What would you want in future Primaris expansions?

Looks like everyone is packing Iron Halos as head dressing?

Yes Sete. New millennium .... new "heroes". I too remember the days before Armageddon, when there was no such thing as the Emperor's Champion. Even the sweetest of models must either cross the Rubicon or fade into Legend.

And yet here we are with old familiar faces... legends brought back from the past.

Yes Sete. New millennium .... new "heroes". I too remember the days before Armageddon, when there was no such thing as the Emperor's Champion. Even the sweetest of models must either cross the Rubicon or fade into Legend.

And yet here we are with old familiar faces... legends brought back from the past.
Care to elaborate which old familiar faces you are referring to? Except for the few who did cross the rubicon, I don’t remember anyone coming back to the game...

TheNewman @ true that. I just want to see a Primaris infantry of any sort with access to Las-talons. Alternately Primaris Bikes with Twin Las-fusils

If I recall correctly the Suppressor cannon is only 12 points, equipping an Omnis squad with LasTalons would bump them 28 points a model. Lasfusiles are also 12 points, but I don't know that people would take that over the Suppressor cannon.

I do really like the Omnis as a heavy weapon platform though, being impossible to shut down by consolidation moves is a significant advantage.

Care to elaborate which old familiar faces you are referring to? Except for the few who did cross the rubicon, I don’t remember anyone coming back to the game...
Guilliman 40k.

(I know he is not a primaris but his return has similar path.)

Ragnar, Khan, Calgar, Tigurius, Shrike, Mephiston.

If all these names are still around I'm sure they can open a slot or two for the Emperor Champion. Its highly hypocritical to bring a few fan favourites and leave others behind to make way for new stuff. There is space for both.

Edited by Sete

^this^

Which one though? I'm biased but it would be nice to see one that brought something different to a space marine force than Guilliman does *cough Corax* lol. Honestly the Wolf and the Lion have/need/ should be released at the same time. 

Except the Emperor's Champion (like the Judicar) is more a unit not a character. Helbrecht and Grimaldus would be more likely choices to cross the Rubicon. I could see a proper EC returning the same time the figure out how to do the Crusader squads though, that would be cool.

Personally I wish they has left Shrike as a Firstborn. While's good at what he does (murderwings) he doesn't enhance Primaris much do to their overall style .differences. I'd have much preferred Issodon crossed the Rubicon ... but no one asked  me :smile.:

Edited by Dracos

Except the Emperor's Champion (like the Judicar) is more a unit not a character. Helbrecht and Grimaldus would be more likely choices to cross the Rubicon. I could see a proper EC returning the same time the figure out how to do the Crusader squads though, that would be cool.

Personally I wish they has left Shrike as a Firstborn. While's good at what he does (murderwings) he doesn't enhance Primaris much do to their overall style .differences. I'd have much preferred Issodon crossed the Rubicon ... but no one asked me :)

As much as I'd rather see the Omnis pattern get a second Heavy option to go with the Suppressor Cannon, non-master-crafted versions of Shrike's weapons on a 3/6-man Omnis unit is something I'd immediately buy two boxes of. Three if it was a dual kit with Suppressors.

Personally I wish they has left Shrike as a Firstborn. While's good at what he does (murderwings) he doesn't enhance Primaris much do to their overall style .differences. I'd have much preferred Issodon crossed the Rubicon ... but no one asked me :smile.:

As much as I'd rather see the Omnis pattern get a second Heavy option to go with the Suppressor Cannon, non-master-crafted versions of Shrike's weapons on a 3/6-man Omnis unit is something I'd immediately buy two boxes of. Three if it was a dual kit with Suppressors.

Oh yes please.

I'd LOVE that.

But yeah, Sete, the Emperor's Champion isn't a character in a sense. It's a title.

Edited by Gederas

and the Judicar as our Emperor's Champion proxy.

No.

Yeah, I don't see the Judicar as specifically a proxy for the Emperor's Champion. BUT...

I do see how between the Judicar and the Bladeguard Veterans, they may make the generic Champion obsolete. It just seems like if GW were going to release a Primaris Champion model, the time to do it would be this year and it should have appeared in that big photo with all the new characters and the Hellfuries joining the rest that were either revealed or leaked separately on the 23rd.

Granted, there could still be a standalone kit for the Champion, but if we don't see if this year it really wouldn't surprise me if Goodwin and Co. decided it was kind of a "quaint" unit that didn't quite fit with their vision for the Primaris Marines. Especially when you have these small three-man groups of similarly-equipped veterans on the one hand and a solitary badass character with a sword from Hell on the other.

That said, I definitely expect they'll still do a proper Primaris Emperor's Champion for the Templars at some point. Maybe alongside their own codex supplement.

Personally I wish they has left Shrike as a Firstborn. While's good at what he does (murderwings) he doesn't enhance Primaris much do to their overall style .differences. I'd have much preferred Issodon crossed the Rubicon ... but no one asked me :smile.:

Oh yes please.

I'd LOVE that.

But yeah, Sete, the Emperor's Champion isn't a character in a sense. It's a title.

Hence why the easiest one to update :wink:

But still he is a HQ option for BT, so in that sense of a char. (gameplay, not lore to clear things up.)

Edited by Sete

No.

Yeah, I don't see the Judicar as specifically a proxy for the Emperor's Champion. BUT...

I do see how between the Judicar and the Bladeguard Veterans, they may make the generic Champion obsolete. It just seems like if GW were going to release a Primaris Champion model, the time to do it would be this year and it should have appeared in that big photo with all the new characters and the Hellfuries joining the rest that were either revealed or leaked separately on the 23rd.

Granted, there could still be a standalone kit for the Champion, but if we don't see if this year it really wouldn't surprise me if Goodwin and Co. decided it was kind of a "quaint" unit that didn't quite fit with their vision for the Primaris Marines. Especially when you have these small three-man groups of similarly-equipped veterans on the one hand and a solitary badass character with a sword from Hell on the other.

That said, I definitely expect they'll still do a proper Primaris Emperor's Champion for the Templars at some point. Maybe alongside their own codex supplement.

I disagree with you. So far GW is still fleshing out the Primaris range. The only units that anyone is getting that can’t be taken by every space marine chapter is the named characters. The Emperors champion, while bad ass, is not a named character. I’d say that your due for a Primaris character, but none of the other successor chapters have gotten one (admittedly only the crimson fist are supported by GW so it’s just the one)

So, I know he’s coming, but I don’t think it HAS to be this year. And in the mean time the normal Emperors champion still works with just one less wound and attack. I’d probably kit bash him though.

The Emperor's Champion is a named character and always has been, as far as rules are concerned. You can only field one of him, he can't take relics, he only has one option for a warlord trait. He even used to require opponent permission, back when that was a thing (and before Codex: Armageddon made him mandatory for BT lists). The fact that it's a different guy inside the armor each time is just a lore quirk.

If the Justicar fills vaguely the same role of a character-killer, which it looks like he will, I'd actually rather see a Primaris Helbrecht than a Primaris EC. But I'll happily take anything, really, even a new character rather than a Rubicon upgrade. Bladeguard Veterans check a lot of boxes for what I wanted out of a Primaris unit for BT, so I'm not too picky at this point, haha.

I definitely see where Sete is coming from though. The EC is such a iconic and must have figure (I think in 3e? everyone was using the model) that it's impossible to think of a Templar army without one.  I just wonder if the sales number in the game currently for Black Templar products has pushed them (erroneously imo) away from Templars for a more generic Crusader that everyone can feel fits in their army? The Judicar being a alt-version of the beloved Emperor's Champion.

There's a Primaris EC conversion in the BT forum that I would pay to have done for me and use as a <Judicar> if the rules were even close to representing the bad :censored: ery that the Emperor's Champion definitely is :smile.:

PS: Champ is a Character in same sense a Techmarine is and the range needs a Primaris Techmarine - to you know, fix the Impulsor that the Firstborn can't get aboard to fix the transmission - in which case he'll need to wait in the back of the line 

Edited by Dracos

No.

I disagree with you. So far GW is still fleshing out the Primaris range. The only units that anyone is getting that can’t be taken by every space marine chapter is the named characters. The Emperors champion, while bad ass, is not a named character. I’d say that your due for a Primaris character, but none of the other successor chapters have gotten one (admittedly only the crimson fist are supported by GW so it’s just the one)

So, I know he’s coming, but I don’t think it HAS to be this year. And in the mean time the normal Emperors champion still works with just one less wound and attack. I’d probably kit bash him though.

Chapter Master Gabriel Seth says hi!

Didn't all chapters at one point have an Emperor's Champion? Which as pointed out could now be filled by the Judicar. As for a BT Primaris character, the EC makes sense but any current character could pass the rubicon in GW "lore". Whilst it is nice to have old mainstays "Primarisised" new characters help push the narrative forward.

The Emperor's Champion is a named character and always has been, as far as rules are concerned. You can only field one of him, he can't take relics, he only has one option for a warlord trait. He even used to require opponent permission, back when that was a thing (and before Codex: Armageddon made him mandatory for BT lists). The fact that it's a different guy inside the armor each time is just a lore quirk.

If the Justicar fills vaguely the same role of a character-killer, which it looks like he will, I'd actually rather see a Primaris Helbrecht than a Primaris EC. But I'll happily take anything, really, even a new character rather than a Rubicon upgrade. Bladeguard Veterans check a lot of boxes for what I wanted out of a Primaris unit for BT, so I'm not too picky at this point, haha.

I don't see the Judicar as an acceptable substitute for the Champion. Even if he had identical rules (which he wont), he's still no the Champion. He's a different beast, a different lore, open to everyone. I'm trying my best not to say watered down. 

My point is it just makes me want the real deal even more. A bonus perk is i'd be able to take both if I wanted.

No.

Huh?

I never said the EMPEROR'S Champion was coming this year. I said if the GENERIC Champion doesn't appear as a Primaris version this year when he would seem to perfectly fit the theme, then it's very likely that GW won't be doing a generic Primaris Champion at all.

I DID say a Primaris Emperor's Champion might come alongside a BT supplement (BTW, I am NOT a BT player, sorry to disappoint you) but I never suggested that supplement would appear this year.

Feel free to disagree with me, but it'd be nice if you disagreed with something I actually said or believe.

Edited by Lord Nord

I miss when all chapters could take the Emperor's Champion, but I understand why they did away with that (especially with the introduction of the company and chapter champions).

The Imperial Fists got the Supremacy Force box in 2018 with the multipose kits. If I recall correctly, it was the first box to have the Imperial Fist primaris upgrade sprue and the powerfist option for Intercessor Sergeants. I could see there being a 2021 battleforce box that did something similar for Black Templars with the multipose kits for the new units. If a proper, multipart commander were released by then it's possible there'd be the right bits on a Black Templar sprue to make an Emperor's Champion. However, considering the cinematic bent we've seen with many of the Primaris special characters, I can't imagine that Primaris Emperor's Champion wouldn't get a full treatment if he ever exists.

I miss when all chapters could take the Emperor's Champion

An awful and terrible mistake that I'm glad they rectified. The champion is a character uniquely tied to the BT identity, we were founded by the original Emperor's champion. 

I could see the Judicar being a way to give everyone a new champion again, without stepping on BT's toes. He's a different beast entirely, has a different feel and is open to everyone. I'm down with that. But I still want a new model for the original.

I think the number 1 thing we should be asking for now is a new codex.

Otherwise in 9th I'll need 5 seperate book just to run my Marines:

-Codex

-Supplement

-Psychic Awakening book

-FW index

-Mini codex with the Dozen new units

I think it's time for a Primaris only codex that merges all the Chapters into one book. SW, BA, DA, UM, etc. It can be done.

Ultras only have 3 Primaris characters if you include Guilliman.

The rest of the chapters can have their heroes too, and some exclusive units like Death Company Intercessors, etc

Edited by Ishagu

Chapter Master Gabriel Seth says hi!

Didn't all chapters at one point have an Emperor's Champion? Which as pointed out could now be filled by the Judicar. As for a BT Primaris character, the EC makes sense but any current character could pass the rubicon in GW "lore". Whilst it is nice to have old mainstays "Primarisised" new characters help push the narrative forward.

I'm sure someone here will still have the codexes from 3 or 4e to check. I remember reading a story about all of Dorn's Chapters having a big RenFair nd fighting it out until one was the Emperors Champion. I remember seeing the model in Imperial and Crimson Fist colors in White Dwarf. Pretty sure that was before there were Chapter Champions for everyone. All of which are a far second fiddle to the real deal. 

PS: while I would love a Primaris Codex that isn't affiliated with any one Chapter, thats for the Supplements imo. It's still too soon, and honestly I'd like to see the community get their teeth into 9e for about a year before a new vanilla Marine dex comes out. Selfishly I'd like to see the meta find it's level for a few months. Just seems the first dex releases (SM + ?) always becomes weak sauce after the half year of a new edition.

Edited by Dracos

It just seems like if GW were going to release a Primaris Champion model, the time to do it would be this year and it should have appeared in that big photo with all the new characters and the Hellfuries joining the rest that were either revealed or leaked separately on the 23rd.

This is the part I disagree with. Sorry for the confusion.

As to the Emperor’s Champion being a named character, yes, as far as rules go. I’m referring to the Fluff. I thought that was obvious.

Guilliman 40k.

(I know he is not a primaris but his return has similar path.)

Ragnar, Khan, Calgar, Tigurius, Shrike, Mephiston.

If all these names are still around I'm sure they can open a slot or two for the Emperor Champion. Its highly hypocritical to bring a few fan favourites and leave others behind to make way for new stuff. There is space for both.

this.

There is only one thing. Maybe GW cannot patent the maltese cross and let them fall slowly and so we dont get a EC for Black Templars but a similar model for another faction after there are not that many BT players anymore.

The fan base is still very huge and most of them want a Primaris Emperors champion so far. (I would say that except Ultramarines, BA, SW - in 2016 there used to be more BT players then any other Marineplayer but after those long years a lot of new players decided to play other chapters).

Edited by Medjugorje

So, the streams and articles have mentioned trying to balance the game better, and trying to get players to strategize instead of relying on certain list types. On that note, do you think the choice of custom chapter tactics will continue to be a thing, or not?

Either way, I would be fine, but... Imagine if other first founding chapters got the Imperial Fists treatment. By that, I mean two named successors, one close to the parent chapter's tactics like the Crimson Fists, and the other very divergent like the black Templars. I mean, I doubt they would port over any of the Badab chapters from Forge World, but wouldn't Raptors, Carcharodons, and Mantis Warriors be great?!

Well, then there are obvious exceptions. The Ultramarines successors just have different paint schemes, and Salamanders claim no successors at all. Then again, it is plausible that Cawl could just cook up a batch of Primaris sons of Vulkan, and have them found their own chapter.

Also, if successors are more fleshed out, will we finally get named characters for them? I can't wait to see Primaris Pedro Kantor, and I bet his fist will be even more OP than Tor Garadon's. I see Helbrecht going Primaris before Grimaldus, because of new Ghazgul and even Primaris Ragnar not being enough, and Grimaldus is far more driven by inspiring zeal in his fellow BT than pursuing his own nemesis.

As a Raven Guard player, I want more lore on the Rift Stalkers. Why is their armor white? Who is their Chapter Master, and what is his preference for waging war? Is he a sneaky beaky and tricky crow, or does he prefer a heavily entrenched gunline? How did he get to be Chapter Master? By that I mean did he really have the hundreds of years of battle experience necessary, or did Cawl just tweak him in the lab, and program in some more advanced leadership and strategy?

On the same note, and just a little grimmer and darker, I want to see the Iron Hands encounter the Sons of Medusa, with the latter being entirely replaced with Primaris, with the remaining firstborn being interred in Dreadnoughts.