What would you want in future Primaris expansions?

A unit with a breacher option is about how I'd design a foot Tacticus Close Support unit. Really, it would be a choice between a chainsword and a big shield (the durability option, maybe re-rolling saves and getting an invul?) or a big two-handed chainsword (with options for both a "sweep" attack that provides multiple chainsword attacks per attack on the profile and a "cleave" attack that has better strength, AP, and damage) for a more fragile heavy-hitter. I really don't expect to see a jump pack+chainsword unit anytime soon, as people have said that overlaps with Assault Squads too much for me to think GW would go there yet. It does make for a pretty light CC hitting unit, which pairs well with the added mobility advantage if we look at the philosophy that seems to have been taken with Primaris so far, but I think they'd go for something more novel first.

Mathematically they are much better than assault Marines in combat. Aesthetically, people are free to convert them and it wouldn't be hard to give Reivers a bunch of chainswords.

I'm always a bit surprised when people ask for direct replacements of past units. Primaris aren't 1:1 copies/upgrades. Do people want the older options to be made redundant by duplicating them?

Why the hell wouldn't we want 1:1 Upgrades? I fundamentally do not care about any new units because they do not fit with the lore or how marines want at all. If GW wants to win me over on the Primaris train, then just get it over with and port everything over to Primaris already with newer, better sculpts. New units are a plague anyway that leads to codex bloat, ideally an army should have an unchanging roster of units with remakes of the sculpts every 5 years or so as technology marches on, while any new whole new "units" are just character builds.

Breachers are a popular theme from HH and something I've always wanted in plastic, potted into 40K proper. Unlikely to get more plastic 30K it seems so Primaris is the obvious way to scratch that itch for GW.

Any form of troops option with an invulnerable save with two wounds would be great. Company Veterans for the Dark Angels are specifically awesome because you can kit them out as stupidly durable gunners with storm shields and plasma. Doubt Primaris Breachers would get a 3++, but a 5++ with an auto bolter would be pretty good.

Why the hell wouldn't we want 1:1 Upgrades? I fundamentally do not care about any new units because they do not fit with the lore or how marines want at all. If GW wants to win me over on the Primaris train, then just get it over with and port everything over to Primaris already with newer, better sculpts. New units are a plague anyway that leads to codex bloat, ideally an army should have an unchanging roster of units with remakes of the sculpts every 5 years or so as technology marches on, while any new whole new "units" are just character builds.

We sure wouldn't get Breachers if that was the way things were done ... or Contemptors, or Tartaros, or Hunters, or Thunderfire Cannons, or Stormravens, or ... you see where I'm going here?

Primaris sculpts brought me a legion of other old gamers back. If I want to play a style that keeps all the good old days I'd be playing Firstborn. Primaris needs to be different to appeal to different player.

Edited by Dosjetka
=][= Removed antagonistic comments. =][=

We sure wouldn't get Breachers if that was the way things were done ... or Contemptors, or Tartaros, or Hunters, or Thunderfire Cannons, or Stormravens, or ... you see where I'm going here?

Primaris sculpts brought me a legion of other old gamers back. If I want to play a style that keeps all the good old days I'd be playing Firstborn. Primaris needs to be different to appeal to different player.

Primaris doesn't need to strange the enjoyment of the hobbyists who kept the faction alive after you left. It does so. GW's "chasing the new shiny" is why over half the game's factions are in neglect hell/limbo right now.

The current approach to Primaris is why Firstborn fans may as well not bother expecting anything good from GW, so, yes, 1:1 Upgrades would at least force GW to recognize that Firstborn exist and deserve modernization in their own right.

I mean, I don't even have anything against Primaris as a source of bits and variant rules for real Astartes, but when they go for the gimmick stuff like the Not-Rhino-Of-Floating or Not-Terminators, it just feels like bloat when Primaris manage to both hog the release schedule and fail to fill basic gaps in their own roster like melee units- and the less said about idiotic wargear and transport restrictions the better.

Edited by Dosjetka
=][= Edited quote and removed antagonistic comments. =][=

Neglected? You'll find that everyone is getting more support. In the old days a codex might not get updates for 8 years, and a faction could receive no new models in that time.

Are some getting more than others? Yes. However Sisters did just get an entire model line refresh and in the last 5 years entire new factions have been introduced - GSC and AdMech.

Chaos as a whole have received more new kits than Primaris since 8th started.

Edited by Ishagu

Neglected? You'll find that everyone is getting more support. In the old days a codex might not get updates for 8 years, and a faction could receive no new models in that time.

Are some getting more than others? Yes. However Sisters did just get an entire model line refresh and in the last 5 years entire new factions have been introduced - GSC and AdMech.

Chaos as a whole have received more new kits than Primaris since 8th started.

Honestly, your opinion kinda....isn't a credible source, and trying to claim "things were even worse in the old days" is not an adequate defense.

Sisters may as well be a "new" faction given their entire range was metal and older than some of the hobbyists, and citing GW's tendency to turn out entire new factions is...proving my point for me? So thanks I guess?

Half of the various different Chaos factions receiving some new kits- some more extensive than others, hi, Thousand Sons!- doesn't disprove my point at all. Guard's infantry sculpts are ancient. Eldar have one modernized aspect. You couldn't pay me to use Ork infantry sculpts. When was the last time Nids proper had a wave to themselves? And so on and so forth.

Also, nothing you've said addresses the issue of Firstborn being effectively a dead faction waiting to happen at this point.

Primaris doesn't need to strange the enjoyment of the hobbyists who kept the faction alive after you left. It does so. GW's "chasing the new shiny" is why over half the game's factions are in neglect hell/limbo right now.

The current approach to Primaris is why Firstborn fans may as well not bother expecting anything good from GW, so, yes, 1:1 Upgrades would at least force GW to recognize that Firstborn exist and deserve modernization in their own right.

I mean, I don't even have anything against Primaris as a source of bits and variant rules for real Astartes, but when they go for the gimmick stuff like the Not-Rhino-Of-Floating or Not-Terminators, it just feels like bloat when Primaris manage to both hog the release schedule and fail to fill basic gaps in their own roster like melee units- and the less said about idiotic wargear and transport restrictions the better.

Believe it or not but "half of the game's faction are in neglect hell/limbo" has never been more wrong than right now when GW is periodically updating them all. It's easy to forget but in the past the norm was that some factions had to fear not getting an update for a whole edition.

Edited by Dosjetka
=][= Edited quote and removed reference to removed content. =][=

Despite many stating in most threads about this, that primaris are not meant to be a 1:1 switch from old marines (that is, they are not meant to be direct replacements for old units), I believe they are.

Or rather, they should be.

I understand how GW might have tried NOT to make them feel as 1:1 replacements at first. The transition needed to be smooth. But, by now, the pretense is unnecessary. The roles of the old units need to be filled, and the Primaris have to fill them if they are to work properly as stand alone armies in the future.

So, I hope we get Primaris Terminators, Primaris Bikes, Primaris Speeders, and Primaris aircrafts, soon enough.

Edited by Dosjetka
=][= Removed off-topic content. =][=

I'm definitely in favour of them including more variants like melta-armed Hellblasters, etc. Also, part of the way that HH armies avoid doubling up in poses is due to the sheer number of Marine models released, compared to the relatively recent Primaris.

Edited by Dosjetka
=][= Removed off-topic content. =][=

From reading the thread, the one thing that seems to be a point of agreement by many is that Reivers should either be troops, or get scrapped.

In terms of the role they fit in, there always seems to be the better option. If they at least contributed with unlocking some CPs by filling in as Troops for detachments, that would make them much more worth taking.

From reading the thread, the one thing that seems to be a point of agreement by many is that Reivers should either be troops, or get scrapped.

In terms of the role they fit in, there always seems to be the better option. If they at least contributed with unlocking some CPs by filling in as Troops for detachments, that would make them much more worth taking.

Or change them to a Fast Attack slot. The Elite slot is WAY too overcrowded with things that are outright better than them for Reivers to even be a choice.

Hell, my friend who plays Blood Angels is trying to sell off his Reivers because Incursors exist now. A BLOOD ANGEL player is trying to get rid of a MELEE UNIT. Think about that for a minute.

(also, I'm just ignoring the current vitriol, even if I'm in agreement on certain things. Which parts, I'll leave up to the reader)

Edited by Gederas

Is the elite slot that crowded? I mean yes, there’s lots of choices, (are we up to four or five terminator options? 5 dreadnaught options) but if your taking two battalions then you have 6 slots. And probably not enough points to fill them. Or add a character to buff then (jump captain maybe?) and you have a vanguard detachment. Anyway, GW knows what’s coming, and it probably makes more sense once we see the whole picture.

Gotta remember, If GW made Primaris a 1:1 replacement, people with existing armies would be pissed that everything they own is invalidated. Now at least their models still work, even better alongside the new models. So I don’t think we will see a chainsword jump pack Primaris for a little while. But I’m liking the idea of the breached squad. Yeah they’ll need transports, but repulsors are fun.

=][= Approx. 40 minutes had to be spent to edit or remove 39 posts due to antagonistic remarks and/or going too far off onto tangents. This time, it's edits and removals; next time it'll be PMs and Warning Points if necessary targeting those who continue to drag this topic into the mud and ruin people's enjoyment of what was a civil discussion.

As a reminder, this topic is about what you'd like to see in future Primaris expansions, and not "how good/bad Primaris (units) currently are", "should Primaris have equivalent units to Firstborn ones", "this Blood Angels unit is better/worse than this other Primaris unit", etc.

Stick to the topic, folks, and save us all an unnecessary headache. Thank you. =][=

At this point I just want Primaris Veterans. Not elites, since that can be a bunch of things these days, but veteran units. 1st company marines for chapters that have 1st companies.

Chapter specific ones feels really unlikely, but a generic kit like the generic sternguard/vanguard ones would go a looong way.

Oh and a generic techmarine already. The space marine range in general is long overdue a plastic techmarine. Not just IH have vehicles needing mainteance.

Edited by Reinhard

The marine line up is so bloated that I don't really know what i want anymore.   I guess my answer would be - surprise me!

Though we are still sorely lacking in kits for Primaris Ancient on its own, characters with more options (LT, Librarians, Captains)... maybe a Techmarine. 

I want/think a Primaris Codex is inevitable. They just can't/don't want to show us all the moving parts until they've released the product line in a way they feels maximizes profit. There might be those who feels it's unfair, unnecessary, lame, whatever, but there is a real science/art to marketing a product. Info released too soon means a loss on interest while the consumer moves onto the next shiny thing that they can spend their money on right now. Too much all at once means breaking the spending limit their customers can be expected to in a short time period. Again picking and choosing bits and pieces instead of the whole line.

It works (I have miss spent on Hellblasters and Reivers myself) They know it works and it would be ill-responsible of them to doing anything but what works for their shareholders. 

Believe me I want a Prime Codex more than anything, but it's not going to happen until more of the line is released. From everything I've heard and read they had to have a plan that ran for at least 3-5 years of releases. Only until the end of that time am I going to get what I really want.

In the mean time I'd be happy with those Primaris Bikes being real. People want a Sword and Board so bad I bet they release it at the end (hopefully as an Fast Attack in a Speeder Transport that holds 10).

Dream Box Option:

Dual Combat Blades +1A -1AP

Sword  and  Board +1S 5+ Invul

Greatsword +2S

Edited by Dracos

Wishlist Primaris units? Sure!

Primaris Techmarine, as an HQ, as a Thunderfire Cannon gunner and/or Conversion Beamer gunner. Keep the Tremor Shells, and add flares that are also -1 to wound but removes the benefit of cover and any penalty to hit for a turn. Also, add S1 smoke, that when hits it imposes -1 to hit on an enemy unit for a turn. Or fear gas for -1Ld on a unit for a literal leadership bomb.

A Primaris Techmarine in a Warsuit like the Invictus. Drop the stealthy for speed to keep up with vehicles, and the ability to repair them. Swap the gun arm for a servo arm with an underslung assault plasma weapon, and trade the Heavy Bolter side arm for a Heavy Flamer side arm. A Techmarine who not only wakes the ancients, but suits up and says follow me! Now that is 40K!

A Primaris biker, but with a chariot-style side car that can transport 1 character, and it is open topped. Also, let Chaplains preach while embarked, and Librarians use powers. Would be great for the new Primaris Khan, as he did not get a bike of his own.

A Gravis Chaplain, with option to take a vox gadget that extends the range of his prayers, or allows them to target multiple units in range. Even if that was a relic, it would be worth it.

Astartes Shotguns for the Reivers, and Incursors. You want them in close, but you would lose any buffs applying to Bolter Weapons, but you get Assault2 S4, but S5 at half range. Add -1AP during Tactical doctrine and that is just mean before the Assault Doctrine kicks in.

Suppressors with the option to take a Heavy Flamer or a Multimelta. Yeah, I said it. Drop them in front of an enemy that is going to charge on your opponent's next turn, and watch the carnage. Or, hide them in hard cover at the start of the game, and they can be a quick reaction force.

Jump Pack melee Primaris. Ok, hear me out. Did they update Lysander, He'Stan, or any existing Dark Angel character? No, they introduced new characters to take that faction into a new direction fitting the Primaris line. Korsarro Khan as a Primaris did not get a bike, so that does not look good for Primaris bikers. However, they kept Shrike, and Blood Angels are still a thing. They could have made Primaris Kyrin Solaq to keep with the stealthy gunline approach, but they upgraded Shrike, so there will be models that go with him.

Alternatives to the mine for Incursors. Like a teleport beacon that allows friendly <chapter> units deep strike within a short distance of that beacon, but more than 1 inch from enemy models. Or a forward observer kit/model (like the helix adept) to allow indirect fire units to target units they wouldn't normally be able to legally, and/or reroll the number of shots from that <chapter> indirect fire unit.

I have a feeling we won't see any Primaris techmarine for a long time. Considering we got primarised Apoth/Chap/Libby all very quickly released together in the first wave, my own theory is that Feirros was initially earmarked as the primaris techmarine - however he was eventually used to create their special character. I went back and had a look at all the special characters and they are all covered in specifically moulded chapter iconography, only Feirros has nothing special other than a shoulder pad which was probably CADed up at the last second. 

My own wishlist - I'd like a unit similar to what Shrike is, something as a primaris fast attack that can keep up with him so I can recreate Shrike's Wing. 

I have a feeling we won't see any Primaris techmarine for a long time. Considering we got primarised Apoth/Chap/Libby all very quickly released together in the first wave, my own theory is that Feirros was initially earmarked as the primaris techmarine - however he was eventually used to create their special character. I went back and had a look at all the special characters and they are all covered in specifically moulded chapter iconography, only Feirros has nothing special other than a shoulder pad which was probably CADed up at the last second. 

My own wishlist - I'd like a unit similar to what Shrike is, something as a primaris fast attack that can keep up with him so I can recreate Shrike's Wing. 

I mean, that's probably what happened. The designer who made Lazarus actually went and said after people complained how generic he looked for a Named Character stated he was told to make a generic Dark Angels Primaris Captain.