled dearly to tear down the Tyrant from his position of power, swearing oaths of vengeance and retribution. They are not your enemy.+

Edited by Necronaut

+They show the mark of the Dreadwing, the wing that swallowed the host of bone, when the Lion took over.+ Tyber responded, pausing to chose his words carefully.

+They are not my enemy, but the host of bone was the opposite of my own host, they were used when annihilation was needed, not a scalpel.+ he continued, and again paused for a moment before adding, +but thank you, for this information as it puts part of my mind at ease.+

<Swordhand>

Argus stood on the command deck listening to the others debate about tactics. He sided with Chaka on the matter, but he decided to abstain from voicing that opinion. He was no expert in void warfare. In truth, this situation made him feel uneasy. Though he had stood on command decks before, it was never during preparations for a possible battle. He recalled his rolls in previous engagements. Defending the enginarium against Greenskin boarders, waiting in a boarding pod for the vessel-commander to fire the small ship like a torpedo, once he had even been stationed just outside the bridge for a defense that was not needed. He felt as though he lacked the experience to be of help now. And so, he left them to it.

Instead, he approached the bridge’s sensorium station. He stood quietly behind the uniformed officer, looking over the man’s bald head at the view-screens. The lieutenant glanced back nervously, though the motion was restricted by the cables connecting his brainstem to his seat.

“Is there something I can assist you with, my lord?” he stammered.

When it became obvious that Argus had no intention of responding, the man returned to his duties with obvious unease. The Blood Raven continued his study of the wreckage through the sensorium displays, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Rare or unknown ship classes or maybe damage possibly caused by xenos weapons. Anything that could give them a better idea of what they were dealing with.

Edited by Jeremy.Phillips

+ Blackthorn +

Screams, distant, echo through the darkness,

"Get out of hear, retreat, NOW"!

Explosions echo and ripple through space, shattering time, distorting reality.

Screams, distant echo through the darkness louder

"I said get the hell on that bird, we need to mo"…..

Silence,

Broken by a legion of pain and suffering

The jolt of the break back into real space is felt even in deep meditation. But Ekieo’s eyes open suddenly even before the jolt happens, like a sixth sense awoken. Standing in one motion he calls a serf to the armour room aboard the vessel to aid in his readying. In the armour room he ‘suits’ up. His mind is a little less focused even though he has been meditating for a few hours in preparation, unsure why he trys his best to re focus his thoughts. He checks over his equipment and makes sure that all is in order before attaching it his armour, ready for duty, ready for honour.

The corridors are dark as he makes his way to the hanger bay and the rest of Kill Team Blackthorn, his brothers. The journey from the Watch Station to --- has seen the team gel more since their introduction and training abord the watch station. This mission should be a perfect way to see if his observations are true. Close quarter engagement requires a great degree of communication and trust that the astrates around you have your back. The way to the bay is quiet, as the rest of ship has seemed to be. Ekieos not felt at ease aboard this ship since boarding, something is still not making sense about the Inquisitor or his warrants.

Ekieo approaches the large cold doors of the hanger. He swipes his hand over the console on the right of the door frame, they slide into life, wheels and cogs turning, metal upon metal scrapping as they open to reveal the team stood beside the Storm Raven that will be delivering them to their destination. Ekieo approaches, stands to attention and nods at Tyber. He speaks over the Team Vox channel

“Sergeant Tyber, Brother Solza reporting to Blackthorn for our mission”.

Tyber nods back and Ekieo falls in to line with the rest of the squad.

Once all of Blackthorn is there they board the Storm Raven, ready to disembark, ready to fight in the name of the Emperor, in the honour of the Imperium!

Edited by That Beyond the Light

Kill-Team Swordhand

Strike Cruiser Xenocide, Baltarian Abyss

With Sergeant Kol having made a decision, Captain Rubio nods at the assembled Astartes - with perhaps a ghost of a smile in Embe’s direction to acknowledge the withering defeat the Captain had inflicted upon the Lion in their simulated naval engagements.

“Helmsman, ahead half. Master of Signals, I want a report on the auspex returns. Transfer it to the hololith so that the Lords may examine it.”

As crewmen answer in the affirmative, the atmosphere on the bridge hardens. You see that the Voidmaster is tense, scrutinising the returns closely for any sign of imminent danger. After a few moments, the three-dimensional hololith representing the space around Xenocide updates, a line sweeping clear the shivering display and repopulating it. Rubio leans forward, interpreting the data for those of you unfamiliar with voidcraft.

“Twenty-one distinct vessels - or what is left of them. Their hulks are in various states of damage and disrepair,” Rubio says. “Then there are those that are too ruined to discern.” As the Captain points them out, you see runic icons appending the sensor contacts with data. Names appear: Bounteous Providence, Riches Untold, The Promise of Greater Things, Serendipity, Fortune’s Favour.

As the Xenocide powers forward, you wait anxiously for any sign of imminent attack. But there is none.

“No sign of enemy vessels in the vicinity,” Rubio concludes.

Kill-Team Blackthorn

Inquisitorial vessel Scrutator, Meggdon Prime

As Tyber and Helgrim conclude their conversation, Brother Sabaan rounds the corner of the Storm Raven, Spearcast. In his hands, the Iron Hand carries a servo-skull, the cybernetic device held upside-down like an insect on its back - mechanical appendages wriggling as though struggling to get free. During your warp-travel, many of you have seen him working on the contraption.

“The craft has been sanctified in accordance with the rites and requirements of the Omnissiah and the orthodoxy of Mars,” the Techmarine says. “It will serve us well.”

He releases the servo-skull and it bobs next to his shoulder, held aloft on its own gravitic motors. It bleats in binharic, as though indignant with its treatment.

Each of you have reviewed the plans for the assault; there is an exposed landing pad among the sub-spires that will allow the Astartes to breach. The four warriors equipped with jump packs - Helgrim, Tyber, Atratus and Varvost - will be able to jump from the Storm Raven; Sabaan can lend close support from Spearcast itself.

Edited by Commissar Molotov

<< Blackthron>>

Tyber looked at his squad and spoke over the open vox +Brothers, we are about to make our drop. Those of us with jump packs will exit early, while Sabaan attempts to land. If he encounters resistance, we will force the issue.+

He paused to stand by the ramp as he added, +It is by the Emperor’s might that we will reconquer the stars, by his will we will force this holding back into compliance. Rebellion will not be tolerated, no matter the source.+

Looking over his shoulder towards the cockpit he said one last thing, +On your signal, Sabaan.+

<Swordhand>

Chaka nods to Rubio, and then to the crewmen before him.

“Excellent work Captain, Helm, I may lose my bet yet. Maintain Active Augury, any ship that enters the system is one we will need to quickly intercept or evade.”

Chaka turns back to his squad, to Swordhand, to speak further of the mission.

“The Xenocide should be in a good patrolling position now. As for the investigation, I am not quite sure where to start. Brother-sergeant?”

Edited by Petragor

<<Swordhand>>

“No sign of enemy vessels in the vicinity,” Rubio concluded.

With a certain amount of disappointment, Titus forced his hearts, which had begun to beat faster in anticipation of possible combat, to slow. He listened as Brother Embe spoke, wisely advocating that they maintain vigilance.

"As for the investigation, I am not quite sure where to start."

The Stormbringer paused thoughtfully for a moment, then gestured at the faintly glowing images.

"Can we compare these vessel idents with the information provided by Inquisitor Grist about House Sunder's naval assets?" he suggested quietly. "If we can identify a capital ship, it would likely be the best source of information… assuming we can find one with its bridge still intact."

<<Swordhand>>

"I concur with my brothers suggestion. But I would also suggest caution. If I were the enemy here, I would lay in wait in the place someone would come looking first. No enemy has come to meet us so we should be cautious that one is not laying in wait for us to find them." He ponders what he said for a moment, "Of course the best way to find a trap is to spring it," he adds with relish.

< Swordhand >

"Brother-Codicier, are you... or for that matter, our Navigator or Astropath... able to detect anything that we should be aware of?"

Achillion turned his thoughtful gaze to the Stormbringer.

"My powers are great, but even the most legendary of Librarians would struggle to perceive warp-shadows across such a vast distance." Achillion growled, wiping spittle from his chin. "I can confidently inform you that there are currently twenty-two thousand, three-hundred and forty-six living souls upon this vessel - but beyond that, my gifts are restricted to augury and guesswork."

The Codicier felt uncomfortable here, discussing voidship strategy. He was unfamiliar with the finer art of ship combat, but was impressed with the confidence that the dark-skinned Assault Marine exhibited when offering suggestions. Achillion kept an eye on Vorkys, not drawing attention to the fact, to gauge his reaction on taking advice from those who were now under his command. He could almost visualise the cogs turning within the pale face of the Reviler as he processed the information from Chaka and Yeng before settling on a decision. He was taking to command like one born for it. If Achillion survivied whatever awaited them in this abyss, he would praise Kol to Diocles and suggest regular leadership for the Tactical Marine.

After the command had been given and the bridge fell into action, the Librarian sidled up to the Watch-Sergeant.

"Brother-Sergeant, if you will allow it, I would perform a short ritual in an attempt to divine what lies ahead for us." Achillion rumbled, running his gauntled hand along the spine of the Creed of the Crimson Dawn affixed to his belt. "I have a feeling that danger is close at hand, and gut instincts are best not ignored."

Hidden Content
Should Vorkys agree, Achillion would like to find an isolated part of the ship, and then would clear his mind using an Invocation test (gaining +10 from his Psy-Focus), bringing his PR to 6. He'd then use Vorkys as the subject and cast the Augury psychic power with a +5 to cast from his Psychic Hood, and would Push the power to achieve a PR of 9 (getting the most information possible from the power - learning the most dangerous opposition we will face, up to 9 other potential negative forces we would face, the best advantage or tool that we can use and a single sentence of advice relating to the journey ahead). He'd warn Vorkys beforehand that he would be using his powers in such a way that isn't 100% safe, but that the information learned would be invaluable. He'd ask Swordhand what specific question they would like him to ask of the Empyrean energies, but would offer a suggestion such as "What must Kill-Team Secundus do to obtain the Xenotech aboard the Dark Lantern?"
Edited by Mojake

Atratus waited, crouched in position. There would be no guile here.

The Spearcasts augers began to feed through to each of the assault marines indicating the target ahead, each had been assigned a landing target and attack pattern to sweep through any defenders in an efficient manner based on the schematics taken from Imperial records.

Locking bolts on the assault ramp shot back with a metallic crack as Tyber stepped to the fore - first into flight as was his right as squad leader. Around him the jump packs of the assault force roared in anticipation as each of the Astartes set themselves for the charge.

<Blackthorn>

As the storm raven descended through the atmosphere of the planet Severix could feel the ship buck and shake from turbulence. His body rocked in the restraints of his seat but he paid it no mind. Instead he gazed down at the list of names etched into his frag cannon. He swore an oath that he would do everything he could to bring his new brothers back home. He preferred to celebrate with the living than to remember the dead.

He shook his head to dispel old ghosts and focus on the mission beginning to unfold. He mentally went through his checklist and made sure every piece of his gear was ready and in it’s proper place.

He heard Sabaan’s voice over the vox. “One minute to drop. Stand in the door!” He saw the restraints release from the marines with jump packs. He saw each one check the equipment of the brother in front of them. As each verified the readiness of the next man in line he shouted “OK!” 

The ramp began to lower as they reach the designated drop point. The red jump light switched to green as they arrived. He saw his brothers file out of the ship to begin their attack. He said a quick catechism of protection for them and sent them a vox.

+Good Hunting!+

Edited by Ancient_Sobek

< Swordhand >

As Captain Rubio relayed the reports of the Master of Signals, Vorkys did not attempt to conceal the frown that crossed his face. Finding nothing of note was as concerning as finding out all of the wrecked ships were still active. As the squad discussed their next steps among themselves he took the opportunity to think through the situation. A strange feeling kept tugging in the back of his mind, something did not add up. Had the inquisitor held back some vital information? If not, why send a full kill-team to investigate a graveyard in the void that by all accounts is deserted. His training, his long years with his Chapter and his experiences among the Deathwatch all screamed ambush, it's what he would do after all. The Revilers were taught to defeat the enemy by any means. The lessons of Istvaan V had taught the founders that even small numbers could ambush and evade far superior forces.

Assuming their scans were correct and there were no enemy ships nearby, the Xenocide was clearly the superior force. At best the enemy would have strike craft, little match in a conventional fight with a Strike Cruiser built for close in fighting. So where is the threat? The blasted hulks? Perhaps the enemy had managed to restore primitive controls to weapons systems. A well timed ambush with a full torpedo spread at close range would prove devastating. Or perhaps they were simply waiting to draw out of Swordhand and ambush them within the close confines of a ship. 

"Brother-Sergeant, if you will allow it, I would perform a short ritual in an attempt to divine what lies ahead for us. I have a feeling that danger is close at hand, and gut instincts are best not ignored." The psyker's powers would provide a valuable insight at this point in time. 

"Brother-Codicier, do what you must, we need all of the information we can gather," Vorkys responded playing with the scale of the Alpha Legionnaire hanging from his gauntlet. He turned to the rest of the squad and Captain Rubio. "I want a full accounting of which wrecks are torpedo capable and their orientation, mark those areas off limits. If there are any notable kill zones report them immediately. Brother Titus, scan the records for wrecks of particular import."

The light of the hololith lit his face as he pored over the projection of the area himself trying to discern from where he would launch an ambush. Fresh information, a fresh perspective, he would need to rely on the team and patience if he were to get a full picture of the situation. 

Edited by Komrk

<BLACKTHORN>

Every nerve in Pallan's body thrummed with anticipation.  It had been a while since he had seen action, particularly alongside fellow astartes.  True, this squad Blackthorn were not of the blood of Argentis, but they were his brothers for now.  To strike via aircraft was very much his Chapter's way.  To blast into combat and put themselves between the enemy and the innocent.  Of course here there were no innocents to protect but just a foe to meet.  Even better, Pallan thought grimly to himself.  He placed his bare fore-head on Chainbreaker, the chain sword he had been gifted back on Azurea.

" I give thanks to the blade I wield, that it may strike down my foes and the foes of mankind," he said in prayer and mag locked the blade to his side.  He cleared the firing chamber of his bolter before again placing his forehead on the weapon,

" I give thanks to this bolter, no longer a work of my hand, that its strike will reach out and edn those whom have strayed from humanities light." He said before placing a hand on his chest plate.

" I give thanks to this armour, a shield from the nightmares of the galaxy, with it may I form a bulwark for the weak," he said the raised the three claws that hung from a cord at his rest to his lips before running a hand over them.  They were all he had left of his Chapter, the last remnants of the leopards skin cloak he had worn, a mark of command also stripped after his disgrace.  He traced a hand over each claw.

" For my Chapter, for whose honour I fight, for Argentis, that she may take my ashes back on my death, and for my brothers," he said, giving an glancing look at the eclectic band of marines who he was about to fight alongside, " that we will all stand once our work is done," he said and then let the claws drop to his side before donning his helmet.  He dismissed the sudden flood of vital information and medicae feed outs that filled his vision with a thought.

" Duty till death!" he said with a grim resolve as he stood from his harness to stand behind his jump pack armed brothers.  Once they dropped he would need to be ready.  Their aircraft would touch down soon after and then the real work would begin.  He hoped all four of the jump packed marines wouldn't be needing his aid by the time they touched down.  He knew the mission parameters, that they were supposed to face little more then traitor militia.  But still, he couldn't shake the feeling that there was more amiss.  His final words to himself as drew ready behind his squad mates of Blackthorn were barely a whisper as he absently touched the black chain that hung around his armour.

" Salvation through sacrifice." 

<Swordhand>

As the vessel continued forwards, Gideon's hearts began to pump faster. He waited for the words that would spur them into action, the confirmation of a foe inbetween all this wreckage. But nothing came. As the Captain stated loudly that they were clear of hostiles, Gideon's hearts slowed down, but his mind raced. He was no naval tactician, he would admit that, but should an enemy have been here, it would have been a perfect area for an ambush.

As the Sergeant imparted his orders onto the Kill Team, he spoke once he had finished,  "Sergeant, if I may assist Titus? I have a small knowledge of Rogue Trader vessels, and I may be able to assist in regards to locating vessels of higher import." His time on a Rogue Trader's vessel had been mostly in regards as a security detail, but he had found time to converse with a seneschal of the dynasty, who had educated him of the ways of the Dynasty and on the organisation of their vessel. He hoped that his knowledge would be of assistance to Titus, should the Sergeant permit his request.

<<Swordhand>>

Kol gave a curt nod in agreement.

"Aye, Sergeant," Titus replied and moved to stand with Gideon. Together they accessed the datafiles provided by Grist, searching for any references to the ident tags of the vessels floating in the void before them. The very names made Titus' lip curl in disgust at the selfish avarice they hinted at. Bounteous Providence. Riches Untold. The Promise of Greater Things. Serendipity. Fortune’s Favour.

If required, Titus will make a test on whatever Skill is most appropriate (Lore of some sort?) to try and identify which ships were most important to House Sunder and therefore a logical target. I don't think(?) he has any particular Skills that will make this easier, so if anyone does and wants to assist/do the Test instead, I'm very cool with that?

Edit: Gideon's help would be much appreciated! Edited fluff to show them working together.

GM: Komrk/Mojake: Will Kol and Achillion conduct this ritual now? If so, make the rolls for Achillion's tests. If psychic phenomena are rolled, let me determine what they are before a daemon bursts into reality and short-circuits my plot!

Mojake: Feel free to describe the chamber in which you conduct your invocation, as well as what your psy-focus is. I will deal with the actual process of consulting the Emperor's Tarot.

With the affirmation from Vorkys, Achillion left the bridge brusquely to begin preparations for the ritual.

Making his way to the port side of the frigate, he eventually found a hemi-spherical room designed for combat drills that wasn't currently in use. He gazed up at the grey plasteel walls and dull tiled floor, evaluating the location. He set to work immediately.

Over the next hour, the Codicier set about the painstaking process of making this chamber fit for psychic ritual. He knew that his power would be unleashed in its entirety, so took the necessary precautions to scribe pentagrammic glyphs upon vast rolls of parchment, having serfs assist him in sealing them to the walls, the heavy smell of incense wafting through the air from blessed censers as prayers of sanctuary echoed around them.

Once the room was fit for purpose, he sat calmly at its center, surrounded by wards scribbled in black, red and blue inks. He removed his dark gauntlets and set them at his side, then unhooked the Creed of the Crimson Dawn from his belt. There were many methods to conduct communion with the Immaterium, and those passed down through the history of the Angels Encarmine nestled within the pages of this great tome. He wouldn't be relying on their vast knowledge this day, but channeling his power through the familiar vellum chapters allowed him greater focus and accuracy as he looked towards the future.

Taking a deep breath, Achillion opened his mind to the souls upon the ship, immediately locating Vorkys and the rest of the Astartes on the bridge, their steel resolves blazing like a beacon compared to the mortal helmsmen surrounding them.

| Brother-Sergeant, I have uploaded my location to your helmet feed. Attend me when you are ready. |

++

When the Reviler entered the room, Achillion noted the discomfort on his face. Hundreds of parchment sheets hung from the walls, and almost as many blanketed the floor. Ancient symbols and sacrosanct text covered almost every inch of plasteel in sight. 

"Kneel before me, my brother." Achillion spoke in confidence, to assuade the actions of the sergeant. "What you witness here today will dismay you, but I do not apologise for it. My gifts are eldritch and poorly understood by many, outright feared by most. Understand that whilst you do as I say, you will remain unmolested."

Glancing around him, the Watch-Sergeant strode over to where Achillion sat, avoiding the warding symbols with each heavy ceramite footfall, before kneeling in front of the Librarian.

"Let's get this over with." Vorkys said, not as a command, but with an implied urgency as he eyed the heavy book beside them.

Achillion uncovered the small deck of Emperor's Tarot and placed them gently before him. The psycho-active wafers shimmered softly with a blue light in the flickering candle-flame, and the upwards facing card that sat at the peak of the deck was one of significance to their ritual and to their bond - a grey-armoured knight in mortal combat with a vicious hydra. The Librarian closed his eyes and forged a psychic imprint upon the card before handing it to Vorkys, allowing them to remain in psychic contact whilst Achillion manipulated the cards.

Placing the deck face down, Achillion's fingers lingered for a moment on their surface, blackened fingernails catching the dim light.

His next words came out as scarcely more than a whisper, and Vorkys felt a chill as a barely imperceptible malevolant echo followed each syllable by a half-second.

"By the blood of the Great Angel and his magnificent sacrifice, by the awareness granted me by the Order of the Crimson Dawn, I ask what perils await this warrior in his hunt for the voidship appointed Dark Lantern?"

The Librarian lowered his head as if in some form of prayer, hiding his next action from the man before him. Using his free hand, he quickly ran the tip of his index finger along the sharpened peak of his elongated eye-tooth, drawing a thin bead of blood which he pressed onto the psycho-active deck in front of him. He retracted his angel teeth before raising his head to continue.

His hands moved quickly, spreading cards out in the shape of the Angel's Chalice in front of him. He worked fast, whispering his petition repeatedly, ensuring his bloodied finger caught the edge of each card before his Larraman's organ had opportunity to seal his wound.

As the final card fell into place and completed the layout, the Librarian took a deep breath of the incense-heavy air suffusing the dark chamber. With one hand on the ancient text by his side and the other touching the stem of the card spread, he focused deeply on the psychic imprint he had impressed upon the Tarot.

As Achillion's settled eyes closed for a long minute, Vorkys noted the candleflames muting, casting deep shadows across the walls. The lengths of parchment rippled gently, despite no source of breeze. Silence permeated the atmosphere, and all he could hear was his own breathing and the rhythmic beating of his hearts.

Then the horror truly began.

Deep streaks of crimson began to saturate the pentagrammic etchings around him. Runnels of red began to seep through the plasteel walls and soak the long rolls of parchment that decorated the hemi-sphere. The Watch-Sergeant felt viscous liquid dripping onto the back of his neck from the rounded ceiling, and his twin-hearts began to pound faster. The Librarian sat motionless, the deep crevices on his scarred face catching and pooling with the blood that rained down on them.

Vorkys inhaled deeply, remembering what Achillion had told him as he had entered this profane room, but cursing himself nonetheless for leaving his bolter behind. The moment appeared to last an eternity, the battle-lust ingrained within each Astartes rose to the fore of Vorkys' consciousness, urging him to break free from this witchcraft and purge all involved with purifying flame and sacred bolt rounds. The Reviler felt an ancient hatred boil up inside of him that he wasn't even aware had been festering inside of him, one of grudges immemorial and great treachery.

Suddenly, the Librarian's eyes opened. Almost as quickly as they had appeared, the shadows fled into the deepest recesses of the room. The dripping blood soaking back into the walls like a dry sponge. Even the drops that had flecked his own ebon armour disappeared as normalcy returned to the room. The tension and murderous feelings drained from the Reviler and he caught himself gasping at the smoky air that filled the chamber.

"The ritual is complete, brother," Achillion snarled. He reached down towards the spread arrayed before him, psychic energy leaping between the focus and his outstretched hand as he flipped the first card in the chalice formation face-up.

"Let us see together what the Tarot holds."

Hidden Content

Focus Power Test: 12 (Target 93) = 8 DoS

Phenomena: Bloody Tears

Edited by Mojake

Kill-Team Swordhand

(Everyone except Achillion and Kol)

The Xenocide continues to move forward, nearing the debris field itself. It affords you the ability to examine some of the hulks at close range. Several among the Kill-Team have extensive experience of void-craft, coming from ship-based Chapters or having been assigned to your Chapter's fleet. Then there are those among you that have served in the fleets of Rogue Traders before. This combined sum of knowledge is sufficient to be distilled into several key understandings:

Firstly, that the Imperial Navy, as with much of the Imperium, relies upon standardised patterns of vessels, both to ensure tactical orthodoxy and to aid in the construction and repair of such venerable craft.

Secondly, that the Rogue Traders' appetites diverge wildly from those of Imperial Navy Admirals. Rogue Trader vessels tend to be as varied as their commanders, boasting non-standard upgrades and loadouts - or even alterations that seem to have no reason other than aesthetics.

The wrecks that you encounter do seem to bear these non-standard divergences from STC patterns. As you move closer, you can tell that the heavy weapon damage seems to come from a number of sources - both weapons that adhere to Imperial design, and others that you can only guess at.

For the first time Thorvald speaks. His helm is held under his arm, his red hair tightly braided for practicality. He points at the hololith.

“This is the largest intact vessel. Riches Untold - cruiser-weight.”

Achillion and Kol:

The art of augury is a difficult and contradictory one; many are those who sought a brighter future and instead lost their tenuous grip upon the present. The warp deals only in riddles and half-truths, and yours is less a scientific discipline and more an act of interpretation.

You know that there are as many variations of the Emperor's Tarot as there are planets in the Imperium. Equally, there are myriad ways in which to place the cards, and the ways in which they are read and interpreted vary wildly. You know of seers who place their cards to mimic the wide-spread wings and grasping pinions of the Imperial Aquila; in your service to the Deathwatch you have witnessed scryers using a pattern that represents the thrice-barred sigil of the Inquisition. But there is virtue in familiarity and tradition, and as you deal the psycho-active cards one-by-one across the table, they begin to take the form of the Chalice, a spread that you learnt long ago as a novice initiate in the Librarius's sacred mysteries. Of course, the symbol has significance to your Chapter as the sacred vessel of Sanguinius's blood. But you have long since come to think of its personal associations with you: a vessel, seeking to be filled to the brim with knowledge.

The chalice's form is simple: three cards, placed horizontally, forming the base; one, to form the stem; and then three triangles of three resembling its body. If the Librarian requires clarification or a solution, a fourth triangle representing a drop of blood.

Achillion manifests Augury: Psy Rating 5(+3 PUSH)

WS53(+Psy Rating 8x5, 40) = WS93: 12 (8 DoS)

As a PUSHED power, automatically causes Psychic Phenomena

Achillion uses Rite of Sanctioning to alter Psychic Phenomena to Bloody Tears

Achillion determines:

-the most dangerous opposition Kol will face

-up to 8 other negative forces Kol will face

-The best advantage or tool Kol can use to overcome his foe

The first cards you turn are the base of the chalice: the crux of the issue, the greatest challenge or enemy that Sergeant Kol and Kill-Team Swordhand will face in their search for the Dark Lantern.

The Great Host. The Beast. The Hulk, inverted.

You survey the three cards in their totality, trying to divine their significance. The psycho-active displays of each wafer-thin card ripple and shimmer, taking on new patterns and designs. The Great Host shows an axeman standing before a vast expanse of forest, then a city threatened by a surging ocean wave. The Beast, a snarling furred creature of tusks and fangs. The hulk, half-in and half-out of reality, the gaping rent in reality making your eyes ache.

The stem, the card that represents the subject of the query. They must bear the weight of what is to come. You turn the card to be confronted with the Sword.

Then a triumvirate of triumvirates - nine cards that will display other threats the querent must face:

The first: The Candle, The Shattered World, the Blind Seer.

The second: The Inquisitor, The Crone, The Young Warrior.

The third: The silver door, the Space Marine inverted, the Eye of Horus. It is a hated sigil that makes your teeth itch and your twin hearts beat with rage.

After making some sense of the cards that lie before you, you draw three more, hopeful that they will explain what advantage Swordhand may use to prevail in their situation: The Star, The Drowned Man, The Emperor’s Throne.

Up2hIhG.png

Kill-Team Blackthorn

Helgrim, Tyber, Atratus, Varvost

As Spearcast plunges through the caul of cloud cover, the four of you step out into the open air. Immediately you begin to fall, the weight of your warplate dragging you down. The wind howls loud enough to be heard through your helms. Below you, the body of the hive descends below you like a man-made mountain.  

The four of you angle your bodies with expert skill. Trajectory markers overlay your helm, advising you on the course corrections you need to make in order to hit your chosen landing zones. The target below you is clear: a pair of platforms that hold House Desiato's anti-air defenses. Your auto-senses allow you to see sentries prowling around the edge of the bastion. They wear breather-masks and greatcoats to provide them with protection against the chill air and thin atmosphere. 

At the last possible second you ignite your jump packs, decelerating with the force of a rampaging grox hitting you in the chest. The turbines behind you scream as you land heavily on the decking, weapons already up, their killing edges ignited. 

The guards are frozen in terror, the remainder of their lives now counted in seconds. 

Death has come to the Desiato Household. 

foaEW22.png

(5m2 grid squares as usual) 

Roll your initiative and tell me where you'd like to land - I will roll 2D10 and minus your agility modifier to determine where you end up. 

You will have a surprise round before the mortals can respond! 

<<Blackthorn>>

Tyber looked at the mortals that were about to have a very, very bad day. Adjusting his trajectory slightly he aimed for one of them, what better way to make an entrance than with shock and awe.

OOC:

Rolling for initiative

Agility 48

Lightning Reflexes doubles Agility bonus of 4 to become 8

1d10+8

Initive roll: 1d10+8 17

Target landing grid point on top of trooper #3, yes, I mean on top of trooper #3.

Edited by Steel Company